• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttF? (in Progress): Resident Evil 6 & Operation Raccoon City

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm in progress on RE6 as well. I'm having a lot of fun with it, I'm finishing up Ada's campaign and then I'm going to play as the other halves of the ones I've already completed.

The little introduction campaign with Leon was really, really fun. I felt like I was playing a cutscene, and that was very compelling. I've never played something on rails that was as fun as that was.

Starting Leon's campaign, I really liked the darkness. Not always being able to see zombies was really fun, and I felt like it would ad to the the feeling of horror, but it never panned out. The game was never scary or creepy at all, and after a while the darkness lost it's fun and stopped making sense.
When you're in the catacombs and there are lights everywhere, why can't you see anything?
Are the characters in this game legally blind or something? Not being able to choose when you can use a flashlight, and the number and intensity of lights having no effect on visibility really hindered what could have been a fun mechanic.

One really bad aspect of the game that annoys me to no end is when the camera locks on an objective, forcing you to look at it. The game is completely linear, I know where I'm going because it's the only place I can go. I don't need to be forced to look at something that I don't care about while I'm trying to explore, it's not useful. It's made especially pointless by the fact that you can press one button and call up a marker to tell you where you're going.

Killing J'avo is not as fun as killing zombies, so Leon's campaign really stands out above the others. J'avo with guns are especially bad, I'm not sure why, but they really can drag down otherwise great parts of the game. Also, headshots not killing enemies really gets on my nerves. One, two maximum, but these monsters often take 5 or 6.

As for the story: Jake is a dickhead. Chris' sidekick is a dickhead. You see this when you run across them in the other campaigns. But I did not expect that upon starting Chris' campaign that he would be the Chief Supreme Dickhead. He's so annoying that I can stand it. If suicide mechanics were part of this video game, Chris Redfield would be dead at every turn. I've never dislike a main character as much as I dislike him in this game.

In spite of all these complaints, I really like this game. Shooting zombies, blowing them up, setting them on fire, and stomping their heads into mush is really fun.

Rest

Also in Mercenaries mode you can use the taunt to restore your stamina really fast. Probably the best way after taking a green herb.
How do you taunt? I've never even heard of doing it.

tav7623

Hey guys, I've heard good things about ORC's Echo Six DLC, but I haven't heard nothing about the RE 6 DLC modes, are they any good/worth getting/checking out?

Sectus

So, like The Mercenaries 3D, but for the PC? Cuz I'd be all over that like a rash.

I mean a steamworks version of RE5. And if that's the case, I think it's possible they'll port over the Gold Edition content at the same time.

A dedicated mercenaries game (whether it's based on RE5 or RE6) would be godlike. Mercenaries 3D is good, but it was made for the wrong platform.

tav7623

Update 2

Operation Raccoon City: Didn't play any more of the game's campaign, but I did play a couple of rounds of online multiplayer using the Play All Setting (it continuously alternate between all the different game types) and I gotta say that out of the game's 4 multiplayer modes I'm kinda digging the Heroes & Biohazard ones.

Resident Evil 6: I played through the last two chapters of Jake's campaign, played a few solo rounds of Mercenaries (was a little bit different than I remember it being, but then again it's been a long while since I've played that mode) and then I started/finished Chapter 1 for Chris before calling it a night.

Overall I thought the later half of Jake Ch.4 was a lot better than the first half, which also applies to Jake Ch.5 (for some reason I didn't really like the opening part where the new ooze like enemy is that
can be cut in two and will still chase after you is introduced
) as I honestly kinda dug the
final Ustanak boss fight near the end of Ch.5, especially the part where Jake has have a fist fight with him & knock his sorry Berkin/Nemesis wannabe @$$ into a vat of lava
which felt a bit satisfying even though it was a little QTE heavy towards the end. Also I felt that Chris's first chapter wasn't too bad imo even though it was very action oriented mainly because I had gotten a little bit better with the controls (though I still haven't figured out the duck/dodge thing just yet) and there weren't as many QTE's (yay!) as Jake's campaign.

Storywise I kinda got lost because I didn't realize that the plot jumps around a whole lot in the latter half of the game between the different characters, which left some blank spots. This became very apparent while I was playing through Jake chapters 4 & 5 when all of a sudden there is a new big bad villain that was apparently introduced earlier in one of the other character's campaigns. Which honestly left me scratching my head because prior to this
I thought that Ada was the villain because she was the one who kidnapped/imprisoned Jake & Sherry, but then later on she saves them from the chainsaw arm B.O.W. and then this new guy Simmons is now supposedly the bad guy
, but I'm guessing that is probably why Nemesis_ posted a campaign order listed in the RE 6 OT. So I'm probably gonna end up playing through the game a second time, but in chronological order so that I can get the whole effect of the game's story. I also encountered the "climbing" sequence I was warned about (I managed to get through in one go even though the whole sequence literally had me saying this because
the Ustanak shows back up after being dropped in lava
and it totally killed that satisfied feeling I had after that
last Ustanak boss fight
) which turned out to be a little but similar to the NG3: RE climbing sequences, though it was a bit longer than the NG3: RE sequences nor did it feel as responsive. Speaking of story I should mention that Chris's opening cinematic also left me scratching my head (
when did Chris become an alcoholic douche with short term(????) amnesia?)
, but I'm guessing that stuff will be covered in the upcoming chapter.

Mr_Zombie

Also, headshots not killing enemies really gets on my nerves. One, two maximum, but these monsters often take 5 or 6.

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong. Headshots are there to stun enemies and set up a melee attact, not to kill them. ;)

Chris' sidekick is a dickhead. You see this when you run across them in the other campaigns. But I did not expect that upon starting Chris' campaign that he would be the Chief Supreme Dickhead. He's so annoying that I can stand it. If suicide mechanics were part of this video game, Chris Redfield would be dead at every turn. I've never dislike a main character as much as I dislike him in this game.

tumblr_mp30i57Vwa1sqwauno1_500.jpg

though I still haven't figured out the duck/dodge thing just yet

You duck by pressing the action button while aiming.
You dodge by pressing action button + direction (up, down, left, right) while aiming.

This became very apparent while I was playing through Jake chapters 4 & 5 when all of a sudden there is a new big bad villain that was apparently introduced earlier in one of the other character's campaigns. Which honestly left me scratching my head because prior to this
I thought that Ada was the villain because she was the one who kidnapped/imprisoned Jake & Sherry, but then later on she saves them from the chainsaw arm B.O.W. and then this new guy Simmons is now supposedly the bad guy
, but I'm guessing that is probably why Nemesis_ posted a campaign order listed in the RE 6 OT.

Simmons is introduced in Leon's campaign and mainly belongs there (
and in Ada's campaign
). As for the story overall, you will have to play Ada's campaign to fully understand what's really going on. Without it, it can be confusing.

I also encountered the "climbing" sequence I was warned about (I managed to get through in one go even though the whole sequence literally had me saying this because
last Ustanak boss fight
)

Are you sure you're talking about the infamous climbing sequence? The sequence people are talking about is Leon' chapter 5; and it's truly awful - apparently it was even worse before the patch, because you had to be precise with pressing buttons or else Leon/Helena would fall; now it's simply long and boring.

Speaking of story I should mention that Chris's opening cinematic also left me scratching my head (
when did Chris become an alcoholic douche with short term(????) amnesia?)
, but I'm guessing that stuff will be covered in the upcoming chapter.

It's covered in Chris' chapter 2. It also (kind of) explains why Chris is such a dickhead in RE6.

I mean a steamworks version of RE5. And if that's the case, I think it's possible they'll port over the Gold Edition content at the same time.

Source? Because last time I heard Capcom said nothing about porting RE5 to Steamworks. And I would love to (finally) play Gold Edition on PC (even though the best part - Sheva's Fairytale costume - was already ported by modders and is fully playable in the campaign :D).

Update 2

Overall I thought the later half of Jake Ch.4 was a lot better than the first half, which also applies to Jake Ch.5 (for some reason I didn't really like the opening part where the new ooze like enemy is that
can be cut in two and will still chase after you is introduced
) as I honestly kinda dug the
final Ustanak boss fight near the end of Ch.5, especially the part where Jake has have a fist fight with him & knock his sorry Berkin/Nemesis wannabe @$$ into a vat of lava
which felt a bit satisfying even though it was a little QTE heavy towards the end.

I also encountered the "climbing" sequence I was warned about (I managed to get through in one go even though the whole sequence literally had me saying this because
last Ustanak boss fight
) which turned out to be a little but similar to the NG3: RE climbing sequences, though it was a bit longer than the NG3: RE sequences nor did it feel as responsive. .

I actually liked the ooze enemy. I feel like it was one of the few elements of the game that actually introduced any sort of tension because it countered your large amount of ammo, and was pretty creepy.

Oh, and that's actually not the climbing sequence I was thinking of (although I believe it controls in the same way, although the one you did doesn't stand out in my mind that much so I don't think I had trouble with it). The section I'm talking about is in
Leon's
chapter. You might not end up having any trouble with it though.

Luckily you already finished the worst chapter, so congrats! Chris's is better, and Leon's is a bit better than that for the most part. Although both chapters are still pretty bad imo, and have plenty of the poorly designed sections like those you encountered in Jake's.

tav7623

You duck by pressing the action button while aiming.
You dodge by pressing action button + direction (up, down, left, right) while aiming.

Thanks

Simmons is introduced in Leon's campaign and mainly belongs there (
and in Ada's campaign
). As for the story overall, you will have to play Ada's campaign to fully understand what's really going on. Without it, it can be confusing.

Ah, I haven't played those campaigns yet

Are you sure you're talking about the infamous climbing sequence? The sequence people are talking about is Leon' chapter 5; and it's truly awful - apparently it was even worse before the patch, because you had to be precise with pressing buttons or else Leon/Helena would fall; now it's simply long and boring.

Apparently not (I was only told that there was going to be an annoying "climbing" sequence where you had to alternate between pressing the should triggers/buttons) as the sequence I'm talking about happened at the end of Jake Ch.5, which means I've got more "climbing" sequences to look forward to (hopefully they aren't as long/drawn out as the one in Jake Ch.5).

It's covered in Chris' chapter 2. It also (kind of) explains why Chris is such a dickhead in RE6.

Had a feeling that might be the case

Apparently not (I was only told that there was going to be an annoying "climbing" sequence where you had to alternate between pressing the should triggers/buttons) as the sequence I'm talking about happened at the end of Jake Ch.5, which means I've got more "climbing" sequences to look forward to (hopefully they aren't as long/drawn out as the one in Jake Ch.5).

Lol, i have some bad news for you OP. Although I played it before it was patched I think. Like I said it was the worst piece of game design I've ever had to go through in a AAA game. Hopefully the patch makes it less excruciating for you.

I'm playing through RE6 at the moment, have finished Leon's campaign and it was shit. Am halfway through Chris's campaign and it's even worse.

The controls aren't too bad once you get the hang of them, but they're in no way the best 3rd person shooter controls like I've seen posted here before. Jesus, c'mon...

The pacing and the level design are bottom of the barrel, though. Really straight-to-dvd shit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Bad
- Too many QTE's, good lord there are a ton of them

Most annoying thing for me. I have had arguments with people on GAF that said 'it had the same amount as RE4/RE5' which is utter horse shit. Whilst those games did have the odd QTE, almost every fucking action in RE6 requires them. Every enemy grabs you far too often, the climbing crawling sections go on far too long, even something like turning a wheel takes about 4 rotations of the analogue stick. This game nearly broke my controller.

tav7623

I actually liked the ooze enemy. I feel like it was one of the few elements of the game that actually introduced any sort of tension because it countered your large amount of ammo, and was pretty creepy.

Oh, and that's actually not the climbing sequence I was thinking of (although I believe it controls in the same way, although the one you did doesn't stand out in my mind that much so I don't think I had trouble with it). The section I'm talking about is in
Leon's
chapter. You might not end up having any trouble with it though.

Luckily you already finished the worst chapter, so congrats! Chris's is better, and Leon's is a bit better than that for the most part. Although both chapters are still pretty bad imo, and have plenty of the poorly designed sections like those you encountered in Jake's.

It's not that I didn't like the creature design or anything like that (it was creepy, not to mention the whole Thing (Addams Family)/Facehugger hand and it goes into first person when you are trying to pull it off) it's just that there were (imo) too many of them (encountered at least 30 or more) that kept causing me a lot of trouble (there was also several times where one of those f*(kers would knock me down, then for some reason the usual QTE prompt wouldn't pop up and the thing was able to essentially insta kill me with a worm thing that it drops in your characters mouth creating more of them chestburster style....oh and then when I'd respawn back in the room I'd find there were now 3 of them instead of the 2 when I died) and I ended up having to repeat a section over half a dozen times.......also I only had 3 hand gun bullets left (used most of them on the first couple of ones I had encountered) when I hit the area where the kept killing me (which was also right after the game "saved" so I ended up having to try to play hide n go seek until a couple of those hand things came near me and hope that they would give me ammo instead of skill points when I picked them up and smashed them into a wall (which was pretty awesome, especially the special "interactive" bits like putting it in a grinder, incinerator etc., also this was before I realized I still had 9 remote bombs and found out that they worked pretty well against them, so for a little bit I became Fatman just running around planting/setting off bombs).

The controls aren't too bad once you get the hang of them, but they're in no way the best 3rd person shooter controls like I've seen posted here before. Jesus, c'mon...

You do have to play Mercenaries to be able to enjoy them more, since mastering them is key to get a good score.

I finally picked up RE6 a few months back (after wanting NOTHING TO DO WITH IT). Basically my friend sold me on buying it by saying "It is fun if you imagine it NOT being a Resident Evil game." At times, yeah, it is pretty fun and it looks pretty doing it. But holy hell am I with you OP on the vehicle sections. My biggest gripe with it though are the chase scenes; the camera mixed with the controls flipping out made it borderline unplayable for me at times, but I still managed to muddle through them.

tav7623

Lol, i have some bad news for you OP. Although I played it before it was patched I think. Like I said it was the worst piece of game design I've ever had to go through in a AAA game. Hopefully the patch makes it less excruciating for you.

Yeah, I heard and here I thought I had gotten through the infamous "climbing" sequence in one piece :p, oh well, guess I've still got something else to look forward to (besides Chris Ch. 2) huh.

Mr_Zombie

Oh boy, you're in for a (bad) surprise. :p
If you've ever played MGS3 - imagine the ladder sections (the one with the "Snake Eater" theme played in the background), only instead of pressing the up button you will have to keep pressing right and left trigger alternatively.

It's not that I didn't like the creature design or anything like that (it was creepy, not to mention the whole Thing (Addams Family)/Facehugger hand and it goes into first person when you are trying to pull it off) it's just that there were (imo) too many of them (encountered at least 30 or more) that kept causing me a lot of trouble

During that sections there are only a couple of them. The point is, though, that you can't kill them. You can stop them, but after a while they start to regenerate and keep chasing you. So don't waste bullets on them (you will also encounter those monsters in Leon's and Chris' chapters), just try to avoid them or, if you really have to, use flame grenades - they are super effective against them.

shandy706

LttF....Late to the Farty?

I got stuck before I could get past the thread title..

...I thought I had all my Acronyms down :(

tav7623

Oh boy, you're in for a (bad) surprise. :p
If you've ever played MGS3 - imagine the ladder sections (the one with the "Snake Eater" theme played in the background), only instead of pressing the up button you will have to keep pressing right and left trigger alternatively.

Yeah, I've played MGS3 (and for the most part loved it) and I definitely remember that long @$$ ladder section, so if the infamous "climbing" sequence is as long as that I might be in trouble.

During that sections there are only a couple of them. The point is, though, that you can't kill them. You can stop them, but after a while they start to regenerate and keep chasing you. So don't waste bullets on them (you will also encounter those monsters in Leon's and Chris' chapters), just try to avoid them or, if you really have to, use flame grenades - they are super effective against them.

So wait, your saying that I've been fighting the same ones over & over & over again? Even after I blew them apart (or incinerated/ground up certain body parts), got items/skill points for killing all the different limbs they managed to piece themselves back together and start coming after me a new........if that's the case then damn......I could of used those remote mines to f*(k with/disrupt
Ustanak while he was running around the platform chasing me during that final boss

Mr_Zombie

Yep, that's what I'm saying :lol

If you stay for a while with the blown up monster in one room, you will notice that both his lower and upper body (as well as hands) will start moving on their own and when they meet, they will merge into one again. Actually, that's how the monster is introduced in Leon's campaign. ;)

Yeah, I've played MGS3 (and for the most part loved it) and I definitely remember that long @$$ ladder section, so if the infamous "climbing" sequence is as long as that I might be in trouble.

From what I remember it's longer, and you can get knocked down (at least pre-patch you could). It also doesn't have the benefit of amazing music like the Snake Eater ladder.

tav7623

Yep, that's what I'm saying :lol

If you stay for a while with the blown up monster in one room, you will notice that both his lower and upper body (as well as hands) will start moving on their own and when they meet, they will merge into one again. Actually, that's how the monster is introduced in Leon's campaign. ;)

Really, see I didn't stay in the rooms long enough to see that (was busy looking for ammo and trying to get to the next section/switch) and I haven't played Leon's campaign yet (plan is/was to save it for last since it's supposedly the best campaign in the game) so I had no clue that's how those things worked.....well now I at least know not to waste my time/ammo trying to blow them apart when I encounter them again.

PowderedToast

RE6 was the kind of idiosyncratic big budget title that last generation was missing. frequently flawed, but occasionally brilliant and always creative. it lacks the masterful direction of previous entries, yes, but its mechanics are water-tight and highly satisfying like few non-japanese games are. they have a steep learning curve but once you master them it really exposes how bland, unfulfilling and homogenized other games have become.

tav7623

From what I remember it's longer, and you can get knocked down (at least pre-patch you could). It also doesn't have the benefit of amazing music like the Snake Eater ladder.

wow.......sounds like I'm gonna have a whole lotta fun when I finally reach that part

Riposte

I would have recommended playing the chapters in chronological order.

The rope climb sequence is nowhere as long as the MGS3 ladder lol, though I guess it could be if you fail a lot and I imagine that could have happened a lot given the QTE was a little confusing.

Davey Cakes

I think I completed one chapter of Leon's campaign before stopping.

As a big RE fan I'm kind of disappointed with myself.

It may not be RE6's fault since I'm really selective about games these days but man, the game didn't grab me at all. I still have too much of a love affair with RE4, which I put 120+ hours into and honestly just recently got bored of.

I should really finish RE6 but putting all those hours into four separate campaigns, ehhhh...I really wish they'd done just one big focused campaign rather than spreading the experience thin trying to cover the bases of characters/gameplay. RE6 seems a bit scattered I guess and it's a little daunting. Like, yeah if I want to mostly complete the game I have to complete four campaigns, each of which might not be fulfilling in and of itself. Last thing I want is to spend 20 hours on a game only to be dissatisfied with the overall package.

And I'm not really into Mercs much so that entire aspect of the game is pretty much a non-factor. I know for some people it's pretty much THE reason to own the game though.

I still have to hunker down and do a full playthrough of RE:CV HD as well. The only other main RE game I never beat.

Reule

RE6 was some good co-op fun if anything. It was worth it alone for Mercenaries which I had a complete blast in.

RE:ORC was something else. The campaign had me bored to tears and I didn't even have the heart to try convincing the friends who played it with to do it again. The multiplayer on the other hand was sort of fun but pretty unbalanced. If it wasn't everyone running around with the Juggernaut assault shotgun, you were being rammed and repeatedly stun locked with melee attacks.

http://youtu.be/mjVIuLW9Ljg

Some footage I took of how ridiculously easy it was to dominate a team.

I still liked playing it only so I could be on a team with Jill, Claire, Carlos, and Leon.

Riposte

RE6 will be mostly talked about here, but I want to throw a comment out there on Operation Raccoon City;

The Echo Six DLC Campaign is a shit ton better than the main game.

It's stupid. I would not recommend the core ORC game really unless you're a really die-hard fan that needs to play every game in the series, or can get it for cheap to fuck around with your friends. However, the DLC is actually a rather fun co-op campaign that manages to have MUCH better level design, MUCH better bosses (these two things are my biggest gripes with ORC, along with unsatisfactory shooting), but hell, it even looks better (much better lighting), has better music, a better story, a better finale.... And it even manages to do something RE5 and RE6 don't and feel something like a horror game in places. And then they add in new items not in the main game, new gameplay mechanics, actually inspired levels and gameplay segments... I would actually recommend the DLC, though the DLC is harder than the main game is one thing, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you got ORC off Steam for 75% off for the Complete Pack or something.

It's literally dumb that you need the core game to play the Echo Six Expansion, I have no idea what happened between the core game and the DLC, but the DLC is literally by far the best part of the game, and the DLC campaign is even just as long as the main game anyway.

I just played through ORC in June all the way through with a few friends, the main game was very ehhh, had some fun with a few returning locations but the rest of it was dumb fun, the stages were badly designed, the bosses were dull, shooting felt unsatisfactory, we spent most of the regular campaign just beating each other up. But the DLC was actually a lot of fun and I have no idea why it's so much better than the main game, and in such a weird position that most people will never actually experience it. We stopped messing around to give us some fun and actually got more invested to try and complete challenges, were surprised that segments were actually fun, or hell, even atmospheric or innovative feeling as a co-op and gameplay experience, and actually had fun bosses, including a pretty good final boss, and more interesting characters and just... Gaaah, it's so frustrating.

This sounds pretty interesting. I imagine its impossible to play online co-op now though.

KDC720

I spent a lot of time with ORC, but yeah, its not a good game. The main characters assholes (I mean they're the bad guys, but you could at least make them somewhat likeable) and story was awful. They had so much potential to do some cool and crazy stuff with the Raccoon city story, but they squandered it. You wanna go fight Nemesis? Okay, shoot him in the face for what feels like 20 minutes as he slowly walks around. You wanna be able to decide the fates of major characters from the series? Well too bad, it only happens once in the entire game at the very end, and it was poorly done to boot. I'm not even go into the gameplay problems, as I've sure you've already noticed them.

The Echo 6 campaign fixes some of my problems with the main game, but it's still not that much better, and there's a terrible escort mission in there too.

Honestly, this games only saving grace was the multiplayer, which I admittedly had a lot of fun with. The heroes mode was super fun, and having two teams duke it out with zombies, hunters, and tyrants running around the map was really cool.

I enjoyed RE6 despite it's flaws, and I hope you can too OP.

tav7623

I think I completed one chapter of Leon's campaign before stopping.

As a big RE fan I'm kind of disappointed with myself.

It may not be RE6's fault since I'm really selective about games these days but man, the game didn't grab me at all. I still have too much of a love affair with RE4, which I put 120+ hours into and honestly just recently got bored of.

I should really finish RE6 but putting all those hours into four separate campaigns, ehhhh...I really wish they'd done just one big focused campaign rather than spreading the experience thin trying to cover the bases of characters/gameplay. RE6 seems a bit scattered I guess and it's a little daunting. Like, yeah if I want to mostly complete the game I have to complete four campaigns, each of which might not be fulfilling in and of itself. Last thing I want is to spend 20 hours on a game only to be dissatisfied with the overall package.

And I'm not really into Mercs much so that entire aspect of the game is pretty much a non-factor. I know for some people it's pretty much THE reason to own the game though.

I still have to hunker down and do a full playthrough of RE:CV HD as well. The only other main RE game I never beat.

Yeah, so far I'm kinda wishing they had done one focused campaign like the previous games cause playing the game the way I am (I'm playing straight through each character's campaign and not alternating between campaigns) has left me scratching my head more than a few times. I for the most part feel the same way about Mercenaries mode (didn't really get into it) and kinda actually prefer playing Revelation's Raid Mode instead. Also I feel your pain when it comes to RE: CV (I also haven't beaten it and have been holding off on replaying it in the hopes that I can eventually find the memory card with my last game save.....which was right before the
Nosferatu boss fight
...though I'm honestly starting to doubt that I will find it) so I'll wish you good luck for when you start your playthrough of the game.

Riposte

I played RE6 like it was "one campaign", a big one, by switching characters constantly. I think sticking with one campaign only decreases the variety and actually makes the plot less coherent because of how they interact.

tav7623

This sounds pretty interesting. I imagine its impossible to play online co-op now though.

Don't know about the co-op (been playing solo though I do seem to recall seeing something about the game having a drop in co-op feature), but the online multiplayer seems to be alive and kicking as I had no problems yesterday getting into matches.

tav7623

RE:ORC was something else. The campaign had me bored to tears and I didn't even have the heart to try convincing the friends who played it with to do it again. The multiplayer on the other hand was sort of fun but pretty unbalanced. If it wasn't everyone running around with the Juggernaut assault shotgun, you were being rammed and repeatedly stun locked with melee attacks.

http://youtu.be/mjVIuLW9Ljg

Some footage I took of how ridiculously easy it was to dominate a team.

Damn......thankfully I didn't really encounter that a whole lot when I was playing through those modes yesterday. In fact there was really only one time I encountered something even remotely like that which was during a match of Survivor where someone playing as Beltway somehow perched themselves on a roof (with no apparent access route that I could find) across from the helicopter landing site and kept killing everyone with his heavy machine gun while they were trying to get into da chopper, I ended up trying to chuck grenades up there a few times but the sob wouldn't die.

Most annoying thing for me. I have had arguments with people on GAF that said 'it had the same amount as RE4/RE5' which is utter horse shit. Whilst those games did have the odd QTE, almost every fucking action in RE6 requires them. Every enemy grabs you far too often, the climbing crawling sections go on far too long, even something like turning a wheel takes about 4 rotations of the analogue stick. This game nearly broke my controller.

Then don't let them grab you. You can roll away, you can counter them, you can quickshot them, or you can just move away. The game offers you options, you just have to take advantage of them.

Riposte

Then don't let them grab you. You can roll away, you can counter them, you can quickshot them, or you can just move away. The game offers you options, you just have to take advantage of them.

What a lot of people overlooked is that breaking out grabs is not a defense mechanic, it's a comeback mechanic. With that said, when you do grab, it really helps to rotate both sticks (without even rushing it).

Rest

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong. Headshots are there to stun enemies and set up a melee attact, not to kill them. ;)
I understand what they're there for in this game, but sometimes you just want the satisfaction of blowing a guy's head off, so the second one should kill them. Three's too many to kill someone.

Simmons is introduced in Leon's campaign and mainly belongs there (and in Ada's campaign). As for the story overall, you will have to play Ada's campaign to fully understand what's really going on. Without it, it can be confusing.
Do you really need to play it? I thought it was pretty obvious just from Leon's campaign that
there was a clone Ada wreaking havoc and trying to infect the world
. The only thing it added was that the
clone of Ada wasn't actually a clone, but was another woman who had been infected with a strain designed to turn her into Ada

Ada's campaign shouldn't be skipped though, the boat section was the only part of the game that actually succeeded at being creepy.
Also, it feels like you're walking around inside hotkinkyjo, which I thought was weird and funny

Riposte

I understand what they're there for in this game, but sometimes you just want the satisfaction of blowing a guy's head off, so the second one should kill them. Three's too many to kill someone.

If you want pop off heads like balloons, you'll need to invest in skills and use a powerful rapid fire gun like the AK in Leon's campaign. On the other hand, the handgun in that campaign is probably the weakest (it usually doesn't take that many headshots to kill normal enemies, but it might with that gun).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Even when ye get used to avoiding them, it still happens far too often. And they have a much larger range compared to the other games. There would still be too many QTE's even if they never grabbed you. I played it at release if it makes any difference, I know they added an optional assist which clearly indicates they knew it was excessive.

Rest

If you want pop off heads like balloons, you'll need to invest in skills and use a powerful rapid fire gun like the AK in Leon's campaign. On the other hand, the handgun in that campaign is probably the weakest (it usually doesn't take that many headshots to kill normal enemies, but it might with that gun).
And that's the problem, the power of the gun shouldn't affect headshots. A headshot should be a headshot. If you've got a stun mechanic like the RE series, then sure, go with game design over realism, but give people the option of splattering brains when someone uses their skill to pop a guy the second time in a row. It's not like two in a row is the easiest thing to do in these games.

Riposte

And that's the problem, the power of the gun shouldn't affect headshots. A headshot should be a headshot. If you've got a stun mechanic like the RE series, then sure, go with game design over realism, but give people the option of splattering brains when someone uses their skill to pop a guy the second time in a row. It's not like two in a row is the easiest thing to do in these games.

As I was saying with the right equipped skills and weapons headshots should come easy. Most games operate on damage ratings, RE is no different. The only difference is that the durability of the enemies is higher than realistic humans so the weakest equipment isn't going to kill even hitting the area with the highest damage multiplier.

ZeroCDR

Mostly for Mercs, I plunked down the $12 for the complete edition of RE6 on Steam during the summer sale. I had already platinumed the game on PS3 last year, for reference.

I immensely enjoy the KB+M controls, everything is so fast and fluid. Mercs is a blast as ever, but I gotta complete some campaigns to unlock the rest of it. Sigh.

I decided to just go for it, I've completed everyone but Leon. This is coming right after my pro run of RE4 on Steam, so the flaws stand out that much more.

Overall each campaign has something to like, something to hate (Jake and Ada more so than the others), and a whole lot of so-so. I never played the campaigns pre-patch, my heart goes out to all of you who didn't have access to the auto-QTE.

Rest

As I was saying with the right equipped skills and weapons headshots should come easy. Most games operate on damage ratings, RE is no different. The only difference is that the durability of the enemies is higher than realistic humans so the weakest equipment isn't going to kill even hitting the area with the highest damage multiplier.

That's what I'm saying, headshots shouldn't be counted like regular damage. They should kill enemies. Hit points shouldn't be involved.

Bergerac

That's the perfect example of why people have absolute aversion to the game in name though. I just don't care for these mechanics because they're in *this* game. Seriously I find it impossible to go along with what everyone says about the combat gameplay because it's the antithesis of RE. Any other game on the planet would've been preferable. I'd rather they'd have put guns in FIFA to allow for it than to put it into RE.

All the QTEs, boss chase sequence crap, even the dumb tripping over every corpse I'd happily abide to not have had a melee emphasis.

Riposte

That's what I'm saying, headshots shouldn't be counted like regular damage. They should kill enemies. Hit points shouldn't be involved.

But why? Hit points are usually involved.

That's the perfect example of why people have absolute aversion to the game in name though. I just don't care for these mechanics because they're in *this* game. Seriously I find it impossible to go along with what everyone says about the combat gameplay because it's the antithesis of RE. Any other game on the planet would've been preferable. I'd rather they'd have put guns in FIFA to allow for it than to put it into RE.

All the QTEs, boss chase sequence crap, even the dumb tripping over every corpse I'd happily abide to not have had a melee emphasis.

Weird post given your avatar.

ZeroCDR

Truth be told I barely bother with the Shot+Context Melee aspect in the campaign, most of the enemies mutate into lame bullet sponges. enemy encounters are nowhere near as refined or fun as RE4/RE5 to make the most of it.

Top Bottom