• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
Igoritza said:
cause i win every argument ?

Hint: Declaring yourself the winner doesn't make it so.

Hint #2: Not every discussion has to be an argument to try to win.

1. where does the Egypt fall in place, who build the Tawaret ?

Egyptians visited the island at some point in time. They built stuff, including a big statue of Tawaret in thanks for the increased likelihood of inception, which was caused by the island drastically increasing the sperm count.

Maybe it was during Jacob's reign, maybe after. Why does it matter when?

2. what is the light, and why it does turn a normal man into a smoke ? (MiB being very normal person, more normal than his mother, and manipulated brother) and plase do not answer - "the force of life" cause it is not, and if it is - we dont have substantial evidence of that.

It's a magic fucking light that does crazy shit. Turning a guy into the smoke monster is apparently one of the crazy things it does. You can either accept that or not.

It might be the source of all goodness like Mother said. It might not be. They didn't tell us exactly what it was. You can either accept that or not.

If you want to ask why neither Desmond nor Jack got Smokeyfied, that's a reasonable discussion point. Though not a "THIS SHOW FUCKING SUCKS BECAUSE IT DIDN'T PERFECTLY EXPLAIN THIS" point like you're making these out to be.

3. what is the scientific/magical explanation for desmond's ability ? origin of it ?

Maybe he's just special, like Walt, Miles, and Hurley. Or maybe being blasted in the face with EM power when he turned the key gave him his ability.

4. at the end of the series, all teh stuff we saw in the 6 seasons, adds up how ?

A nearly two-millennium-long fight between brothers is finally ended, and the island is given a new protector who will likely lead it much more peacefully, especially since there's not a horrible smoke monster rampaging around the island this time.

5. how on earth could miB not knowing any advanced science construct an electromagnetic machine, that is capable of moving the magical island, based on the scientific method, as he himself stated ? that was 0BC year aproximately

He's special.

6. who actually built the light compressor ? cause we see that is man made. ?

Some guys a gajillion years back made it. Maybe the Egyptians, maybe someone else. Maybe it was like an ancient Dharma Initiative trying to figure out the island's secrets, and the light was like their ancient hatch.

In the end, though, it doesn't matter. It's irrelevant to the story.

7. how did the numbers affect the outside world, in the magical fashion, cause we know that producers of the show wanted us to connect electromagnetism, with the magic ? wouldnt it be noticed around the world then ?

They're magic numbers. I don't know. Did you expect them to actually give a reasonable explanation to them outside of, "They're magic numbers"?

I don't really know what you wanted for answers. When a story's mythology involves magic, you're eventually going to get to a point where you have to accept "Just because" as an answer. Or do you want midichlorians?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
CartridgeBlower said:
While I applaud Darlton for leaving some things open to interpretation, I really believe they left too much open. As the last few pages of this thread have shown, you really have to shrug at a lot of the plot inconsistencies or either say, "Jacob did it" or "it was magic." I loved how stuff like the polar bears were answered earlier in the show -- the clues were there, you just had to put it together, and when you did, it all made logical sense. That was GREAT writing. And I really thought that was how most of the mysteries would be solved over the course of S5 and S6, but this was clearly not the case.
I'm on board with this. Also, I think they threw in too many red herrings for their own good (e.g., sunken island in X line)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
"Former Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse..."
Seeing it in print like that... woah.

Igoritza

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Chang said that the island's energy--characterized as "exotic matter"--could be used to create a Casimir effect, allowing objects to shift through time and space. Turning the wheel unleashes a burst of that energy, which envelopes the whole island, allowing it to move physically and temporally.

Wait, no, never mind. It's a plot hole. It was never explained. It's magic. Jacob did it. Something something.

there! you got it!

it is the fact that they wanted to TRICK the viewers, cause 99.5% of them dont know shi* about Casimir effect.

Casimir effect occurs when two metal plates get near one another, and they create a field. in sense of classical physics, there is no field. but when measured with quantum electrodynamics, you get a "net force", plainly said - vacuum force (because space is seen as a field, and the matter is actually "aroused" field) turns into a wave force. presence of the matter makes vakuum to act as energy (i cant explain it, dont know correct english words for such complicated matter)

the Casimir effect proposes that there is an infinite amount of energy, called the Zero point energy. it is speculated that energy comes from alternate universes, because Casimir effect cancels out all of the Einsteins and Planks physics.

the point being - Zero point energy is called that way, cause it has minimum value - which is not 0. when you take the energy from a field - it "recharges" itself to a zero point.

when Chang, in lost said that island has energy, that is capable of creating the Casimir effect - i laughed. casimir effect can be induced with just a simple matter, and no energy.

it is the harvestation of the energy that is a Physics problem, not the effect itself.

and, also - Casimir effect doesnt have to do ANYTHING with the time travel, not even in a theory (cause there is no theory of backwards timetravel except for the parallel universe one)

Blader

Igoritza said:
there! you got it!

it is the fact that they wanted to TRICK the viewers, cause 99.5% of them dont know shi* about Casimir effect.

Casimir effect occurs when two metal plates get near one another, and they create a field. in sense of classical physics, there is no field. but when measured with quantum electrodynamics, you get a "net force", plainly said - vacuum force (because space is seen as a field, and the matter is actually "aroused" field) turns into a wave force. presence of the matter makes vakuum to act as energy (i cant explain it, dont know correct english words for such complicated matter)

the Casimir effect proposes that there is an infinite amount of energy, called the Zero point energy. it is speculated that energy comes from alternate universes, because Casimir effect cancels out all of the Einsteins and Planks physics.

the point being - Zero point energy is called that way, cause it has minimum value - which is not 0. when you take the energy from a field - it "recharges" itself to a zero point.

when Chang, in lost said that island has energy, that is capable of creating the Casimir effect - i laughed. casimir effect can be induced with just a simple matter, and no energy.

it is the harvestation of the energy that is a Physics problem, not the effect itself.

Kudos for actually taking the time to retype that from wiki, and not just doing a quick copy-and-paste job.

and, also - Casimir effect doesnt have to do ANYTHING with the time travel, not even in a theory

Nothing has anything to do with time travel. Time travel is not real.

bogg

Blader5489 said:
Nothing has anything to do with time travel. Time travel is not real.
HURLEY: I can't believe he did it.

KATE: Who did what?

HURLEY: Locke. He moved the island.

JACK: No, he didn't.

HURLEY: Oh, really? 'Cause... one minute it was there, and the next it was gone, so... unless we, like, overlooked it, Dude, that's exactly what he did. But... if you've got another explanation, man, I'd love to hear it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Igoritza said:
there! you got it!

and, also - Casimir effect doesnt have to do ANYTHING with the time travel, not even in a theory (cause there is no theory of backwards timetravel except for the parallel universe one)
2lvkzko.gif

gdt

bistromathics said:
I'm on board with this. Also, I think they threw in too many red herrings for their own good (e.g., sunken island in X line)

I think the sunken Island is a clue that Jughead created LA X though.

G-Fex

bogg said:
HURLEY: I can't believe he did it.

KATE: Who did what?

HURLEY: Locke. He moved the island.

JACK: No, he didn't.

HURLEY: Oh, really? 'Cause... one minute it was there, and the next it was gone, so... unless we, like, overlooked it, Dude, that's exactly what he did. But... if you've got another explanation, man, I'd love to hear it.

I'd rather that Locke would fly the Island out of the water than it shift in time.

You know like that one Gif we had in a thread, years ago.

Igoritza

Banned
bogg said:
:lol wtf?

you make me write, and as i said - i have no knowledge of scientific words to translate (im from Serbia)

so, here is the plain explanation of Casimir effect:

the whole universe, in Quantum physics is a union of fields.

every matter is actually a field, with aroused state.

every particle has it's 4 constants, force interactions:

electromagnetic

weak

strong

gravitational

every particle does that interaction via another particle - a boson.

boson transfers the force between two particles. so, plainly said: when a gravitation pulls you to the ground, it did the job this way - massive earth, with all it's atoms, combined, emitted a large amount of gravitons (not yet discovered) in all directions, and, in your referential system - it affected your atoms in your body, so now they are pulled to the ground. how - i really cant explain cause it involves a lot of math, and nerdiness, but that's the fact.

so, using the 19 sentury Maxel equasions, a lot of combined scientist came to the idea that all of the particles must act in a symmetrical fashion. that is called "The Gauge invariance"

so, latter they discovered - a proximity of 2 objects, on a really small scale, makes the vacuum (cause vacuum also is a field with particles) change behavior, and the dormant field in that proximity changes to an electromagnetic field.

calculations introduced the concept of "Zero point energy" - the energy of the universe that comes out of nothing. (that's what Ancients used in Stargate SG:1 and SG:A)

is it clear now ? :D

EDIT: Blader5489 i did not retype, im really sorry for you and your people where ever they are from, but here in Serbia, we have better education than the rest of the world. it's a fact, it's not bragging. and, im actually interested in theoretical physics

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Igoritza said:
there! you got it!

ohJl4.jpg

Igoritza said:
you make me write, and as i said - i have no knowledge of scientific words to translate (im from Serbia)

so, here is the plain explanation of Casimir effect:

the whole universe, in Quantum physics is a union of fields.

every matter is actually a field, with aroused state.

every particle has it's 4 constants, force interactions:

electromagnetic

weak

strong

gravitational

every particle does that interaction via another particle - a boson.

boson transfers the force between two particles. so, plainly said: when a gravitation pulls you to the ground, it did the job this way - massive earth, with all it's atoms, combined, emitted a large amount of gravitons (not yet discovered) in all directions, and, in your referential system - it affected your atoms in your body, so now they are pulled to the ground. how - i really cant explain cause it involves a lot of math, and nerdiness, but that's the fact.

so, using the 19 sentury Maxel equasions, a lot of combined scientist came to the idea that all of the particles must act in a symmetrical fashion. that is called "The Gauge invariance"

so, latter they discovered - a proximity of 2 objects, on a really small scale, makes the vacuum (cause vacuum also is a field with particles) change behavior, and the dormant field in that proximity changes to an electromagnetic field.

calculations introduced the concept of "Zero point energy" - the energy of the universe that comes out of nothing. (that's what Ancients used in Stargate SG:1 and SG:A)

is it clear now ? :D
ohJl4.jpg

G-Fex

Since we're jumping on realism what are the odds a fatal plane crash would have so many damn survivors?

And I'm watching this movie, "The Hunted" Jacob's in it and he just got fucked up by Benecio Del Toro. :lol

Igoritza

Banned
Nameless said:
but he has a Trunks avatar and this is 2010...

yeah, when i point out that "casimir effect" is a stupid thing to be mentioned in LOST - let's make fun of me. regardless of the fact that i am right.

and, Trunks thing - there is a Dragonball Kai airing in 2010, fyi

G-Fex

Calcaneus said:
This thread is crumbling.

Now, out with it. Which one of you pulled the cork?

Solo is the only one who can put it back, he has to.

I'm not sure this show was supposed to have so much merit to it.

I mean it's like the hackers movie and it's technological accuracy of computing and hacking and CSI and it's show of made up technology and misuse of technical terms.

Star Trek seems to be the only one who uses terms correctly.

KevinCow

Banned
Igoritza said:
yeah, when i point out that "casimir effect" is a stupid thing to be mentioned in LOST - let's make fun of me. regardless of the fact that i am right.

and, Trunks thing - there is a Dragonball Kai airing in 2010, fyi

Oh no, technobabble doesn't actually apply to real world science.

I hope you've never watched Star Trek, you'd probably destroy your TV in a rage.

I want an answer for how Damon and Carlton invented timetravel before they put it in the show. Because they wouldn't put anything in the show that wasn't 100% scientifically proven.

Catalix

KevinCow said:
Pretty sure it was duckroll.
btw what did duckroll think of the finale?

bogg

TheGreatDave said:
I want an answer for how Damon and Carlton invented timetravel before they put it in the show. Because they wouldn't put anything in the show that wasn't 100% scientifically proven.
No, they're hacks! They don't know anything about how time-travel really works!

KevinCow

Banned
Catalix said:
btw what did duckroll think of the finale?

I think he said he liked it.

I'm actually pretty shocked that, with all the things Lost-GAF regulars have argued about, the general consensus on the finale was overall very positive.

Blader

Igoritza said:
EDIT: Blader5489 i did not retype, im really sorry for you and your people where ever they are from, but here in Serbia, we have better education than the rest of the world. it's a fact, it's not bragging. and, im actually interested in theoretical physics

I'm from New Jersey.

Catalix

KevinCow said:

I'm actually pretty shocked that, with all the things Lost-GAF regulars have argued about, the general consensus on the finale was overall very positive.
Sweet. We can all move on. Together.

bachikarn

No shit Casmir effect doesn't make sense. NEWS FLASH: TIME TRAVEL ISN'T POSSIBLE. Why are people looking for actual physics explanations for something that isn't possible? They are using electromagnetism as a catchall to explain some of the weird properties of the Island. If you are expecting them to go through the quantum or relativistic physics on why it may be possible, you are retarded.

G-Fex

bachikarn said:
No shit Casmir effect doesn't make sense. NEWS FLASH: TIME TRAVEL ISN'T POSSIBLE. Why are people looking for actual physics explanations for something that isn't possible? They are using electromagnetism as a catchall to explain some of the weird properties of the Island. If you are expecting them to go through the quantum or relativistic physics on why it may be possible, you are retarded.

I want hard facts on Smoke creatures.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So im really LTTP here. I watched the broadcast in the Bahamas and had no internet access. Ive watched the show since the beginning, and i have to say the ending was really well done and emotional. I enjoyed the very end, the way they inter-cut with Jacks death and his rebirth in the afterlife. Im not a religious person, so many religious undertones in TV shows usually dont work with me but if it's done well enough i really dont care, especially when they have smoke monsters in them.

I have to say though, i was really undecided on what GAF thought of the episode while i was away. Im glad to see the majority really liked it. I know you guys are picky.

Anyway, very sad ending to a great show. Kind of left me with an empty feeling not knowing what would happen to the remaining survivors for the rest of their living lives.

It is definitely up there with the Six Feet Under finale in quality and the way they sent off the characters.

KevinCow

Banned
I want a pet smoke monster.

Not a huge one like Smokey, but a little one, like maybe the size of a cat or something.

I'd call him Mr. Fuzzles, and sprinkle ash around my yard to keep him from running away.

G-Fex

KevinCow said:
I want a pet smoke monster.

Not a huge one like Smokey, but a little one, like maybe the size of a cat or something.

I'd call him Mr. Fuzzles, and sprinkle ash around my yard to keep him from running away.

If he's small that mean he can shapeshift into small animals like cats?

Wow, that'd be awesome. Cause you know he'd be hungry cause he'd be all TICK TICK TICK TICK *growl, wolf crying noise*

Igoritza

Banned
no, you got it all wrong.

when you implement an idea in the science fiction work, it has to have a grounds for it!

Casimir effect caused by the "energy" that can also induce time travel, is analog to a:

laser gun ammo is made of strawberry juice, mixed with unstable uranium.

example of a show that based the time travel on the actual scientific theory:

Stargate - a wormhole, amplified by the solar flare, will then cause the effect of movement, as through space, so in time. a theory well known to exist in the actual real physics. (where the wormhole itself is a theory)

example of the show not making any sense:

lost, cause the magic makes electromagnetism, and that makes the Casimir effect, and that makes the island go through time. not to mention that it is a fuc*in ISLAND, connected to the earth with its base.

StuBurns

Banned
There is no evidence suggesting the island is attached to the earth. It is almost certainly not.

Turning the wheel opens an aperture that allows something to interact with the 'negatively charged exotic matter', which causes a worm hole. Done. If you want more than that, I doubt you'll ever get it.

Igoritza said:

when you implement an idea in the science fiction work, it has to have a grounds for it!

Casimir effect caused by the "energy" that can also induce time travel, is analog to a:

Stargate - a wormhole, amplified by the solar flare, will then cause the effect of movement, as through space, so in time. a theory well known to exist in the actual real physics. (where the wormhole itself is a theory)

lost, cause the magic makes electromagnetism, and that makes the Casimir effect, and that makes the island go through time. not to mention that it is a fuc*in ISLAND, connected to the earth with its base.

Are you serious dude? This is some of the most blatant trolling I've ever seen on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

KevinCow

Banned
I can't decide which is more annoying: the way you keep arguing that the show was terrible because its magic isn't based in real world science, or the way you keep censoring the word "fuck."

It's a work of fiction. Suspension of disbelief and all that.

Nameless said:
edit..why'd you edit out the motherfucker!?!

Made the post sound more confrontational than I wanted.

I've been trying to be less confrontational lately. It's really hard.

Nameless

KevinCow said:
I can't decide which is more annoying: the way you keep arguing that the show was terrible because its magic isn't based in real world science, or the way you keep censoring the word "fuck."

It's a work of fiction. Suspension of disbelief and all that.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

edit..why'd you edit out the motherfucker!?!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Igoritza said:

obg9r.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
KevinCow said:

No, those of us with common sense just moved on.

Except for me.

I'm stuck here... but I'll soon find a loophole to kill duckroll, then I'm going to destroy this thread and leave.

The good news for all of you is earlier this season you created a Lost spoilers thread. You will all be able to reconnect there before moving on.

jett

D-Member
Panda Bear said:
Are you serious dude? This is some of the most blatant trolling I've ever seen on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

I thought the physics stuff was pretty interesting to read, I don't see his posts as trolling.

bachikarn

Casmir effect wasn't even referenced in the show. It was referenced in one of the Comic-con things. IIRC, they said "Casmir-LIKE effect" which can mean a whole lot of things. Most of the "physics" in Stargate is horseshit too. They are just a little better at hiding their horseshit with techno babble.

PS: Jett, I don't see how you can claim its 100% red hearing. Things can be open to interpretation.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
StoOgE said:
No, those of us with common sense just moved on.

Except for me.

I'm stuck here... but I'll soon find a loophole to kill duckroll, then I'm going to destroy this thread and leave.

The good news for all of you is earlier this season you created a Lost spoilers thread. You will all be able to reconnect there before moving on.
:lol

This post is awesome. Can I come with you on your boat when this thread is on the bottom of the ocean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom