• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

HowZatOZ

Banned
EuCnjF2.jpg

Release Date: October 28th (US), October 30th (AU/EU)
Platform: PC [Windows], PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Developer: CI Games, Deck13 Interactive
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games [US] | Square Enix [EU]
Homepage: http://lordsofthefallen.com/

PC System Requirements:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (only 64 bit OSs
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 460 or better
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

PC Performance Thread here

What is Lords of the Fallen?

In an unforgiving world where no sin is ever forgotten, Harkyn, a convicted criminal, is given a chance for redemption. Just when rulers of the world get close to finding a way to banish all evil from humans, an army of the long-ago defeated god attacks the human realm. Released from prison, Harkyn and his mentor, Kaslo, set out on a mission to stop the war.

In his journey, Harkyn will forge strong alliances and face even stronger enemies. He will learn the true power of the Rhogar Lords - commanders of god's army. He will even bring the battle to the Rhogar, travelling to the heart of the demonic dimension.

Will the god manage to enslave humans again? Is mankind really able to banish evil? Will Harkyn's sins ever be forgiven?

But I heard it was like X game?

On an initial glance Lords of the Fallen may very well look like a Souls games, heck it may very well be classed as one. But diving into the game you'll find that Lords of the Fallen actually tries in distancing itself from the Souls series through mechanical differences.

This includes the XP multiplier mechanic. By chaining your enemy kills together you'll be rewarded with far more XP than typically taking it slow, though the chance of death will rise almost certainly rise. A mechanic like this will definitely push you into choosing different paths when approaching enemies, and for some it may even open an entirely new playstyle. Going without touching a checkpoint also increase your multiplier over time, but adds even more risk.

Lords of the Fallen also utilises a checkpoint system, somewhat like the Bonfire mechanic in the Souls series. Using a checkpoint will respawn all enemies, but will also save your game and replenish health, energy and magic potions. You can also use this checkpoint to develop your character using XP.

CLASSES

Three unique classes - Warrior, Cleric or Rogue - with fully-customizable skills and weapons. Each class can use any weapon they like, so build your character how you want.

MECHANICS AND GEAR

Types of weapons: Shortswords, Swords, Greatswords, Axes, Greataxes, Hammers, Greathammers, Claws, Daggers, Staffs, Poleswords.

MAGIC

Each class has four spells that can be unlocked, and then upgraded twice. Warrior’s spells are about “tank” play style, Cleric spells are about regeneration and weakening the enemies, Rogue spells are about precision, distance and stealth. Only Cleric starts with first spell unlocked at start, unlocking and upgrading spells requires higher levels of Magic attribute (check the spell card).

Once you've created your character you won't be able to change your magic tree, so choose wisely.

LEVELLING

By collecting XP in Lords of the Fallen you will be given a chance to use this collected resource in upgrading your character. You will have two categories to disperse XP: Attributes or Magic. By choosing attributes you'll be able to increase the typical RPG stats like Strength and Faith, allowing for new weapons to be used.

Magic on the other hand is used to further dive into the various spell trees. By putting XP into the magic category you'll be given a point, allowing you to unlock new spells. Do note, you'll need a certain amount of Faith to unlock deeper spells in the trees, so choose wisely.

SCREENSHOTS:

VIDEOS:

Challenge Trailer
Lords of the Fallen Debut Trailer

SOCIAL:

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter

REVIEWS

The review thread is available over here.

UnrealEck

Looks awesome. I read people are saying the game's a bit short, which is what I had a feeling would be the case.
I guess it suits me though because I don't seem to play games as much as I used to.

jesu

I'm looking into to getting this, waiting for reviews but I don't think this bit belongs in the OP

Adventure in an open-ended MMORPG freed from predefined paths and progression. Build massive castles and lay claim to lands whose riches fuel a deep, player-driven economy.
Band together to protect your fortune in epic siege battles and naval combat – or live the life of an outlaw, prying glory and coin from foes left in your wake.

Korten

Banned
Nice OT. :)

Edit: Why does the first part mention an MMO?

Repost from the other thread:

I feel like this will another game that I love but everyone else either feels meh or hates. :(

Tends to happen with a lot of games. It's very rare for me to hate or not enjoy a game. Lost Planet 2 got slammed but I consider it one of the best co-op games i've ever played.

addyb

I've said on other threads but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Seen enough on streams to know it's what I like. Can't wait to get unleashed tomorrow :)

RyudBoy

Way too many good games coming out, so I'm gonna pass on this initially. May pick it up sometime later, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nice thread title. Excited for this tomorow, unfortunately I see it getting blasted by reviews and by most people in general expecting Dark Souls 2.5

Nice OT. I'm going to grab this tomorrow to support the devs, as long as the game reviews well (especially from a technical standpoint). Comments from the impressions thread gave mixed messages overall, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

nbthedude

Pre-loading now!

I have a friend that works at a major gaming website's review of this and he tipped me off that I should definitely plan on picking it up.

Lulubop

Looks good, though probably too short for a day 1 purchase from me. That said, depending on reviews I may be tempted to impulse buy it.

Gator86

I hope this turns out good. I'm excited to play it.

I'm expecting tragic reviews though. This will be absolutely savaged simply by virtue of not being Souls. No part of this game will be allowed to stand on its own and will be relentlessly contrasted with Souls.

mhows

Banned
I feel the same way. I'm guessing it'll average around 6's or 7's. Maybe less. I hope I'm wrong though. Also out of curiosity, isn't this team made up of ex cd project red employees?

Pyro.

Looks awesome. I read people are saying the game's a bit short, which is what I had a feeling would be the case.

Looks good, though probably too short for a day 1 purchase from me.

Where are you guys hearing this is short? And how short are we talking here ballpark since everybody plays differently?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where are you guys hearing this is short? And how short are we talking here ballpark since everybody plays differently?

15-20 hours, which is "short" these days aparently :)

last 2 games I played of that lenght, The Evil Within and Styx, I was about ready to be done with both near the end (and I loved them) so this is the sweet spot for me

Pyro.

OP no mention of the New Game + modes?

Taken from the wiki:
Lords of the Fallen has a limit of 2 New Game Plus (NG+ and NG++).
From NG to NG+ the game difficulty increases, a new skill tree is unlocked and there will be new lore pieces to be found.
From NG+ to NG++ the game difficulty increases even more and another new skill tree is unlocked.

There is a video I saw recently of a Dev also confirming the 2 NG+ modes.

Top Bottom