• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttF? (in Progress): Resident Evil 6 & Operation Raccoon City

That's the perfect example of why people have absolute aversion to the game in name though. I just don't care for these mechanics because they're in *this* game. Seriously I find it impossible to go along with what everyone says about the combat gameplay because it's the antithesis of RE.

The whole "shoot to stun -> melee attack" thing has been a core part of combat in the Resident Evil games since 4, though. Even if you don't care for the newer games, they absolutely are Resident Evil, and 6 is following tradition in that regard.

Jawmuncher

I only played ORC and it's horrible. RE6 still haven't played, waiting a discount to get this game.

It's easily found for 9.99 during steam sales and used at numerous retailers.

Its worth that cheap of a price if you see it around. Especially if you have a buddy to play with and know going In its an action game and you need to read the neiteo thread for the real tutorial.

The melee emphasis is one of the things I love about the modern Resident Evil games. Stunning an enemy, running toward him and kicking his ass with your bare hands never gets old.

Even when ye get used to avoiding them, it still happens far too often. And they have a much larger range compared to the other games. There would still be too many QTE's even if they never grabbed you. I played it at release if it makes any difference, I know they added an optional assist which clearly indicates they knew it was excessive.

Zombies grabbed you in old games too, and you had to repeatedly push random buttons to break free. Here you have to press specific buttons. Not sure what's the problem.

And there are quite a bit of QTE, yes, but the really annoying ones are just a few. I think the worst one for me was the one during the boss fight in the train with Leon. Had a really hard time when I played the game on No Hope, since when you miss that QTE (and the timing was pretty unfair) you had to restart the boss battle. Maybe they fixed that with a patch, but I'm not sure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The melee emphasis is one of the things I love about the modern Resident Evil games. Stunning an enemy, running toward him and kicking his ass with your bare hands never gets old.

Zombies grabbed you in old games too, and you had to repeatedly push random buttons to break free. Here you have to press specific buttons. Not sure what's the problem.

And there are quite a bit of QTE, yes, but the really annoying ones are just a few. I think the worst one for me was the one during the boss fight in the train with Leon. Had a really hard time when I played the game on No Hope, since when you miss that QTE (and the timing was pretty unfair) you had to restart the boss battle. Maybe they fixed that with a patch, but I'm not sure.

Whilst that is true it happens far more often in RE6 and they move in faster/from further away. Also this game throws far more enemies at you than most of the others. Like I said earlier it's not just specifically enemy grabs that's the problem, it gets irritating when combined with everything else.

For example in Leons campaign, when you are trying to start the car, you are made go thru a pointless trial and error exercise to find keys and start the engine. Its another example of the game trying to be exciting when in reality its just being frustrating and takes you out of the game.

tav7623

Game Update 3:

Operation Raccoon City
Well I just finished the game's final mission (I thought there were 8 of them, but it turned out there was only 7, with the 8th one being a free Echo Six mission) and overall it wasn't imo all that good (though I did end up playing the final mission twice because at the end it gives you two options which will affect the game's final outcome), but I will say that I did like the final area where
you either defend Leon by killing your now former teammates or kill Leon and your former teammates who tried to defend him
which was a kinda/sorta nice little twist.

I also played the free Echo Six mission called "Eye of the Storm" (turns out it acts as a prologue to the Echo Six DLC missions) which I actually liked a lot more than the ones in the main game (
it actually managed to get me with a jump scare cause a cerberus popped up outta no where and knocked me flat on my @$$, then started trying to maul me to death and then there was this cool bit where you have to save Jill from the Nemesis
) even though there was a few tough/frustrating parts
that damn Nemesis boss fight at the end of the mission was insanely tough, I unloaded a sh!t ton of grenades into that f*(ker, heck I even blew up the gas tanks while he was standing next to them and yet he kept on coming/killing me with his Gatling gun.
which led to a several deaths/retries. With that said if this mission is any indication of the other Echo Six DLC missions then I might definitely end up checking them out as I felt that that one prologue chapter was better than some of the chapters found in the main game.

Overall I felt this game was a bit meh (neither good or bad), but as a RE game (especially one set during the events of RE 2 & 3) it's bad as the devs imo didn't really try to capitalize/properly utilize the series' vast amount of infamous events that happen during the time frame the game is set. The sad thing is is that the one (free) DLC chapter/campaign I played had more of an RE feel than the main game and seems to fall more in line with the game's promise/premise than the actual main game.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I finally tried out ORC's melee mechanic during my playthrough and I gotta say that while a bit shallow (it's basically keep pressing circle and occasionally follow it up with the x button) it was a little bit satisfying knocking a zombie down & driving a knife into em.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think that DLC prologue is on the PC version of Turd City. From your spoiler, it sounds neat. But I couldn't stomach the terribleness of Turd City. At least Biohazard 6 has that as a compliment from me: not as terrible to where I could stomach the campaign once but probably never play it again, unlike the other Biohazard (0-5) titles. :/

6 easily surpassed Code Veronica as "worse Biohazard" for the main series. But Operation Turd City basically killed the franchise in terms of spin-offs. Geez, that game was bad. Slant Sux can't do games. :/

tav7623

I don't think that DLC prologue is on the PC version of Turd City. From your spoiler, it sounds neat. But I couldn't stomach the terribleness of Turd City. :/

Well I just checked and apparently there was a patch for the Steam version that added the DLC prologue into the game, but if it's anything like the PS3 version you'll need to go into campaign, select free play, and pick spec ops in order to play it.

Whilst that is true it happens far more often in RE6 and they move in faster/from further away. Also this game throws far more enemies at you than most of the others. Like I said earlier it's not just specifically enemy grabs that's the problem, it gets irritating when combined with everything else.
But as already said, the game offer you more options to evade those grabs compared to the old games. People on Mercenaries mode actually wait for the zombies to try and grab them so they can use a counter and get a time bonus :p

For example in Leons campaign, when you are trying to start the car, you are made go thru a pointless trial and error exercise to find keys and start the engine. Its another example of the game trying to be exciting when in reality its just being frustrating and takes you out of the game.
The one inside the car is one of the most harmless QTE in the game. It may fail to be exciting, but I sure didn't find it frustrating.

Sectus

Even when ye get used to avoiding them, it still happens far too often. And they have a much larger range compared to the other games. There would still be too many QTE's even if they never grabbed you. I played it at release if it makes any difference, I know they added an optional assist which clearly indicates they knew it was excessive.

The QTE assist option does not affect grabs at all, so that was never changed.

Anyway, I don't think it was ever a problem. Enemies try to grab you more often, but you also have many new ways to evade or prevent the grab. As long as you pay attention to what is going on, you should rarely get grabbed.

That's what I'm saying, headshots shouldn't be counted like regular damage. They should kill enemies. Hit points shouldn't be involved.

I think that change would break and dumb down the gameplay. The game is all about setting up melees against enemies. There's already enough shooters which encourage the player to keep killing enemies with headshots.

Mr_Zombie

The best thing about that QTE is that if you play as Helena, you have nothing to do during that part. You don't protect Leon, you don't help him looking for the keys; you just sit there silently watching the other player (or AI partner) "desperately" looking for keys and starting the car. 😂

There are few sequences in the game where something similar happens: one player is doing something while the other is left there doing nothing.
For example, there's the sequence in Leon chapter 5 where Ada is fighting Simmons on the bridge between two buildings and Leon jumps in to help her. If you play single player as Helena you have nothing to do then. AI characters are immortal with unlimited ammo (unless that changes on higher difficulties, I played on normal and the difficulty level above that) and Simmons is such a bullet sponge that it's useless to waste ammo on him. So I was standing there in an empty "corridor" for few minutes, killing those few zombies that were appearing from time to time out of nowhere, and was just waiting for Leon and Ada to finally do enough damage to Simmons so the game could move on.

That's the perfect example of why people have absolute aversion to the game in name though. I just don't care for these mechanics because they're in *this* game. Seriously I find it impossible to go along with what everyone says about the combat gameplay because it's the antithesis of RE. Any other game on the planet would've been preferable. I'd rather they'd have put guns in FIFA to allow for it than to put it into RE.

This particular complaint is rather ironic, looking at your avatar. The way I remember it, your average Ganado takes ~9 headshots to kill with the standard pistol on Professional. There's no feasible way to get through RE4 ( or 5) without constantly using stun -> melee.

Mr_Zombie

That's the perfect example of why people have absolute aversion to the game in name though. I just don't care for these mechanics because they're in *this* game. Seriously I find it impossible to go along with what everyone says about the combat gameplay because it's the antithesis of RE. Any other game on the planet would've been preferable. I'd rather they'd have put guns in FIFA to allow for it than to put it into RE.

Can we please stop with that argument. RE4, that introduced the whole melee mechanics, was released in 2005. 9 years ago. Resident Evil series was survivor horror for 9 years and an action game with emphasize on melee combat for another 9 years. Saying that the combat gameplay is the antithesis of RE is rather ridiculous nowadays.

I can understand that you dislike the new mechanics, but this is what RE is since 2005 - half of the series' life time.

tav7623

Game Update 4:

Resident Evil 6
I just finished playing through Chris chapters 2 & 3 and that pic that Mr.Zombie posted the other day is starting to make sense to me, especially after finishing Chris Chapter 3. Overall they weren't bad chapters (though replaying sections from Jake Chapters 1 & 4 through Chris's pov kinda sucked not to mention the damn bridge section where
it starts collapsing and you gotta crawl your way to up and over to Finn while sh!t is falling that can knock you off the bridge
) and I kinda actually liked the lone driving sequence Chris has had so far (it felt like it actually controlled a lot better/was more responsive than Jake's driving sequences) not to mention the whole bit in chapter 3 with
"Ghost" Yawn was essentially picking off team members one by one
wasn't too bad either. The few (other) things I did not like about these chapters (especially ch.3) was that it felt like it went on for too long/was too drawn out and that storywise I gotta call BS on Chris going all alchy amnesiac douche over
losing his whole team with the exception of Piers to the C-Virus, cause I don't seem to remember him getting that bent out of shape when he found out that his fellow STARS team members were being hunted/killed off in RE 1
though I can see why he becomes
obsessed with killing/pursuing Ada as he essentially did the same thing with Wesker......hopefully it doesn't end with Chris going to town punching on a boulder trying to knock it off a cliff onto a mutated Ada

Mr_Zombie

not to mention the damn bridge section where
it starts collapsing and you gotta crawl your way to up and over to Finn while sh!t is falling that can knock you off the bridge
)

Fun fact about this sequence: if you stand in the "wrong" spot (i.e. in front of a big object like trash container or a car) before the sequence begins, the moment it starts you will die instantly, without even a second to react. :lol Just another example of bad design.

storywise I gotta call BS on Chris going all alchy amnesiac douche over
losing his whole team with the exception of Piers to the C-Virus, cause I don't seem to remember him getting that bent out of shape when he found out that his fellow STARS team members were being hunted/killed off in RE 1

I think the whole amnesia thing comes from being knocked out by the Napad (the big monster with shielded skin) rather than from the traumatic experience. Or at least the hit helped with it. Also, if you think about it, Chris is really unlucky when it comes to team members. (
he lost almost all his teammates in RE1, RE5 and twice in RE6 - in both Edonia and China missions
).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
But as already said, the game offer you more options to evade those grabs compared to the old games. People on Mercenaries mode actually wait for the zombies to try and grab them so they can use a counter and get a time bonus :p

The one inside the car is one of the most harmless QTE in the game. It may fail to be exciting, but I sure didn't find it frustrating.

If it works in mercenaries fair enough, I know a lot of people consider that to be the best part of the game. I have only played it once or twice myself and wasn't really into it. In the context of the single player game I don't think rolls and counters make up for the grab frequency, the counters in particular seemed very fiddly.

As far as the car QTE goes I didn't find it frustrating because it was difficult or anything. It annoyed me because it was taking me out of the game yet again, there was no need for it.

tav7623

Fun fact about this sequence: if you stand in the "wrong" spot (i.e. in front of a big object like trash container or a car) before the sequence begins, the moment it starts you will die instantly, without even a second to react. :lol Just another example of bad design.

Yeah I had that fun fact happen to me a few times (and it's part of the reason I called it "the damn bridge".....but you wanna know another fun fact I found during that sequence.
You can temporarily make Chris look like a roided wall crawling Spider-Man by staying on the right side of the bridge (while dodging all the crap falling on you), climbing straight up, and then while still tapping the A button at the top of the collapsing bridge start moving left. If you did it right Chris's character model will turn sideways and will for the most part stay sideways as long as you keep him at the top of the falling bridge until you reach Finn

Also, if you think about it, Chris is really unlucky when it comes to team members. (
he lost almost all his teammates in RE1, RE5 and twice in RE6 - in both Edonia and China missions
).

I had completely forgot about Chris
losing teammates in RE5
, then again there are whole parts of that game I've forgotten about, but the point I'm trying to make is that him suddenly giving (too much of) a damn about his teammates to the point of being over zealously driven by revenge (and that he'd be willing to put others in danger) when they
get killed in chapters 2 & 3
just seems to me to be way out of character for him. Hell he seems to be even more upset over losing a few random team members that he's probably only known for a year or so than he was
losing his long time partner Jill in the lead up to the events of RE 5

tav7623

RE5 begins something like a year after that event, no?

You may be right, but for some reason I'm thinking that it was a shorter time period (remember seeing something in game about 3 months) but maybe I'm thinking of something else cause it has been about 3 years (well at least according to xbox.com) since I last played through 5 ( it says I last played it on 4/3/12, but my last Achievement..when I beat the game, was dated 1/23/12 ).

If it works in mercenaries fair enough, I know a lot of people consider that to be the best part of the game. I have only played it once or twice myself and wasn't really into it. In the context of the single player game I don't think rolls and counters make up for the grab frequency, the counters in particular seemed very fiddly.

As far as the car QTE goes I didn't find it frustrating because it was difficult or anything. It annoyed me because it was taking me out of the game yet again, there was no need for it.

Counters works and are useful even on the single player, of course. Learning all the mechanics in Mercenaries mode and using them in the campaigns makes them more fun. And if you wanna beat the game on No Hope you better be using a lot of counters, melee attacks and rolls.

tav7623

Game Update 5:

Resident Evil 6

Well I just finished Chris chapter 4 and overall it wasn't too bad (so far I'm like Chris's chapters more so than Jake's even though Chris's chapters seem to go on a lot longer and his story prior to chapter 3 was imo worse than Jake's), it definitely gave me a Revelation vibes (the setting plus the ooze type enemy I encountered for the first time in
Jake chapter 5
) especially as I progressed further into the area. This chapter also had another vehicle sequence (
this time a harrier jet
) that I actually liked (so far I'm liking Chris's vehicle sections a whole lot more than Jake's) even though the end of the section you are essentially providing cover fire. Story wise Chris seems to be a bit more restrained than he was in earlier chapters and I loved the small little nod during the end chapter cinematic to RE 2 & 3
with the people infected with the c-virus turning into zombies and starting to tearing sh!t up
. Also this chapter had some (to me at least) surprising developments such as
Ada maybe? (don't know for sure cause I haven't completed/played Leon's or Ada's chapters) getting shot & killed by a mysterious guy in a helicopter who I gotta say looked a little bit like the CV version of Wesker (blonde hair slicked back, black sunglasses, black gloves,etc.) or that Chris didn't flip his sh!t when he found that Jake was Wesker's son
. Gameplay wise I've started to getting a lit bit better with the game's controls as I haven't gotten knocked down or grabbed as many times as I was in Jake's chapters and I've started trying to use the environmental melee attacks when possible (some of them are kind of awesome) to try and conserve ammo. Speaking of ammo I've started to notice that ammo is becoming scarcer in some areas and that there are times where I can't pick up any ammo or health items what so ever even though I could've used (needed) those items right that second which started to become a bit annoying.

Can't remember which chapter it was in for Chris' campaign, but I loved the segment where you're in the bowels of the ship looking for card keys while an ever-growing number of Raskaplanjes (ooze monsters) keep attacking you.

It also featured the best environmental melee finishers on those body parts.

tav7623

Can't remember which chapter it was in for Chris' campaign, but I loved the segment where you're in the bowels of the ship looking for card keys while an ever-growing number of Raskaplanjes (ooze monsters) keep attacking you.

The chapter you are describing sounds like Chris chapter 4, though you may also be describing Chris chapter 5 (not 100% cause I haven't played it yet) also I kind of liked using Jake's environmental melee finishers in Ch.5 (the grinder & incinerator).

Markitron

That was one of the highlights of the game, so tense. Then I had to repeat it in everyone else's campaign and it took the shine off it.

That was one of the highlights of the game, so tense. Then I had to repeat it in everyone else's campaign and it took the shine off it.

Yup. Those enemies added some of the only tension in the game, because your huge supply of ammo and wealth of melee combos are useless when those things are numbers. They also have some cool death animations like when they dive into a meat grinder with you.

Elija2

I just finished the final chapter in Leon's campaign.
Honestly, I didn't think the climbing sequence was that bad. I'm not sure how it was pre-patch, but it didn't even take long to get through and I never died while doing it. But good lord was that final boss terrible. I had no idea what I was supposed to do for a freaking hour. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kill all the zombies so that Simmons goes for the one with the lightning rod through it, but I didn't know that so I just kept shooting at Simmons' head. Eventually Simmons would strike at me and I would climb onto him to plant a grenade inside him but it took ages to trigger this. Still, I kept doing this because I thought I was making progress. Then I get lucky and Simmons goes for the zombie with the lightning rod through it on his own, but when the lightning rod falls out I still had no idea what to do with it. Leon says to stick it inside of him and to go for the legs so I try picking it up and sticking it inside Simmons but there's no prompt to do it. I'm trying to avoid the zombies while doing this because I don't want to get hit by them so I didn't get the prompt to stick it into one of them. But finally I do and that's when I piece together how to kill the boss. It only took an hour because Leon and Helena don't tell you anything or only give you useless information ("Go for the legs!" when you're literally not supposed to attack the legs). Once I figured it out the boss actually wasn't that bad, but damn did it take forever.

tav7623

Game Update 6:

Just finished Chris chapter 5 officially hitting the game's halfway mark leaving only Leon and Ada's chapters until I've finished the game. Overall I felt that Chris's final chapter wasn't all that good (especially when compared to chapters 3 & 4), but there were some bright spots like
no extra bit at the end like in Jake's 5th chapter where you beat a boss and it comes back forcing you into a QTE sequence
. I was also a bit disappointed storywise by how the chapter ended
with mutant Piers sacrificing himself even though at the beginning of the chapter it looked like they were setting him up to replace Chris as a series protagonist and I would have genuinely been shocked (that Capcom actually had the balls to do something crazy) if Chris had die instead. I was also disappointed we didn't get to see that promised post credits "chat" between Chris & Jake

Overall neither of the campaigns I've played so far (Jake & Chris) have really thrilled/wowed me, but as far as individual chapters go I'd say it was about 50/50 in terms of chapters I liked (for the most part such as Jake 1,3,& 5 and Chris 3 & 4) versus chapters I didn't like (or flat out hated such as Jake 2 & 4 and Chris 1, 2, & 5) which all things considering isn't really too bad since I've still got the other half of the game to go through (with a total playtime so far clocking in at about 12 hrs) and it's supposedly the good half of the game to boot. So it'll be interesting to see if they live up to their reputation as being the best parts of the game and to finally find out what Chris & Jake's campaigns left out storywise.

tav7623

Game Update 7:

After taking a brief break from playing the game I started up Leon's campaign earlier today and have for the most part made it through the creepy cemetery
I just got the key from the Cerberus and have unlocked the door
in Leon Chapter 2. So far I'm digging the spooky atmosphere found in these two chapters as they very much seem like they were ripped straight from RE 2 & 3
especially when going through Tall Oaks where you come across survivors at the gas station then blowing it up in order to buy you some time to escape and meeting a gunshop owner who refuses to let you into the upstairs apartment above his shop that he's holed up in. I also thought it was kinda of an awesome little detail that when going through the cemetery if you got near an open grave you could slip and fall in due to the rain making the ground slick
. I also liked the call back to early RE games of zombies "playing dead" and then popping back up, but in this game these f*(kers will suddenly leap out at you (they are also really fast) which got me to jump a few times as I wasn't expecting them to do that. My only complaints about what I've played of Leon's campaign so far are that I couldn't stick around to explore the creepy campus/try to save students (wish I could also further explore Tall Oaks), that Helena's AI is horrible/stupid at times (one time she kept trying to crawl underneath some bleachers when there was a clear path around them right in front of her, a few times she was late warning me about
the f*(king Train coming down the tracks behind me while we were down in the subway station
, and then there were a few instances where I got swarmed by enemies and she just stood there staring at me as I got mauled to death), and that there's no explanation (so far at least) on how Leon & Helena didn't manage to get infected or see/hear/know about
the fog that infects/turns people into zombies, I'm also still trying to figure out what the hell happened to that guy who was in the elevator with you cause when the doors open he's dead on the floor yet I didn't hear/see him getting attacked by his newly zombified daughter as Leon & Helena put her down pretty quickly nor did he have any visible wounds at all
. Overall though I still enjoyed what I've played of Leon's campaign and hope that it will continue to maintain the creepy atmosphere through the rest of Leon's campaign.

Jawmuncher

I'll tell you right now the "atmosphere" you're liking is done after the first 2 chapters and then it's goes like the rest with 3,4,&5.

Though I have to say I'm still confused why people like Leon's chapter 1 and 2 so much when to me they felt like a sad attempt. Then again I felt the same way about revelations and a lot of people wanting something scarier loved it. Guess I just want a actual valid attempt rather than just a try if they're going that route.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Operation Raccoon City was so bad it took me 6 weeks to beat it. I could only play one level a week in small chunks. I have no idea what they were thinking.

Jawmuncher

Operation Raccoon City was so bad it took me 6 weeks to beat it. I could only play one level a week in small chunks. I have no idea what they were thinking.

The saddest thing is how badly made some of the levels were. If you used vector or the leader with the invincibility you could run through levels. Had such fast times cheesing levels thati automatically got a S even with no other stats filled in.

I'll tell you right now the "atmosphere" you're liking is done after the first 2 chapters and then it's goes like the rest with 3,4,&5.

Though I have to say I'm still confused why people like Leon's chapter 1 and 2 so much when to me they felt like a sad attempt. Then again I felt the same way about revelations and a lot of people wanting something scarier loved it. Guess I just want a actual valid attempt rather than just a try if they're going that route.

For me I liked the poor attempt at old school RE's atmosphere better than the vibe of the rest of the game, which was instead a weird amalgam of ever AAA action game of the past 4 or 5 years. I'll take a Resident Evil game that attempts, even if it fails, to actually be Resident Evil over a Resident Evil game that tries and fails to be every other action game any time. My favorite part of the whole game is in Leons campaign where
you are in the subway tunnels and a trains lights reveal the shadows of dozens of zombies rushing towards you across the wall of the tunnel.
I though that was a clever piece of suspense building, and it's that general thought line that pervades the early section of eons campaign that sets it apart from the others.

Jawmuncher

For me I liked the poor attempt at old school RE's atmosphere better than the vibe of the rest of the game, which was instead a weird amalgam of ever AAA action game of the past 4 or 5 years. I'll take a Resident Evil game that attempts, even if it fails, to actually be Resident Evil over a Resident Evil game that tries and fails to be every other action game any time. My favorite part of the whole game is in Leons campaign where
you are in the subway tunnels and a trains lights reveal the shadows of dozens of zombies rushing towards you across the wall of the tunnel.
I though that was a clever piece of suspense building, and it's that general thought line that pervades the early section of eons campaign that sets it apart from the others.

I guess I can understand that. Those who are aching for something even small of being scary or go to love at least the attempt. For me I just prefer the action since they went all in for it. Thinking about it I can see that that angle since in Rev my favorite parts were when you changed characters which were just action as light as they were.

tav7623

bummer, would have been awesome if they had kept it going through the rest of Leon's campaign .....I think that the reason everyone likes Leon ch. 1 & 2 is because they (to a small degree) feel that they harken back to the "Survival Horror" feel/roots found in the early RE games and are probably overly praising those chapter in the hopes that Capcom will take notice (though I seriously doubt they will) that a lot of people/paying customers actually want a full blown RE game that's more scary/survival horror oriented then action movie/CoD esque schlock.......or I could be wrong and they are just happy that Capcom took the time to throw them a bone even if it was a small/pitiful one.

tav7623

Couldn't agree more, also
the subway tunnels were pretty good and it would have been better if not for Helena waiting until a train was practically on top of me to warn me it was coming up behind me.

Reule

Damn......thankfully I didn't really encounter that a whole lot when I was playing through those modes yesterday. In fact there was really only one time I encountered something even remotely like that which was during a match of Survivor where someone playing as Beltway somehow perched themselves on a roof (with no apparent access route that I could find) across from the helicopter landing site and kept killing everyone with his heavy machine gun while they were trying to get into da chopper, I ended up trying to chuck grenades up there a few times but the sob wouldn't die.
Haha, nice. I used to see people camp there but never where you couldn't reach them.

Honestly, despite balancing and design issues, I still had fun with the competitive side. It's just the campaign that I couldn't stand.

tav7623

Haha, nice. I used to see people camp there but never where you couldn't reach them.

Honestly, despite balancing and design issues, I still had fun with the competitive side. It's just the campaign that I couldn't stand.

I'm thinking there was a way up there and that it's just that at the time I couldn't figure out how to get up there in one piece to put an end to him. When it came to the game's online competitive side I really enjoyed Biohazard & Heroes and agree that it was for the most part more fun than the main campaign.

Mr_Zombie

Though I have to say I'm still confused why people like Leon's chapter 1 and 2 so much when to me they felt like a sad attempt.

I didn't feel they were a sad attempt. It was a true "city in chaos" scenario that I loved and would like to see more of. In both RE2 and RE3 you see the aftermatch of the outbreak: zombies roaming around a devastated city, a lone dead/dying survivor here and there. Here - you were in the middle of the beginning of the outbreak: people turning into zombies right before your eyes, cars rushing down the street and crashing, random people trying to flee, to fight, barricading themselves etc. I loved the atmosphere. Not to mention: zombies. ;)

However, it both those chapters were constantly bogged down by questionable design decisions (the whole beginning of Leon's 1st chapter is a chore to replay) and stupid action set pieces. Also, it would be better if the game didn't constantly rush you through and gave you motivation to explore a little bit.

tav7623

I didn't feel they were a sad attempt. It was a true "city in chaos" scenario that I loved and would like to see more of. In both RE2 and RE3 you see the aftermatch of the outbreak: zombies roaming around a devastated city, a lone dead/dying survivor here and there. Here - you were in the middle of the beginning of the outbreak: people turning into zombies right before your eyes, cars rushing down the street and crashing, random people trying to flee, to fight, barricading themselves etc. I loved the atmosphere. Not to mention: zombies. ;)

This is the main reason why I wish we could have been allowed to explore/stay longer in Tall Oaks/Tall Oaks University (can't remember the name of the school/university) area.

tav7623

Game Update 8:

Since my last update I've made a bit of progress as I've now played through/finished Leon chapter's 2 - 4 and in the process managed to collect/unlock my first in game figurine. My overall impressions are that chapter 2 was pretty good as it had some nice nods to RE4 once I got into the cathedral, though there were also a few WTF? moments in the chapter
Apparently there's an Ada clone running around and someone thought it was a good idea to create a large farting tit monster then use said monster as a sort of "mid level" boss
. Chapter 3 was pretty interesting (
it starts off with a underwater swimming section which I don't think has been done in an RE game before and ends with a swimming segment reminiscent of RE4's lake sequence boss fight
), though it wasn't as good as Ch.2, but it was still pretty good (
kinda dug the zombie assault where you had to use the crank to shoot out flames across the bridge and the zombies waking up/grabbing you as you swam past them in the underwater swimming section was pretty cool
) overall. With chapter 4 I liked how it started
with you on an airplane where the pilot somehow got infected with the C-Virus then turned into a titty fart monster leaving you to have to navigate through the plane in mid flight without a pilot to kill the damn thing
and ended
with you atop a speeding train fighting a mutated Simmons
, but everything else in between basically covers the same ground as Jake & Chris chapters 4 with the exception for the part where
Leon has to find three keys to advance while also having to deal the regenerating ooze creatures hiding in the area
. Storywise there are still a few questions that these chapters have imo failed to answer which is honestly starting to get me a little peeved cause I want to know wtf happened! such as

What did Helena do exactly that helped cause all of the chaos in Tall Oaks?
What happened before Leon showed up in that office with Helena & the zombie president?
How the hell was Simmons able to make an Ada clone?
How the hell did the airplane pilot get infected with the C-Virus?
Why was there a mutant shark squid monster in the catacombs & where did it come from?
Did Leon realize that the Ada he & Chris were chasing wasn't the real Ada?
Why didn't he say anything about the potential clone to Chris prior to Chris telling him Ada was dead?

I'm hoping that at least a few of these questions will be answer in Ada's campaign since I doubt they'll be answered in Leon final chapter.

Mr_Zombie

Storywise there are still a few questions that these chapters have imo failed to answer which is honestly starting to get me a little peeved cause I want to know wtf happened! such as

What did Helena do exactly that helped cause all of the chaos in Tall Oaks?
IIRC Simmons used her to loosen up President's get to the President.
What happened before Leon showed up in that office with Helena & the zombie president?

The story is another victim of RE6 poor design decisions. Someone thought that it would be great to present backstory (which contains major informations) not through in-game files like in all the other RE games, but through files you receive by finding hidden emblems. While most of them are pretty easy to find, there are few that are pretty well hidden or are visible for just several seconds on screen (the worst are those that you have to shoot during various chases, mainly the motorbike and snowmobile chases in Jake's scenario).

Anyway, the file called "Helena's crime" says that Helena's role was to alert Secret Service that a group had entered Ivy University with the intent to kill President Benford (well, to be honest, she wasn't that far from truth, but whatever). Thanks to that when the real attack (virus outbreak) took place, President had only a couple of Secret Service agents with him to protect him and thus could be easily dispatched of.

How the hell was Simmons able to make an Ada clone?
Resident Evil science. ;)
C-virus is able to completely rewrite subject's DNA into whatever you want. IIRC it took Simmons a couple of tries to finally reach a "perfect" clone of Ada.

How the hell did the airplane pilot get infected with the C-Virus?
As you could see in the chapter 2, Lepotitsa (the titty gas monster) was responsible for spreading the C-virus around the Oak Talls. Someone put the monster on a plane (probably in order to stop Leon and Helena) so it can spread the virus there too.

Why was there a mutant shark squid monster in the catacombs & where did it come from?
C'mon, it's like asking why was there a giant Alligator in Raccoon City sewers in RE2 or where does Grave Digger (RE3) come from. It's Resident Evil - giant mutated monsters just happen here. ;)

Did Leon realize that the Ada he & Chris were chasing wasn't the real Ada?
Why didn't he say anything about the potential clone to Chris prior to Chris telling him Ada was dead?

I believe neither Leon nor Chris know about
the clone
. Throughout the game Leon barely even see
Ada's clone
and when confronted Ada didn't explain anything about the tape, so he was confused about what's really going on here. Chris, on the other hand, never met
the original Ada
so he only knows about
the clone

I'm hoping that at least a few of these questions will be answer in Ada's campaign since I doubt they'll be answered in Leon final chapter.
Yes, Ada's chapter gives you a lot of answers.

tav7623

The story is another victim of RE6 poor design decisions. Someone thought that it would be great to present backstory (which contains major informations) not through in-game files like in all the other RE games, but through files you receive by finding hidden emblems. While most of them are pretty easy to find, there are few that are pretty well hidden or are visible for just several seconds on screen (the worst are those that you have to shoot during various chases, mainly the motorbike and snowmobile chases in Jake's scenario).

Anyway, the file called "Helena's crime" says that Helena's role was to alert Secret Service that a group had entered Ivy University with the intent to kill President Benford (well, to be honest, she wasn't that far from truth, but whatever). Thanks to that when the real attack (virus outbreak) took place, President had only a couple of Secret Service agents with him to protect him and thus could be easily dispatched of.

Resident Evil science. ;)
C-virus is able to completely rewrite subject's DNA into whatever you want. IIRC it took Simmons a couple of tries to finally reach a "perfect" clone of Ada.

As you could see in the chapter 2, Lepotitsa (the titty gas monster) was responsible for spreading the C-virus around the Oak Talls. Someone put the monster on a plane (probably in order to stop Leon and Helena) so it can spread the virus there too.

C'mon, it's like asking why was there a giant Alligator in Raccoon City sewers in RE2 or where does Grave Digger (RE3) come from. It's Resident Evil - giant mutated monsters just happen here. ;)

I believe neither Leon nor Chris know about
the clone
. Throughout the game Leon barely even see
Ada's clone
and when confronted Ada didn't explain anything about the tape, so he was confused about what's really going on here. Chris, on the other hand, never met
the original Ada
so he only knows about
the clone

Yes, Ada's chapter gives you a lot of answers.

Thanks for answering my questions!, I honestly didn't expect anyone to answer them cause I was (essentially) trying to use them to illustrate my growing frustration with the way the game's story was told/not told (sorry if I didn't properly illustrate that in my post.....also I too miss the in game files that give you background story, as well as creature/virus info via memos), but you did make some good points (the whole giant mutated monster thing & the whole
Chris/Leon/ Clone Ada
non discussion/confusion thing) that I honestly didn't think about/consider when I wrote those questions. You also brought up a few things that I had either missed or didn't know about (had no clue that those emblems could & do show up during chase/vehicle segments or that Helena's role in the
Presidents "assassination" plot was to provide false intel in order to create a distraction so the president would be less protected/more exposed to an attack
) because I hadn't found/destroyed the emblem that unlocks them yet. Also due to your response I'm now really looking forward to playing through Ada's campaign to see if they can (hopefully & finally) give me some of the answers I've been looking for.

DSix

Banned
RE6 is a very good coop game, but you absolutely need to play it with a good friend. Don't even bother if you're solo.

tav7623

RE6 is a very good coop game, but you absolutely need to play it with a good friend. Don't even bother if you're solo.

Can't really comment on the game's coop is, as playing the game that way isn't really an option for me at the moment (I only have one controller & no XBL Gold subscription.......which I also don't really plan on getting anytime soon cause I do most of my online play on the PS3), but it's something I'd like to try out (heard the RE 5 also had good co-op) eventually along with the game's DLC modes (I've also been wondering how good/bad those modes are and if they are worth the $10 or so it would cost to get/buy all of them).

tav7623

Game Update 9:

Just finished up Leon chapter 5 so all that leaves is Ada's campaign before I've finished the game!!!!

Anyways my thoughts about the chapter can pretty much be summarized in one word.....disappointment. This chapter was disappointing (it's pretty much my least favorite chapter in Leon's campaign) as it has you play through the Prologue section once again (though slightly altered & imo not as good) and outside of that the chapter essentially exists to serve as a prolonged boss fight that didn't really feel all that satisfying (it would have been imo a little more satisfying if I had
been allowed to jam that f*(king lighting rod into his giant fly skull once I got to the end of the fight instead of spiking it through a zombie in the hopes he would grab it in order to regenerate his damaged skull
also Jake's final boss fight has been the only one so far in the game that truly felt satisfying to me from start to finish) when all was said and done. Storywise it didn't really tell you anything new (or answer any lingering questions) other than
Simmons was apparently Ada's @$$ hat ex boyfriend and may or may not have been obsessed with "possessing" her even if it meant creating a clone of her.....who, from the look of things, had other plans
. Another thing that disappointed me was the infamous climbing sequence I've been hearing about, it was really long and quite honestly very tiring as it didn't matter how fast you hit the button combinations you aren't gonna go up that rope any faster (I did it at NG speed, rapid fire and made less upward progress than "insert name of hero that stars in a game with slow/bad climbing sequences") .......in fact the infamous long @$$ MGS 3 ladder climb was more "fun" than this sequence.

With all that said I still think that overall Leon's campaign was better than the other ones I've played through as it was the only one (so far at least.....cause I still have Ada's campaign to beat) that had large sections (the first 2 chapters & parts of chapter 3) that genuinely left me wanting more......even though I (having now played through 3 of the 4 campaigns) pretty much agree with everyone else that these chapters were essentially a "poor" attempt at imitating the earlier RE games, but hey a poor attempt is better than no attempt at all, so I'll take it.

Top Bottom