• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

I must find this alleged... 'trailer'. Although it sonds like something they'd never have allowed someone to record.

I saw a 360 game the other day on here that had the most flock amazing cell shading i'd ever seen. Some japanese only title. I cant wait to see how Mistwalker handles the technique I cant imagine how flock awesome

ok, I sound like a VM I dont mean to but Mistwalker really is very interesting to me. Its like they have the potential to provide us with some potentially very awesome games!

<nu>faust said:
from ign

"Gameplay will take different forms depending on which character you're controlling. Sakaguchi wants to give the game more of a puzzle/RPG focus when playing as Sally, as he doesn't want her to wield a sword. The action will come when players use Bogle. In terms of division of play time between the two characters, we can expect 15 minutes of Sally time, to finish off with a minute of time with the Bogle.

Even when playing as the Bogle, Cry On isn't a pure action game. The game is focused on the scenarios which are being crafted by Sakaguchi himself. Sakaguchi mentions a couple of possible situations: saving people as part of the storyline and using Bogle to raise a ship out of the water.

Visually, the game will use cell shading for its visuals, although Sakaguchi is quick to point out that it's not the kind of cell shading we're used to seeing. At the game's unveiling this past week, publisher AQ Interactive showed a trailer for the title featuring what many believed to be hand-drawn animation resembling a Miyazaki movie. The animation was actually computer generated, and Sakaguchi is promising a final game that looks quite similar to it."
So you spend 45 seconds every 15 mins fighting, sounds like a puzzle game to me.

vspectra06 said:
Hopefully they show some Cry-on stuff at TGS as well.
Nice edit. :lol

BamYouHaveAids said:
I'm thinking it's a Ico type of game.

I remember reading that Cry On will be some sort of combination of Ico and Katamari (of all things) in the form of a RPG. Not really sure how that'll work.

Anyway, here's the Famitsu Cry On scans..

If Cry On does wind up looking similar to hand drawn animaton, I'll crap my pants, wash them, and crap them again. It can't be said enough, kudos to MS in pullig out all of the stops in attemping to get some quality RPGs on the 360.

ethelred

Systems_id said:
If Cry On does wind up looking similar to hand drawn animaton, I'll crap my pants, wash them, and crap them again. It can't be said enough, kudos to MS in pullig out all of the stops in getting some quality RPGs on the 360.

Microsoft isn't publishing Cry On, as was stated earlier. AQ Interactive is.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I was reading this and... the main dude is immortal? that reminds me of the manga Blade of the Immortal (that manga is seriously ****ing amazing) Im hyped for this game. plz deliver.

Error2k4 said:
I was reading this and... the main dude is immortal? that reminds me of the manga Blade of the Immortal (that manga is seriously ****ing amazing) Im hyped for this game. plz deliver.

somehow i think the theme will be his quest for mortality

Error

well that would be cliche really, 'immortal dude wants to find a way to die' meh....

but the concept is interesting since I dont think it has been done before in jRPGs

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
well that would be cliche really, 'immortal dude wants to find a way to die' meh....

but the concept is interesting since I dont think it has been done before in jRPGs

Which concept, immortality? That's been done before. Try playing Venus & Braves (Namco's best RPG ever).

snoopers

I am multitalented
lollerskates said:
I saw a 360 game the other day on here that had the most flock amazing cell shading i'd ever seen. Some japanese only title. I cant wait to see how Mistwalker handles the technique I cant imagine how flock awesome

Idolmaster ?

1111_0002.jpg

cliches and gaming to together, lol.

yes idolmaster was the one there was a bunch of bigger screens though. Watch it to have turned out to not really be cell chaded or something and i'm completely owned!

Error

ethelred said:
Which concept, immortality? That's been done before. Try playing Venus & Braves (Namco's best RPG ever).
that game was released it here? I never played that game

Error

:sigh

Namco has to be the shittiest Japanese 3rd party here in the US.

if they dont butcher the game by censoring the shit out of it, they dont release the game here... it's really ****ing retarded.

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
:sigh

Namco has to be the shittiest Japanese 3rd party here in the US.

if they dont butcher the game by censoring the shit out of it, they dont release the game here... it's really ****ing retarded.

Agreed. :/

Duderz

Banned
I remember Venus & Braves. I really, really wanted to play it, too. Incredible graphics, awesome soundtrack.

I still have the song Waltz for Ariah on my iTunes. What a great song.

EDIT: Isn't the PS3 region-free? Maybe I'll try import it and try it out.

Then again, it's an RPG in Japanese, and I'd be totally lost. :(

ethelred

Duderz said:
I remember Venus & Braves. I really, really wanted to play it, too. Incredible graphics, awesome soundtrack.

I still have the song Waltz for Ariah on my iTunes. What a great song.

EDIT: Isn't the PS3 region-free? Maybe I'll try import it and try it out.

Then again, it's an RPG in Japanese, and I'd be totally lost. :(

Incredible everything, actually -- amazing story, amazing and innovative gameplay, gorgeous art and graphics, and the music... to die for. Waltz for Ariah IS phenomenal, as is the battle theme.

Duderz

Banned
So would I be lost if I were to import it? What does it play like?

(Sorry to derail the thread, we can take this to PM if you like, but Error might be interested as well.)

ethelred

Duderz said:
So would I be lost if I were to import it? What does it play like?

(Sorry to derail the thread, we can take this to PM if you like, but Error might be interested as well.)

Hah, I already told Error what it's like outside the thread. :p

duckroll

Tieno said:
I found this Lost Odyssey trailer on my pc from a few months back. It's from xboxyde but it's not there anymore. I haven't found this on any other site so I uploaded it to youtube. It seems like a CGI fight sequence. It's pretty cool! Watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxIv4Z3KFY

According to Sakaguchi, not only is that fight not CG, but that's how the playable demo opens, and just as you think it's a CG fight sequence, you realize it's a menu driven fight and the battle looks exactly like that.

Now he might be exaggerating, but if he's not, we'll know next week. Sakaguchi apparently wants Lost Odyssey to invoke the same "OMG WHAT THE **** THIS IS REALTIME?!" feeling that the FFVII demo first did on the PS1.

/hype

ethelred

duckroll said:
According to Sakaguchi, not only is that fight not CG, but that's how the playable demo opens, and just as you think it's a CG fight sequence, you realize it's a menu driven fight and the battle looks exactly like that.

Now he might be exaggerating, but if he's not, we'll know next week. Sakaguchi apparently wants Lost Odyssey to invoke the same "OMG WHAT THE **** THIS IS REALTIME?!" feeling that the FFVII demo first did on the PS1.

/hype

I'm hyped.

Duderz

Banned
Seriously, I'm expecting great things from the X360 jRPGs.

Never thought I'd be typing that. :lol

But man, Trusty Bell, Cry-On, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey all look phenomenal.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
That does match up with the demo impressions. I believe Che said something about that transition (he says it goes seemlessly from CG to playable, you can't tell where it changes, not that it's all in engine, however), and others have said the intro is very LotR like, in that there's mass amounts of units.

Needless to say, I want this demo. Bad. I will die inside a little bit, my heart will shrink 4 sizes, if it's region locked.

Drek said:
Lost Odyssey is my personal reason to buy an X360. Sakaguchi back where he belongs, designing games, makes me as happy as any event in the recent history of gaming.

PS360 for the gamer win. Thats right, $1K on hardware alone! Good thing I'm looking at a new job working for a bank. If I don't make manager by fall '07 I'll have to resort to knocking it off! :lol
Word. Both Sony and MS are really stepping their game despite the high prices.

duckroll

Also, I would like to point out something for those that think we already know that the battles are "exactly like normal FF"....

First Lost Odyssey battle shot:

First Final Fantasy XII battle shot:

llTll

Banned
Duderz said:
Seriously, I'm expecting great things from the X360 jRPGs.

Never thought I'd be typing that. :lol

But man, Trusty Bell, Cry-On, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey all look phenomenal.

lost oddyssey? ok
Blue Dragon? ok
Cry-on? ok
trusty Bell? nope

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Systems_id said:
If Cry On does wind up looking similar to hand drawn animaton, I'll crap my pants, wash them, and crap them again.
On the second-page of those scans (quoted above), the left-most portion of the scan has an in-engine shot. I believe it's the top-rectangle. You can tell from the polygon edges. The larger, bottom picture, though? I have no idea, but I wouldn't doubt that it's in-engine as well.

I'm completely fascinated with Lost Odyssey. The art, the music, the concept; everything about it intrigues me. This game is definitely one of the reasons why I'm getting an Xbox 360.

SnakeXs

llTll said:
lost oddyssey? ok
Blue Dragon? ok
Cry-on? ok
trusty Bell? nope

I'm sorry, but visually and concept wise, Trusty Bell looks fantastic.

But since you did us all the pleasure of giving reasons, well... You know.

llTll

Banned
SnakeXs said:
I'm sorry, but visually and concept wise, Trusty Bell looks fantastic.

But since you did us all the pleasure of giving reasons, well... You know.

visually its not impressive.

EDIT: btw. does anyone of you have Lost Oddyssey logo as wallpaper ? i need one with higher rez if you guys have it.

thanks

SnakeXs

m0dus said:
I can tell you with complete certainty that that sequence is CG. There are post-effects going on that the 360 and PS3 would only dream of being able to do realtime, especially considering how much simultaneous action/animation is going on onscreen. Plus, that's a rather old vid, as I understand. I'm sure the game will look incredible, but let's not get carried away here, ok? :)

While I'm not doubting that, as it's said above there seems to be very seemless transitions between CG and gameplay, so at any moment during that it'll shift to in engine gameplay without a hiccup, if I understand correctly. Add on top of that the multiple claims that the CG models and in engine models are "almost identical", and well, I doubt we're in for much less than wee see. Sure the animation and a few effects are a step above, let's be realistic, but as far as a baseline for visuals I'd be surprised if it was far off.

U K Narayan said:
On the second-page of those scans (quoted above), the left-most portion of the scan has an in-engine shot. I believe it's the top-rectangle. You can tell from the polygon edges. The larger, bottom picture, though? I have no idea, but I wouldn't doubt that it's in-engine as well.

I'm completely fascinated with Lost Odyssey. The art, the music, the concept; everything about it intrigues me. This game is definitely one of the reasons why I'm getting an Xbox 360.
You have much better eyes than me cause I can't see the edges at all. If you told me that was part of a cinematic, I'd have no trouble believing you.

ethelred

llTll said:

Aside from the fact that it is visually beautiful, you might be right... and aside from the fact that visuals aren't everything in RPGs anyway, and aside from the developer pedigree, and aside from the fact that the concept is stellar...

Yeah, you've definitely proven your case that Trusty Bell is a failure.

Next.

SnakeXs

llTll said:

Well, if visuals are the first thing you look for in an RPG anyways, I'm sorry.

That said, in what sense? I'm not a fan of Tales games, or cel-shading, but on an artistic level I find Trusty Bell beautiful. On a technical level, well, it hasn't been seen in motion so I won't comment, but I could care less either way.

Error

who's behind trusty bell? tri-cescendo?

if so, that's confirmation enough that the game is going to rock.

llTll

Banned
ethelred said:
Aside from the fact that it is visually beautiful, you might be right... and aside from the fact that visuals aren't everything in RPGs anyway, and aside from the developer pedigree, and aside from the fact that the concept is stellar...

Yeah, you've definitely proven your case that Trusty Bell is a failure.

Next.

SnakeXs said:
Well, if visuals are the first thing you look for in an RPG anyways, I'm sorry.

That said, in what sense? I'm not a fan of Tales games, or cel-shading, but on an artistic level I find Trusty Bell beautiful. On a technical level, well, it hasn't been seen in motion so I won't comment, but I could care less either way.

the thing we have seen from this game is screen shots. and not very impressive screen shots either [ i remember a thread about this here where they compared it with this ps2 game Rouge Galaxy or whatever its called. and graphicly, its not really wow amazing this is next gen [ thats IMO ofcourse ]. and i am not fan of tales game.

so those reasons above = the game is a NO for me till i see some stuff in action.

also. this is not trusty bell thread. lets please stop it at here. i have no personal problem with this game as it didnt kill my family. different tastes. move along.

Akira

I've been looking forward to seeing more of Lost Odyssey and I'm pleasantly surprised with the screens and impressions. This is a good example of how to build up hype by not showing the game too early. I would like to hear more about the other systems (advance battle, character interaction, character growth, etc.) that will not be included in the demo.

Is there a chance Mistwalker will announce more RPG projects at TGS? I dunno, but they seem to have a full lineup already.

Sallokin

That wallpaper is killer. Thanks for that.

If the demo for LO opens with that battle and looks that good then I'd be willing to believe that the 360 has a shot in Japan. Can't wait until next week to learn more.

I'm more worried that once the PS3 launches more and more companies are going to move development over to it simply because it will do better in Japan. I'm not entirely sure we'd be seeing games like LO, BD, Infinite Undiscovery etc. on the PS3. We'd probably see more sequels than unique IPs

Also, I'm hearing a lot about Trusty Bell. Can anyone point me in the right direction for screens etc...?

Top Bottom