• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

Ikael

The good:
- At least a JRPG that it is not about an emo teenager that has to save the world
- It transpires style and class. And uniqueness. I freaking love it.
- Awesome soundtrack & setting
- The general concept behind it is grandious. And screw the "lol overambitious Molineaux part 2 Sakaguchi am overrated" crew.
- Great first impressions

The unanswered
- Battle system anyone? Can anyone describe it beyond the "ATB" system? If it is just like the old and tired ff formula, it can be boring, unless they have putted one twist or two there.
- I really wonder how the difficulty curve is suppoused to be since you cannot die. Perhaps every other character than the main one can die and you have to protec them and the game will progress in one way or anotehr depending of who you save? that would own in several levels.

The bad
- Just why the hell are they still using FMVs?

C4Lukins

Ikael said:
The good:
- At least a JRPG that it is not about an emo teenager that has to save the world
- It transpires style and class. And uniqueness. I freaking love it.
- Awesome soundtrack & setting
- The general concept behind it is grandious. And screw the "lol overambitious Molineaux part 2 Sakaguchi am overrated" crew.
- Great first impressions

The unanswered
- Battle system anyone? Can anyone describe it beyond the "ATB" system? If it is just like the old and tired ff formula, it can be boring, unless they have putted one twist or two there.
- I really wonder how the difficulty curve is suppoused to be since you cannot die. Perhaps every other character than the main one can die and you have to protec them and the game will progress in one way or anotehr depending of who you save? that would own in several levels.

The bad

I'm thinking that the "You cannot die" mechanic will lead to some interesting options. Not sure what they are, but I expect it to be different from things we have seen. As for the old school FF gameplay, I don't really have a problem with it. I love that sort of battle system, they just need to make it more complex then "Ice3" "Slow" "Heal "Guard." My big problem with JRPG's has always been the lack of customization. If they can take FF gameplay, and add much deeper customization, that would be nice. What I would love to see, is an FF game with the Diablo/ WOW integration of items in the game. Not just open this chest to get this item, and kill this boss to get that item. Not the simple, helmet, armour, sword thing we have been getting for years.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I do believe LO > FFXIII from what we've seen so far. Though I have no doubt both will just get more impressive over time.

jj984jj said:
I said it before and I'll say it again, I do believe LO > FFXII from what we've seen so far. Though I have no doubt both will just get more impressive over time.

as down on FFXIII i am, i would say its more LO = FFXIII

now FFXII Nomura fantasy side story... thats a completely different ballgame..

GreekWolf

My Arms Your Hearse said:
They obviously can't compare because the FFXIII shots can't possibly be real according to most of GAF.
:lol

Dude, is it physically impossible for you to enter a 360 thread and just say - GAME LOOKS NICE. I MIGHT BUY IT

FateBreaker said:
Thanks for all of the impressions, Che! Whenever you get a free second (if that's even possible today), how's the music of both games?
Yeah, I think that's what I'm most looking forward to at TGS/X06. Getting a small taste of Uematsu's contribution.

FF3 wouldn't have had nearly the same effect on me without that amazing soundtrack.

Ikael said:

The bad

1) Pretty sure that's how the dying thing works.
2) Depending on your interpretation of the mangled translation of that interview. there may not be any FMV at all.

C4Lukins said:
I'm thinking that the "You cannot die" mechanic will lead to some interesting options. Not sure what they are, but I expect it to be different from things we have seen. As for the old school FF gameplay, I don't really have a problem with it. I love that sort of battle system, they just need to make it more complex then "Ice3" "Slow" "Heal "Guard." My big problem with JRPG's has always been the lack of customization. If they can take FF gameplay, and add much deeper customization, that would be nice. What I would love to see, is an FF game with the Diablo/ WOW integration of items in the game. Not just open this chest to get this item, and kill this boss to get that item. Not the simple, helmet, armour, sword thing we have been getting for years.

Excerpts from Famitsu Sagakuchi interview

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hamamura : The first scene of opening reminds me LoTR movie. Massive amounts of mobs and soldiers were fighting like that.

Sakaguchi : Exactly,That's what I have been hoping to run real-time.

Hamamura : Yes, Actually I could understand if it was only a "Movie" though,
It didn't end as usual,but start gameplay seamlessly! I really thanks to Next-Gen to make these things possible.

Sakaguchi : It works and gets along somehow. But I think we can put more efforts in visuals for release day.
I can say it's only 80% done in visual aspects.

Hamamura : (Laugh) I'm sorry, yeah I know I'm really excited at this Demo.
Well,It was SNES era and we were very pleased it's visual quality. But we were really shocked at seeing FF7's pre-rendered CGIs
Cuz it showed us that we can play games in such a quality.

Sakaguchi : I can agree that.In LO we use almost same character model, texture's resolutions and artworks are almost same as well.
(I know they are different and) we can put lots of times in making "Movie" carefully, camera-works etc.
but we can make "real-times" looks almost same as "Movies", I think it's similar to Films.
We can check these 30 frames running and render them beautifully in real-time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading all this, watching the old videos...LO has went to very top of my most wanted next gen list. It's right up there with MGS4 and Earth Defense Force X. TGS can't come soon enough.

meltpotato said:
great now youre ruining the thread for all of us!

im just being honest. im an xbox fan as well as a sony fan but everyone has thier quirks like me. i love graphics on games even if i dont like the games themselves.

chespace said:
Totally different styles, both games look very next-gen.

In-game graphics in LO look shockingly close to CG. when the movie transitioned into gameplay, the seamlessness with which it happened literally shot chills down my spine. I was like, WTF....

:O You should have worked for Mistwalker instead of MS and the Forza team. :p Just messing, but thanks for the impressions.

Nameless

Lost Odyessey and Blue Dragon are to BIIG reasons why I bought a 360, as for my money lord Sakaguchi is the best game designer of all time. I don't care if this sparks japanese gamers' interest in the 360, it will cause me to blow my load multiple times garunteed.

hyp

ok, now for the graphics whore question Che...

what was the framerate like? any cool motion blur effects from your observations?

Impressions, especially from trustworthy Che, make this sound amazing. Imagining watching a giant battle scene and then transitioning from cg to game-play seamlessly sounds irresistible. As a totally casual wrpg player [kotr, oblivion] I'll definitely pick this up if it's as good as promised and delivers the atmosphere described.

PanopticBlue said:
what is inuoes background? what has he done before?

vagabondcover.jpg

vagabond.jpg

new_graphic_novel1903.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's a new volume of vagabond. happened to see it at the bookstore the other day. i was surprised -- it's been like a year. this isn't directly relevant, but takehiko inoue rocks.

drohne said:
there's a new volume of vagabond. happened to see it at the bookstore the other day. i was surprised -- it's been like a year. this isn't directly relevant, but takehiko inoue rocks.

I'd say it's directly relevant.

:D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:

Yeah he went on a hiatus for a while, but now hes back

<3 inoue

Lost Odyssey is sounding really ****ing nice right about now. 2007 is going to be another crazy year for gamers, maybe the craziest.

Himuro said:
2006 > 2007
I highly doubt that. 2007 for the US will see Halo 3, MGS4, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Heavenly Sword along with other titles that may make 2007 like RE5, DMC4, and FFXIII plus other unannounced titles.

Systems_id said:
I highly doubt that. 2007 for the US will see Halo 3, MGS4, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Heavenly Sword along with other titles that may make 2007 like RE5, DMC4, and FFXIII plus other unannounced titles.

Not to mention Forza 2 and Crackton and GTA4 and the Half Life 2 Supra Balls Pack.

Systems_id said:

Zelda is out for the DS next year....yeah, next year is missing nothing. We just need Chrono Trigger 3 and Street Fighter 4 to magically appear.

For what it's worth I thought the old Lost Odyssey trailer music was pretty lame, basically a bunch of dramatic TV/movie soundtrack cliches incoherently strung together. I sort of like the Blue Dragon trailer music because it reminds me of late 80s space-shooter BGM

beat

Systems_id said:
There's gotta be at least a couple of major schedule slips hiding in that list.

Uncle

Synthesizer Patel said:
If this demo is available on XBL Japan but not XBL US, I'll...I'll...I'll get really upset!

I think that the only way that will happen, is that they haven't translated the demo yet. Tehy could delay the Live demo because of the Famitsu deal, but I kinda doubt that. I think they are packing the demo with Famitsu just to get more people to notice the game.

Top Bottom