• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodWinked

Cricket and baseball should be in and that asian kicking net game that I always forget the name of despite being told in this thread. Dressage, synchro, rhythmic, basketball, boxing should be out.

agree with the others but why syncro? its obscure and entertaining which is exactly what the olympics should be about.

Big-E

The one reason I'm not a huge fan of baseball being an Olympic sport is that I can't see anyone but US winning it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with cricket there are a lot of nations that would have a shot.

No. Japan won both World Baseball Classics and just look at the majors, there are players from all over. Even Canada can field a competitive team and a ton of South Americans can to. Even Brazil is growing as they have their first ever major leaguer now.

Jezbollah

Luol Deng must be heart broken. Can't blame him ever for the loss though. He is the heart of the team. Brilliant game by him except the ending turnovers.

To be honest, I dont know any of the guys playing for my national Basketball team.

But yeah, considering Basketball is invisible to us in the UK, it was a good display.

SuperBonk

The one reason I'm not a huge fan of baseball being an Olympic sport is that I can't see anyone but US winning it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with cricket there are a lot of nations that would have a shot.

USA didn't send pros when it was an Olympic sport. In fact, I think Japan usually won in the Olympics but I'm not sure. A lot of the players in the MLB are from Latin America as well.

But even if that were the case, why are basketball and table tennis Olympic sports?

Lkr

There are different forms of the game. Test cricket can last up to five days (playing from 11am to 6pm or so with breaks for lunch and tea), and if there is no result after five days it is a draw. One-day cricket is one day of a similar length but there is a 'newer' form of the game which is just 20 overs a side and lasts around three-and-a-half hours. Perfect for the Olympics and designed to finally get an American audience into the game.

so i know nothing about cricket, but reading that they stop for lunch breaks made me laugh, although it does make sense if they are playing that long

Big-E

agree with the others but why syncro? its obscure and entertaining which is exactly what the olympics should be about.

Synchro swimming. I am not a fan of the dancing stuff like synchro swimming and ice dance in the winter games. Normal pairs figure skating is fine but the ice dancing is just fucking weird.

Wtf is this shit, where are your proofs of cheating? Why can't you compliment others while celebrating your country? An if you don't want to give others credit at least try to be respectful.

Yeah, i hate it too. on top of the abrasive nationalism, the guilty until innocent portion rubs me the wrong way.

USA didn't send pros when it was an Olympic sport. In fact, I think Japan usually won in the Olympics but I'm not sure. A lot of the players in the MLB are from Latin America as well.

But even if that were the case, why are basketball and table tennis Olympic sports?

No, the Cubans typically won.

And then occasionally defected to play in the MLB.

Brinbe

There are different forms of the game. Test cricket can last up to five days (playing from 11am to 6pm or so with breaks for lunch and tea), and if there is no result after five days it is a draw. One-day cricket is one day of a similar length but there is a 'newer' form of the game which is just 20 overs a side and lasts around three-and-a-half hours. Perfect for the Olympics and designed to finally get an American audience into the game.

Yep, I agree, one-day would work well. The sport was always impenetrable to follow until I sat through the 2011 world cup and taught myself. It's pretty damn simple once you get everything down. All those sixes would get people hype, no doubt.

USA wouldn't send any of the good players because there is no way MLB is stopping their season. Usually Cuba won when it was an Olympic sport.

Fair enough, I just wasn't sure. I suspected it'd be very one sided.

British girls not representing full body suits \o/ Dampney is quite the beaut.

Sealda

Banned
Despite what movies tell you, the only sports that matter in high school and college in the US are football and basketball. Playing those sports might get you laid.

The only reason you get laid for being a swimmer is because you are in good shape. No one gives two shits if your the greatest swimmer since Phelps until you get to the Olympics.

Thats interesting to hear.

3Sixty

so i know nothing about cricket, but reading that they stop for lunch breaks made me laugh, although it does make sense if they are playing that long

Just got to be careful not to inside edge on your leg stump off a doosra from an off-break bowler.

masud

Banned

No not at all, Japan and Dominican Republic would probably be ranked ahead of the us. (especially since the us wouldn't be able to send mlb players) several other countries could put up competitive teams also (Mexico, china, Puerto rico, Cuba ect)

Sky Chief

Yeah, i hate it too. on top of the abrasive nationalism, the guilty until innocent portion rubs me the wrong way.

You really believe those gymnasts in Beijing were 15/16? I believe that's what he was referring to. There was a lot of evidence to prove that they were underage.

Olympic baseball would be a much better competitive event than basketball, I think the only reason that basketball is still in is the star power it brings to the table from a few of the teams.

edit: one of the british beach volleyball players...I think I'm in love. great atmosphere too at the game.

ok, I give it to BRA for that kick save in Women's Volleyball against KOR

Good effort

Not as flashy as I imagined it would be, but I can definitely see why the crowd watching it live got hyped.

HoodWinked

its stupid how they got rid of baseball because the major league players didnt play.

but then you have boxing which has been plagued with problems forever and is exclusively amateurs if theres a candidate to be removed from the olympics boxing is it.

Jezbollah

its stupid how they got rid of baseball because the major league players didnt play.

but then you have boxing which has been plagued with problems forever and is exclusively amateurs if theres a candidate to be removed from the olympics boxing is it.

I dont know about that - Olympic boxing has been the launching pads for the careers of the likes of Ali, Lennox Lewis etc.

If anything, it'll stay there for a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom