• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lolo Jones on Twitter: Americans will do well in "da gun competition."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is society getting really sensetive to people's comments all of a sudden?

I don't think it's really a shift in people's attitudes... More like twitter allowing people to say all kinds of things, twitter allowing the lunatic fringe of offended people to gang up, and click-hungry blogs trying to make mountains out of molehills.

Can I just make this clear: I never give a shit what anyone says. Freedom of speech. Thick skin. These are good things.

This need to punish, chastise people for their words? Grow up and move on with your lives.

The media rides the backs people to make some money. Bitchmedia, and people respond nicely to it.

Why? Just because "America likes guns", doesn't mean that we will necessarily be experts in a competition with them. It's pretty clear to me what she meant by it and it was totally un-called for. Beyond that, bringing her fellow Olympians into the fray(skeet, air, AND the archers)...lacks class.

They should seriously outlaw all competitors from using social media.

...America doesn't just "like" guns. We have a deep, passionate, Kristen Stewart and her past five directors type relationship with guns. An unhealthy obsession with guns. If you made a list of the top five things about America it would be something like capital-F Freedom, guns, hamburgers, bombs, and soda. It is, for better and worse, one of our things.

She is clearly referring to that. We can't just build a massive gun culture for hundreds of years and then shut it down every time there's a gun tragedy. There's a gun related tragedy multiple times a day.

America loves guns. She playfully posted about that. You know, like "you got me in Scramble but watch out in Hangman!". To tie this to Aurora you have to dig real deep, like others have said.

it's not society, it's gaf that is getting more sensitive lately. some of that sensitivity is long overdue, but some of it just seems like people looking for an excuse to get outraged.
I see no outrage expressed in this thread (aside from an early speed-bump). Outrage is not implicit in criticism.

The Tweet is less offensive (if you want to call it that), than it is tactless. I feel to go from Italy winning Archery by one epic shot, that fell within the ten-point center by a hair (congrats Italy), to “we'll beat the rest of the world in shooting,” doesn't foster international goodwill; it can be seen (at worst) as augmenting over-competitiveness and acting as a “bad loser.” It reflects on the whole team and was unnecessary. I don't think it will completely ruin the games for anyone.

I can see what she could have been thinking but failed to put artfully into 140 characters.
A very fair point to make but does not absolve her from the nature of the comment.

She looks like a slender and lanky version of Rashida Jones.

Rashida-Jones.jpg

Lolo-Jones-seven-things-Splash.jpg

Damn, just like Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel.

Imm0rt4l

I see no outrage expressed in this thread (aside from an early speed-bump). Outrage is not implicit in criticism.

The Tweet is less offensive (if you want to call it that), than it is tactless. I feel to go from Italy winning Archery by one epic shot, that fell within the ten-point center by a hair (congrats Italy), to “we'll beat the rest of the world in shooting,” doesn't foster international goodwill; it can be seen (at worst) as augmenting over-competitiveness and acting as a “bad loser.” It reflects on the whole team and was unnecessary. I don't think it will completely ruin the games for anyone.

A very fair point to make but does not absolve her from the nature of the comment.

You're reaching, man. It's a competition.

C4Lukins

Terrible timing, but I would not consider that to be an offensive comment at any other time. Not sure what the author is getting at with that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
doesn't foster international goodwill; it can be seen (at worst) as augmenting over-competitiveness and acting as a “bad loser.”

Indeed. I completely agree. It is tactless and poor sportsmanship. But I would not generalize it to the whole American team or anything, its just her.

GavinGT

Banned
Sure maybe 15 years ago. Its evolved beyond racial connections now. Now it's just stupid people who can't be bothered to spell full words.

I just don't think there's anything wrong with associating a certain dialect with the group of people who originally created it.

Measley

People getting mad over the comment are being ridiculous.

Lolo Jones is also hot. Love her look. I'm sure whoever bangs her first is going to have a great time.

AntoneM

Glad to know GAF always uses proper grammar at all times and has never misspelled anything.

If you can see the difference between a typo and grammatical errors and purposely misspelling and using poor grammar, maybe you should take a break from the internet.

Enosh

*googles her*
sooo is she like related to Rashida Jones or something?
edit: well I'm not the only one thinking it ^^

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Glad to know GAF always uses proper grammar at all times and has never misspelled anything.

Yes, it's the internet, and people don't always hold expectations for that kind of thing on Twitter/IMs/etc. But she's a public figure, and I feel she can afford to not write/sound like a kid.

bud

http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Rashida-Jones.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/Lolo-Jones-seven-things-Splash.jpg[IMG]

Damn, just like Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel.[/QUOTE]

rashida's beautiful; this woman is okay-looking at best.

Onemic

If you can see the difference between a typo and grammatical errors and purposely misspelling and using poor grammar, maybe you should take a break from the internet.

And that's an exclusively black thing? Purposely misspelling words on teh internetz?

midonnay

Lol at people crying over Bacon's comment but hardly a soul gives a shit when some American is ignorant over 7/7. Typical.

But silly thing to say on twitter.

didn't NBC cut the entire tribute to the tragedy from their coverage of the Opening ceremony?

thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more offensive than some off the cuff remark on twitter.

This is a really, really over-sensitive thing to get upset about. She Tweeted about an Olympic event. An international sporting event. We use guns in sports.

lucius

Aren't we usually pretty good in the shooting events, not positive but does not seem like she meant we would win the gun shooting killing people event if they had one, which US would obvisously beat every country in.

Kurdel

Banned
Aren't we usually pretty good in the shooting events, not positive but does not seem like she meant we would win the gun shooting killing people event if they had one, which US would obvisously beat every country in.

To be fair, does any country in the world have a better K/D ratio? Stricly speaking military here, no civilians.

You guys win every war, and then some.

so, Agent Unknown and the person that wrote that article (maybe also Agent Unknown?) the only people that thinks this is offensive or in any way important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom