• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttF? (in Progress): Resident Evil 6 & Operation Raccoon City

tav7623

tumblr_n9fs58nqtJ1sos833o1_500.jpg

Where do I begin? There are so many places where I could start, but I guess it's best to give y'all some background info before I get into my thoughts/impressions of the games so far.

Background
Well first off I'm a long time gamer (been gaming since I was 5), a fairly new Gaffer (been on Gaf since 2012 and just this month I reached Member status, which means this my 1st official Gaf Thread!), and a long time fan of survival horror game series like Resident Evil (played 0, 1, REmake, 2, 3, CVX, 4, 5, Revelations), Silent Hill (1-3, 5&6), Dead Space (1&2), etc. Now as most of you probably already know, in recent years the Resident Evil series has been on a bit of a downward spiral (at least since 2009) with two of the last 3 RE games (ORC & 6) seeing almost universally negative reviews. Because of these negative reviews I decided to hold off on buying/playing them until they were both available for dirt cheap. Well I ended up finally getting both games (spent a combined $12 for both games) within a 3 month span and upon getting both games I had initially decided to holding off on playing/finishing them until at least October. Then I started to see a number of (fairly excellent) RE related threads here on Gaf (and other gaming forums) so I decided that due to the renewed discussion of the RE series now would be a good time to see for myself if these two bad boys are as bad (i.e.horrible) as everyone has been saying.

residentevil_operation_rc_box_ps3.jpg

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Summary:
A third-person shooter video game released in 2012 with online co-op/multiplayer that is set at the same time as Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, but it is unrelated to the main series storyline and is a "what-if" entry in the series outside of the main canon.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Impressions (so far)
I first started playing this game (Solo, no online/co-op) in mid May (played for about an hour or so) and had gotten through Chapter 2 before I stopped playing it so that I could finish up some other games I had started prior to getting this game. Over the weekend I picked the game back up, reaching the game's mid way point and will (from the looks of it) soon be starting the controversial Leon section (or at least I think it's going to be that section) in the R.P.D. building. Coming back to the game after taking a long break was a little bit rough as I had forgotten about the weird controls which led to me wasting a number of grenades/health items and because of it I also started to realize that the game had some poor design quirks that I had failed to pick up on when I had first started playing it. The last two chapters I played through (3 & 4) were imo not as good (or as interesting) as the first two chapters.

The Good
- So far it has had an interesting alternate take/perspective on certain events from previous games in the series like
taking the G-Virus sample from Birkin (the event that set RE 2 into motion) and having to fight your way through the labs as a mutated Birkin was trying to chase you down.
- Graphically it looks pretty good (so far) and has some atmospheric sections.

The Bad
- The game so far has had a number of poor gameplay design decisions/quirks such as no inventory system, imposing a 2 gun limit (you are only allowed to carry two guns), losing a gun you picked up in a level when you die (I lost a full loaded heavy duty machine gun (think along the line of Blaine's gun from Predator) upon dying in the middle of the
Nemesis fight
)
- Most of the game's enemies (so far) were (imo) not done all that well as they had been done better in previous games with the most egregious offender so far being the Crimson Heads which mostly looked like zombies dressing badly done Red Skull cosplay outfits (also there are a ton of them & they aren't as scary/challenging as they seem to go down pretty easy) and the two new enemies (so far) that were introduced in this game (Parasites & Parasite Zombies) while interesting looking proved to be more of a pain in the butt especially since you
get swarmed by a bunch of them while trying to get three keycards so you can escape from the recently activated Tyrant which is chasing you & your team through out the lab

The Ugly
- The game has (imo) a weird controller setup/button scheme (you cycle through weapons by using the L2 button instead of the D-pad,which is used for selecting grenades, health, anti-viral spray).
- There were sections which could be breezed through by simply ignoring enemies that are trying to swarm you & your teammates by continually running to/from objectives. Also the game seems to be a bit short as I've completed 4 out of 8 (?) chapters in less than 3 hours playing.
- The game imo missed some big opportunities to include some really awesome boss fights/sections from RE2/RE3 like
you explore a part of the Cemetery from RE3 where you fought the giant worm and in this game there is no giant worm, all you get is a onslaught of US Spec Ops & Zombies

big_ownupload_1329348447.jpg

Resident Evil 6 Synopsis:
A third-person shooter video game released in 2012 and ninth installment in the Resident Evil series. The story is told from the perspectives of Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Jake Muller & Sherry Birkin, and Ada Wong.

Resident Evil 6 Impressions (So Far)

I got this game over the weekend and upon completing the intro sequence/prologue (which I kinda of liked it) I decided to start with Jake's campaign (the plan was/is to go Jake-Chris-Leon-Ada as I heard that was the preferred set up, though that might change cause I saw that there is an upcoming RE6/RE.net event where you can unlock a in game EX costume if you meet certain criteria while playing through the Leon/Ada campaigns) first mainly because he's a new playable character who also happens to be
the son of series baddy Wesker which kinda had me going wtf? as there was no mention (that I'm aware of) in any of the previous games of Wesker even having a family/kids

The Good

- Graphically looks pretty good and early on there were some really atmospheric/creepy designed sections.
- Liking some of the nods to previous games in the series that I've picked up on
- The Controls for the most part seem to be solid.
- The prologue/intro had a few good action set pieces

The Bad
- Too many QTE's, good lord there are a ton of them
- The Checkpoint/Saving system is imo horribly implemented, if you quit in the middle of a chapter and comeback to finish it you will not start where you left off (or from the last checkpoint) unless where you left off was after (as far as I can tell) a big/major "story" cinematic.
- As far as I can tell there are no in game "files" to help "flesh out" the story like in previous RE games, but there are hidden in game "medals" which will "unlock" additional story bits/files in the main menu or via residentevil.net (which are the only places as far as I can tell where they can be viewed)
- Inclusion of a stamina bar......seriously wtf?, why is there a stamina bar? this game isn't Dark Souls.
- The partner AI, while better than 5 is still not that good and it makes me wish there was a way to zap/swap between partners on the fly (.....like in RE Zero)

The Ugly
- Vehicle sequences......holy sh!t the ones I've driven are atrocious (not to mention they seem to have bad collision detection), GTA IV/Road Rash had better vehicle handling than this game, especially when it comes to motorcycles which feel like tanks and are not very maneuverable.
- The inventory system, not a big fan of this game's new inventory system and it makes me wish that they had used the inventory system from Revelations instead.
- Jake chapters 2 & 4 (so far), just wow, they are horrible, there are sections in Ch. 2 that have almost zero visibility and if you get shot/knocked down while going up hill (it will happen a lot) you can't get back up until you've slid almost all the way to the bottom.

Gaz_RB

RE6 is an amazing game. I hope Jake is in the next one.

Operation Raccoon City is pretty horrible, though. Bullet sponges galore.

Once you get the hang of RE6's unique mechanics, you keep playing mercenaries. Because even a fun melee system doesn't save the campaign.

ORC I haven't played yet, but someday...

re6 campaign mode sucks, but mercenaries on the other hand is amazing. Second best tps system after vanquish.
My advice to the op, just play mercs

Nice first thread, my friend. I haven't played Operation Raccoon City but if you dig it at all, in Dusk Golem's LTTP thread he mentions that the DLC is much better than the full game, so I would get that if you're curious about it.

Oh boy, where to begin with Resident Evil 6. For starters, it's easily the worst game in the franchise that I've played. i've actually talked a lot recently about why I don't like it (and why I think 5 in particular is much better) so I'm just gonna quote myself on what I think about it:
I played through both 5&6 with the same friend. In 5 we constantly had to communicate, trade weapons, discuss tactics, etc. In 6 we pretty much just ran around doing our own thing countering enemies and shooting shit.

I very much disagree about the encounter design being good. And there are just so many terribly designed sections (every vehicle section, the terrible 'climb the skyscraper by alternating r1 r2 while being chased', that snowy hill you slide down if you get hit in one of jake's sections, all the re-used sections like that terrible one where you run around blowing up AA guns while giant trolls walk around, etc.)

And I thought that the level design was not good either, partly because the combat mechanics don't really require a lot of spatial positioning/navigating because it's so heavily based on getting in close to enemies and doing melee/counters. They often just throw you in a big open area and you just sort of rush enemies and the structures and layout of the levels don't matter much at all. In 5 because you couldn't move and shoot at the same time you had to really place yourself well, and it was easy to get overwhelmed (because you also can't counter) so you have to constantly find new vantage/choke points in the levels.

One of my biggest gripes with 6 though, is that ultimately it lacks an identity of its own. The old Resident Evil's have their own distinct style with their inventories, type writers, music, camera angles etc. Even 4&5 have a totally unique style. But with 6 they keep taking away elements that are identifiably 'Resident Evil' and instead simply take aspects of other games. While I was playing I was always thinking to myself 'oh, now it's doing Uncharted, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, or Vanquish". Those are all games I strongly felt the influence of well playing the game, and it ended up resulting in an incredibly soulless experience for me, as the game couldn't decide what it wanted to be--or was too afraid--so it just grabbed things from the most popular games out there.

RE5 was ultimately 'RE4 but not as good'. But that was still a really strong framework to grab from, so ultimately it was the more polished, well thought out, and more fun game. I personally think it's leaps and bounds better than 6, and the gameplay works better for co-op and level design as well. There were a ton of great co-op moments in 5, like the licker chamber where you have to split up and one character has to cover the other and defend themselves, was incredibly intense and well designed.

Sectus

I highly suggest you try out mercenaries mode in RE6. It's more fun than the campaign, and it's also a good way to learn the mechanics.

tav7623

re6 campaign mode sucks, but mercenaries on the other hand is amazing. Second best tps system after vanquish.
My advice to the op, just play mercs

I've haven't really played a whole lot of this mode in the previous RE games, but I'll definitely check it out.

Elija2

I am also currently playing through RE6 and I've actually been enjoying it. I knew going in to expect an action game and what I got was a pretty fun one.

I wish the online community on PC wasn't already dead though. It's impossible to get an online game going.

Also yeah, definitely read Neiteio's thread about RE6's mechanics because the game really doesn't teach you any of this stuff. I can imagine getting really frustrated if I didn't know some of these mechanics.

RE6 combat mechanics are awesome, when you actually learn how they work. The game doesn't teach you much though.

It really doesn't. It also has the distinction of having the worst tutorial I've ever played before. It's unskippable the first time, if you're playing local co-op with a friend they have to sit through the whole thing watching you play it, you have to go through the same section again later in the game but it's weirdly slightly different, and most importantly IT DOESN'T EVEN TEACH YOU HOW TO PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY. It had one job, and it failed at it. If you're going to make me play through your shitty ass tutorial, you better fucking teach me how to play the game. Instead you have to look on forums for people to tell you all the useful tricks that the game doesn't bother explaining.

tav7623

Nice first thread, my friend. I haven't played Operation Raccoon City but if you dig it at all, in Dusk Golem's LTTP thread he mentions that the DLC is much better than the full game, so I would get that if you're curious about it.

Oh boy, where to begin with Resident Evil 6. For starters, it's easily the worst game in the franchise that I've played. i've actually talked a lot recently about why I don't like it (and why I think 5 in particular is much better) so I'm just gonna quote myself on what I think about it:

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check that out, yeah I've been hearing that about this game which is kinda why I wanted to finally play it and there were a few things in the first post you quoted that I pretty much feel the same way about ( the vehicle sections...so far, the sliding down hill thing) and one that I don't think I have yet encountered (the R1/R2 climbing bit) that sounds an awful lot like a mechanic found in the modern Ninja Gaiden games.

PBalfredo

I just recently went through RE6 for the first time in a co-op campaign with a friend. The dodge and roll mechanics are a fantastic addition, it adds a lot of mobility to the game. I love modern Resident Evil because it fills a special niche with its mixture of precision gunplay and melee combat. RE6 seems to want to expand this niche, which I respect, but it ends up over complicating things. Just throwing out basic melee attacks are weak and useless compared to the opportunity melee attacks of RE4 and RE5 which you open up by shooting specific parts of the enemy. The opportunity attacks are still in RE6, but if you're not careful about hitting the melee button only on the correct prompts you can accidentally waste time and stamina throwing out weak attacks instead. Melee attacks also seem to be worse at crowd control compared to previous games.

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check that out, yeah I've been hearing that about this game which is kinda why I wanted to finally play it and there were a few things in the first post you quoted that I pretty much feel the same way about ( the vehicle sections...so far, the sliding down hill thing) and one that I don't think I have yet encountered (the R1/R2 climbing bit) that sounds an awful lot like a mechanic found in the modern Ninja Gaiden games.

I'm sorry for spoiling it, but the climbing bit is one of the worst pieces of game design I've ever had the misfortune of playing. At least you're getting rid of Jake's campaign first though, in my opinion his was definitely the worst overall.

tav7623

I'm sorry for spoiling it, but the climbing bit is one of the worst pieces of game design I've ever had the misfortune of playing. At least you're getting rid of Jake's campaign first though, in my opinion his was definitely the worst overall.

It's okay, I'm kinda glad as it gives me something to be on the look out for and it may help me get through that section (when it pops up) without dying (a whole lot) especially if it's anything like the modern Ninja Gaiden climbing mechanic which I recently familiarized myself with while playing NG 3: Razor's Edge. Really, I had heard that the Chris's campaign was the worst, Jake's was decent, Ada's was a little bit better than Jake's, and that Leon's was the best.

tav7623

It really doesn't. It also has the distinction of having the worst tutorial I've ever played before. It's unskippable the first time, if you're playing local co-op with a friend they have to sit through the whole thing watching you play it, you have to go through the same section again later in the game but it's weirdly slightly different, and most importantly IT DOESN'T EVEN TEACH YOU HOW TO PLAY THE GAME PROPERLY. It had one job, and it failed at it. If you're going to make me play through your shitty ass tutorial, you better fucking teach me how to play the game. Instead you have to look on forums for people to tell you all the useful tricks that the game doesn't bother explaining.

I don't really have to worry about the co-op thing as I'm playing these games solo, but I will say that yeah I'm slowing coming to realize that 6 doesn't really teach you a lot in the way of game mechanics and that it seems to wait to spring it on you while you are being chased (the sliding mechanic) or are in the middle of an action sequence/combat.

It's okay, I'm kinda glad as it gives me something to be on the look out for and it may help me get through that section (when it pops up) without dying (a whole lot) especially if it's anything like the modern Ninja Gaiden climbing mechanic which I recently familiarized myself with while playing NG 3: Razor's Edge. Really, I had heard that the Chris's campaign was the worst, Jake's was decent, Ada's was a little bit better than Jake's, and that Leon's was the best.

Jake's is the most QTE gimmick heavy, as well as the section that borrows the most influence from other AAA action games. It feels like the least well thought out, and it has the worst pair of characters of the lot (although Leon's partner is fucking garbage).

I would say Leon's is definitely the best, as it has some semblance of atmosphere, and some decent moments sprinkled in. Then Chris's is the 2nd 'not worst'. It has the most shooting in it, and some really obnoxious parts (yay more vehicles!), but his story cliches were the funniest, and I liked that Capcom tried to make his storyline super hollywood macho, but inadvertently made the most homoerotic storyline in AAA gaming. So it does break some ground on that front.

And I didn't even bother with Ada's campaign because you can't play it co-op so fuck that shit.

I don't really have to worry about the co-op thing as I'm playing these games solo, but I will say that yeah I'm slowing coming to realize that 6 doesn't really teach you a lot in the way of game mechanics and that it seems to wait to spring it on you while you are being chased (the sliding mechanic) or are in the middle of an action sequence/combat.

The first thing you should figure out how to do is the move that stops you from getting knocked to the ground from bullets. A few straight shots to you will lock you into a lengthy animation where you get stunned to the ground for a few seconds. I didn't know you could prevent this until after I beat the game, and it was the most frustrating thing imaginable.

I played RE6 (only Leons story though) and it seems to be a good game overall, sure its not horror but it tried to go back to its theme somehow. It felt less RAMBO then RE5. I enjoyed myself playing it CO-OP.

Operation Raccoon city......fuck that game.

tav7623

I am also currently playing through RE6 and I've actually been enjoying it. I knew going in to expect an action game and what I got was a pretty fun one.

I wish the online community on PC wasn't already dead though. It's impossible to get an online game going.

Also yeah, definitely read Neiteio's thread about RE6's mechanics because the game really doesn't teach you any of this stuff. I can imagine getting really frustrated if I didn't know some of these mechanics.

Thanks for sharing the link to this thread !!, I just started reading through it and man there were a few things that I didn't even realize you could do (like automatically making health pills when they are empty by hitting R2 & Square or RT & X on the 360 and being able to duck attacks) that I think will definitely make playing the game easier.

Anung

Un Rama
Resident Evil 6 is nowhere near as terrible as anybody says. The third person combat mechanics are some of the best from last gen and its almost a shame they didn't have a better IP to be apart of. Each campaign has its moments but overall it suffers from the bloat of having 600 hands pulling it in different directions. With a lot of editing they could have had a really focused campaign. Music is fantastic as well. The only thing I hate about it is that you can be staggered which is annoying.

I'd rather drink cat piss than play/endure Raccoon city again.

I highly suggest you try out mercenaries mode in RE6. It's more fun than the campaign, and it's also a good way to learn the mechanics.

FluffyQuack? You're on Gaf? I preferred RE5's mercenaries mode, especially the no mercy vids you put up. I still never got the chance to try out No Mercy yet wtf am I doing?

Mohasus

The Bad
- Too many QTE's, good lord there are a ton of them

- The Checkpoint/Saving system is imo horribly implemented, if you quit in the middle of a chapter and comeback to finish it you will not start where you left off (or from the last checkpoint) unless where you left off was after (as far as I can tell) a big/major "story" cinematic.

- Inclusion of a stamina bar......seriously wtf?, why is there a stamina bar? this game isn't Dark Souls.

There is an option that helps with most QTEs, however, it doesn't appear in game, only in the main menu.

Chapters are divided in smaller segments (for example, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5). Each segments has its checkpoints, but you can only start/load from the beginning of a segment.

Melee attacks use stamina. Learn to use them, they make the game more fun and you save bullets.

I started the game using a 360 controller, but then changed to KB+M because it is way better to have a single key for each thing. Z = roll left, X = jump backwards, C = roll right, 3 = roll forward, H = fast combine (doesn't need to be empty). So by the time I read the Neiteio's guide, I knew most of the stuff there -I still don't know how to make my partner focus a sniper, but I didn't need it-.

Sectus

FluffyQuack? You're on Gaf? I preferred RE5's mercenaries mode, especially the no mercy vids you put up. I still never got the chance to try out No Mercy yet wtf am I doing?

Yup, that's me. You could always go back to RE5 and try it. Or wait a bit as it's rumoured Capcom are working on a Steamworks version.

tav7623

There is an option that helps with most QTEs, however, it doesn't appear in game, only in the main menu.

Chapters are divided in smaller segments (for example, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5). Each segments has its checkpoints, but you can only start/load from the beginning of a segment.

Melee attacks use stamina. Learn to use them, they make the game more fun and you save bullets.

I started the game using a 360 controller, but then changed to KB+M because it is way better to have a single key for each thing. Z = roll left, X = jump backwards, C = roll right, 3 = roll forward, H = fast combine (doesn't need to be empty). So by the time I read the Neiteio's guide, I knew most of the stuff there -I still don't know how to make my partner focus a sniper, but I didn't need it-.

I didn't know about most of that when I made the post nor had I read Neiteio's guide ( went in mostly cold as the only things that I knew about RE 6 was that it got a lot of hate, that
Jake is Wesker's son
, that supposedly the best order was Chris-Jake-Ada-Leon, that zombies make something of a return in the game, that Conan had a funny Clueless Gamer review for the game, and that Leon's campaign is considered the best one in the game) so hopefully the things that I found frustrating will become a little less frustrating now that I know about them. As for the segment thing, I thought that might have been the case, but there were a few instances where I thought I had cleared a chapter segment and quit the game only to comeback to find that I hadn't, which meant that I had to start a decent sized chunk of the game that I had already played through all over again.

Elija2

Yeah, I also get kinda confused about how a chapter is broken up and where the game saves. When it's just the word "Checkpoint" that comes up on the screen then you'll return there after you die but not if you quit the game. If the word "Saving" comes up then that means you can safely quit the game and return to that spot. Still, I usually just end up playing through entire chapters at once.

Yeah, the terrible tutorial is really inexcusable. It's so disappointing that they actually push the boundaries as far as third person shooter design and player controls and ended up with a really awesome action system, but then completely botch the important part of teaching people how to play it.

You end up with people sitting behind cover and never learning to dodge until 20 hours in and then having a poor experience with the game. Or thinking that the prompts to melee or counter-attack are QTEs that they are failing or whatever. I think RE6 is game that needed a good tutorial more than any other game really. Mainly because at first glance it seems like a generic TPS, when it is completely it's own thing.

The game usually saves after it loads a new area. I think the word "Saving" also comes up when you continue after a game over, but that doesn't mean it's saving your position, just stats and things like that. Just be sure to quit the game after it loads a new area.

As someone going through a second run of RE6 now (the Helena-Piers-Sherry run) and a year after it's release with some of the significant fixes, I finally get some of the bigger complaints about it, as well as those who say there's a lot of good stuff in it. It's kept down from being excellent by a few things for me, particularly the lack of a thorough tutorial the first time around for every character (which reflected in most initial reviews), an awfully slow leveling system, and for Mercenaries, time increases off of enemies being reduced to melee and counter kills mostly.

But that TPS system, wow, fans weren't kidding when they praised that part. It plus the mercenaries and campaigns (which I was ok with, but agree Leon had the best) made for a great game once I got used to everything.

Unfortunately, it's definitely one of those titles that requires at least two playthroughs to appreciate what's it's going for, but it needed a better setup for the first playthrough to feel as good as the second and beyond.

And going through it now, I can't help but notice a few things that would've made for great ways to play.

Leon & Helena -
Keep most of Tall Oaks and Shanghai playthrough intact. But how about Shanghai gets a complete power outage and has to be navigated mostly with flash lights and sometimes generators.
Chris & Piers -
Same Shanghai suggestion applicable here too. There should've been more like the invisible snake, like having a Predator-esque animal consistently hunting the BSAA team throughout their campaign, picking their team off one-by-one. And less vehicle segments.
Jake & Sherry -
I'm not sure what could've improved this. Maybe some creatures that could adapt to Jake's melee, making it more challenging.

I'm probably one of the few who like this as a good game and Resident Evil game, but I understand those who don't agree with either point. 6 is a good ACTION/Horror game to me; they tried a lot with is, for better and for worse. 7 or whatever the next game is called should have a more focused vision, whatever they do with it; single-player campaign next time please Capcom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE6 will be mostly talked about here, but I want to throw a comment out there on Operation Raccoon City;

The Echo Six DLC Campaign is a shit ton better than the main game.

It's stupid. I would not recommend the core ORC game really unless you're a really die-hard fan that needs to play every game in the series, or can get it for cheap to fuck around with your friends. However, the DLC is actually a rather fun co-op campaign that manages to have MUCH better level design, MUCH better bosses (these two things are my biggest gripes with ORC, along with unsatisfactory shooting), but hell, it even looks better (much better lighting), has better music, a better story, a better finale.... And it even manages to do something RE5 and RE6 don't and feel something like a horror game in places. And then they add in new items not in the main game, new gameplay mechanics, actually inspired levels and gameplay segments... I would actually recommend the DLC, though the DLC is harder than the main game is one thing, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you got ORC off Steam for 75% off for the Complete Pack or something.

It's literally dumb that you need the core game to play the Echo Six Expansion, I have no idea what happened between the core game and the DLC, but the DLC is literally by far the best part of the game, and the DLC campaign is even just as long as the main game anyway.

I just played through ORC in June all the way through with a few friends, the main game was very ehhh, had some fun with a few returning locations but the rest of it was dumb fun, the stages were badly designed, the bosses were dull, shooting felt unsatisfactory, we spent most of the regular campaign just beating each other up. But the DLC was actually a lot of fun and I have no idea why it's so much better than the main game, and in such a weird position that most people will never actually experience it. We stopped messing around to give us some fun and actually got more invested to try and complete challenges, were surprised that segments were actually fun, or hell, even atmospheric or innovative feeling as a co-op and gameplay experience, and actually had fun bosses, including a pretty good final boss, and more interesting characters and just... Gaaah, it's so frustrating.

KyleCross

RE6 is awesome. The hate is completely unjust and honestly I say most of it has an agenda due to how many people (both audience and reviewers) who want more of the classic style back.

ORC on the other hand is complete and utter garbage. It is the only gave I've ever bought at a dirt cheap price and returned.

Mr_Zombie

About RE6 - learn the mechanics, play some Mercenaries and you will notice that there's a great shooter/brawler (for the love of God, don't even try playing this game as a cover shooter - you will only get frustrated and miss all the fun) hidden under a pile of weird/questionable design decisions.

Also, I recommend mixing scenarios - go for the chronological chapter order listed in this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42485984&postcount=2
The game gets more interesting that way because each scenario has its own enemies and ideas about what it wants to be (Leon's is more horror-oriented, Chris' more shooter-oriented, Jake's more AAAction-oriented with a lot of QTE, sneaking sections etc.).

As for the stamina, two tips: taking a pill fully restores your stamina. Taking cover or laying on your back (when you jump back or are knocked back) makes your stamina restore faster.

Operation Raccoon City is one of the worst modern games I've played. It's glitchy, controls bad and is boring to play. God I was so hyped for it too. It's probably the closest we were going to get to a REmake 2.

As for the stamina, two tips: taking a pill fully restores your stamina. Taking cover or laying on your back (when you jump back or are knocked back) makes your stamina restore faster.

Also in Mercenaries mode you can use the taunt to restore your stamina really fast. Probably the best way after taking a green herb.

tav7623

Thanks guys for all the tips & info for RE 6, I'll definitely try to incorporate them when I start the game back up (I'll probably play through it some more later tonight) and for the comments about the ORC DLC as I had no idea that it was considered better than the main game.

Update 1: Operation Raccoon City

Well I played a few more chapters of the game and am now 2 chapters away from finishing the main campaign. The two missions I played were a little bit harder than the previous ones especially Chapter 5 (I died several times because I
kept getting swarmed with a sh!t load of hunters that where dropped in this one area after leaving the R.P.D. building
) and it turns out that the chapters I played were not the
kill Leon
ones I thought/heard about. Storywise there wasn't much to be excited about other than catching glimpses of Claire, Leon, & Ada (which I really digging their "new" character designs) and once again the game's devs missed another opportunity to make good use of another key RE landmark. At this point in the game, as a RE fan I'm a bit disappointed, the game gives you these little itsy tinsy teases of events from RE 2 & 3 that look like they might become a bigger (like fighting/exploring a good chunk of the RPD building, battling/hunting Chief Irons) thing in the game only for them (the devs) to pretty much chicken out by having you leave that awesome area pretty quickly and/or by just throwing hordes of normal enemy types at you instead. Now as a standalone third person shooter it's not all that bad and now that I've kinda gotten back into the swing of things with the game's controls I think I might end up checking out some of the online modes to see how they play compared to the game's main campaign.

Vamphuntr

RE6 isn't very good. It's bloated with bad set pieces and awful events. It seems no one was there to keep the team in check. Instead they were free to keep adding bad sequences after bad sequences. Every 5 minutes you are either treated to a cutscene, a QTE, a scene where you lose control of the camera but still can be damaged, an awful kill wall chase, a hold your ground against wave of enemies or a really badly made vehicle sequence. Ada's chapters add stealth sequences on top of the rest. I played it couch coop to completion with a friend the first weekend it came out and was really disappointed by it.

It's too bad because the combat system is refined and fast. You can do dodge rolls, slide, counter and take quick shots which make the game fun to try all of your options. The campaign is simply bad imo.

Marcel

The RE6 campaign was atrocious. I will never look at snowy hills the same way again.

I think it was the last thing I played on my 360 before I sold the system off. What an unfortunate way to go out.

I think I'm going to buy RE6 eventually, bad impressions aside. But I don't know if I'll ever bother with ORC. I haven't heard a single positive thing about it.

It's sitting on my shelf (got the 360 version on sale for $10 a while back). Should I just skip it?

tav7623

I think I'm going to buy RE6 eventually, bad impressions aside. But I don't know if I'll ever bother with ORC. I haven't heard a single positive thing about it.

Well when/if you decide to get the game let me just give you a heads up that GameStop (now before you start yeah I know boo GameStop and all that, I'm only bringing them up because it currently has the cheapest price for the game) is currently selling the 360 version for $9 pre-owned/$10 new (vs. $17 and $20 for the PS3 version) and that you can knock it down to $4/$5 if you've got a $5 off coupon.

Jawmuncher

RE6 talk is covered so I'll talk about ORC.

The bullet sponges killed that game for me. Could have been a decent mediocre game but fun with friends had slant six had enemy damage like in the Socom games they had made.

It's more evident in SP where you're the only one damages bosses everything feels like a chore. Also the melee is so crap it's not worth using.

Beat the game 3 on every platform thinking next time would be better. Shame is its stuff they could have patched.

It's sitting on my shelf (got the 360 version on sale for $10 a while back). Should I just skip it?

Its worth playing since the impressions very wildly as you can see in this thread. Just go in reading the neiteo thread posted above and knowing its all action rather than anything RE.

tav7623

RE6 talk is covered so I'll talk about ORC.

The bullet sponges killed that game for me. Could have been a decent mediocre game but fun with friends had slant six had enemy damage like in the Socom games they had made.

It's more evident in SP where you're the only one damages bosses everything feels like a chore. Also the melee is so crap it's not worth using.

Beat the game 3 on every platform thinking next time would be better. Shame is its stuff they could have patched.

Its worth playing since the impressions very wildly as you can see in this thread. Just go in reading the neiteo thread posted above and knowing its all action rather than anything RE.

Yeah, I had noticed that some of the enemies were bullet sponges (mainly the hunters, who I ended up dumping a couple of clips into with no real indication that I was doing damage though I did find that they would go down fairly easy with 2-3 rounds from the grenade launcher) and I haven't even bothered using melee so I can't really comment about it.

Top Bottom