• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

Orodreth

duckroll said:
Nope. No artbook is planned. If Blue Dragon was any indication, don't expect one either. That's the cover to the published form of the Thousand Years of Dreams short stories.

Are those stories too difficult to understand if your japanese level is quite low? do they come with furigana?

In that case i may get one.

KTallguy said:
Is there any combat in the Gamersyde videos at all?
I've been scanning the vids but aside from the demo, I've found nothing really.

The world and music are really nice, and the character models are sharp, with great detail. Lip syncing is pretty poor in general. Camera work and effects look hot too.

I'm not against a story heavy game, but wow, how long does it take to reach the first battle?

The first battle is the one in the big battle intro (first video and same as the one showed in the e3 demo/videos). In the premiere videos they show another battle from later on against a dozen of soldiers.

Nolan.

sp0rsk said:
I was watching some videos on Niconico and the guy playing the game spent half a video stalking girls in town -_-

It's a good thing there isn't a zoom button it would have probably been longer.

Hammer24

Banned
Paracelsus said:
If Lost Odyssey does not surpass that record, I'll be quite disappointed. I think it deserves better than that.

Prepare to get disappointed then. While LO may be the much better / more deserving game, it had much less marketing push.

IGN Hands on Lost Odysey:

It seems that one year of extra development above last year's demo may not have been enough. The final game opens up exactly as the demo does, with Kaim in the middle of a fierce battle. One year later, and this sequence is still impressive-enough to sell someone on a 360. But you'll still have to stop playing right after the meteor strike and before you start taking full control of Kaim, because like the demo, the final game engine starts falling apart right there.

In the six hours that I've played so far, Lost Odyssey has been a technical mess, with framerate problems in just about every cinema and on most maps, an animation system that looks like it was ported straight from a PS2 engine, and frequent, inconsistent load times accompanied by visual stuttering as new data loads in.

i'm confused..

kay

I guess the shadow hearts team couldn't work their magic. No humourous characters, questionable presentation.. :(

Take note, if a game is in secrecy, there are problems.

Darkman M

kay said:
I guess the shadow hearts team couldn't work their magic. No humourous characters, questionable presentation.. :(

Presentation is one of the things this game seems to excel at.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kay said:

Can we wait for the opinion of more than one site/reliable people before we decide this game is a failure?

Orodreth

intheinbetween said:

i'm confused..

The comment about the meteor sequence is nonsense and the engine is improved. there is no texture pop-in in gamersyde videos, the loading is much better than in the demo.

The 6 following hours full of technical mess and ps2 levels dont make sense too if take into account djmizhuara videos.

There is good humour, specially with Jensen, and Seth has some other nice sequences too and the first kaim dream is very good.

I´ll stick with gamersyde videos and the guy from other forum quoted impressions.

kay

Blimblim said:
Can we wait for the opinion of more than one site/reliable people before we decide this game is a failure?
Never said it was a failure, I just hold SH in high regard. :p

Darkman M said:
Presentation is one of the things this game seems to excel at.
Low frame rate and lots of loading is questionable presentation.

Nolan.

kay said:

Uh-Oh FFXIII is going to be crap.

Geoff9920

kay said:
Never said it was a failure, I just hold SH in high regard. :p

It doesn't seem to hurt Mass Effect. But anyway, it's too early to make any clear judgements on this game.

FFChris

intheinbetween said:

i'm confused..

It's IGN, it's pretty clear they don't know how to review traditional JRPGs anymore.

Given the 50 minutes of footage I've seen on Gamersyde, the only complaint that actually seems to hold weight is the movement animations. Everything else is greatly impoved, graphically it looks excellent.

kay said:

I don't regard those as presentation, those are optimization issues.

tanod

when is my burrito
L0st Id3ntity said:
Well if the game moved 50% of its shipment on day one, it has a good chance of being sold out in one week... So it's alright?

Also don't forget it's released on a weekend.

Though I'm really puzzled why MS didn't try to get out more out of LO in japan, it had the potential...

Games are almost always released on Thursday in Japan. It's the standard release date so it will have 4 days (Japan sales week ends Sunday) of sales like Blue Dragon did before it. Expect 50k - 80k for the first week of sales.

h3ro

intheinbetween said:

i'm confused..

I know what happened...

IGN let their new "Casual Review Force" accidently pick up LO and test it out... the casuals were confused by non waggle based gameplay, there fore gave their best impersonation of what real reviewers do best... bitch about framerate!

kay

h3ro said:
I know what happened...

IGN let their new "Casual Review Force" accidently pick up LO and test it out... the casuals were confused by non waggle based gameplay, there fore gave their best impersonation of what real reviewers do best... bitch about framerate!
I know it's sarcasm but it's their job to point out that stuff, even if it isn't a big deal. It happens in a lot of previews so I wouldn't be too worried.

Jonnyram

h3ro said:
I know what happened...

Don't be a twat. It's Anoop and he's been working for IGN as long as I've been living in Japan. He's a great guy but he's casting an extra critical eye over this game. The framerate does have serious issues, but the game is great. I'm not gonna waste my impressions on dickhead trolls like kay, though.

kay

So commenting on an IGN preview and not saying anything 'bad' is trolling now? Eh, I shouldn't even try to argue with the biggest Xbox fanboy here..

Darkman M

kay said:
So commenting on an IGN preview and not saying anything 'bad' is trolling now? Eh, I shouldn't even try to argue with the biggest Xbox fanboy here..

To be fair coming into a thread specifically for Lost oydessy with this 'I guess the shadow hearts team couldn't work their magic. No humourous characters, questionable presentation.. :(

Take note, if a game is in secrecy, there are problems"wasn't the best way to enter the thread, we also have guys here who have bought and played the game and have even posted videos yet you choose to focus on the ign tidbit and bring Shadow Hearts into the discussion.

kay

Darkman M said:
To be fair coming into a thread specifically for Lost oydessy with this 'I guess the shadow hearts team couldn't work their magic. No humourous characters, questionable presentation.. :(

Take note, if a game is in secrecy, there are problems"wasn't the best way to enter the thread, we also have guys here who have bought and played the game and have even posted videos yet you choose to focus on the ign tidbit and bring Shadow Hearts into the discussion.
That was stupid to say right there I admit, sorry.

BUT that first part about SH had nothing to do with the article as characters weren't even mentioned, (just the differences of why I liked SH) bad timing there. The last part of my comment was and even that was just saying it has those superficial problems and that's why it wasn't shown.

h3ro

Jonnyram said:
Don't be a twat. It's Anoop and he's been working for IGN as long as I've been living in Japan. He's a great guy but he's casting an extra critical eye over this game. The frame rate does have serious issues, but the game is great. I'm not gonna waste my impressions on dickhead trolls like kay, though.

Settle down there buddy, no one is trolling here. No need to be calling others twat either...

If you bothered to read the thread, you would have read my comment regarding the frame rate and tearing going on in the fourth video that blimblim posted and how concerned I was about this issue, the post from IGN just validates my concern about the game performance...

I wasn't planning on reading the IGN preview as I like to form my own opinion on the game. I know that Ganayat has been at IGN for a while and I respect his opinion. It sees like everything besides the technical aspects was fine (music, dialogue, battle system, etc). I was just trying to calm down the cries of FUD that were bound to show up... so relax.

I'm getting this game day one regardless of whatever frame rate issues there are because I LOVE jrpgs and know what awesomeness Gooch is capable of... the fact that it may be a rehash of FFIV makes it that much more appealing to me...

Darkman M

kay said:
That was stupid to say right there I admit, sorry.

BUT that first part about SH had nothing to do with the article as characters weren't even mentioned, (just the differences of why I liked SH) bad timing there. The last part of my comment was and even that was just saying it has those superficial problems and that's why it wasn't shown.

:D no problems here everyones entitled to an opinion

ethelred

Well, the thread's certainly taken a turn towards shit in the last page. Can Mizuhara come and set it back on the right course?

Orodreth

ethelred said:
Well, the thread's certainly taken a turn towards shit in the last page. Can Mizuhara come and set it back on the right course?

His/her 360 is dead, RRod. Theres a chance Blimblim will upload some more through the weekend.

Coming back to a previous question, is the "Thousand years of dreams" compilation book difficult to understand if your japanese level is quite low? and does it come with furigana?

harSon

Banned
Maybe the game is that much of a mess but I cant help but shrug off western reviewers in this case, especially after they all ripped Blue Dragon (I thought it was damn good, extremely tradition but damn good) a new one. Why are Mass Effect's technical faults shrugged off (And for the most part they should, awesome game) by reviewers but will most likely 'hinder' the playing experience of Lost Odyssey?

h3ro

Thrakier said:
What about the random encounters? how much do they suck? random encounters in 2007 on a next gen console... :lol

I like random encounters... whats so :lol about them?

ethelred

Thrakier said:
What about the random encounters? how much do they suck? random encounters in 2007 on a next gen console... :lol

You don't say. There are random encounters in this game? Well then that changes everything! Thank you for rushing in to share this critical information with us.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
L0st Id3ntity said:
So why are not more people posting impressions?

feeling very importatnt? Or just too busy playing? :D
Duckroll should get the game just about now, Bebpo soon I guess, same for me.

Are those stories too difficult to understand if your japanese level is quite low? do they come with furigana?

You definitely need a good grasp of Japanese for the stories. There's no furigana (neither in the book, nor in the game).

The stories are pretty short, though, at between 10 and 15 pages, so if you're really patient and are quick with a kanji dictionary, you may be able to work your way through them.

The book seems to be getting a good amount of attention. I've had three friends whose only connection to games is a DS and a couple of non-games recognize the book while I was reading it. The author is well known.

Orodreth

AndriaSang said:
You definitely need a good grasp of Japanese for the stories. There's no furigana (neither in the book, nor in the game).

The stories are pretty short, though, at between 10 and 15 pages, so if you're really patient and are quick with a kanji dictionary, you may be able to work your way through them.

The book seems to be getting a good amount of attention. I've had three friends whose only connection to games is a DS and a couple of non-games recognize the book while I was reading it. The author is well known.

Thanks. Then it may be worth trying and may help me improve my japanese level.

I´ve been looking for books/childrens tales with furigana to help me on that but couldnt find anything online to purchase yet so that book even if its much more difficult can be helpful.

yukoner

intheinbetween said:

i'm confused..

Well, I know from watching the Gamersyde video's that most of that is complete horseshit.

The engine looks excellent as it transitions after the meteor strike.

Looks like IGN is jumping on the "Lets bash the shit out of another JRPG because we don't really like the genre" bandwagon...

The review industry is strange....How come an 'average' FPS gets an 8, but an average JRPG will get a 5 or 6?

IGN said:
Barring a dramatic shift past the six hour mark, Lost Odyssey isn't going to blow people away with its visuals or presentation. But, aside from a few cliches here and there, all signs do point to an otherwise solid Japanese RPG.

Well, I guess they aren't going too overboard. Nice to see a little bit of perspective...

Thrakier

h3ro said:
I like random encounters... whats so :lol about them?

Since Dragon Quest VIII I hate them. I really really hate them. At least I want to see the monsters before running into them. And fuck loading times before the fight starts.

Thrakier said:
Since Dragon Quest VIII I hate them. I really really hate them. At least I want to see the monsters before running into them. And fuck loading times before the fight starts.

yep, I hate them, hated them since Ive played my first jrpg...I can accept them to some extent, and Im still interested in LO, but I really dislike them

^

I see where you guys are coming from, if you don't like random encounters, there are ALOT of rpgs for you out there that don't have them, just leave this on for us. :)

MCD

yukoner said:
Well, I know from watching the Gamersyde video's that most of that is complete horseshit.

The engine looks excellent as it transitions after the meteor strike.

Looks like IGN is jumping on the "Lets bash the shit out of another JRPG because we don't really like the genre" bandwagon...

The review industry is strange....How come an 'average' FPS gets an 8, but an average JRPG will get a 5 or 6?

Well, I guess they aren't going too overboard. Nice to see a little bit of perspective...

Well, this gen is all about shooters.

also, both GS/IGN loved Eternal Sonata, probably because it's kinda not traditional.

anyway, read what Jonnyram wrote: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8855136&postcount=723

Ikael

Because basically talking, each gen there are some genres which are seen as "old" and others as "new" (even if they have been there forever, like FPSes), and instead of accepting new concepts while preserving the best of the tradition, this industry is always focused in "teh novelty".

Unfortunately, the ones that should have more respect for classic games / forumulas (the old gamers, the critics) are as well the first ones to jump into the burn the past bandwagon. I already got enough of this shit with the non stop trolling / critic shunning of 2D games and turn based strategy games during the late 90s, and It saddens me to see that shit happening again with yet another genre that I love (JRPGs).

Top Bottom