• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

masud

Banned
Cricket and baseball should be in and that asian kicking net game that I always forget the name of despite being told in this thread. Dressage, synchro, rhythmic, basketball, boxing should be out.

What?
2 point game wtf Spain...

Jonogunn

427000_454315927932084_780360725_n.jpg

It's bigger than baseball, it's by far the most popular sport in South Asia and that is a 1.5 billion audience.
No it's not. Baseball is played by 16 nations as of 2009 WBC, and in 2013, total of 28 countries will play baseball.

Baseball is huge worldwide, including American continents, European, and as far as Far East Asia.

The number easily exceeds popularity of cricket.

numble

It's bigger than baseball, it's by far the most popular sport in South Asia and that is a 1.5 billion audience.
For Olympics, it's not about audience, it's about countries and regions. You might as well have Wushu, Dragon Boat Racing, Cheling, etc. since it's popular in China and East/Southeast Asia.

Big-E

That would be if they can get past the whole corruption thing. Did you see the Japan Azerbaijan bout? http://deadspin.com/5931226/was-this-disgraceful-olympic-boxing-match-fixed

Fuck this Olympics. Other boxers should not even be competing right now over this horseshit. Dropped 5 times and win a round? Go fuck yourself IOC letting these fuckers do this. IOC is such a joke, suspend the badminton players because Rogge was there but not address this right away? FUCK YOU.

No it's not. Baseball is played by 16 nations as of 2009 WBC, and in 2013, total of 28 countries will play baseball.

Baseball is huge worldwide, including American continents, European, and as far as Far East Asia.

Sorry baseball isn't popular in Europe.

Yours sincerely,
A European.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fuck this Olympics. Other boxers should not even be competing right now over this horseshit. Dropped 5 times and win a round? Go fuck yourself IOC letting these fuckers do this. IOC is such a joke, suspend the badminton players because Rogge was there but not address this right away? FUCK YOU.

It's not the IOC's call, games are refereed by the governing bodies of the sports.

masud

Banned

Baseball is probably played at a high level in more contries (which is really what matters in the Oympics) but Cricket is more popular, there are a lot of people in India.

Sorry baseball isn't popular in Europe.

Yours sincerely,
A European.

Neither is Cricket really...

Sealda

Banned
This isn't even close to the truth. Pretty much only the elite of the elite basketball players (like a Lebron) earn rockstar status that young. Nobody even knew who Missy Franklin was two weeks ago.

Well, i did not mean that. But with rockstar status, i mean they get all the gurls.

Like, if your a swimmer in college or high school, you can walk around, and people will say hi to you everywhere.

In china, nobody will now you, you will earn nothing, and you will live your days in training facilities with other training teenagers. In the weekends, you will be free to have fun, but basically, no one will now you and you will only have friends from your training group etc etc.

Sports in College is huge, and all around you, people will think you are super awesome.

Big-E

What?
2 point game wtf Spain...

Woman's basketball is the ugliest sport in the Olympics. Women's basketball is played at not a high level compared to the men. Every other sport you don't feel like they are far worse than the men but that is the case with basketball. I get bored with olympic basketball even if I watch it normally. The World Baseball Classic I enjoyed more than any basketball tournament.

Baseball is probably played at a high level in more contries (which is really what matters in the Oympics) but Cricket is more popular, there are a lot of people in India.
Number of population is irrelevant. It's still considered one country playing. It's the number of countries that participate in the sport.

Big-E

It's not the IOC's call, games are refereed by the governing bodies of the sports.

And you are ignorant if you think the IOC doesn't have their hands in stuff like this. The fact that Rogge was watching the badminton is a big reason why the punishment was big. The IOC has power over what is going on at these games.

giga

Well, i did not mean that. But with rockstar status, i mean they get all the gurls.

Like, if your a swimmer in college or high school, you can walk around, and people will say hi to you everywhere.

In china, nobody will now you, you will earn nothing, and you will live your days in training facilities with other training teenagers. In the weekends, you will be free to have fun, but basically, no one will now you and you will only have friends from your training group etc etc.

Sports in College is huge, and all around you, people will think you are super awesome.
Lol nope. Unless you're the QB in football or the star PG/whatever in basketball, no one knows you.

Jensen

The last cricket world cup had 104 entrants and 14 participants from Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. I have no problem with baseball being an Olympic sport but I would also like to see cricket become an Olympic sport. I think the sport has the global reach and popularity, the biggest stumbling block is the tournament commitments of the international players.

datruth29

Ugh, GB is letting this go! They were SOOO close!

Woman's basketball is the ugliest sport in the Olympics. Women's basketball is played at not a high level compared to the men. Every other sport you don't feel like they are far worse than the men but that is the case with basketball. I get bored with olympic basketball even if I watch it normally. The World Baseball Classic I enjoyed more than any basketball tournament.

What? Maybe in the rest of the world, but in the US woman's basketball is played at a pretty high level.

Nesotenso

These were the countries taking part in a 2009 qualifier for associate members in the 2011 WC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_ICC_World_Cup_Qualifier#Teams

These were the teams that participated in the 2011 WC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cricket_World_Cup#List_of_qualified_teams

The Caribbean nations Like Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica etc. compete under the West Indian banner. Number wise it's close and population wise no contest because of South Asia ( where it is the number one game)

Simplet

It's funny I thought the exact opposite when I watched the basketball game the other day. To me women's footbal just looks terrible, and in Basketball they actually looked competent.

I guess it's just that you're used to men's Basketball and I'm used to men's football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom