• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I found the kids.

I can't tell if it's the same kid with different hair, or two different kids. :lol

Obviously, this isn't the MiB kid actor from Across the Sea, but are they both supposed to be young Jacob, or is one of them supposed to be MiB? Or are they supposed to be something else entirely? I'm not sure.

Pics courtesy of http://www.lost-media.com

6.4: The Substitute

6x04-261.jpg

6.12: Everyone Loves Hugo

love-hugo-332.jpg

Solo

threenote said:
yes, there's definitely a storyline. Why are the souls stuck on the Island? Why are they unable to moveon?

Because they did terrible things that they are unable to forgive themselves for.

Blader

DaBargainHunta said:
Okay, I found the kids.

I can't tell if it's the same kid with different hair, or two different kids. :lol

Obviously, this isn't the MiB kid actor from Across the Sea, but are they both supposed to be young Jacob, or is one of them supposed to be MiB? Or are they supposed to be something else entirely? I'm not sure.

It's that same kid both times.

G-Fex

That reminds me, last week I heard some whispering near my wall while I was sleeping, but it makes no sense since theres no other room on the other side. Real close whisperings They told me things.

KevinCow said:
Two possibilities:

1) He was trying, just never got close enough until the events of the series. Seeing a time-traveling Locke set himself to be a sort of savior/leader gave him a really good opening.

2) He had to kill all the candidates first, which is why he doesn't make his move to kill Jacob until he has his last batch of candidates.

Possibly a combination of the two.

I guess that makes sense yeah. Thanks. For the longest time I just thought MiB would be a prop rather than a character, the real baddie being Jacob. Shows what I know 2 seasons later.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sinny said:
totally agree, also the set was awful
I remember reading the Temple was an already existing set, made for a completely different show, and they just reused it after touching some stuff up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DaBargainHunta said:
Then why the different hair color? Seems really random.
He probably stepped on some Temple, slipped and got his hair covered in Temple too.

Solo

Jocchan said:
I remember reading the Temple was an already existing set, made for a completely different show, and they just reused it after touching some stuff up.

I would completely buy that explanation.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
DaBargainHunta said:
Just looks like a sloppy production goof. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Blader

DaBargainHunta said:

Maybe that scene was shot sometime after Across the Sea? They do film episodes in bunches, and not necessarily in order.

Mifune

Mehmber
Can anyone explain just what the hell was up with Sayid this year?

He's good, he's bad, he's really bad, he's British, he's a hero. What a cluster.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
Igoritza said:
cause i win every argument ?
what is answered along the way ?

1. where does the Egypt fall in place, who build the Tawaret ?

2. what is the light, and why it does turn a normal man into a smoke ? (MiB being very normal person, more normal than his mother, and manipulated brother) and plase do not answer - "the force of life" cause it is not, and if it is - we dont have substantial evidence of that.

3. what is the scientific/magical explanation for desmond's ability ? origin of it ?

4. at the end of the series, all teh stuff we saw in the 6 seasons, adds up how ?

5. how on earth could miB not knowing any advanced science construct an electromagnetic machine, that is capable of moving the magical island, based on the scientific method, as he himself stated ? that was 0BC year aproximately

6. who actually built the light compressor ? cause we see that is man made. ?

7. how did the numbers affect the outside world, in the magical fashion, cause we know that producers of the show wanted us to connect electromagnetism, with the magic ? wouldnt it be noticed around the world then ?

answer this, for start, and i will rest, until then - i wont.

I'm not sure what all these people harping on and on for answers really want. Do you want to finally stand triumphant among all the LOST fans and say "HA! I TOLD YOU SO!" when no answer can be provided? It's a television show, some parts of it were successful, some were not. It was the best and worst of television all rolled into one.

Many outside factors affected the show in many ways (actor DUI's, actors leaving, growth spurts, writers strikes, ratings, nervous ABC execs). All of these things molded the show into what it is today. While I can understand why some would be frustrated that the producers promised this or that, or the shows original premise promised answers, it's just not gonna happen.

If your ultimate goal is to call out delusional LOST fans that defend the mythology to the death, so be it. But in the end, I think both of you would be missing the point. It's just the business, man. Appreciate what they did right, learn from what they did wrong. Let it go. it was an entertaining show.

Solo

Mifune said:

He's good, he's bad, he's really bad, he's British, he's a hero. What a cluster.

I honestly dont think Naveen Andrews has given a fuck since about S4. That doesnt account for the writing, but it does for the performance.

"You know, I dont think Im even going to try to sound Iraqi anymore"

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Mifune said:

ball: dropped

I'm still coming to terms with the mishandling of mah boi

oh well

Blader

Solo said:
I honestly dont think Naveen Andrews has given a fuck since about S4. That doesnt account for the writing, but it does for the performance.

"You know, I dont think Im even going to try to sound Iraqi anymore"

In the retrospective, he was saying he was attracted to the role of Sayid because the writers took a character that could have been a stereotype and gave him a new dimension (the romance angle), which he liked.

Since Sayid has been little more than a killing machine for the last four years (and, iirc, he was mad that they killed off Shannon), I'm sure that's factored into his performance. :lol

JGS

Banned
Sayid may have been on the Island as a ghost. He was finally able to move on. Richard's wife may have been able to do the same thing.

bogg

Mifune said:

For me it was the conclusion of his downfall that started on season 4 when he was working for Ben because he wanted revenge.

big ander

2. what is the light, and why it does turn a normal man into a smoke ? (MiB being very normal person, more normal than his mother, and manipulated brother) and plase do not answer - "the force of life" cause it is not, and if it is - we dont have substantial evidence of that.

3. what is the scientific/magical explanation for desmond's ability ? origin of it ?

4. at the end of the series, all teh stuff we saw in the 6 seasons, adds up how ?

5. how on earth could miB not knowing any advanced science construct an electromagnetic machine, that is capable of moving the magical island, based on the scientific method, as he himself stated ? that was 0BC year aproximately

7. how did the numbers affect the outside world, in the magical fashion, cause we know that producers of the show wanted us to connect electromagnetism, with the magic ? wouldnt it be noticed around the world then ?

Why the fuck I'm actually giving in to an ignorant asshole like this, I don't know, but here I go.
1) Fucking egyptians, genius. People have been coming to the island FOREVER AND EVER. This is spelled out in the show.
2) We do have substantial evidence of that, because we're told it is. :lol Goddamn, going farther than that (or even going out and SAYING it's EM, as many theorize) would be some midichlorians level bullshit.
3) He neutralized a huge pocket of electromagnetic energy and was left with special abilities related to electromagnetic energy because of it. Again, clearly stated/shown in the show.
4) It adds up because it happened to the characters it was about? That question mark reminds me, you need to fix your punctuation, it's awful. You don't need a period AND a question mark, and you don't need a space before a question mark.
5) Horribly formed question, but if I'm correct you're asking how MIB knew how to make the wheel. In Across the Sea we're shown he has some knowledge given to him by the island. He doesn't know how he knows some things, but he does. For example, how to play an ancient egyptian board game.
6) It had egyptian glyphs on it. Doesn't really matter though. The light has always been there.
7) The numbers were coincidence in many incidences. In an ARG, they were called the Valentizzi Equation, but it doesn't really matter. They were important as the numbers for the candidates. That's it.

You're accusing us of pretending to be all-knowing douches, when in actuality you're the one claiming you have some higher analytical skills that allow you to point out "flaws" in the show we enjoy. Get off your fucking high horse and quit your trolling.

Did you win that argument, jackass?

Speaking of sets, whilst the temple, wells and cave interior look pretty dodgy, I can look past it and immerse myself in the scene. But the constant falling boulders in the finale kept taking me out of it. The fact that the place seemed to be surrounded by boulders was bad enough, but as well as looking fake they had zero weight to them. They literally bounced off the floor.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
big ander said:
6) It had egyptian glyphs on it. Doesn't really matter though. The light has always been there.
They weren't Egyptian. They looked like cuneiform script, which suggested an even more ancient civilization.
It means the light was always there, someone in a distant past found it, possibly screwed up (like DHARMA when they dug an electromagnetic pocket causing the Incident) and put a cork in there, and it was so much time ago that it doesn't really matter who exactly did.

While I applaud Darlton for leaving some things open to interpretation, I really believe they left too much open. As the last few pages of this thread have shown, you really have to shrug at a lot of the plot inconsistencies or either say, "Jacob did it" or "it was magic." I loved how stuff like the polar bears were answered earlier in the show -- the clues were there, you just had to put it together, and when you did, it all made logical sense. That was GREAT writing. And I really thought that was how most of the mysteries would be solved over the course of S5 and S6, but this was clearly not the case.

Blader

Jocchan said:
They weren't Egyptian. They looked like cuneiform script, which suggested an even more ancient civilization.

A few people were saying a while back that the writing looked Sumerian.

Catalix

big ander said:
Did you win that argument, jackass?
:lol

Fisticuffs said:
Naveen Andrews got worse as the show went on but Matthew Fox got wayy better. It was a trade off imo.
Totally worth it.

neoism

Igoritza said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol So glad I couldn't care less, about answers..Having soo many unanswered questions is one of the things I love about the show.... Do you really need to know those ridiculous question????:lol :lol :lol

Igoritza

Banned
whenever there is a BIG plot/object/action involved, and there is no explanation for it, @ the end of the show - you are just gonna point out some fact from some episode making that an explanation but it is not, it's just another variable.

im not gonna quote all teh stuff you wrote, im just gonna stick to number 6 -

"light has always been there" < with a screw on top of it ? i can imagine some ancient douchebags tempering with the natural order, but that is still unexplained.

you dont understand - i WANT that kind of stuff to be explained, because that is MORE important than the characters!

we did not get the answer for "what the island truly is" and that is in my opinion the biggest question. speculations are not what i want, i want a straight answer.

on the other hand - im not gonna annoy people, cause i see that some of them are annoyed, im just gonna ask, and then see if anyone agrees with me:

LOST is a great show. but, it left us with incomplete feeling. a lot of mysteries that defined the show in the first seasons were not answered.

so - if you are easily emotionally connected to a show character, and you can fall for "everything is great now, island doesnt matter, you're dead Jack Shepard, love is the answer, nothing to see here, move on now" - then i see how you liked it.

but - if you wanted the show to provide answers, to fill out the big plot holes like "why does the island even have the possibility to timetravel & move" and over 9000 other questions, and you dont really give a fu*k for more than 3 characters - than this show is a disappointment.

I really cant understand how some of you could be satisfied with such a LAME sentence that finished the series: "everybody dies sometime kiddo", and get all emotonal and stuff with that.

so lame. Christian sheppard is mothe*fuc*ing Captain Obvious.

big ander

Jocchan said:
It means the light was always there, someone in a distant past found it, possibly screwed up (like DHARMA when they dug an electromagnetic pocket causing the Incident) and put a cork in there, and it was so much time ago that it doesn't really matter who exactly did.
Blader5489 said:
A few people were saying a while back that the writing looked Sumerian.
Ah, I see. I must have missed that.
Regardless, the cork has been there for AGES, and I'm one of the people who doesn't care how it got there. We have an idea as to how it functions, and I watched to see how Jack and MIB and Ben and Hurley reacted to it. Getting the answers about how it's the center of the island and how it's affected the evolution of the island were enough for me.
brandonh83 said:
This shit is getting intense. Popcorn is in the micro.
I had some Milk Duds, but I was SO ANGRY I ATE THEM ALL

G-Fex

I'm going to assume the Island isn't really that natural and was made by Egyptian gods and tendered by their loyal subjects.

That's right, Egyptian gods.

Catalix

Thinking back, Cooper's pretty much in his own personal Hell, isn't he? He can never move on. Eternal justice.

51235e.jpg

I'm just loving the sideways more and more.

big ander

whenever there is a BIG plot/object/action involved, and there is no explanation for it, @ the end of the show - you are just gonna point out some fact from some episode making that an explanation but it is not, it's just another variable.

im not gonna quote all teh stuff you wrote, im just gonna stick to number 6 -

"light has always been there" < with a screw on top of it ? i can imagine some ancient douchebags tempering with the natural order, but that is still unexplained.

you dont understand - i WANT that kind of stuff to be explained, because that is MORE important than the characters!

we did not get the answer for "what the island truly is" and that is in my opinion the biggest question. speculations are not what i want, i want a straight answer.

on the other hand - im not gonna annoy people, cause i see that some of them are annoyed, im just gonna ask, and then see if anyone agrees with me:

LOST is a great show. but, it left us with incomplete feeling. a lot of mysteries that defined the show in the first seasons were not answered.

so - if you are easily emotionally connected to a show character, and you can fall for "everything is great now, island doesnt matter, you're dead Jack Shepard, love is the answer, nothing to see here, move on now" - then i see how you liked it.

but - if you wanted the show to provide answers, to fill out the big plot holes like "why does the island even have the possibility to timetravel & move" and over 9000 other questions, and you dont really give a fu*k for more than 3 characters - than this show is a disappointment.

I really cant understand how some of you could be satisfied with such a LAME sentence that finished the series: "everybody dies sometime kiddo", and get all emotonal and stuff with that.

so lame. Christian sheppard is mothe*fuc*ing Captain Obvious.
To summarize what you just said: "We were given many answers in the show, but not all of the ones I was looking for. And the answers we were given weren't explained thoroughly enough for me. I was only in it for the answers, so I think it sucked."
That's, plainly, an illogical reason for watching a show. There are plenty of shows that present mysteries to the viewer. Lost is just one of those shows. If it didn't grab you emotionally, I don't think you were meant to watch it for six years.

gdt

WOAH!

Huh?

Damon and Carlton just did a post-finale interview.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/dude-it-turns-out-losts-c.php

Former Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are acknowledging that while much of the recently concluded show's mind-bending stories and puzzle-piece arcs were mapped out from day one, other stories and arcs were the result of action-reaction or were simply winged as needed.

"It was a combination of both those things," Cuse said in an exclusive interview. "There was a big, mythic architecture which included a lot of what's in the finale, in terms of where we end the show, that we knew way back in the beginning. And then, before each season, we'd have a writers' mini-camp and spend a month without any pressure of writing other scripts, figuring out the architecture of the upcoming season. That'd sort of take the artists' rendering and turn it into blueprints, and then, during the season, episode by episode, we built the structure. We allowed ourselves a lot of flexibility to change things around as we were doing construction. It was impossible to have everything planned out, and so it was kind of built in stages."

On the phone with Cuse was his writing and producing partner Lindelof. He stressed that while everyone was thinking long-term, they had to do so without being presumptuous. After all, many a show—Lindelof cited Twin Peaks—fizzled out after a wildly successful first season. "We didn't want to be of the mindset in the first season to assume that people would want to watch the show for six years," Lindelof said. "That's a gift that the audience gave us, to be able to do the show as we did. To sit down at episode eight and start to talk about what you're going to do in the second season ... The guys doing FlashForward, for example, were being asked about the second season at the upfront last year. It's good to have a plan, but at the same time the most important plan is making the next episode really good. That's the only job that Carlton and I and everybody else on this show has ever had."

Lindelof added, "Sometimes in order to make the next episode really good you need to have an incredible superstructure and the blueprints that Carlton is referring to, but at the end of day it really wasn't until we negotiated the end date that we could sit down and in a very detailed way say, 'This is exactly what we want to do over the course of the next three years. We know exactly how many episodes we have to do, and we think people will probably watch us for another three years if we're able to execute this.'"

Now that Lost is in the history books, Lindelof is moving on to co-writing the next Star Trek feature. Cuse plans to take a break and then will seek out his next project. Meanwhile, for all the closure and answers the Lost finale provided, it also left many story threads hanging. What the heck was/is the island? Where was Walt, and what powers did he have, anyway? What did the Dharma Initiative actually want? Who built the statue, and why? In other words, there seems to be plenty more story to tell.

Cuse, asked if he'd want to be involved if Lost ever returns in some form, replied, "That's like when they interview boxers at the end of a fight and they say, 'Do you want a rematch?' and the guy is going 'No mas, no mas.' We are so exhausted ... that the only answer we can give you is that we have no plans to do anything else with the Lost franchise after this show. We're not setting it up. We didn't invent a sequel. We have no expectations that we will continue to do anything with the franchise. Right now we are viewing this as the end of our storytelling with Lost."

Christ, I hate it when interviewers don't really know anything.

Blader

Igoritza said:
"why does the island even have the possibility to timetravel & move"

Chang said that the island's energy--characterized as "exotic matter"--could be used to create a Casimir effect, allowing objects to shift through time and space. Turning the wheel unleashes a burst of that energy, which envelopes the whole island, allowing it to move physically and temporally.

Wait, no, never mind. It's a plot hole. It was never explained. It's magic. Jacob did it. Something something.

Igoritza

Banned
G-Fex said:
I'm going to assume the Island isn't really that natural and was made by Egyptian gods and tendered by their loyal subjects.

that's the point! in LOTR, you have an explanation - lame, but a definite one.

there was a god, some mofo, and he played a tune, and he got bored with it, and then he created a band, and then they all got to play, realizing that in the tune is a hidden code, that explains the world to come, then one of them didnt want to play by the notes, and when the actual world appeared, he went berserk, other semi gods till this moment are struggling to make the tune god made again, as it was in the beginning.

and all of the chars there have the explanation, and origin - Gandalf is the Maiar of the Manwe, the leader of the semmi gods, and his magic comes from there and there.

if you trully love SF, LOST is a disappointment.

Igoritza said:
And here lies your major problem. We were watching a fantasy show about the survivors of Oceanic flight 815, and you thought we were watching a history channel show about the island.

bogg

Meanwhile, for all the closure and answers the Lost finale provided, it also left many story threads hanging. What the heck was/is the island? Where was Walt, and what powers did he have, anyway? What did the Dharma Initiative actually want? Who built the statue, and why?
:lol :lol

G-Fex

Igoritza said:
that's the point! in LOTR, you have an explanation - lame, but a definite one.

there was a god, some mofo, and he played a tune, and he got bored with it, and then he created a band, and then they all got to play, realizing that in the tune is a hidden code, that explains the world to come, then one of them didnt want to play by the notes, and when the actual world appeared, he went berserk, other semi gods till this moment are struggling to make the tune god made again, as it was in the beginning.

and all of the chars there have the explanation, and origin - Gandalf is the Maiar of the Manwe, the leader of the semmi gods, and his magic comes from there and there.

if you trully love SF, LOST is a disappointment.

Well maybe the explanation was somewhat confusing and not exactly how I pictured things to come out but I can't say I really am truly dissapointed, it's all up to speculation and iI know the majority of people don't like the whole "plug"ordeal but I didn't mind it too much, I mean everyone would complain if they did a whole Silent Hill movie explanation thing at the end showing a flashback of ancient stuff going on with creating the island core. No one would be satisfied either way completely. I liked the ending overall cause of the outcome for the characters, the island was a background and the characters where what the series was about, and I loved their ending. Though the Island is one hell of a cool background.

Yeah I'm sorry if there's a bunch of misspelling, I'm typing this pst with my eyese closed cause I need to focus my feelings on the matter directly to my fingers and for that I had to have my eyes closed to feel this post.

big ander

G-Fex

LOST isn't a disappointment to any genre.

It's six season long complete reason to get into television again, it revitalized hour long drama/adventure series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom