• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

harSon

Banned
I never understood the need for new innovations in games. Yes, innovative gaming is great and is needed to push the industry forward, to knock a game (especially good games) for using an existing formula is idiotic. A great game is a great game, whether it pushes the genre forward or not should not matter. More props to games that do propel gaming forwards though but those that don't shouldn't be heavily criticized for not doing so.

Desiderus

McDragon said:
Random encounters are fine as long as they are not done like Enchanted Arms.
At least battles were awesome in that. I take it you are talking about what happens when you run out of VP/SP/TP whatever. That one health, one skill point shit.

Unfortunately, the ones that should have more respect for classic games / forumulas (the old gamers, the critics) are as well the first ones to jump into the burn the past bandwagon..
And we are nothing but hardcore gaming nerds. They as critics probably get tired of seeing the same thing used over and over again with the same characters and similar moveset (but zelda still scores good). I respect them for trying to promote new ideas constantly. Old ideas are good but not what we should just sit down and love because they are "solid".

More props to games that do propel gaming forwards but not be seen as a negative thing.
I think they mention it as negative because of the team involved and money being thrown at it. LO does some nice new things though just hasn't broke the mold like sakaguichi did before. He has his older self to live up too remember.

MCD

Desiderus said:
At least battles were awesome in that. I take it you are talking about what happens when you run out of VP/SP/TP whatever. That one health, one skill point shit.

Yes, battles were great (especially with the FF button) but come on, most of the normal encounters were basically boss fights (read: fucking hard) and getting them every 5 steps really ruined my mood.

Nolan.

Desiderus said:

Battles in Enchanted arms was/is crap.

Desiderus

McDragon said:
Yes, battles were great (especially with the FF button) but come on, most of the normal encounters were basically boss fights (read: fucking hard) and getting them every 5 steps really ruined my mood.
I creamed myself everytime.

Battles in Enchanted arms was/is crap.
Just because you don't love turn-based Megaman Battle Network does not me it was not orgasmic.

h3ro

Shaheed79 said:
Looks like I'll have to cross this off my must buy list. Budget purchase $30

But it hasn't even been reviewed or anything in English? What are you basing crossing it off on?

duckroll

Paracelsus said:
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/360.php

If Lost Odyssey does not surpass that record, I'll be quite disappointed. I think it deserves better than that.

Thanks. It's good to know BD finally passed 200k. I was looking for some solid proof for that. :)

I think jonnyram has the right idea. Too many dickhead trolls just hanging on to every last word that anyone who gives impressions might have to say. That actually goes for both positive and negative comments. Not worth giving early impressions with people like that around. :(

Dai Kaiju

Sakaguchi has said himself that he doesn't believe he has what it takes to make a good action game, and that he's better at telling a story. I kind of look at Mistwalker the same way I look at Bioware, in that they create these incredible universes/stories that are hampered by mediocre gameplay. It would be really cool if devs like that could team up with devs that have the opposite problem, such as Team Ninja or Epic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
I think jonnyram has the right idea. Too many dickhead trolls just hanging on to every last word that anyone who gives impressions might have to say. That actually goes for both positive and negative comments. Not worth giving early impressions with people like that around. :(
Ack, and I was looking forward to yours. I'll patiently wait then. :_(

duckroll

Alaluef said:
Ack, and I was looking forward to yours. I'll patiently wait then. :_(

Well I didn't actually get the game yesterday. Damn delays. :(

I'll definitely be getting it today. I just feel that people should stop hanging on to every minor comment in impressions to push their agenda without playing it themselves. It's really stupid and annoying. I'll probably be posting impressions, but I think I'll put a bit more time to promoting Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida first. That underdog needs some recognition. :)

harSon

Banned
Looks like I'll be playing it sooner then planned, a friend purchased a Japanese console off Ebay and ordered Lost Odyssey of yes asia. Kind of an idiotic purchase but it benefits me. A question for those that have played, is it difficult to navigate through the game without the english menus?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
Well I didn't actually get the game yesterday. Damn delays. :(

I'll definitely be getting it today. I just feel that people should stop hanging on to every minor comment in impressions to push their agenda without playing it themselves. It's really stupid and annoying. I'll probably be posting impressions, but I think I'll put a bit more time to promoting Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida first. That underdog needs some recognition. :)
Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida looks addictive. :D

LO really piqued my interest after many things you pointed, but I'm still curious about some technical stuff that people have been mentioning. But yeah, it seems that the opinions are getting overly positive or negative, it would be better if everyone was more rational.

Well, take your time. I hope you're able the game without further delays. :)

Waikis

Wow, looking at the videos , the game might actually exceed my expectations. The VA seems to be decent and I quite like the emotions displayed in the characters's face during conversations. However , I am not sure if it is my codec or not but ... is the voice abt 2 seconds too early than the lip movement?

props to Blim and Mizuhara for the vids!

Bebpo

Banned
I got this today. But I can't play it because Xbox Live is fucking broken atm and I can't get my profile.

The box looks nice!

Bebpo

Banned
rs7k said:
Why can't you play if offline?

Can't select my profile without getting an error message that it needs to be redownloaded.

I could play without being signed into any profile, but any achievements I unlocked would be missing when they get it working and I get my profile back.

KTallguy

Banned
When someone gets a chance, I'd love to see some combat videos.

I think the story, characters, visuals and music are all really neat and interesting, but it's not worth a damn if there's no gameplay. Obviously that's not the case, but man, how long do you go before you see combat?

duckroll

KTallguy said:

I think the story, characters, visuals and music are all really neat and interesting, but it's not worth a damn if there's no gameplay. Obviously that's not the case, but man, how long do you go before you see combat?

First boss: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1712464

Some other boss: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1705372

Some other other boss: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1712339

Some other other other boss: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1714905

Haven't seem them myself aside from the first boss. Don't want spoilers. Enjoy.

h3ro

For those that already have the game... what do you think of Uematsu's work? Does the game support 5.1?

duckroll

h3ro said:
For those that already have the game... what do you think of Uematsu's work? Does the game support 5.1?

I don't have the game yet, but the music is pretty fantastic and yes the game has always supported 5.1 even back in the crappy ass demo.

ethelred

Dai Kaiju said:
Sakaguchi has said himself that he doesn't believe he has what it takes to make a good action game, and that he's better at telling a story. I kind of look at Mistwalker the same way I look at Bioware, in that they create these incredible universes/stories that are hampered by mediocre gameplay. It would be really cool if devs like that could team up with devs that have the opposite problem, such as Team Ninja or Epic.

RPG gameplay isn't inherently mediocre... and I vastly prefer it to the stuff made by Epic and Team Ninja. I don't want Lost Odyssey to be an action game.

Lebron

KTallguy said:

Do you have a nicovideo.jp account? They have videos showing off the combat at early and later stages in the game there.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/ロストオデッセイ
That's the tag for all the Lost Odyssey videos(I believe). Beware of some spoilers though.

Edit: Nevermind, I see Duckroll already provided the links.

duckroll

ethelred said:
RPG gameplay isn't inherently mediocre... and I vastly prefer it to the stuff made by Epic and Team Ninja. I don't want Lost Odyssey to be an action game.

But but.... Cry On is an action RPG! Maybe that's why you cry every 15 minutes. :eek:

ethelred said:

if only the majority of people were like you.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FateBreaker said:
if only the majority of people were like you.
the world would've been a sad place if 90% of the games were turn based rpgs! with 5% being 2d platformers and the other 5% being adventure games.

no action games :eek: how could you live like that?!

;)

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
But but.... Cry On is an action RPG! Maybe that's why you cry every 15 minutes. :eek:

Is Cry On even in development anymore? I think the last news we received about it was them announcing the switch in development teams back in January. Hopefully we see something next year, it was actually the game I was most excited about coming from Mistwalker.

duckroll

harSon said:
Is Cry On even in development anymore? I think the last news we received about it was them announcing the switch in development teams back in January. Hopefully we see something next year, it was actually the game I was most excited about coming from Mistwalker.

No, there's no change in development team. Sakaguchi simply brought on Kusonoki to redo the world and character design to give it a better flavor. It's still in development and I bet it'll hit in Dec 2008.

Error said:
the world would've been a sad place if 90% of the games were turn based rpgs! with 5% being 2d platformers and the other 5% being adventure games.

no action games :eek: how could you live like that?!

;)

god, you're right. what the HELL was i thinking.

h3ro said:

The music is fantastic. I don't know about 5.1, but it does support Dolby Digital.

chris0701

I saw one guy play LO on his 16th hour,the visual presentation is great,not bad at all.

Some pics.
070918_1713000567_lypigigm.jpg

070907_1931363739_khllzxfr.jpg

070920_2121781984_fovhajhc.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
I gave in and played the first 30 mins or so without saving just to check it out.

So amazing. Outside the loading, which is a bit longer than is acceptable, it's the most incredible looking and sounding experience. This is what a next-gen rpg is. Can't really care much about FFXIII when I have LO.

clashfan

duckroll said:
No, there's no change in development team. Sakaguchi simply brought on Kusonoki to redo the world and character design to give it a better flavor. It's still in development and I bet it'll hit in Dec 2008.

Do you know what platform is on?

Bebpo said:
I gave in and played the first 30 mins or so without saving just to check it out.

So amazing. Outside the loading, which is a bit longer than is acceptable, it's the most incredible looking and sounding experience. This is what a next-gen rpg is. Can't really care much about FFXIII when I have LO.
Nice, I knew the game would look great, too bad for the loading, altough it doesn't bother me that much.

If you play more, please post more impressions.

Thanks.

Anyone who's qualified to give an opinion on the quality of the writing - I'd love to hear more impressions about it, especially the text-only bits.

FOR BONUS POINTS: Find and describe scenes which will be censored or otherwise altered, as well as intricacies that will obviously not make it through even the best localization intact!

Top Bottom