• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen dated - Oct. 28 (NA) Oct 31 (EU)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Watched a guy playing this on PS Live last night, but I stopped because he couldn't get past one of the big bosses. Wish I could've seen more of the game, but from the bit I watched it looked like it was cut from the same cloth as DS.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I won't spoil my review but I will say the voice acting is pretty bad. Not the actual voices, but the lip synching ain't the best. Otherwise pretty darn good game, very happy with it sitting in-between Souls and Bloodborne like others have said. I know a fair amount of Souls players will enjoy it, and those who may not have liked Souls for its difficulty.

Oh, also with OT I'll chuck it up 28th as per rule, and that's US release. Just have to convert the time from AU to US.

danthefan

Serious cash issues at the moment but I think I've seen enough to decide I'll buy this at some point. I like some of the tweaks they've made to the Souls formula. That video pasted a couple of pages summed it up well - Souls is genre defining. This game is carrying on from that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is probably bargain bin material, but I'm really starting to like what I'm watching. Might put this on the 'ol Christmas list.

Is it really 12-15 hours long though, or is that just like people saying Dark Souls 2 was only gonna be some 20 hours long before its release?

Also, to people who have played/are playing this, is there some variety to the environments as you progress or is the whole game set that in snowy castle we saw in the demo? e.g. Dark Souls had a forest level, a lava level, it had Anor Londo, Blighttown and so on, while DS2 was even more diverse in that respect (perhaps excessively so), how does LotF compare?

Drewfonse

What about some tedious complaint about how generic and unlikable the bald main character is, instead?

Indeed. Space Marines with Swords. Should've been the game's title.

I wish the main character had the swept forward spiky front hairstyle that's so popular these days. And I wish that he was Vietnamese or something like that. Oh well, that's what sequels are for.

Lanrutcon

I wish the main character had the swept forward spiky front hairstyle that's so popular these days. And I wish that he was Vietnamese or something like that. Oh well, that's what sequels are for.

:p I see what you did there.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Also, to people who have played/are playing this, is there some variety to the environments as you progress or is the whole game set that in snowy castle we saw in the demo? e.g. Dark Souls had a forest level, a lava level, it had Anor Londo, Blighttown and so on, while DS2 was even more diverse in that respect (perhaps excessively so), how does LotF compare?

Can't answer that sadly, not far enough to know.

Sentenza

So you find bald people to be unlikable?
Considering I'm "bald" (actually shaved) myself, not really.
It was a joke.

What I meant is that, while I don't think too much of the main character of this game, there have been so many complaints about it to the point it got old very fast.
Well, you forced me to explain the joke. HAPPY NOW?

Kensuke

To the guys playing (need help):

Where is Annihilator?

I lowered the last switch and took mercy on the huge chained up monster. But now I have absolutely no idea where to go.
edit: Never mind, found him. Ugh, this game can be so obscure at times.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Knowing that this game is only about 10-12 hours makes me bummed out that I looked at so much preview coverage. Feel like I probably ended up spoiling a lot.

I feel like the timing is really inopportune for this one.

I adore the Souls games and the patented Souls gameplay, but after seeing what Bloodborne is doing, the 'sword and board', strafe-heavy (and seemingly even slower) style of play presented in LotF is just so passé to me now.

It's as if From had their finger so perfectly on the pulse this whole time. I just can't help but thinking that LotF will feel dated to play, especially when it does look somewhat janky and cumbersome in its movement due to some odd animating.

EDIT: that's not to say I couldn't go back to this style of gameplay and love the shit out of it; more just that what LotF is going for mechanically is just not at all exciting to me right now. 'Been there, done that' sort of thing. And I'd say the same of Dark Souls 3 with little change-up. The formula needs to be messed with considerably for me to get hyped.

Corpekata

Banned
Totalbiscuit is talking about it being "long and difficult" so maybe there's hope on those fronts. Though given he's not exactly great at a lot of games, it might need an asterisk next to the world difficult.

Jim Sterling also saying it's "way better than I expected."

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
To the guys playing (need help):

Where is Annihilator?

I lowered the last switch and took mercy on the huge chained up monster. But now I have absolutely no idea where to go.
edit: Never mind, found him. Ugh, this game can be so obscure at times.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE LAST SWITCH

I only found one and am horribly stuck.

Spainkiller

So I need your help. I'm fighting this boss and can't figure it out.
he drops these blobs that turn into.claws and then gets energy from them. Sometimes when he is recharging and I attack, I do massive damage. Other times its nothing and I can't for the life of me figure it out
also how far into the game would you say I'm at?

The Infiltrator?

He has armor on his legs. You can keep hitting that to remove them, or you can just hit him straight in the dick/ass for good damage.

Spainkiller

Yeah that's the one. So the armor breaks off? And what level were you.

No idea what level I was, but I disposed of him pretty quickly. I had pretty high strength and the My Axe weapon which is ridiculously powerful.

The armor on his legs breaks off if you hit it often enough but since his gut and ass are big enough, just focus on those places.

No idea what level I was, but I disposed of him pretty quickly. I had pretty high strength and the My Axe weapon which is ridiculously powerful.

The armor on his legs breaks off if you hit it often enough but since his gut and ass are big enough, just focus on those places.

See but what is weird is that when I hit him there I do weak damage. Then he throws those things, and then he will lower himself into it and only sometimes when I attack him then, does he take like massive 200+ damage but I can't figure out what the cause was. I guess I'll have to try again.

You sure review code unlocks on PS4 today?

That's what the community manager told me but he did say "should" it's ultimately up to Sony though.

Thanks for streaming earlier mate. One thing I do like is the sound effects when in combat. Everything has a suitable thud, clang etc

No problem, it was my pleasure and had a great time.

Drewfonse

I need some people to tippy toe up to the line of breaking the embargo without actually breaking the embargo. Straddle the line like your life depends on it, because it does.

Begin. Impressions. More.

Maffis

About the game length. The devs have said multiple times that the main story quest is around 10-15 hours depending on how good you are, but there are alot of secrets and optional exploration that can double and even triple that time on a single playthrough. The New game + and ++ is not counted towards that.

addyb

About the game length. The devs have said multiple times that the main story quest is around 10-15 hours depending on how good you are, but there are alot of secrets and optional exploration that can double and even triple that time on a single playthrough. The New game + and ++ is not counted towards that.

Sounds like I will be 20 hours plus on it then. Some people were finishing mordor in 15 hours and my time was double that.

I hate you guys/gals who got the game early!

J/K, love my NeoGAF fam, but damn ;(

Devs have said that you have to beat the game three times to get everything. NG+ opens up a new skill tree and more lore, NG++ opens up the final skill tree.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Not slick enough by half, friend.

Top Bottom