• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

chespace said:
Totally different styles, both games look very next-gen.

In-game graphics in LO look shockingly close to CG. when the movie transitioned into gameplay, the seamlessness with which it happened literally shot chills down my spine. I was like, WTF....

reading that comment just had a similiar effect :D

OMG CGI SHOULDN'T BE IN NEXT GEN GAMES OMG SO OUTDATED AND STUPID

(oh, sorry, this is a LO thread, no a FF thread)

Hopefully this game will live up to it's billing

sucH impressions make me feel like i can't hardly wait for Lost Odissey.. I swear to "god" MS put this demo on the marketplace!!! (and Blue Dragon's demo too!!)

At least I hope we could see some ingame vids sooner than expected.

thank u so much for the impressions che

bye

My Arms Your Hearse said:
OMG CGI SHOULDN'T BE IN NEXT GEN GAMES OMG SO OUTDATED AND STUPID

(oh, sorry, this is a LO thread, no a FF thread)

Hopefully this game will live up to it's billing

Anger

jet1911

krypt0nian said:
Groomsman.jpg

Exactly. :D

Core407

Banned
chespace said:
Bah, those scans don't show any of the cool bits I'm referring to (in fact, some of those encounters look like creatures I haven't even seen yet).

Anyway, you guys are in for a treat, to be sure.

Yeah, I edited it with the full resolution pictures.

Shouta

Sir Speedy said:
Infamous stealth trolls are marked with red names right?

No, not really. I've found that quite a few games that have demos (that aren't at tradeshows) have come out with final products that are less than stellar or outright suck IMO. FF8 and FF12 are the first two that come to my mind. Makes me wary of these two titles despite positive impressions because of that curse.

kevm3

The last pic looks awesome. Its refreshing to see a style of characters that's not in the typical anime fashion. The background looks really good.

hyp

chespace said:
I played the TGS demo yesterday after all the hoopla and let me just say that for once in his life, Tim Rogers knows what he's talking about. Anyway, I posted brief impressions in that other trolly thread.

Sakaguchi + Inoue = OMGWTFBBQGG

can't help but trust the man that made want to go out and buy chromehounds. im ready for some sakaguchi lovin' baby.

jet1911

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Thank god!

I'm at work and gamespot is blocked here so I can't read the story. Is this just for Japan or will this be for everyone? If this is Japan only, it's time for me to get a Japanese Hotmail account.

*faints*

*reads*

It doesn't say that!

:/

snatches

OMG you're right. Shit. Sorry guys. I got so damn excited I had temporary blindness. I hope it makes it's way onto XBL that would be sweet.

He added that the demo's graphics are representative of about "80 percent of the finished game's quality," and that the game uses a single graphics engine for everything. "The modeling itself is basically the same for the cinematic and real-time sequences. There isn't a lot of difference in texture resolutions or level of detail."

Ok So che.....what will it look like if the game looks 20% better :D:D:D:D:D

TGS is going to be a beast of a show. a BEAST.

It seems like this just might be the next game that will be 'accused' of killing off 360's. :lol

that would be a nightmare scenario for MS though if it sold mass 360's in japan? they still have huge amounts of launch units on the store shelves.*

*or in a corner of their basements, wherever 360s are stored now there.

Sweet! Che impressions! Okay, so now that there's confirmation of prerendered footage used in the game, I'm wondering how comprehensively its used in game... Is it like FFVII and onward, where it's everywhere and we can expect LO to be a 2-4 DVD release? Just curious since there is video figuring into all of this.

MightyHedgehog said:
Sweet! Che impressions! Okay, so now that there's confirmation of prerendered footage used in the game, I'm wondering how comprehensively its used in game... Is it like FFVII and onward, where it's everywhere and we can expect LO to be a 2-4 DVD release? Just curious since there is video figuring into all of this.

If you can decipher this, I don't know there's much CGI at all:

"Hamamura : (Laugh) I'm sorry, yeah I know I'm really excited at this Demo.
Well,It was SNES era and we were very pleased it's visual quality. But we were really shocked at seeing FF7's pre-rendered CGIs
Cuz it showed us that we can play games in such a quality.

Sakaguchi : I can agree that.In LO we use almost same character model, texture's resolutions and artworks are almost same as well.
(I know they are different and) we can put lots of times in making "Movie" carefully, camera-works etc.
but we can make "real-times" looks almost same as "Movies", I think it's similar to Films.
We can check these 30 frames running and render them beautifully in real-time."

Thanks for all of the impressions, Che! Whenever you get a free second (if that's even possible today), how's the music of both games? Is Uematsu still hot stuff?

BenjaminBirdie said:
If you can decipher this, I don't know there's much CGI at all:

"Hamamura : (Laugh) I'm sorry, yeah I know I'm really excited at this Demo.
Well,It was SNES era and we were very pleased it's visual quality. But we were really shocked at seeing FF7's pre-rendered CGIs
Cuz it showed us that we can play games in such a quality.

Sakaguchi : I can agree that.In LO we use almost same character model, texture's resolutions and artworks are almost same as well.
(I know they are different and) we can put lots of times in making "Movie" carefully, camera-works etc.
but we can make "real-times" looks almost same as "Movies", I think it's similar to Films.
We can check these 30 frames running and render them beautifully in real-time."
Yeah, I read that earlier, but it didn't give me much indication outside of his statement that they could emulate movies with the real-time content...which is true. I figure the game will use a lot of compositing of video and realtime for specific scenes. I just wondered how much they were crutching on video. I could guess not excessively so.

BuddyC

aerofx said:
-_- I want this demo so bad. I have my jap account ready. They better put it on XBL.
FYI: Jap is a racist slur. Please either spell out "japanese" or use the JP abbreviation.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Here are my original impressions from the retarded manabyte thread:

So I checked out the first 15 action-packed minutes of the nearly hour long Lost Odyssey TGS demo yesterday and I was completely blindsided by how f'ing awesome this game looks and feels (in the emotion stirring sense).

I don't know if this game is going to "steal TGS" or sell a million Xbox 360s in Japan, but goddamn it is an impressive piece of work that will turn a lot of heads. Takehiko Inoue's art direction has taken on a maturity that goes even beyond his work in Vagabond, and seeing it in motion in both the CG and real-time graphics makes me think that his future isn't in manga but rather in 3D and games.

But what really got to me beyond the FF-style combat vs. like 1000 enemies and seamless integration of real-time and CG graphics is the way Lost Odyssey conveys a sense a mystery around its main character (who apparently is immortal). I walked away from the demo immediately wanting to know more about the game's scenario -- hero, villains, f'ed up world, everything.

I haven't played a J-RPG and haven't wanted to play one since... shit, I can't even remember, and now I suddenly can't wait for Mistwalker to finish the damn game. :p

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MightyHedgehog said:
Just outta curiousity, Che...what was the last JRPG you played through?

Can't remember...all the way through to the end?

If we're not counting tactical games (FFTA, BOF, Disgaea)... I think the last one I finished was Grandia II.

:O

In the interim, I have tried a bunch but could never really bring myself to push all the way through (e.g., FFX and FFX-2, Dark Cloud 2, DQ8).

Cool, cool. So, is it safe to say that LO has the highest chance of being the first non-strat-based JRPG you'd sit through since Grandia II? Based on your brief experience with the TGS demo, that is... Or is it BD? Heh, just picking your brain for a more specific opinion on what you've played of it so far...

chespace said:
Can't remember...all the way through to the end?

If we're not counting tactical games (FFTA, BOF, Disgaea)... I think the last one I finished was Grandia II.

:O

In the interim, I have tried a bunch but could never really bring myself to push all the way through (e.g., FFX and FFX-2, Dark Cloud 2, DQ8).

so che...you have some knowledge that Sagakuchi got some visual talent from the FF team to work on LO. Tell me. from the images and videos you have seen of FFXIII, how would you compare those to LO.

Top Bottom