• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lolo Jones on Twitter: Americans will do well in "da gun competition."

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernima

Banned
She's still a virgin at the age of 29?

CWSA

Never understood the appeal of that.

Imm0rt4l

What exactly is insensitive about the tweet?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40381158&postcount=7

lol ok

In other news: America didn't even place in either the men's or woman's pistol shooting competition. China even took the first gold of the games (women's pistol shooting).

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/siling-wins-first-gold-medal-games.html

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/jin-claims-pistol-gold.html

Amerifrauds

in related sf news, I just learned that Guile means fraud.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yet another reason why most celebrities and athletes need to just stay OFF twitter:
I fail to see the outrage, outside of spelling. I am seriously anti-NRA bullshit but she's absolutely right to generalize that American shooters ought to be good. If it were netball and she tweeted the same thing about basketball it would be an identical analogy.

She has nothing to apologize for.

That doesn't mean we don't have a gun problem in this country - but this is a sports and demographics comparison and its innocent

She's lived a pretty rough life from the sounds of it. Mom carried the load, dad in prison.
I didn't know that. Nevertheless, be it the top or the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder, there are, respectively, material distractions and struggles that can obstruct a diverse experience. I'm just giving my take on the matter. Accept it for what it is worth (I'll tell you, it ain't much -I am only one of the billions).

[edit] I'm not implying the "middle" can be any better.

Stinkles

Never understood the appeal of that.
you don't see the appeal of nerve wrackingly awful, inexpert and probably painful and uncomfortable emotionally depressing sex followed by mild to medium depression? Sounds hot.

Arcteryx

I fail to see the outrage, outside of spelling. I am seriously anti-NRA bullshit but she's absolutely right to generalize that American shooters ought to be good. If it were netball and she tweeted the same thing about basketball it would be an identical analogy.

She has nothing to apologize for.

That doesn't mean we don't have a gun problem in this country - but this is a sports and demographics comparison and its innocent

Why? Just because "America likes guns", doesn't mean that we will necessarily be experts in a competition with them. It's pretty clear to me what she meant by it and it was totally un-called for. Beyond that, bringing her fellow Olympians into the fray(skeet, air, AND the archers)...lacks class.

They should seriously outlaw all competitors from using social media.

There shouldn't really be any outrage over this, seems like people are reaching for a reason to be upset. I wish she would've stuck to her guns (lol) though rather than try to come up with an excuse

Imm0rt4l

Why? Just because "America likes guns", doesn't mean that we will necessarily be experts in a competition with them. It's pretty clear to me what she meant by it and it was totally un-called for. Beyond that, bringing her fellow Olympians into the fray(skeet, air, AND the archers)...lacks class.

I think it wouldn't be far reaching to think even half jokingly that America might have some really good marksmen. Hell, the US Marine corps prides itself in its marksmen that it claims as some of the best in the world. Add to the fact that relative to the rest of the world we have a lot of people who own and or have shot guns and I'd say it's not reaching far at all.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
It's like Christmas everyday with Twitter, I wonder what tomorrow's big Twitter controversy gift will be? Oh I can't wait to open it!

Also, so Lolo passes the were/where/we're test that gaffers fail often, and her use of "da" is being used to launch commentary on her intelligence?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is it just me or is society getting really sensetive to people's comments all of a sudden?

I don't think it's really a shift in people's attitudes... More like twitter allowing people to say all kinds of things, twitter allowing the lunatic fringe of offended people to gang up, and click-hungry blogs trying to make mountains out of molehills.

Can I just make this clear: I never give a shit what anyone says. Freedom of speech. Thick skin. These are good things.

This need to punish, chastise people for their words? Grow up and move on with your lives.

Is it just me or is society getting really sensetive to people's comments all of a sudden?

I don't think it's really a shift in people's attitudes... More like twitter allowing people to say all kinds of things, twitter allowing the lunatic fringe of offended people to gang up, and click-hungry blogs trying to make mountains out of molehills.

Can I just make this clear: I never give a shit what anyone says. Freedom of speech. Thick skin. These are good things.

This need to punish, chastise people for their words? Grow up and move on with your lives.

it's not society, it's gaf that is getting more sensitive lately. some of that sensitivity is long overdue, but some of it just seems like people looking for an excuse to get outraged.

Stinkles

First amendment is actually a good one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update: Lolo Jones defended herself from criticism. Note our careful avoidance of the word "apologized."

"sorry u guys only think of violence but I think of all the hunting I do w southerners in da south. Its impressive."

It is interesting though because the commentators of the archery competition were talking about how one of the American top archers grew up bow hunting in the south, so he was exposed to it and learned from an early age.

So I can see what she could have been thinking but failed to put artfully into 140 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom