• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

duckroll

ethelred said:
This is a very serious thread for a very serious game. Best take more care for the Cry On thread -- a misstep like that there, and someone will need to make you bawl, presumably through a kick in the balls.

Most people posting on that thread are going to be really highly strung. After all, it's a lot of pressure playing a game that demands you cry every 15 minutes. :(

MCD

btw ethelred, if the Japanese/Asian version are region free with Japanese/English voices + English text, you can always import it instead of waiting.

Tokubetsu

duckroll said:
Most people posting on that thread are going to be really highly strung. After all, it's a lot of pressure playing a game that demands you cry every 15 minutes. :(

"Oh Cry On? Yeah, I couldn't finish that game. I felt emotionally drained after the first few hours."

ethelred said:
This is a very serious thread for a very serious game. Best take more care for the Cry On thread -- a misstep like that there, and someone will need to make you bawl, presumably through a kick in the balls.

.... :lol

ethelred

McDragon said:
btw ethelred, if the Japanese/Asian version are region free with Japanese/English voices + English text, you can always import it instead of waiting.

If they are, I fully intend to.

MCD

Quazar said:
asian version will have english voice acting? If so why wait?

I doubt they would have, but since this game is lip synced to the US voices...

anyway, better wait till it's out.

duckroll

McDragon said:
I doubt they would have, but since this game is lip synced to the US voices...

anyway, better wait till it's out.

I'm pretty sure all versions of Lost Odyssey will have dual-language. It's just the text that will remain in Japanese.

MCD

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure all versions of Lost Odyssey will have dual-language. It's just the text that will remain in Japanese.

If so, then the Asian version would do. (English text)

that if it's region free.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
blue dragon asian version wasn't in English.. so that should tell us something.. but you never know

duckroll

Blackace said:
blue dragon asian version wasn't in English.. so that should tell us something.. but you never know

Well there were actually two versions. The one released a few months after the Japanese release but before the US one was in English. But yeah, I don't expect the Asian LO in Dec to have any English text at all. Maybe the one in January.

reriel

duckroll said:
There's supposedly more coverage of Lost Odyssey in both Famitsu and Famitsu Xbox360. No scans have popped up this week yet though. :(
nothing yet ? nobody care I suppose -___-

duckroll

http://rux.cocolog-nifty.com/tic/2007/12/post_220a.html

Apparently there was an event yesterday where bloggers were invited to check out LO. Here are some stats.

From starting a new game to getting into the first battle: 10 minutes
From starting a new game to getting to the title logo: 42 minutes

(In this entire intro process, you cannot save the game)

Initial loading time when you start a new game: 20 seconds
Loading a save game: 3 seconds

Saving a game (pressing A at a save point, going through the menus, etc, and getting back to the field): 14 seconds

Random Encounter (from the point of the transition up until the menu appears): 12 seconds

After an encounter (returning to the field): 6 seconds

There are three types of loading in the game -

Short loads: 2 seconds
Normal loads: 5 seconds
Long loads: 15 seconds

In normal and short loads, you just seeing the Now Loading text at the bottom left of a black screen. In long loads, character design art appears in the middle of the screen. This seems identical to how Blue Dragon handles it.

Overall the game itself feels very traditional, but the customization systems make it rather interesting. Normal enemy encounters are pretty easy, but the boss is pretty tough.

Diablos54

duckroll said:
http://rux.cocolog-nifty.com/tic/2007/12/post_220a.html

Apparently there was an event yesterday where bloggers were invited to check out LO. Here are some stats.

From starting a new game to getting into the first battle: 10 minutes
From starting a new game to getting to the title logo: 42 minutes

(In this entire intro process, you cannot save the game)

Initial loading time when you start a new game: 20 seconds
Loading a save game: 3 seconds

Saving a game (pressing A at a save point, going through the menus, etc, and getting back to the field): 14 seconds

Random Encounter (from the point of the transition up until the menu appears): 12 seconds

After and encounter (returning to the field): 6 seconds

There are three types of loading in the game -

Short loads: 2 seconds
Normal loads: 5 seconds
Long loads: 15 seconds

In normal and short loads, you just seeing the Now Loading text at the bottom left of a black screen. In long loads, character design art appears in the middle of the screen. This seems identical to how Blue Dragon handles it.

Overall the game itself feels very traditional, but the customization systems make it rather interesting. Normal enemy encounters are pretty easy, but the boss is pretty tough.
Seems very like BD in those respects, which isn't too bad. Doesn't seem as if the load times are that long, should make random battles a bit quicker.

harSon

Banned
Either they count really fast or the transition is twice as slow as it was in September at TGS? I count eoughly 6 maybe 7 seconds from the point of the initial encounter to when the menus pop up.

Edit: Also isn't the enemy with the shadowy face, shell helmet, and leaf on his head from this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7fPxQDWzYc in Blue Dragon :p?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
harSon said:
Either they count really fast or the transition is twice as slow as it was in September at TGS? I count eoughly 6 maybe 7 seconds from the point of the initial encounter to when the menus pop up.
The TGS demo certainly was running off a dev kit's hard drive.

harSon said:
Edit: Also isn't the enemy with the shadowy face, shell helmet, and leaf on his head from this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7fPxQDWzYc in Blue Dragon :p?
Yes, the Kero enemy is in both games. In fact it was "playable" first in LO, since it was already in the Famitsu demo last year ;)

ethelred

Diablos54 said:
Seems very like BD in those respects, which isn't too bad. Doesn't seem as if the load times are that long, should make random battles a bit quicker.

12 seconds is pretty seriously bad for fights.

Diablos54

ethelred said:
12 seconds is pretty seriously bad for fights.
It is? I guess it's been far too long since I played a RPG with random battles, guess I've got to go and dig a few up then. :lol

harSon

Banned
Blimblim said:
The TGS demo certainly was running off a dev kit's hard drive.

Yes, the Kero enemy is in both games. In fact it was "playable" first in LO, since it was already in the Famitsu demo last year ;)

Even the demo released with Famitsu Weekly last year had 6-7 second time difference between the encounter and menus appearing. It's kind of hard to believe that they went backwards in development with a year left, especially when Sakaguchi said they were tightening up load times several months back. But I guess the inexperience of Feel Plus could be a factor?

Edit: Took out an actual watch:

The video here: http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_3494_en.html random encounters are between 8-9 seconds.

Skilletor

I really want this game to be good, but I hear too many things that makes me think it won't be :(. 12 second loads AND random encounters is horrible.

Could it be possible that they're playing without a hdd? /hopeful

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jinko said:
I watched same vids and I make both battles to be 4-5 secs,or do you consider loading time until you take control of your character ? (to me thats not loading time)
The way the blog is counting:
Random Encounter (from the point of the transition up until the menu appears)

harSon

Banned
Jinko said:
I watched same vids and I make both battles to be 4-5 secs,or do you consider loading time until you take control of your character ? (to me thats not loading time)

Thats still considered loading time. It may be less boring to look at then a black screen but you're still not in control.

Also, DuckRoll. What did you use to do your timings? Using my watch, I came up with times that were typically 1-3 seconds shorter then yours.

Bah doesn't matter, still a long time for random encounters :p

duckroll

Jinko said:

Maybe you should learn to read first, before asking. :)

Jinko

Fact of the matter is that a loading time is not part of the character animation before a battle, pretty much all tun based JRPG's have these sort of things, regardless of random battles.

So as long as you are used to JRPG's and how the battle is set up, I don't considered it that long in my opinion.

Seems people will complain about the smallest thing though, just to draw attention to themselves :)

duckroll

Jinko said:
Seems people will complain about the smallest thing though, just to draw attention to themselves :)

I dunno, the blog wasn't complaining at all. It was mostly an informative piece which was rather positive.

Jinko

Perhaps, but timing until you have your first battle encounter or first save point.

Do these people have no life :p ?

duckroll

Timedog said:
Hopefully they add an option to cut down that lag time before the fight on the US release.

Yeah I'm sure. Just like how they took the time to add V-Sync in the US release of Blue Dragon, since it took 8 months or so. Oh wait, no they didn't!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Timedog said:
Hopefully they add an option to cut down that lag time before the fight on the US release.
Not going to happen. For every Japanese titles published by MS the localized versions are *exactly* the same, they just change the strings/voices and some textures. The code itself is unchanged.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
12 seconds to load a random battle and 6 to load the game world...

....18 seconds of nothing every battle.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
All the complaints about how many seconds this and that takes don't really bother me since when i watch the video of the game play it looks just fine.

FFChris

Are you guys seriously moaning about a bunch of figures?

I mean, I could understand if you were playing the game and finding the translation times excessive...but looking at a blog and making assumptions based on figures isn't really the best way to analyse the game is it?

MCD

i just watched the video again, it's about 4 sec to load an encounter and 10 sec from an encounter to the menu.

not bad at all, and it's much faster and smoother than BD while fighting.

Desiderus

FFChris said:
but looking at a blog and making assumptions based on figures isn't really the best way to analyse the game is it?
They are also using past gameplay videos as well. I get what they are saying because battle transitions can kill the vibe. As long as it isn't as awkward as the Chrono Trigger PS1 port (10secs of staring at everyone frozen) it is not so bad.

FFChris

Desiderus said:
They are also using past gameplay videos as well. I get what they are saying because battle transitions can kill the vibe. As long as it isn't as awkward as the Chrono Trigger PS1 port (10secs of staring at everyone frozen) it is not so bad.

Watching the gameplay videos, it didn't seem to bad to me. The figures do make the translations look bad though, that's what I'm saying.

Reading numbers isn't the same as playing the game.

Top Bottom