• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

Llyranor

That battle system sounds interesting. Charging attacks/spells in BD wasn't a huge addition, but it went a long way in making the combat system feeling more fresh.

duckroll

Hey Jonny, any chance of getting LO scans from Famitsu Xbox360? They gave a navi-guide booklet along with this month's issue right?

Kuroyume said:
That LO vocal track has really grown on me... :x
Likewise. In my free time, I've been playing the main tune on the piano. I think, during my Winter break, I'll make a piano version of that vocal track.

I'll post it here when I get to finishing it.

clashfan

Been reading this thread and there seems to be some hostility toward LO in this thread. It doesn't seem like a revolutionary game but it does seem pretty solid and fans of JRPG should enjoy it.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Nice. I wonder if there is english text too :p
Running is nice too.

Nope, I'm pretty sure there won't be any english text. Unless it's a complete surprise like Operation Darkness, which I doubt very much. Considering how even in TGS when they were showing western press behind closed doors the game - with English voice - the game was all in Japanese, I'm pretty sure that the English version simply isn't ready yet. Maybe they decided to take the time the delay has given them to polish up the translation or something.

Don't worry though, like in Blue Dragon days, if you have a problem, THIS THREAD WILL SOLVE IT! And this time you'll understand the story completely too, since it'll be..... in English. :D

duckroll

Kyoufu said:
This basically means the US version will also be dual audio right? If so, I may double dip depending on how much I like the game.

Yes, that's been confirmed ages ago. The reason why the JP release is dual audio as well is because the game is lipsynced to the English voices, so that is technically the "original" voice track as far as the cutscene directing goes.

Orodreth

duckroll said:
Exactly! More interesting, because spells always come -after- regular attacks (and probably most attack skills), this means that for your back row casters, you'll definitely want to keep your Guard Condition high. If enemies can cancel your spells with certain attacks, that would be bad. I like how the entire system seems intergrated and is making sense from a gameplay standpoint now. :)

I missed that Guard condition variable. Care to explain that a bit, please?

And is there the option to put strong physical members to guard the weakest, something like in Etrian for example? (i think it was in FFX as well, cant remember now thats the last FF i have played, not counting remakes). That way, you can block the enemies, keep casters safe and be able to use magic attacks without exposing too much.

Also, dont think i like the evade/escape option being so behind in the turns priority queue and even less if the game has random encounters. Isnt the game punishing that option? if you want to evade enemies that will hurt, you´re gonna have few chances of escaping without being damaged everytime; and if you want to avoid battles against minions that you can easily wipe and get little to no xp (to avoid repetion) you´ll have to wait some turns also.

Btw, I´m playing FFIII DS now and even if the order is not static i think theres at least a recognizable pattern of %, having the Items a chance to be first in the turn, followed by some spells like cure, and finally attacks and rest of magic.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FFChris said:
This game is out today in Japan, isn't it? Any JGaffers picking it up?
Official release date is on Friday, but people should start getting it on Wednesday if not before.

Anyone know if this is getting any sort of marketing support in Japan? I think this may be MS's last game that can do well in Japan for a while so they might as well push it as hard as they can.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Psychotext said:
Anyone know if this is getting any sort of marketing support in Japan? I think this may be MS's last game that can do well in Japan for a while so they might as well push it as hard as they can.
It looks like the marketing push is far from as Blue Dragon's, as far as I can tell.

kay

Blimblim said:
It looks like the marketing push is far from as Blue Dragon's, as far as I can tell.
Blue Dragon didn't have a huge almost full screen ad when you visit dengekionline.com

duckroll said:
That's the novel with 31 of the 34 short stories in the game compiled together.

There's something interesting I read on the Japanese LO wiki site. It seems that there's more than meets the eye to the battle system, even though it's a turn based system. While it doesn't use any ATB system, there's apparently a precise calculation for how turns go. You make all the selections for all your party members at the start of a turn, but in what order they carry out those actions depends on the action selected.

Here are some basic rules:

Defend -> Item -> Attack -> Skill/Magic -> Escape -> Row Change.

What this means is that why character that is defending, will always defend right at the start of a turn, before any attacks can be made. Next will be the characters using items. Next the regular attackers will attack in an order determined by their Agility. Skill and Magic casters will be next, but it should be noted that regular attacks against casters (which will always occur before casting) can delay or cancel such spells and skills. Next will be the escape attempt, and finally characters who which to change their row placement (front/back) will make their move.

Apparently it's also possible to change equipment while in battle, but it's no one is sure how it affects turn order at the moment.

I like this battle system, it's sort of like what Shadow Hearts had used, it's not exactly new but it's good.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kay said:
Blue Dragon didn't have a huge almost full screen ad when you visit dengekionline.com
Didn't BD have a big ad right outside Tokyo station or something like that, plus a big event at Shibuya?
Maybe this time is putting their money where they should put it, where gamers are, and in that case it's a good thing :)

Blimblim said:
Didn't BD have a big ad right outside Tokyo station or something like that, plus a big event at Shibuya?
Maybe this time is putting their money where they should put it, where gamers are, and in that case it's a good thing :)

And that big display where you can get your own giant shadow...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
BenjaminBirdie said:
And that big display where you can get your own giant shadow...
Yeah, that was I meant by the Shibuya event.
If MS is aiming this time at the gamers instead of some elusive casuals, I'm all for it.

Srider

Banned
Desiderus said:
But still it doesn't seem that mindblowing but more restricting. You can't spam skills to kill some shit monster that keeps popping up without taking damage. I would like it but not in that situation.

I wish magic took a while to cast, something like in FFT so using spells would leave someone out of commission for a while (like with FF4 though ATB).

edit:I want to know why sometimes during the video during the boss mostly why characters seemed to do nothing. Stun?

What makes you think that some magic or skill doesn't take multiple turns to cast?

syllogism

duckroll said:
Honestly, that's a horrible idea. An actual implementation of anything close to D&D's rules in a completely turn based game would be the slowest and most boring thing ever. This is why all CRPGs that use D&D rules choose to make it pseudo-realtime so most of the turns are invisible.

It's one thing to be sitting on a table with friends rolling save throws. It's another thing sitting in front of a TV wondering when the fucking turn will ever end.

Temple of Elemental Evil?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll: do you have to press and X to run? why not make it the default movement speed?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Psychotext said:
We should be able to expect Infinite Undiscovery next year, so there's one more left. After that, I wouldn't be surprised to not hear anything from MS in regards to Japan for a long time.

Two more days!

Desiderus

Srider said:
What makes you think that some magic or skill doesn't take multiple turns to cast?
When I watch the handful of avaliable videos, read hands-on's, and the extra information from this current event I haven't seen it brought up. That would be a BIG DEAL and plastered just about everywhere. Blue Dragon had the charge which I enjoyed and I don't know about ASH though I read the whole thread about the japanese release.

Based on past projects the battle director should use the casting time system.

DMC4 and LO = great start to 08.
My same early '08 day one pickups as well.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Nope, I'm pretty sure there won't be any english text. Unless it's a complete surprise like Operation Darkness, which I doubt very much. Considering how even in TGS when they were showing western press behind closed doors the game - with English voice - the game was all in Japanese, I'm pretty sure that the English version simply isn't ready yet. Maybe they decided to take the time the delay has given them to polish up the translation or something.
I thought the English was ready and it was only delayed because of Mass Effect?
Well I'm certainly glad they didn't get rid of the dual voices to try and squeeze it onto three discs instead of four. English text would be most welcome though...
I'll check out my copy of Famitsu tonight and see what LO stuff it has, if any is worth scanning or not.

Desiderus

Witchfinder General said:
I can't wait for this.

Quick question:

Can you buy better weapons/armour or is it only rings and ear-rings ala Blue Dragon?
Weapons you can. Don't think so for armor. Still uses the ring and earring system like Blue Dragon too.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah same here (but you already know that thanks to our awesomely intelligent conversation on AIM). The little I saw looked very nice, but damn the loadings sure are bad bad bad.

MCD

Blimblim said:
Yeah same here (but you already know that thanks to our awesomely intelligent conversation on AIM). The little I saw looked very nice, but damn the loadings sure are bad bad bad.

How bad are we talking here?

Kafel

Banned
Blimblim said:
Yeah, that was I meant by the Shibuya event.
If MS is aiming this time at the gamers instead of some elusive casuals, I'm all for it.

54590.31102007-LO+NG2-01.jpg

This thing is old though.

So, region locked confirmed or we may have to wait for a consumer to try it ?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kafel said:
So, region locked confirmed or we may have to wait for a consumer to try it ?
Not a single Japanese game (that was not released simultaneously everywhere else) on the 360 has ever been region free before.
As for the loadings, I'd say between 10 and 20 seconds from one scene to the other.

MCD

ugh, that's long for a cut scene, but hey it will be a nice break i guess lol.

btw, isn't AC6 region free?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
McDragon said:
ugh, that's long for a cut scene, but hey it will be a nice break i guess lol.

btw, isn't AC6 region free?
They show one of your character's stats during the loading :D

(Edit) Like this:
lo1.png

This one was 14 seconds long.

MCD

That's nice.

btw blim, was he playing without a HDD? it could be the reason for the long loading, if not, never mind.

Hunahan

Banned
Connection's getting too flaky for me to watch anymore.

Managed to grab a couple screenshots for people who missed it/care. Quality's not great, but maybe better than nothing.

You can see them all here.

(sample)
lo_screen1.jpg

Load times don't seem like that big of a deal to me. They're definitely there, but not unreasonable.

Really good enemy variety in the sections I was able to catch. Shame that enemies can cast the same spells the player uses, though. I'm not sure why, but that always seems cheap to me.

Top Bottom