• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

Cedille

duckroll said:
The peercast is back, fucking crappy latency though. Can't see shit smoothly. :lol
Don't you use Peercast-VP? It really helps us to have a comfortable watch since it automatically screens and cuts off closed port users.

duckroll

Cedille said:
Don't you use Peercast-VP? It really helps us to have a comfortable watch since it automatically screens and cuts off closed port users.

Yeah I changed some port forwarding settings and it's really smooth now. I just watched for like half an hour, and I think that's enough. It's pretty much into spoiler territory, although it was nice to see a few battles. It looks like they fixed a lot of the demo's problems. The loading is pretty horrid though, especially when moving out of an area. Every few seconds you exit a screen and get another 10-20 seconds of loading.

JayDubya

Banned
duckroll said:
Honestly, that's a horrible idea. An actual implementation of anything close to D&D's rules in a completely turn based game would be the slowest and most boring thing ever. This is why all CRPGs that use D&D rules choose to make it pseudo-realtime so most of the turns are invisible.

It's one thing to be sitting on a table with friends rolling save throws. It's another thing sitting in front of a TV wondering when the fucking turn will ever end.

Um.

Spells are fairly quick when saving throws and damage are all rolled by random number generator by a computer.

If you're talking about casting time, um unless you're casting something not meant to be cast in combat, you should be good.

Like, what do you want to cast? Virtually anything that you'd be casting in a dangerous and time-sensitive situation takes 1 standard action, which is basically what you're doing in addition to maybe moving in a 6 second timeframe.

'Sides, the original FF (along with "Dragon Warrior") was the first exposure many of us had to the jRPG, and it was clearly loosely derived from D&D. Tiamat & Bahamut, spell slots, rigid character classes. Good stuff.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ok so the text are all in Japanese, but the voices can be switched to English. Ha well, better than nothing I guess.
Videos are coming within a few hours. Edit: Or maybe not, looks like DjMizuhara's dvd drive is having some troubles with the game :(

Cheers for the advice...I've cleared the cache and I'm still getting the DVD-drive issues...it's not crashed twice going from the Rendered intro into game.
Hmmm...

MCD

damn, try to clean it with a cloth or something, it's the only thing i know, or maybe play offline, could be a buggy dashboard thing.

and it appears that it won't work on US consoles.

Lebron said:
those are some nice screen grabs.

Also, just heard the tracks(some new) from LO that were played at the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra event. Awesome stuff. Really can't wait for the game and OST now.

heard them here
http://profile.imeem.com/eW-OumC/playlist/Azlf203N/lost_odyssey_music_playlist/
Those are really awesome.

My favorite so far is the one in the TGS 2007 official trailer, I hope it's the boss theme, it fits perfectly.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRDOcVYt6EQ

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Duckroll is currently browsing the credits of the game, and he's going crazy with it. Brace yourself for a massive post :)

duckroll

So...... who are the people REALLY working on Lost Odyssey? :)

Here are the main credits with previous works whenever I could find them.

Director: Daisuke Fukugawa (FFT battle planner, LoM World Map design)

Technical Director: Katsuhisa Higuchi (Battle Programmer - FF3-5, CT, CC, XG; FFXI Battle Director)

Art Director: Takamasa Ohsawa (Shadow Hearts)

Visual Director: Roy Sato (FF:TSW, Animatrix Final Flight of the Osiris)

Production Manager: Takehiro Kaminagayoshi (Legend of Dragoon Event Director)
Program Lead: Nobuyuki Yanagisawa (Shadow Hearts)

Battle Lead: Eiichiro Ishige

Level Design Lead: Fumihiro ****hira

Concept Art Lead: Hirohiko Iyoku (Legend of Dragoon)

Character Model Lead: Atsushi Miyazono (Shenmue, Phantom Dust)

Character Set-up Lead: Takahiro Matsumoto

Animation Lead: Takeshi Toyoda (Shadow Hearts)

Environment Model Lead: Junichiro Asakura (Shadow Hearts)

Object Model Lead: Ken Karube (Legend of Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Orta)

VFX Lead: Tarit Nilubol (Phantom Dust)

Visual Production Lead: Taro Hiwatashi

Cut Scene Lead: Ichiro Sato (Phantom Dust)

CG Cinematics Lead: Izumi Obata (Shadow Hearts)

Audio Lead: Hirotomi Imoto (Shadow Hearts)

Scenario Script Writer: Atsuhiro Tomioka (Bunch of anime, Blue Dragon, ASH)

Interface Designer: Osamu Yamazaki (Blue Dragon, ASH)

Character Costume Design: Hideo Minaba (FF9, FF12, Blue Dragon, ASH)

Concept Art Designer: Christian Scheurer (Bunch of Hollywood movies, FF:TSW)

Visual Concept Works: Makoto Kobayashi (Anime mecha/design works artist)

Monster & Gadget Design: Yoshinori Sayama (Anime mecha/design works artist)

And here's an interesting segment of Feelplus credits:

FEELPLUS CO., LTD

Programming

System Program: Takaaki Ishikawa (Shadow Hearts), Dan Ito, Chihiro Ito, Izumi Hamamoto (Shadow Hearts)
Battle Program: Masahiro Honma (Shadow Hearts)
World Map Program: Suguru Yokoyama (Shadow Hearts)
UI Program: Toshio Arai
Field Program: Hidetada Isaji, Makio Kuniyoshi
VFX Program: Junichi Ueno, Eizo Ono
Camera Program: Tatsuya Yoshinari (Parasite Eve, FF9)

Battle Sequence Design

Battle Planner: Takehiro Ishida (Shadow Hearts)
Battle Scripters: Taiki Eda, Kentaro Yazawa, Yoshikatsu Nakashima

And for those wondering about the English version.....

English Voice Cast

Kaim: Keith Ferguson
Seth: Tara Strong
Ming: Salli Saffioti
Sarah: Kim Mai Guest
Cooke: Kath Soucie
Mack: Nika Futterman
Jansen: Michael McGaharn
Tolten: Chad Brandon
Sed: Michael Bell
Gongora: Jesse Corti
King Gohtza: Peter Reneday
Kakanas: David Lodge
Lirum: Shelly Callahan
Roxian: H. Richard Greene
Maia: Melody Spevack

English Audio/Casting Director: Chris Borders (all Bioware/Black Isles games, Gears of War)

Translation of "A Thousand Years of Dreams": Jay Rubin (main translator of Haruki Murakami's novels)

So from these credits, we can assume several things:

- The Shadow Hearts team doesn't exist anymore, Ohgawa stole them and moved them to FeelPlus to make LO

- Kaminagayoshi stole quite a few guys from his LoD days to work on LO too

- Sakaguchi gave a lot of his old Square USA/Square Honolulu friends jobs again after he made them all lose theirs :lol

- The English version should rock, and I know for sure I'm going to be playing with English voices now. :p

duckroll

MightyHedgehog said:
Wow, sounds like an unprecedented amount of JRPG pedigree right there.

I dunno, I wouldn't really say that. It's just largely interesting that the Shadow Hearts team has been absorbed into Feelplus essentially. They do good work, and it'll be interesting to see them on a game with a much larger budget like this one.

Wilsongt

I had to pick my jaw up after reading all of the staff that came over from the Shadow Hearts series. This could turn out to be very good news.

reriel

duckroll said:
- The Shadow Hearts team doesn't exist anymore, Ohgawa stole them and moved them to FeelPlus to make LO
so we finally know it for sure, thanks !
but I wonder what's happened to Machida ( SH2 scenario & director) :\

duckroll

reriel said:
so we finally know it for sure, thanks !
but I wonder what's happened to Machida ( SH2 scenario & director) :\

Sounds like Ohsawa backstabbed him big time. By switching to the Gooch there's no need for any other scenario writer or worldview creator anymore! :(

Interesting. I've always wondered what happened to the SH team after they were dissolved. I half guessed, though I never really did think hard about it, that they ended it up at feel+. Glad the SH guys found work. I think I recall a joke someone made, saying that it explained why the game was so darn short - looks like they may not have been far off, though I thought it was because of Katsuhisa Higuchi that the battle tweaking and slim down occured.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
duckroll said:

I find it awfully sad that there won't ever be another SH game but glad to see the folks responsible for them are still around and still making RPGs. This only makes the wait for LO's US release even harder.

^

OMG yes!

But I don't know if I should watch... I watched the first 10 minutes of Blue Dragon you posted at that time (or actully 40 minutes lol), and really regreted it.

Thanks a bunch, though... you and DjMizuhara.

MCD

DjMizuhara
6kjl2za.gif

h3ro

Thanks BlimBlim and DJMizhura...

After seeing that footage... I want this game... NOW

Is there a set US release date?

MCD

Blim, why not make a comparison video between this and the old 2006 demo?

it would be fun!

harSon

Banned
Game looks great so far. Just one question, does the timing circle (for combat) not come into play till later in the game?

Top Bottom