• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox360) blowout in Famitsu (Demo Impressions Pg 6 / Post 278)

Duderz

Banned
52441320060714_061728_3_big.jpg

52441320060714_061727_2_big.jpg

52441320060714_061727_1_big.jpg

52441320060714_061726_0_big.jpg

product2_1b.jpg

product2_2b.jpg

Trusty Bell.

Looks like Radiata Stories on steroids, which is fine by me. :D

Nice! I was beginning to think that old 'logo' was final given how long it was used. Very Toriyama, though I'm not a huge fan of his work outside of CT, DQ, and what's been shown of BD.

kruskev

duckroll said:
According to Sakaguchi, not only is that fight not CG, but that's how the playable demo opens, and just as you think it's a CG fight sequence, you realize it's a menu driven fight and the battle looks exactly like that.

Now he might be exaggerating, but if he's not, we'll know next week. Sakaguchi apparently wants Lost Odyssey to invoke the same "OMG WHAT THE **** THIS IS REALTIME?!" feeling that the FFVII demo first did on the PS1.

/hype

So does that mean the battle at least look action oriented like FFXIII or will it still be turn based? (e.g hit, wait, cast spell, wait, summon...etc.)

Orodreth

duckroll said:
According to Sakaguchi, not only is that fight not CG, but that's how the playable demo opens, and just as you think it's a CG fight sequence, you realize it's a menu driven fight and the battle looks exactly like that.

Now he might be exaggerating, but if he's not, we'll know next week. Sakaguchi apparently wants Lost Odyssey to invoke the same "OMG WHAT THE **** THIS IS REALTIME?!" feeling that the FFVII demo first did on the PS1.

/hype

I said WOW

duckroll

I'm sure this has been repeated several times, but it should be noted that the novelist Kiyoshi Shigematsu is NOT the scenario writer for Lost Odyssey.

The main scenario writer is Sakaguchi himself, and that covers all the ongoing events of the game in the present timeline, including the backstory on the Magic Industrial Revolution as well as the reason why Kaim is immortal and cannot die.

Sakaguchi then came up with the idea known as "A Dream of a Thousand Years" which is basically a series of short-story scenarios that cover the course of Kaim's life as an immortal. These scenarios are all written by Shigematsu and will take place in the game as sidestories/quests that occur as either dreams that Kaim experiences or flashbacks in his memory. These events will cover Kaim's relations with the various friends and lovers he has encountered over the millenia, and will be filled with bittersweet and tragic elements. I believe this set of scenarios will also be compiled as a novel to be released after the game is out.

duckroll said:
I'm sure this has been repeated several times, but it should be noted that the novelist Kiyoshi Shigematsu is NOT the scenario writer for Lost Odyssey.

The main scenario writer is Sakaguchi himself, and that covers all the ongoing events of the game in the present timeline, including the backstory on the Magic Industrial Revolution as well as the reason why Kaim is immortal and cannot die.

Sakaguchi then came up with the idea known as "A Dream of a Thousand Years" which is basically a series of short-story scenarios that cover the course of Kaim's life as an immortal. These scenarios are all written by Shigematsu and will take place in the game as sidestories/quests that occur as either dreams that Kaim experiences or flashbacks in his memory. These events will cover Kaim's relations with the various friends and lovers he has encountered over the millenia, and will be filled with bittersweet and tragic elements. I believe this set of scenarios will also be compiled as a novel to be released after the game is out.

God damn. What the hell, Lost Odyssey. Chill out with the non-stop awesomeness. Is there going to be a Criterion Collection version of this game?

duk

Banned
i really hope this game does well and sells some units in japan, the japanese gamers are missing out on some good games on the 360

LuCkymoON

Banned
Tisan said:
So I check the right sleeve, and all I can see is colour bleed, where a brush went over the line.
CryOn.jpg

Where are these fabled polygons?

Look below your highlight circle to see the polygon edges

duckroll

Time to continue the ride on the hype train. I don't see it translated or mentioned anywhere else so here's a rundown on what the playable demo will contain. This is all from Famitsu's little descriptions under all the demo screenshots around the interview.

The demo begins with the epic battle scene seen in the previous trailers. The battlefield is flooded by soldiers and machines, with Kaim fighting them off alone. The game seamlessly goes from the opening movie into a battle scene with menu commands appearing. Aside from normal attacks, Kaim will also be able to use magic. After defeating the soldiers on the mountain, Kaim faces off against a huge mechanical tank. This serve as a sort of mid-boss battle.

When Kaim defeats the tank, a cutscene shows the entire army being wiped out by a huge meteor. Kaim is horrified that someone would use such devestating magic, but he survives because he is immortal. The next half of the demo involves Kaim making his way to the industrial city of Ura. Once there Kaim is able to explore the city and talk to NPCs. When you eventually enter the train in the city to progress, a cutscene plays and the demo ends, showing a text message written by Shigematsu.

The demo is expected to take players about 40 mins to an hour to complete and Sakaguchi doesn't expect anyone at TGS to actually be able to experience all of it from the booth. The screenshot featuring Kaim's party facing monsters in a battle is from the final game, and not part of the demo.

duckroll

sangreal said:
the cry on stuff is 3d cg, they talked about it when it was announced

Considering Cry On is so "early" in development that Sakaguchi doesn't even have a date for it (not even a year), it's silly to think the game even has a running engine yet. Those shots were just 3D CG celshaded scenes done to convey what the game might look like.

Sallokin

duckroll said:
Considering Cry On is so "early" in development that Sakaguchi doesn't even have a date for it (not even a year), it's silly to think the game even has a running engine yet. Those shots were just 3D CG celshaded scenes done to convey what the game might look like.

So after BD and LO launch what's the next Mistwalker title we can expect? ASH? I'm actually pretty excited to learn more about Cry On, but if their track record with BD is any indication we won't be learning anthing significant about it until it's quite late in development.

Sallokin said:
So after BD and LO launch what's the next Mistwalker title we can expect? ASH? I'm actually pretty excited to learn more about Cry On, but if their track record with BD is any indication we won't be learning anthing significant about it until it's quite late in development.

well on the flip, we pretty much know more abut LO than BD and that doesnt come out for quite a while. But I'm guessing Cry-On won't really be "blown out" until this time next year.

duckroll

Sallokin said:

Blue Dragon is slated for December now, Lost Odyssey will probably be as early in 2007 as they can manage, since MS definitely doesn't seem to be rushing them (good!). ASH is played for the first half of 2007, so we should see something about that by year end. Cry On when announced in Dec last year was "at least one and a half to two years from completion" so I don't expect any information until next TGS to be honest.

There are other projects Mistwalker is involved with but Sakaguchi is tightly lipped as usual! :D

duckroll

From Gamespot's coverage of the MS Conference:

Next, Mistwalker's Hironobu Sakaguchi takes the stage with an update on Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, Microsoft's two flagship RPGs for the 360. Blue Dragon will be out on December 7 in Japan, and Sakaguchi is now starting up the Lost Odyssey demo, marking the first time gameplay from this anticipated title has been shown.

A CG cinematic shows scenes of a massive battle full of armored, sword-wielding knights and bizarre, mechanical engines of war. All hope seems lost, but a single warrior rises from the battlefield to take on hordes of enemies all by his lonesome.

After some flashy sword moves, the cutscene segues quite smoothly into a real-time, playable version of the battle that looks strikingly similar. Sakaguchi is able to issue RPG-style commands to this warrior to make him fight lesser enemies and a gigantic, flame-spewing tank singlehandedly.

After dispatching the machine, the player character is surrounded by enemy soldiers. But then the sky opens up and spews molten rock and ash across the battlefield, obliterating the opposing armies while the lone warrior is left standing. This scene gives way to an exploration phase, but Sakaguchi has now ended the demo. Think of Lost Odyssey as Dynasty Warriors meets Final Fantasy with a little of The Matrix thrown in.

HYYPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

36WiiS3

I found this posted @ http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3851&Itemid=2

Anyway here's the article it sound interesting,but if the bundle costs the same with Blue Dragon thrown in as it does now without it why would anyone buy it now?

Microsoft’s Japanese Blue Dragon pack-in has received little press attention. Yet it’s a smart and bold hardware move, right up there with the U.S. Wii bundle. Next-Gen applauds Microsoft’s strategy in targeting a particularly valuable audience…

Image Yesterday at a press conference in the Shibuya Cerulean Tower Hotel, Microsoft Japan's Home and Entertainment boss Takashi Sensui announced rather nonchalantly that Blue Dragon, the one game that's being hopefully eyed as the ice-breaker that will finally begin selling the Xbox 360 to the Japanese mass market, will be packaged in with the system starting on the very day the game is released: December 7th, 2006.

Moreover, the price of the console will only be 29,800 yen -- the same price as the Core System package that's being released on November 2nd. The Core System, for those who came in late, features the Xbox 360 console, one wireless controller, one play-and-charge kit for the controller, and two games: Ninety-Nine Nights and Project Gotham Racing 3. Neither of those games sold as well in Japan as they deserved to, because the system was simply not installed in enough homes.

The Blue Dragon bundle will also contain Ninety-Nine Nights and Project Gotham Racing 3. It's a bit puzzling -- why release a "Core" pack with two lesser games, when just a month later, a Core pack with THREE games, including the one game everyone wants, will be on sale for the same price? Perhaps the November 2nd release is set to capitalize on gamers looking to buy the absolutely idiotic-looking Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, or the drop-dead awesome Lost Planet, both being released on November 22nd.

Also, Dead Rising and Project Sylpheed, big, hard-hitting games by Capcom and Square-Enix, two developers who command legions of fans, will be released next week, on September 28th. No doubt their existence will have a few lingering fans curious about the system, as well.

Blue Dragon

Adding Blue Dragon on top of all of this is a bold stroke. Microsoft is in a do-or-die situation in Japan. Its hardware is selling poorly, yet it continues to carve out great games from the Japanese development and publishing community. This move plays to its strengths. No doubt it's an expensive gambit, but one that is extremely powerful.

The game cuts a hell of a trailer, has a fantastic visual presentation, stars menu-based combat similar to the Japanese RPGs of years gone by, and features battle music by original Final Fantasy series composer Nobuo Uematsu, battle music with screaming guitar solos (no more synthesized guitars), pounding drums, and (during boss fights) wailing heavy metal vocals.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, long-time veteran of videogame development, showed the game off, himself a symbol of Microsoft's self-confidence in attracting talent to its cause.

For the plan to work, gamers who buy the bundle must also buy more games. Lost Odyssey is evidence that this is possible. Called by Hironobu Sakaguchi himself "the real new Final Fantasy," crafted gorgeously with the Unreal Engine, for all it represents, it might just be the Japanese videogame of the decade.

Lost Odyssey

The audience at yesterday’s press briefing was quietly awed at Lost Odyssey's seamless presentation. They murmured approval when it was revealed that the one-hour-long demo of the game would be packaged in with every issue of Famitsu, Japan's largest, weekly videogame magazine, on sale October 20th.

All of these big games -- Dead Rising, Sylpheed, Lost Planet Blue Dragon-- are games that Japanese gamers would feel comfortable playing without even connecting to the internet. This is why a demo disc of Lost Odyssey -- another mostly offline game -- is feasible, and even more effective than a downloadable demo. The RPGers of long ago were -- and still are -- very "thing"-minded people. Microsoft is appealing to them. And it has indeed been a very long time since anyone released a demo disc with a vengeance in this country.

Long ago, there were Japanese -- and American -- fans so fanatical about Final Fantasy that they bought a PlayStation just to purchase Tobal #1, an obscure little fighting game by Squaresoft, so they could play the Final Fantasy VII demo that was packed in. Might those same fans, and their descendants, be prepared to purchase an Xbox 360 Core System just two weeks after the Lost Odyssey demo finds their hands?

This week's issue of Famitsu puts Blue Dragon on a pedestal. The release date is now out of the bag. People know it's coming on December 7th, 2006. That's just a little more than two months away. It's going to be packed in with the system. Thousands of gamers will already have a Lost Odyssey demo disc at the time. Buying a 360 will seem like something to do. At least, that's probably what Microsoft is hoping and wishing.

Big games coming next week (Dead Rising, Sylpheed), in November (Lost Planet), and Blue Dragon in December -- things are really shaping up for Microsoft in Japan. And if Tokyo Game Show goes well enough, Lost Odyssey's and Blue Dragon's shadow looming over everything might spell an awesome kind of surprise victory over competitors.

duckroll

Tim Rogers said:
The Blue Dragon bundle will also contain Ninety-Nine Nights and Project Gotham Racing 3. It's a bit puzzling -- why release a "Core" pack with two lesser games, when just a month later, a Core pack with THREE games, including the one game everyone wants, will be on sale for the same price?

Wow, Tim Rogers has gone from "silly exaggerative" to "totally uninformed"! :lol

I really pity the guy, he tries so hard to sound informed and intellectual but he really knows jack shit. The Blue Dragon pack is just Blue Dragon and the Core Pack. What a utter joke of an acrticle. I hope they didn't pay him for it! :lol

duckroll said:
Wow, Tim Rogers has gone from "silly exaggerative" to "totally uninformed"! :lol

I really pity the guy, he tries so hard to sound informed and intellectual but he really knows jack shit. The Blue Dragon pack is just Blue Dragon and the Core Pack. What a utter joke of an acrticle. I hope they didn't pay him for it! :lol

seems to get him some free stuff though...still I suppose its not much compensation for certain limitations

peace

duckroll

reriel said:
a new sakaguchi interview, but it's in korean...
http://www.gameshot.net/common/con_view.php?code=GA4513974204e32#top

someone can traslate ?

The only new info there is that the English voices for Lost Odyssey are already done, he also confirms a video will be up on Live in the middle of X06, and the full demo will be only on DVD in Japan in November. There probably won't be a demo outside of Japan until next year. Oh and Blue Dragon will be about 40 hours long, but can be as long as 60 over hours if you want to collect everything.

Luckily the language is simple, so google doesn't have a tough time translating it! :lol

duckroll said:
The only new info there is that the English voices for Lost Odyssey are already done, he also confirms a video will be up on Live in the middle of X06, and the full demo will be only on DVD in Japan in November. There probably won't be a demo outside of Japan until next year. Oh and Blue Dragon will be about 40 hours long, but can be as long as 60 over hours if you want to collect everything.

Luckily the language is simple, so google doesn't have a tough time translating it! :lol

...thats pretty cool!

Top Bottom