• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen dated - Oct. 28 (NA) Oct 31 (EU)

addyb

This game is going to divide opinions like Moses parting the red sea man. Damn.

Like most games these days. Destiny, drive club and evil within prime examples. I Don't care for reviews. I just look at some streams and make my mind up from them.

Karak

Like most games these days. Destiny, drive club and evil within prime examples. I Don't care for reviews. I just look at some streams and make my mind up from them.

I sincerely don't think this one will be like those. For various reasons. We will see though.

Kensuke

I found a way to completely break this game in terms of DPS.

First of all choose the class with deception magic, because you want the mimic skill. Start investing in strength as soon as possible, you'll need 22 eventually. Play the game until you get to the graveyard boss (3rd boss, a few hours in).

Open the door to the catacombs door in the boss room (you aren't supposed to go here yet). Go past the checkpoint and through the hallway that has this big swordsman with a shield. You don't have to kill him, just open the first door to your right in the hallway with a rune. This room has a weapon called 'My Axe' and needs 22 strength to equip.

Continue the story until you can craft runes and make some until you get a few good ones with the luck attribute. Put them in the axe to up the strength scaling. Right now my axe has 142 physical damage and the scaling gives it +89. It miles better than anything you get for a good long while. Use your mimic skill and R2 to wreck anything into oblivion.

Card Boy

Banned
Gotta love the people blindly pre-ordering. People where showing off and acting like smart-asses with their Driveclub pre-orders and look how that game turned out.

Seriously wait afew days FFS.

Karak

First of all choose the class with deception magic, because you want the mimic skill. Start investing in strength as soon as possible, you'll need 22 eventually. Play the game until you get to the graveyard boss (3rd boss, a few hours in).

Open the door to the catacombs door in the boss room (you aren't supposed to go here yet). Go past the checkpoint and through the hallway that has this big swordsman with a shield. You don't have to kill him, just open the first door to your right in the hallway with a rune. This room has a weapon called 'My Axe' and needs 22 strength to equip.

Continue the story until you can craft runes and make some until you get a few good ones with the luck attribute. Put them in the axe to up the strength scaling. Right now my axe has 142 physical damage and the scaling gives it +89. It miles better than anything you get for a good long while. Use your mimic skill and R2 to wreck anything into oblivion.

I can't talk about it cause I am reviewing it but Mimic is...unique.

addyb

Gotta love the people blindly pre-ordering. People who showing off and acting like smart-asses with their Driveclub pre-orders and look how that game turned out.

I pre ordered drive club because again based on footage I knew I'd like it. Turns out I love it. Yes the online side is a complete shambles but the core SP is great imo.

I tend to "blindly buy" all the time. If it turns out I don't like the game i'll sell it on straight away. I'm sorry if that sounds like being a smart ass and I appreciate I may be in the minority with how I do things but I simply don't need reviews to tell me whether to buy a game. Same applies to movie and music reviews.

Like I said its pre ordered and will see for myself. If I find it crap it gets sold and I'll move onto something else. :)

Tak3n

Banned

Was the same in the souls games.... I remember getting the sword from the dragon by shooting his tail 150 times...

Sanctuary

I'm hoping its a surprise like mordor was.

You mean surprisingly fun for about seven hours, until it turns into the game your initial impressions led you to believe it was?

Aka, rush to the Claymore or Drake sword. Doubt it really "breaks the game" in terms of DPS since DPS isn't how much damage you do in a single hit anyway. I obviously haven't played the game yet, but I would think the XP multiplier/loot chance modifier would have a greater impact. Which seems to be a contradiction of sorts since it would just make the game easier to exploit rather than remain challenging. You are basically doing something challenging to make the game less challenging.

Sentenza

People should look at who's making this before pre ordering just on the premise of Dark Souls lite.
We knew who was working on this way before it was even showed to the public.
It also seems to be a massive departure from their previous productions both in terms of style and budget, so holding to that doesn't really tell anything useful.

In short, I'm not sure what's your point.
But I would guess you didn't have a point at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gotta love the people blindly pre-ordering. People where showing off and acting like smart-asses with their Driveclub pre-orders and look how that game turned out.

I didn't follow Driveclub's pre-release marketing campaign, but with Lords of the Fallen there is a wealth of gameplay footage available. More than enough to make an informed pre-purchase, I'd say.

addyb

People should look at who's making this before pre ordering just on the premise of Dark Souls lite.

People should watch some streams and see if they like the look of it. If still undecided wait for reviews.

Can't wait for this to drop on my doorstep. Already thinking of what build I'll go for. Seen some pretty cool weapons as well.

Shari

We knew who was working on this way before it was even showed to the public.
It also seems to be a massive departure from their previous productions both in terms of style and budget, so holding to that doesn't really tell anything useful.

In short, I'm not sure what's your point.
But I would guess you didn't have a point at all.

Who needs a point to rant anyway.

Seems like everybody is leaning towards the warrior build in videos/streams. Am I the only one interested in the cleric? Seems like it will be a good balance between warrior/rogue in terms of mobility and defense, and who doesn't want to swing a giant hammer? The multi hitting staffs seem interesting also.

Card Boy

Banned
I didn't follow Driveclub's pre-release marketing campaign, but with Lords of the Fallen there is a wealth of gameplay footage available. More than enough to make an informed pre-purchase, I'd say.

There was tones of Driveclub footage before release and it looked good, people should just wait 2-3 days. It's not worth getting burned over because people are impatient, big deal if you miss out on some weapon pre-order crap. People can do whatever they want with their money but my advice is to wait considering the devs past output.

cheezcake

Seems like everybody is leaning towards the warrior build in videos/streams. Am I the only one interested in the cleric? Seems like it will be a good balance between warrior/rogue in terms of movement speed, and who doesn't want to swing a giant hammer? The multi hitting staffs seem interesting aslo.

I'll wait until more impressions/reviews but I'm thinking rogue. Heavy armour just reduces the damage you take so much and "tank" isn't really the sort of playstyle I like.

martino

Minuses:

''Vomiting camera''
''Generic environnements''...and Fifty shades of Brown lol...
''Awful tracking of secondary quests''
''Confusing levels''....and apparently the French voices are ridiculous but most of you dont care about that ;)

Plus...

Interesting Combo system.
Classy armor and weapons.
A few Epic Boss battles.

minus seems to be shared with ds (apart da dislike of reviewer and vomiting camera but i think it comes more from framerate and tearing of the unpatched ps4 he reviewed the game with)

addyb

There was tones of Driveclub footage before release and it looked good, people should just wait 2-3 days. It's not worth getting burned over because people are impatient, big deal if you miss out on some weapon pre-order crap. People can do whatever they want with their money but my advice is to wait considering the devs past output.

I don't think I've ever used any pre order bonus. All my games get moved on with those intact. I'm not impatient. I've got about 10 games pre ordered. Some I forget about so it's a nice surprise when they come through the letter box :)

Sentenza

Seems like everybody is leaning towards the warrior build in videos/streams. Am I the only one interested in the cleric?
I'm actually planning of going cleric as well.
But I don't have a strong rational reason for that, I just like the default look more than the other two options.

Beside that, as I already argued in some other thread I'm getting the feeling this game gives off a far more convincing sense of weight when you are using slow and heavy weapons, compared to how the fast and light ones look.
So I'm definitely avoiding rogue, at least at first.

addyb

I think im going to start and build a tank and see how I get on. In a lot of streams I see nimble builds as I heard rolling is better than using the shield but I want to see what it's like with really heavy armour and big ass shield lol.

Should last 10 mins before I treat that as a bad idea and go more agile :)

Kensuke

Aka, rush to the Claymore or Drake sword. Doubt it really "breaks the game" in terms of DPS since DPS isn't how much damage you do in a single hit anyway. I obviously haven't played the game yet, but I would think the XP multiplier/loot chance modifier would have a greater impact. Which seems to be a contradiction of sorts since it would just make the game easier to exploit rather than remain challenging. You are basically doing something challenging to make the game less challenging.

I assure you it's on a whole different level from the Drake Sword. This axe coupled with the upped scaling with runes is way too strong.

The XP multiplier doesn't make a huge difference. You get .02 added per kill. So you need 50 kills to get the multiplier to 2x. Before you get there you'll probably face a boss or strong enemy that will kill you.

Sanctuary

I assure you it's on a whole different level from the Drake Sword. This axe coupled with the upped scaling with runes is way too strong.

The XP multiplier doesn't make a huge difference. You get .02 added per kill. So you need 50 kills to get the multiplier to 2x. Before you get there you'll probably face a boss or strong enemy that will kill you.

I wasn't talking about the gains you get towards leveling. You're also supposed to have an increased chance for better gear to drop the higher your multiplier gets. I guess it wouldn't make as much of a difference if you keep dying early on, or there's no way to actually face a decent amount of enemies before reaching your first boss that will most likely kill you. I thought it had more to do with checkpoint skipping anyway.

Kensuke

I wasn't talking about the gains you get towards leveling. You're also supposed to have an increased chance for better gear to drop the higher your multiplier gets. I guess it wouldn't make as much of a difference if you keep dying early on, or there's no way to actually face a decent amount of enemies before reaching your first boss that will most likely kill you. I thought it had more to do with checkpoint skipping anyway.

Monsters barely drop any gear and if they do it's worthless. They do drop runes though, which you really want. So yeah, keeping the multiplier up does help.

You can actually refill your potions and get the checkpoint without resetting the multiplier. The only thing that resets it is dying or banking XP.

Yeah pretty much. I watch some playthrough gameplay if I'm really undecided and see whether i get a 'feel' for the game.

Haunted

Seems like everybody is leaning towards the warrior build in videos/streams. Am I the only one interested in the cleric? Seems like it will be a good balance between warrior/rogue in terms of mobility and defense, and who doesn't want to swing a giant hammer? The multi hitting staffs seem interesting also.
The fighter/warrior/soldier class is the default for a majority of gamers, that's just how it is.

People will usually pick the melee/fighting type over magic or roguery. Though to be fair, I must say that in this game, the character design and the feel of the main character (in promotional material, without really knowing the story or anything) has been really emphasised to be a tough, burly, fighting type of character, imo.

Driveclubs problem revolve around its online component, and it relying heavily on that, terrible analogy since this game doesnt do that

addyb

10-12 hours. There is NG+.

I heard it was more 15 hours. I guess if you properly explore and depending on your skill you could add a fair bit. Like dark souls though it's the kind of game I'll dive into NG+ straight after. If I like it that is!!

i-Jest

I knew this would be a stealth release. To much competition this month and next. Not many will pay attention to this game.

Hedge

Oh wow, the release date totally flew under my radar. I thought it was getting released way later.
Either way, I'm still holding off a buy untill I watch a few streams. So far the official streams I've seen look very.. same-y.

I don't get what point you're trying to make, if there is one at all. Looks like you're just throwing shade for, well, fuck all reason. 'Smart-asses'? Please.

There's a wealth of gameplay, user impressions in this thread, and some of us, like myself, have actually played the game at tradeshows. There's enough out there to come to a decision as to whether or not it's a day one purchase or not. How you managed to squeeze some kind of snarky retort about Drive Club is beyond me.

Jindrax

Got my hands on a copy. Local game shop doesn't really care about release dates. If you guys have questions I'll try and answer.

Mutombo

Since I JUST got a PS4 and only have Transistor to play - which is really good, but not why I went next gen - I'm dying to try out a proper game.

I love the Souls games, and this looks really fun. 12-15 hours seems a tad short though.

Or I'll get Dragon Age first, and wait for Fallen on a price drop.

Until Witcher 3 and Bloodborne come along I guess I can be happy with those two.

gai_shain

thanks for sharing, might be interesting for speedruns

Was the same in the souls games.... I remember getting the sword from the dragon by shooting his tail 150 times...
drake sword really isnt that good apart from the very start start of the game

Pop

Will be waiting on my gamefly copy come Tuesday. What's great about that is when the new ps4 update goes live and everything works fine, my brother can try out the game with SharePlay. He's a big souls fan, now he gets to try it before he decides to buy.

BumRush

I pre ordered drive club because again based on footage I knew I'd like it. Turns out I love it. Yes the online side is a complete shambles but the core SP is great imo.

I tend to "blindly buy" all the time. If it turns out I don't like the game i'll sell it on straight away. I'm sorry if that sounds like being a smart ass and I appreciate I may be in the minority with how I do things but I simply don't need reviews to tell me whether to buy a game. Same applies to movie and music reviews.

Like I said its pre ordered and will see for myself. If I find it crap it gets sold and I'll move onto something else. :)

Yeah man, I like your attitude. Enjoy the game! I can't wait to play itn

BumRush

Do enemies respawn if you leave an area and come back?

Top Bottom