• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lolo Jones on Twitter: Americans will do well in "da gun competition."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, how is my thread relevant?

Person who makes a thread about a Pew-pew movie being rated PG-13 complains about whether or not a thread about an insensitive celebrity tweet is worthwhile? Obviously? Do you usually need your own posts and lines of reasoning restated back to you this way?

Oh look someone making a big deal out of nothing.

I actually agree with this. I can see how people can gasp at it being made in light of the shooting in Colorado, but I don't think that's how it was intended. People on GAF make jokes all the time about how "Americans luv dem guns," so I don't really see the big deal about what she said. Many Americans *do* love guns and many Americans are proud of the fact that they love guns.

She's still a virgin at the age of 29?

CWSA

Person who makes a thread about a Pew-pew movie being rated PG-13 complains about whether or not a thread about an insensitive celebrity tweet is worthwhile? Obviously?

That thread hit a 50 post before this one did. Seems we know what people online care more about right? Also, it wasn't insensitive.

GavinGT

Banned
Is it racist to associate blacks people with ebonics? Sometimes I feel like I'm two years behind GAF's level of political correctness.

I swear skeet shooting was on one of the Track and Field games in the NES days

Main reason why I figured it was already an olympic sport.

edit: Fuck yeah

(oh, and there was also duck hunt)

Are we really getting touchy over this? No harm intended but the frequent use of "da" corresponds a lot with how some African Americans talk in "the hood" and the white people in particular trying to emulate that accent to sound cool.

Don'tcha mean "da hood"

I imagine an older white guy doing quotation marks with his fingers

That thread hit a 50 post before this one did. Seems we know what people online care more about right?

Yeah, go thread counts for retarded Chuck Norris movies, exactly. The point being "people online" like you often care about incredibly stupid things which makes it all the more dumb of you to troll this thread and was the point I've already made several times.

Also, it wasn't insensitive.

Actually it was. Would you like someone making gun jokes around you if one of your relatives were recently killed in a shooting? Well of course you wouldn't feel uncomfortable as long as the joke was "in the right context," amirite? She's a celebrity mouthing off in a public forum, if it was natural for nobody to care she wouldn't have gotten bombarded with replies.

Emwitus

Are we really getting touchy over this? No harm intended but the frequent use of "da" corresponds a lot with how some African Americans talk in "the hood" and the white people in particular trying to emulate that accent to sound cool.

Sorry, didn't want to offend anyone or try to make a racist comment.

Boondocks-Rileypissed.gif

El Sloth

Banned
I'm surprised that so many people didn't know marksmanship is an Olympic sport. I don't think OP even knew.
It's not something you usually hear being talked about. At least not here in the North East U.S.

And it's either been always left out out of those olympic montages or I'm just really oblivious and never noticed it.

Joates

Banned
Look another bandwagon hate thread.. The thread starts over a stupid comment that gets people to overreact.

Not sure whether post #1 or #2 is more asinine to argue about.

Godslay

Banned
smh, screw walking all over this eggshell nonsense. To tie this to the Aurora shooting, you'd have to be reaching farther than Dhalsim.

I said the timing was bad. People's emotions are still high in light of the shooting, so you will see the slightest thing taken out of context.d I don't like it either, but it seems to be the reality of the situation.

Imm0rt4l

Actually it was. Would you like someone making gun jokes around you if one of your relatives were recently killed in a shooting? Well of course you wouldn't feel uncomfortable as long as the joke was "in the right context," amirite?

YOGA FIRE.

I said the timing was bad. People's emotions are still high in light of the shooting, so you will see the slightest thing taken out of context.d I don't like it either, but it seems to be the reality of the situation.

Word. I don't feel that the timing is bad at all though. Timing should be irrelevant seeing as shooting=/=mass murder.

kehs

Banned
Why do people care about the Olympics anymore?

It's like....people doing shit for free that other people are better at monetizing for the sake of nationalism.

Bring back the weapons based Colosseums and then we got a stew going.

GavinGT

Banned
Who says it was a joke? It sounds more like she's decrying Americans' unrelenting acceptance of guns even in light of recent events.

Trey

Why do people care about the Olympics anymore?

It's like....people doing shit for free that other people are better at monetizing for the sake of nationalism.

Bring back the weapons based Colosseums and then we got a stew going.

The Olympics aren't just baseball and basketball.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't get it. What's wrong with her comment?

EDIT: Wait, so mentioning shooting = Aurora? LOL, OK. Human targets aren't used in the shooting competition, are they?

This is confusing me, too. I didn't even think of Aurora until the article mentioned it. I just thought, yeah, American gun culture... so?

Is every mention of guns for the next year or so going to be offensive because of Aurora? Maybe we should just cancel the whole event out of respect.

That comment was very open to personal interpretation, there is so many things she could've been referencing with that comment that it doesn't seem worthwhile to try and infer what she really meant. I honestly didn't even think of the shooting in Aurora when I read that comment.

Reuenthal

Banned
The only thing insensitive in this thread is the OP and its delusions towards a comment that there is nothing wrong with it and the first post's stupidity.

Who would take anyone seriously who uses "words" like that. Youth culture sucks these days.

Also about that whole "talking like a black person" thing. Its not a black thing. Its a hip-hop culture/ youth thing.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
This reminds me, I was at the Portland beer fest last night and I saw a group of about 20 people wearing this shirt:

I'm sure they were just being ironic Portland
smelly douchebag
hipsters though.

Chumly

At first I cringed but you know what? We have shootings every day and gun culture is ridiculously ingrained into American culture to the point where it's just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom