• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls 2

Anon67

After thoroughly enjoying Dark Souls and Demon's Souls this year, I decided to jump into Dark Souls 2. I expected to be somewhat disappointed given that most people think DS2 is inferior to the first two games; instead, yes I can agree that the other games are probably better, I had a great time and didn't have any major issues with it.

One thing people have said about DS2 was that the world wasn't as much fun to explore as the previous games. I'm not sure why this was the case with some people because I was totally cool with the world. Yeah, it wasn't elaborately interconnected as Dark Souls' world, but roaming the world, exploring for awesome loot, anticipating the next enemy was all invigorating. Exploring every bit of the map, every environment in the game, to discover everything about the game and its world was so fun. Environments were beautiful and each shortcut or hidden room were well placed.

The bosses were pretty fun to fight for the most part, though they seemed to a be a bit "normal," or simplistic. What I mean is that many of the bosses delved down to a big guy with a lot of health trying to hit me with a sword or something similar in a straightforward fashion (stabbing, slashing, etc.) Maybe it’s because I have bad memory, but this wasn't an issue with the Dark Souls bosses for the most part. Despite this, I still enjoyed analyzing the bosses' technique and successfully exploiting their weaknesses. One thing I want to say is that the Smelter Demon was kinda a pain because I could only deal around 42 damage. I finally brought in three phantoms to help me out and we took him down relatively quickly. I need to know: why couldn't I deal a lot of damage to the Smelter Demon?

I avoided using magic in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls mainly because I wanted to focus on a melee character and I actually didn't know how to start. About a quarter the way through DS2, I decided I wanted to start using magic since I felt that I was missing a huge aspect of the mechanics. And damn, magic is great! It makes bosses easier to fight because I can deal a substantial amount of damage to bosses while at a safe distance. Tbh, because of this, I feel that magic is pretty OP. There were a couple of bosses where I defeated them with only souls arrows (normal, great, heavy souls arrows) without losing a lot of health. I leveled up magic to 18 and left it there for quite some time. I can imagine that fighting bosses would be even easier had I leveled magic substantially more. Question: should I also level up miracles as well? I am doing a second playthrough and I'm not sure if I should since spreading myself out with all the stats may not be ideal.

I've started NG+ on Sunday and am enjoying the slightly added difficulty. I just have some questions about my NG+ playthrough:

1. I never upgraded any of my weapons in my initial playthrough because I didn't want to depend on only one weapon throughout the duration. I wanted to explore my options and see what DS2 has to offer in terms of weapon variety and different weapon mechanics. What I am noticing is that enemies and bosses have more health (I feel like bosses have a ton more health) and my weapons aren't exactly as great as they used to be. Right now, I am using the red iron twinblade and I am really liking it. Would it be wise just to upgrade it to the max? I'd probably stop using other weapons but hey, if upgrading the twinblade will help me a ton, who cares, right? What should I do?

2. Does anyone have any general tips for NG+? I'm seeing that there are many more health-spongy red invaders. Any tips on fighting those guys? Also, I am horrible at parrying with my shield. Any tips about that? Where should I go to practice parrying?

3. Iron Keep was pretty annoying because there would be times when 4+ knights would be attacking me all at once. And in general, there are sooooo many knights that it becomes somewhat of a grind to pass through. Any idea how I can make the Iron Keep a less annoying?

BTW, I was playing the Scholar of the First Sin version on the PC with a controller.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
One thing people have said about DS2 was that the world wasn't as much fun to explore as the previous games. I'm not sure why this was the case with some people because I was totally cool with the world. Yeah, it wasn't elaborately interconnected as Dark Souls' world, but roaming the world, exploring for awesome loot, anticipating the next enemy was all invigorating. Exploring every bit of the map, every environment in the game, to discover everything about the game and its world was so fun. Environments were beautiful and each shortcut or hidden room were well placed.
Agreed!

One thing I want to say is that the Smelter Demon was kinda a pain because I could only deal around 42 damage. I finally brought in three phantoms to help me out and we took him down relatively quickly. I need to know: why couldn't I deal a lot of damage to the Smelter Demon?
What weapon were you using? Not the fire longsword I hope? ;)

Question: should I also level up miracles as well? I am doing a second playthrough and I'm not sure if I should since spreading myself out with all the stats may not be ideal.
Typically it's not a good idea. But, hexes are spell that scale with both intelligence and faith, and they are very powerful if you upgrade and infuse the proper staff/chime for it, so if you don't know what to do in NG+ that could be an idea.

1. I never upgraded any of my weapons in my initial playthrough because I didn't want to depend on only one weapon throughout the duration.
Wait what? That's why you were doing so little damage... no wonder you needed to rely on magic! :O Or did you mean "I didn't max out"? I can't believe you beat the entire game with +0 weapons...

Right now, I am using the red iron twinblade and I am really liking it. Would it be wise just to upgrade it to the max? I'd probably stop using other weapons but hey, if upgrading the twinblade will help me a ton, who cares, right? What should I do?
Go for it. The Red Iron Twinblade is probably the best weapon in the entire game. You can't go wrong with it. Especially if you levelled up strength a lot as it scales best with STR. That said, I have a faith build who used it too, infused with lightning, and it was very good then too.

2. Does anyone have any general tips for NG+? I'm seeing that there are many more health-spongy red invaders. Any tips on fighting those guys? Also, I am horrible at parrying with my shield. Any tips about that? Where should I go to practice parrying?
Maybe try applying poison coating to your weapon? The twinblade has multiple hits so it should help with damage sponges. Personally, I like fishing for backstabs on those NPC invaders.

3. Iron Keep was pretty annoying because there would be times when 4+ knights would be attacking me all at once. And in general, there are sooooo many knights that it becomes somewhat of a grind to pass through. Any idea how I can make the Iron Keep a less annoying?
Proceed cautiously, lure them with a bow or crossbow if needed. Never really had to fight 4+ at once, myself. Wear the stone ring to help with staggering them.

Glad you enjoy the game btw! Refreshing to see a positive LTTP for once. :)

Malio

Loved the hell out of Dark Souls II, don't know why everyone jumped on the "OH GOD IT'S THE B TEAM" bandwagon...game kicked ass. And the DLC was excellent too. Ready for some DS 3!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Loved the hell out of Dark Souls II, don't know why everyone jumped on the "OH GOD IT'S THE B TEAM" bandwagon...game kicked ass. And the DLC was excellent too. Ready for some DS 3!

The game's quality was not very high. I made that conclusion without even knowing that a B-Team made it. It shows and I'm sure a lot of users on the board would agree just as much disagree. There are some great ideas but that's it. The execution of Dark Souls 2's design is not very good and I would say it's an overall disappointment to me eprsonally.

Plum

Did you play the DLC areas OP? If not get onto this asap :)

The DLC areas always seem to be lauded as the best Souls 2 has to offer but I've never got around to playing them. My original Greatsword-wielding SL80+ character got wiped and I'm finding playing through the SotFS edition tedious.

Otherwise a damn good game. Not as iconic as Souls 1 and some design decisions were sketchy (along with a few quite jarring misunderstandings of the original), but it stands on its own nonetheless.

1. I never upgraded any of my weapons in my initial playthrough because I didn't want to depend on only one weapon throughout the duration. I wanted to explore my options and see what DS2 has to offer in terms of weapon variety and different weapon mechanics. What I am noticing is that enemies and bosses have more health (I feel like bosses have a ton more health) and my weapons aren't exactly as great as they used to be. Right now, I am using the red iron twinblade and I am really liking it. Would it be wise just to upgrade it to the max? I'd probably stop using other weapons but hey, if upgrading the twinblade will help me a ton, who cares, right? What should I do?

What the hell! Dude, the game gives you more than enough materials to fully upgrade a couple of weapons per playthrough, plus you can buy Titanite, too.

I find it hard to believe you thought it was an okay idea to not upgrade after playing Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One thing I want to say is that the Smelter Demon was kinda a pain because I could only deal around 42 damage. I finally brought in three phantoms to help me out and we took him down relatively quickly. I need to know: why couldn't I deal a lot of damage to the Smelter Demon?

I never upgraded any of my weapons in my initial playthrough

Yes, quite the mystery as to why you were doing so little damage. I believe we should get Sherlock Holmes on the case.

Malcolm9

Currently on my first play through right now. I've finished the main game and I have one final boss left from the DLC levels, the Blue Smelter Demon, it's a pain.

Hoping to find a human summon to help me as the NPC summons are useless.

It's not very good. DS3 luckily does a pretty good job of overwriting it, so you don't need to pretend it exists anymore unless you want to.

I enjoyed what I played of it. Didn't finish tho. Got close to the end then witcher 3 took over my life. Now I'm all into dark souls 3. Eventually I might get back to it.

RevenWolf

So far ds2 is my favourite because of the balancing and build variety available to the player is so insane compared to the other games.

Don't be afraid to upgrade weapons, basic materials are very plentiful :D

Can't wait for ds3 though because it seems to take an even greater emphasis on variety :D

Anon67

Agreed!

What weapon were you using? Not the fire longsword I hope? ;)

Typically it's not a good idea. But, hexes are spell that scale with both intelligence and faith, and they are very powerful if you upgrade and infuse the proper staff/chime for it, so if you don't know what to do in NG+ that could be an idea.

Wait what? That's why you were doing so little damage... no wonder you needed to rely on magic! :O Or did you mean "I didn't max out"? I can't believe you beat the entire game with +0 weapons...

Go for it. The Red Iron Twinblade is probably the best weapon in the entire game. You can't go wrong with it. Especially if you levelled up strength a lot as it scales best with STR. That said, I have a faith build who used it too, infused with lightning, and it was very good then too.

Maybe try applying poison coating to your weapon? The twinblade has multiple hits so it should help with damage sponges. Personally, I like fishing for backstabs on those NPC invaders.

Proceed cautiously, lure them with a bow or crossbow if needed. Never really had to fight 4+ at once, myself. Wear the stone ring to help with staggering them.

Glad you enjoy the game btw! Refreshing to see a positive LTTP for once. :)

I'm pretty sure I was using a longsword or a broadsword when I fought Smelter.

Okay to be far, I did upgrade the Halberd to +4 but I stopped using it completely after a very short time because I hated it. I can say that for about 98% of my playthrough, I only used 0+ weapons.

Thank you for the info and tips!

Did you play the DLC areas OP? If not get onto this asap :)

Not yet. I will most definitely play through them in NG+. Because DS3 is coming out soon and because I have exams coming up, I'll probably start the DLC some time in the summer.

What the hell! Dude, the game gives you more than enough materials to fully upgrade a couple of weapons per playthrough, plus you can buy Titanite, too.

I'm one of those people who hoards power weapons and never uses them in shooter and RPG games lol.

Yes, quite the mystery as to why you were doing so little damage. I believe we should get Sherlock Holmes on the case.

I had zero issues with other bosses (excluding the Ancient Dragon for obvious reasons) when it came to melee. Just to clarify, I chose to use magic instead of melee with certain bosses to avoid getting hit. And using magic was viable since I could deal a good amount of damage.

RevenWolf

I'm pretty sure I was using a longsword or a broadsword when I fought Smelter.

Okay to be far, I did upgrade the Halberd to +4 but I stopped using it completely after a very short time because I hated it. I can say that for about 98% of my playthrough, I only used 0+ weapons.

Thank you for the info and tips!

Not yet. I will most definitely play through them in NG+. Because DS3 is coming out soon and because I have exams coming up, I'll probably start the DLC some time in the summer.

I'm one of those people who hoards power weapons and never uses them in shooter and RPG games lol.

I had zero issues with other bosses (excluding the Ancient Dragon for obvious reasons) when it came to melee. Just to clarify, I chose to use magic instead of melee with certain bosses to avoid getting hit. And using magic was viable since I could deal a good amount of damage.

It's just funny because the vendors late game literally sell infinite stock of upgrade materials for weapons to reach +8-9 so literally saving up the materials wasn't necessary since you could stockpile them infinitely and still have everything upgrades lol.

Anon67

It's just funny because the vendors late game literally sell infinite stock of upgrade materials for weapons to reach +8-9 so literally saving up the materials wasn't necessary since you could stockpile them infinitely and still have everything upgrades lol.

These late game vendors would be who, exactly?

Nev

Banned
The only good levels are in the DLC but even those are not as fun as they could be because the combat and enemy encounter design are trash. The main game is mediocre at best. Maybe if you haven't played the other games it isn't as bad, otherwise it's a terrible follow-up that feels like the first Souls game and not the third.

All signs point at DSIII being the actual sequel to Dark Souls though and I'm glad for it, I just wish this thing wasn't called Dark Souls II and just had a spin-off title so no more poor players are fooled thinking they're going to play a real sequel to DaS.

The problem with the bosses is not that they're mostly armored guys with swords, it's that they are uninspired, redundant and worst of all, easier than killing all of the guards in every city of Assassin's Creed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
DS 2 hate
Zzzz. You had your own LTTP thread hatefest so could please leave this thread alone? e_e

McDuff sells infinite large shards from the get-go, and Chloanne eventually sells infinite shards, large shards, and I think even chunks, plus slabs are plentiful too.

DS2 is seriously the game in the series where upgrade materials are the most plentiful.

Anon67

The regular ones in town. The vendors stock updates as you progress through the game.

Oh...

The only good levels are in the DLC but even those are not as fun as they could be because the combat and enemy encounter design are trash. The main game is mediocre at best. Maybe if you haven't played the other games it isn't as bad, otherwise it's a terrible follow-up that feels like the first Souls game and not the third.

All signs point at DSIII being the actual sequel to Dark Souls though and I'm glad for it, I just wish this thing wasn't called Dark Souls II and just had a spin-off title so no more poor players are fooled thinking they're going to play a real sequel to DaS.

Alright, so that does mean I have bad taste in games or something? I really enjoyed DS2.

Chloanne, the lady in Harvest Valley. She will move to Majula if you buy enough of her stuff. Eventually she sells infinite (Large) Titanite Shards/Chunks. Plus, you can get chunks from killing Bell Keeper invaders or by being one and completing successful invasions.

RevenWolf

Oh...

Alright, so that does mean I have bad taste in games or something? I really enjoyed DS2.

Nope, some people just live in extremes, if it's not better or not quite as good as the original then it sucks, and they magnify every flaw (including the ones the original had while conveniently ignoring that fact)

You get used to it after awhile.

Anon67

McDuff sells infinite large shards from the get-go, and Chloanne eventually sells infinite shards, large shards, and I think even chunks, plus slabs are plentiful too.

DS2 is seriously the game in the series where upgrade materials are the most plentiful.

As mentioned by the others, all stock updates as you progress, and chloanne (rock girl) has by far the most options for upgrade materials by end game.

Chloanne, the lady in Harvest Valley. She will move to Majula if you buy enough of her stuff. Eventually she sells infinite (Large) Titanite Shards/Chunks. Plus, you can get chunks from killing Bell Keeper invaders or by being one and completing successful invasions.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks guys.

The game's quality was not very high. I made that conclusion without even knowing that a B-Team made it. It shows and I'm sure a lot of users on the board would agree just as much disagree. There are some great ideas but that's it. The execution of Dark Souls 2's design is not very good and I would say it's an overall disappointment to me eprsonally.

Same here and I went into it really wanting to enjoy it. Maybe it's because I played Scholars but the game had some glaring flaws that I couldn't overlook. Imo I don't think it's a very good game

OP the DLC is supposed to be fantastic. You should have probably player that instead of starting NG+

Absolutely not.

There are actually some really good areas in the base game, as someone who vastly enjoys Dark Souls 1 more than 2. My favorites are the Lost Bastille and most of the Forest of Fallen Giants. So much exploring to be done and so many twists, turns, and shortcuts.
Definitely go play the DLC! They have some of the most interesting items and areas in the game.

psychotron

I'm currently in the middle of Dark Souls 2:SOTFS, and I'm really enjoying it. EpicNameBro is the man when it comes to helpful YouTube videos. Though he's playing the original, and it can lead to some tough situations, like an otherwise empty room for him having poison containers and huge enemies for you.

Currently, I'm at a spot in The Lost Bastille, where he was able to just walk though, but I'm stuck with a petrified statue in the way. I guess I'll farm some souls and buy a fragrant branch of yore from
Melencia
. I hope she sells more than one because I've purchased one already.

ramyeon

I'm currently in the middle of Dark Souls 2:SOTFS, and I'm really enjoying it. EpicNameBro is the man when it comes to helpful YouTube videos. Though he's playing the original, and it can lead to some tough situations, like an otherwise empty room for him having poison containers and huge enemies for you.

Currently, I'm at a spot in The Lost Bastille, where he was able to just walk though, but I'm stuck with a petrified statue in the way. I guess I'll farm some souls and buy a fragrant branch of yore from
Melencia
Gating stuff off with Fragrant Branches is such a perplexing design choice in SoTFS.

She only stocks one - you need to find others around the world.

KidB

People saying that it's a bad game are overreacting. DeS, DS and BB are far superior, but DS2 is a great game even for someone like me who doesn't play PvP.
The lack of an interconnected world is a bummer and the areas themselves are for the most part lacking compared to the other entries in the series, but there are some good ones and the main DLC areas are among the best in the series.
People conplain about the enemy placement, but I didn't have any problems with it (I've only played SotfS). What I did have a problem with were the bosses, most of which are boring and very easy to beat on the first try, even though there are some exceptions, mainly in the DLC.
One of my main problems with DS2 is the art direction. Other than a select few areas, like the 3 DLC main areas, Majula, Heide's Tower, Lost Bastille, Iron Keep, Aldia's Keep, Drangleic castle and of course the beatiful Dragon Aerie, everything else felt uninspired. Furthermore, the art style seems all over the place in terms of environmental design, as if different artists designed different areas without ever seeing each other's work.

RevenWolf

Melencia

I think she only sells one :( but in sotfs the branches are significantly more common so if one road is blocked find a different one.

Also if you haven't already since buying the branch from the seller, talk to her with the talk option a few times to get a special treat :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Nope. It means you have good taste in games.

Dark Souls 2 is better than the first in some ways, worse in others.

I think the first game was better overall, but not by much.

SilentRob

For me, there is one comparison really showing why I dislike Dark Souls 2 so much. This is important: I'm not saying that THIS specific example is the one reason I have big problems with the game. I think this game just encapusaltes many of the problems I have with it, especially regarding the lore, atmosphere and world design. EDIT: I probably should have bolded this part. And put a few exclamation marks in there because people seem to entirely ignore it. I further explained this one page further, in case you're interested.

In Dark Souls I fought my way through a huge, impressive looking castle. There was a member of the king's family waiting inside there, in a chamber that looked like this:

latest

Yup! Looks pretty royal to me!

Now, how would a throne room look in Dark Souls 2? Maybe a little more drab because the kingdom has been crushed? Withered beauty and all? Well, nope, instead it's just a square room with a few pillars and two thrones at the other end:

CDEgqj8WEAA__Fz.jpg

These utterly empty square rooms are ALL OVER Dark Souls 2. Just empty square rooms with maybe a few probs inside them. At times I felt like I was running through some randomly generated environments because they looked so slapped together. Especially the castle is full of those rooms that make absolutely no sense in the game world, neither asthetically, nor architectural. This stuff is the exact opposite of everything Dark Souls stands for.

psychotron

I think she only sells one :( but in sotfs the branches are significantly more common so if one road is blocked find a different one.

Also if you haven't already since buying the branch from the seller, talk to her with the talk option a few times to get a special treat :D

Did that, thanks :)

Damn, I have no idea where to look for more and I want to fight the boss. Balls!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Did that, thanks :)

Damn, I have no idea where to look for more and I want to fight the boss. Balls!
You can skip the boss and go to Sinner's Rise if you enter through the No Man's Wharf route and find the shortcut, there's another branch in there

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
These utterly empty square rooms are ALL OVER Dark Souls 2. Just empty square rooms with maybe a few probs inside them. Especially the castle is full of those rooms that make absolutely no sense in the game world, neither asthetically, nor architectural. This stuff is the exact opposite of everything Dark Souls stands for.

Yeah, Dark Souls never had empty square rooms with a few props.

Or maybe it's time people started making categorical statement about "what Dark Souls stands for" as if they even knew what they were talking about? lol.

Why are you in this thread btw?

Randam

For me, there is one comparison really showing why I dislike Dark Souls 2 so much. This is important: I'm not saying that THIS specific example is the one reason I have big problems with the game. I think this game just encapusaltes many of the problems I have with it, especially regarding the lore, atmosphere and world design.

In Dark Souls I fought my way through a huge, impressive looking castle. There was a member of the king's family waiting inside there, in a chamber that looked like this:

latest

Now, how would a throne room look in Dark Souls 2? Maybe a little more drab because the kingdom has been crushed? Withered beauty and all? Well, nope, instead it's just a square room with a few pillars and two thrones at the other end:

CDEgqj8WEAA__Fz.jpg

These utterly empty square rooms are ALL OVER Dark Souls 2. Just empty square rooms with maybe a few probs inside them. At times I felt like I was running through some randomly generated environments because they looked so slapped together. Especially the castle is full of those rooms that make absolutely no sense in the game world, neither asthetically, nor architectural. This stuff is the exact opposite of everything Dark Souls stands for.

DS2 is so ugly in comparison..

WX3

Yeah, Dark Souls never had empty square rooms with a few props.

Or maybe it's time people started making categorical statement about "what Dark Souls stands for" as if they even knew what they were talking about? lol.

Why are you in this thread btw?
Dude never made it to Anor Londo...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You could have no idea that the developers were different and could still tell it's a bad game.

Being worse then Dark Souls doesn't make it a bad game. The hyperbole around here for DS2 is utterly absurd.

If Dark Souls is a 10/10 then DS2 is like an 8.5. "Bad". Give me a fucking break.

Mman235

Holy shit man, DS3 is not even out in the West, if this is a spoiler I'm gonna be really fucking pissed.

Given that that poster has spent half the DS3 thread trying to deny even the most blatant DS2 references and wilfully misinterpreting that game's lore you probably don't have much to worry about.

For me, there is one comparison really showing why I dislike Dark Souls 2 so much. This is important: I'm not saying that THIS specific example is the one reason I have big problems with the game. I think this game just encapusaltes many of the problems I have with it, especially regarding the lore, atmosphere and world design.

latest

CDEgqj8WEAA__Fz.jpg

Are you really trying to disingenuously compare one of THE reveals in Dark Souls 1 with an unimportant room in 2? How about comparing to the castle reveal itself or
Vendrick's resting place
which are both much more comparable moments in terms of story importance and their position in it.

Truant

How do I actually start the DLC stuff? I've entered three snake like portals, but I can't do shit? I'm playing SotFS btw. I'm currently at Aldia's Keep.

Top Bottom