• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacbois

That Baseball vs. Cricket debate is pointless. Thèque should be an Olympic sport, that's all.

I think only French-GAF might get this one :D

Randdalf

Real shame we didn't manage to get T20 Cricket in this Olympics.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_icc-mulling-introducing-t20-cricket-in-olympics-by-2020_1637814

Says that it might return in 2020. Golf and Rugby Sevens are the new events in 2016. It's funny, because London is probably the best city for hosting both of those new events, especially Cricket.

For those that don't know, T20 Cricket is where each team bowls 20 overs, which is 120 balls (pitches/throws) and tries to get the highest score. Any other form would probably take too long and possibly be too tiring on the players, though you could squeeze ODI cricket (45 overs) onto the same schedule as the football tournament. T20 is fun, and probably the most exciting from a spectator's standpoint, but it's not considered the most skillful form of Cricket since players tend to just try to hit it as hard as they can rather then play more tactically. Test cricket, which lasts 5 days, with no over limit, and you just bat until you're all out to end an innings (of which each team has 2 this time), would obviously not fit on an Olympic schedule at all.

Big-E

It's funny I thought the exact opposite when I watched the basketball game the other day. To me women's footbal just looks terrible, and in Basketball they actually looked competent.

I guess it's just that you're used to men's Basketball and I'm used to men's football.

I am more use to men's football than basketball. Have you seen a WNBA game?

Well, i did not mean that. But with rockstar status, i mean they get all the gurls.

Like, if your a swimmer in college or high school, you can walk around, and people will say hi to you everywhere.

In china, nobody will now you, you will earn nothing, and you will live your days in training facilities with other training teenagers. In the weekends, you will be free to have fun, but basically, no one will now you and you will only have friends from your training group etc etc.

Sports in College is huge, and all around you, people will think you are super awesome.

Despite what movies tell you, the only sports that matter in high school and college in the US are football and basketball. Playing those sports might get you laid.

The only reason you get laid for being a swimmer is because you are in good shape. No one gives two shits if your the greatest swimmer since Phelps until you get to the Olympics.

SuperBonk

I think cricket and baseball should both be in since they actually do have a pretty diverse level of competition (cricket is played competitively on every continent except South America).

Stuff like equestrian should be removed.

Chili

I can see why cricket would have previously been a bit difficult to have in considering the games used to last a day but now with T20 around I would be extremely disappointed if it doesn't make it into the Olympics by 2020. Went to Lords to watch the archery finals today (Aida <3) but I couldn't stop thinking about how great Olympic cricket could have been there.

Edit: They should specify that it is T20 Cricket though as an event, so as not to be confused with the superior other forms of the game.

Jezbollah

I think cricket and baseball should both be in since they actually do have a pretty diverse level of competition (cricket is played competitively on every continent except South America).

Stuff like equestrian should be removed.

You are right in all areas.

I was actually disappointed that Baseball was removed from this olympics - I know GB has a team that has played in the European championships - I was fully prepared to go to see Baseball in London. Shame, that.

SUPREME1

Banned
US finally caught up to China in the Gold column, while having the overall lead in the medal count.

Things are looking good.

No Beijing, no more (blatant) cheating for China.
Aside from the swimmer on Bane juice

HoodWinked

It's funny I thought the exact opposite when I watched the basketball game the other day. To me women's footbal just looks terrible, and in Basketball they actually looked competent.

I guess it's just that you're used to men's Basketball and I'm used to men's football.

judo has a huge gulf between men and woman, mens looks like martial arts exciting lots of movement and powerful throws. womens is like watching two falling over each other and getting points incidentally and they're always kicking each others feet because nearly all points come from trips and not throws.

3Sixty

Actually, Guyana would compete. ;)

Great game from GB there.

Unlucky to lose by a point.

Simplet

I am more use to men's football than basketball. Have you seen a WNBA game?

Nope. Only women's basketball game I watched in my life is half of France/Australia a few days ago. Might have watched a few minutes of other matches here and there.

Jezbollah

I thought a single game could go for 3 days sometimes.

You have various formats of Cricket. You are talking about a five day Test match or a four day domestic match.

Then you have limited overs, that can range from one day for a 50 over match to the most recent invention, Twenty20, where both teams get 20 overs - that can take up to four hours to play, weather depending of course.

Alx

Cricket and baseball should be in and that asian kicking net game that I always forget the name of despite being told in this thread. Dressage, synchro, rhythmic, basketball, boxing should be out.

Sepak Takraw.
Takraw.jpg

I learnt about it on NeoGaf and I agree, we should see more of it. ^^

985boi

Britain's horrible decision making cost them the game. Took the fouls when they didn't need to and the one foul that they should have taken, they didn't.

The one reason I'm not a huge fan of baseball being an Olympic sport is that I can't see anyone but US winning it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with cricket there are a lot of nations that would have a shot.

woolley

Well, i did not mean that. But with rockstar status, i mean they get all the gurls.

Like, if your a swimmer in college or high school, you can walk around, and people will say hi to you everywhere.

In china, nobody will now you, you will earn nothing, and you will live your days in training facilities with other training teenagers. In the weekends, you will be free to have fun, but basically, no one will now you and you will only have friends from your training group etc etc.

Sports in College is huge, and all around you, people will think you are super awesome.
Yea... You clearly have no idea what your talking about.

datruth29

WHAT IN THE FUCK?!?!?! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY LET THAT HAPPEN?!?! TOTAL FUCKING BUZZKILL WAY TO END A BBALL GAME, FUCKING TACKLING IF YOU HAVE TO!

Randdalf

Isn't cricket like 5 hours long? I've had a customer watch that shit whole day on my desk while I work on his files.

It varies
- T20 cricket usually lasts for about 3 hours
- ODI cricket lasts all day
- Test cricket lasts 5 days

Very few people actually watch cricket above T20 for extended periods of time, you usually just check in to see somebody get out or check the score. It's a sport you have on in the background and most of the exciting stuff happens near the end.

Lkr

this is two games in a row where i wondered wtf GB was doing at the end

why are all these people leaving, don't they want to see a real team?

Chili

Isn't cricket like 5 hours long? I've had a customer watch that shit whole day on my desk while I work on his files.

There are different forms of the game. Test cricket can last up to five days (playing from 11am to 6pm or so with breaks for lunch and tea), and if there is no result after five days it is a draw. One-day cricket is one day of a similar length but there is a 'newer' form of the game which is just 20 overs a side and lasts around three-and-a-half hours. Perfect for the Olympics and designed to finally get an American audience into the game.

G17

holy fuck spain, almost beaten by us and no one here even gives a shit about basketball

Luol Deng must be heart broken. Can't blame him ever for the loss though. He is the heart of the team. Brilliant game by him except the ending turnovers.

Kikujiro

US finally caught up to China in the Gold column, while having the overall lead in the medal count.

Things are looking good.

No Beijing, no more (blatant) cheating for China.
Aside from the swimmer on Bane juice

Wtf is this shit, where are your proofs of cheating? Why can't you compliment others while celebrating your country? An if you don't want to give others credit at least try to be respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom