• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttF? (in Progress): Resident Evil 6 & Operation Raccoon City

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Simons wasn't Ada's boyfriend. He was a "co-worker" in the same organization (which is never explained due to LOL SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY LOL </Capcom> reasons) she previously was in before she bailed from them/"the Family" and went on her own (and into Wesker's splinter group? She's a spy though, so she's probably quadruple crossing people at this point)

Campaign: Leon >>>>>>>>> Ada > Jake >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Getting a kidney stone removed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris

Though in all honesty:

Mercenaries = No Mercy Merc = Onslaught (or whatever the "Tetris" trash-sending Merc-like mode is) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Campaign >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of the DLC that isn't Deathmatch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Getting in a car accident >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Team Deathmatch. Why Capcom continues to make deathmatch multiplayer modes when they aren't Biohazard... I'll never know. This one is even WORSE than Bio5's because of the whole new combat mechanics breaking shit.

Team Deathmatch. Why Capcom continues to make deathmatch multiplayer modes when they aren't Biohazard... I'll never know. This one is even WORSE than Bio5's because of the whole new combat mechanics breaking shit.

I remember watching a video for gameplay of Team Deathmatch from RE5. It was set to Benny Hill. And it was appropriate.

tav7623

I didn't know there were any Benny Hill RE5 Team Deathmatch videos out there, in fact the only ones I knew about were the Chris's boulder punch vs. Leon's laser room maneuvers video and the RE5 Wesker Prison one

I didn't know there were any Benny Hill RE5 Team Deathmatch videos out there, in fact the only ones I knew about were the Chris's boulder punch vs. Leon's laser room maneuvers video and the RE5 Wesker Prison one

Yeah, the vid I mentioned was from a series of someone's (can't remember who) casual matches in Team Deathmatch. I definitely remember it being in the Ruins (ancient laser hall) map with one team being two Weskers. The music only came in during a part when the player and one of the enemy team started circular strafing each other for... quite a while.

Also remember that the Wesker team was constantly firing random vocal messages back and forth at each other.

RE6 had no saving grace, it didn't do a single thing right, worlds apart from RE5 which I thought was great. Even RE6 Mercs was bad, was a counter fest and came with a whopping 3 free maps, the rest pay DLC, and RE5 shipped with 10 maps. I find Mercs 3D on 3DS a better game than RE6 as a whole.

ORC, fun with friends, pretty boring solo. I really enjoyed the competitive MP save a couple of bad map designs like rooftops on Apocalypse, I think the bug reports were exaggerated, I put in a lot of time into that game and can count on my fingers the amount of breaking bugs I encountered. Also +1 to Echo Six campaign being so much better than Wolfpack campaign.

The RE6 vision of RE needs to die imo, ORC I wouldn't mind a follow up to, just with a better dev and some more polish.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE6 is best played on amateur, with local co-op, Leon's campaign.

Just walk around and kick the shi* out of everything. Dive on the ground, navigate areas on your back and slash zombies to death with the knife. Constantly talk to each other through the praise/thanks mechanic (Thanks! I appreciate it!) it's more campy than Deadly Premonition AND Escape from bug island but it's so damn funny, the absurdity of it all.

RE6 is a shi* show and outright DUMB through and through but if you push the combat system to its limits it can be incredibly entertaining.

Riposte

When the fires of RE6 discussion reignite every once in awhile (just look at like four or so threads about it going on in the last two days), I take the criticism seriously and allow myself to doubt my feelings. To settle this I go and replay RE6 on steam.

Well, I tend to have a good time. While the online community is unfortunately rather dead (couldn't find a Mercs game to join to save my life), it's not impossible to find campaign games to join (I figure that's because of the drop-in mechanic, the multiplayer system for the other modes actually blows when you think about it). I joined a No Hope Left run that went through Chris 1 to 2 with a really solid player and no mic what-so-ever (that's how I like it). It was like I found my clone, dude knew exactly what I wanted to do without saying a word. Was a bit iffy at first because I had to relearn the controls after a few months and more than dozen games; my confidence almost got me in trouble since I didn't realize I forgot how to heal until I was in danger lol.

Something else I find funny is that I've never beaten the game on PC despite putting probably close to a hundred hours into it at this point (maybe 200 hours into the game overall). This is because I've been solely focused joining campaign sessions as a multiplayer experience. I should bunker down and get the assault rifles on Leon and Helena, because it is a bit of of an issue.

Something I would really like to do is set up No Hope Left campaign crossover sessions. Perhaps mistakenly, I would think that "episode" jumping would make it very easy. I once pitched this idea in the OT, but nothing came of it.

RE6 is best played on amateur, with local co-op, Leon's campaign.

Just walk around and kick the shi* out of everything.

You don't need to play on amateur for that. Chris and Jake also have better ass-kicking stuff.

tav7623

Game Update 10:

Well I've now completed Ada Chapters 1-3 and have 2 chapters left until I've finally beaten all the campaigns in the game (yay! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel). So far Ada's chapter's have provided some of the lingering questions I had except for a few that I was hoping for like
why/how did Simmons create an Ada clone? How/why did Clone Ada tip off Real Ada that Simmons was up to something when Real Ada was one of the few who could interfere with/ruin Clone Ada's plans?
, but I'm hoping that they'll be (somewhat) answered in Ada chapter's 4 & 5. Gameplay wise Ada's chapters have been (so far) more of the same with the exception for chapter 1 which had a stealth section early on which was kind of refreshing even though the game's controls weren't imo ideal for stealth gameplay. Also I found most of Ada's interacting environmental melee attacks weren't as good or fun as the other characters (so far my favorite one's have been Leon's....there's one where Leon puts an enemy in a head lock and rides them face first into the ground ), but her quick fire move with the bow gun was (imo) awesome as it had a different animation (she does this back flip like move before firing off a quick arrow/bolt) than the game's standard quick fire animation that you get when you do it while using the other in game weapons like the hand gun, assault rifle, etc.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Game Update 10:

Well I've now completed Ada Chapters 1-3 and have 2 chapters left until I've finally beaten all the campaigns in the game (yay! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel). So far Ada's chapter's have provided some of the lingering questions I had except for a few that I was hoping for like
why/how did Simmons create an Ada clone? How/why did Clone Ada tip off Real Ada that Simmons was up to something when Real Ada was one of the few who could interfere with/ruin Clone Ada's plans?
, but I'm hoping that they'll be (somewhat) answered in Ada chapter's 4 & 5. Gameplay wise Ada's chapters have been (so far) more of the same with the exception for chapter 1 which had a stealth section early on which was kind of refreshing even though the game's controls weren't imo ideal for stealth gameplay. Also I found most of Ada's interacting environmental melee attacks weren't as good or fun as the other characters (so far my favorite one's have been Leon's....there's one where Leon puts an enemy in a head lock and rides them face first into the ground ), but her quick fire move with the bow gun was (imo) awesome as it had a different animation (she does this back flip like move before firing off a quick arrow/bolt) than the game's standard quick fire animation that you get when you do it while using the other in game weapons like the hand gun, assault rifle, etc.
I think any questions you have should be answered by the end of Ada's campaign. Ada also gets the best level in the whole game, although there is one room in it that I found a little hard.

I do agree, Leon's bulldog attack is very fun. I also like Helena's drop kick to the head, as well as her elbow drop to the face.

jett

D-Member
I'm also playing through this game. I just finished chapter 3 on Leon's campaign.

I think I've had quite enough of this.

tav7623

Well, all the campaigns in Resident Evil 6 are done!!!

ZkgKE.gif4

Gonna take the time to collect my final thoughts on the game and post them here in a day or two, but in the mean time let me just say that out of Ada's final two chapters (which were kind of shorter than I expected) I liked Chapter 4 over Chapter 5. Also I felt a bit disappointed by Ada Chapter 5 as I expected a little more.....hell I expected
a proper boss fight with mutant Carla/Ada or with the Ada/Carla clone that was hatching in Neo Umbrella's/Carla's primary lab instead of a cinematic cutscene of Ada just shooting the f*(k out of everything
. Storywise I got some of the answers I was looking for, but I got them from the special features menu upon reading the files I unlocked from shooting emblems (I got all the emblems in Ch.4) after I finished the game......which I gotta say is not a good thing.

tav7623

Final Thoughts:

Resident Evil 6

Well now that I've had a little time to let things "sink in" after beating the final campaign I'm ready to to post my final thoughts on the game. As a Resident Evil game Resident Evil 6 is bad, sure you get small, brief, glimpses of good Resident Evil games in there, but they are fairly short in the grand scheme of things and are buried under a sea of action set pieces, quick time events, & driving/vehicle sections. As a standard third person shooter Resident Evil 6 isn't too bad as the controls are fairly decent (once you've figured out the system's little intricacies) and other than a number of design flaws (like bad vehicle controls, QTE overload, story pacing/presentation issues, poor sound mixing etc.) is fairly well made. My biggest issue with the game (other than it not trying to actively horrify/scare the player and instead trying inundate you with cinematic action set pieces ala a Micheal Bay movie) was with the way the game's story was handled. They took what imo should have been a 8 hour story and tried to make it fit into a 20+ hour game. To add insult to injury they broke the story into four parts instead of keeping it a single experience that has you jumping from key character to key character or better yet picking a single character and sticking to them. Oh and let not forget the design decision to keep important background info hidden/locked away as "bonus" unlockables (imo another design mistake) in attempt at further artificially extending the game. The way this game's story was told was/is such a cluster fuck that I had to visit the RE Wiki in order to view the unlockable files I didn't find/unlock just to get a better grasp of what went down. Another thing that kind of blew my mind when I stopped to think about it was that Resident Evil 6 is pretty much the longest Resident Evil game in franchise history (according to this website RE 6 took players roughly 22 hrs to finished and 59 hrs to complete) and yet the earlier games managed to tell their stories better than RE 6 did in roughly half the time. Also another thing that gets me is that if not for these idiotic story/design decisions I (probably) would have enjoyed Resident Evil 6 more than I did Resident Evil 4.

Graphics - 8
Controls - 7
Sound - 7
Story - 3
Gameplay - 4
Content - 4
Multiplayer - NA (didn't want to pay for XBL Gold just to briefly try out Agent mode, nor did I feel like paying for the extra DLC multiplayer modes)

Final Verdict - 5.5

Operation Raccoon City

I figured while I'm at it that I should summarize my thoughts on Operation Raccoon City as well as provide my "scores" for the game so without further ado here are my brief thoughts on ORC and my final verdict.

What should have been an interesting take on Resident Evil lore turned out to be a middling core experience that imo failed to properly utilize the game's source material (RE 2 & 3) and looked (to me) to be surpassed by the DLC campaigns that were released a few months after the game came out. Outside of the disappointing way the game handled it's source material I felt that the game's controls scheme were questionable at best, especially when compared to Resident Evil 6 and that given the type of game it was (team based third person shooter) it could have been done better.

Graphics - 8
Controls - 5
Sound - 8
Story - 5
Gameplay - 5
Content - 5
Multiplayer - 7 (online multiplayer on PSN was free so I was able to try out all 4 multiplayer modes that came with the game)

Final Verdict - 6.1

Let me close by saying thank you to everyone who posted here while I played these game, especially those that took the time to answer my questions or respond to my comments and for providing additional insight & tips that I either missed or was not aware of. More importantly I want to thank everyone for being patient with me and for making my first official thread as a Member a pleasant experience, I hope to do a few more of these kind of threads in the near future.

Top Bottom