• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls 2

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping this has a big 75% off sale before Dark Souls III, it has been £11 on Steam before but I must have missed it.

RevenWolf

I was hoping to have this beat for the DS3 release, but I'm doubting that'll happen now. I only get about 1-2 hours a night to play.

Yeah it might be hard, I think you'd be able to hit the final boss by then if you manage to add some areas, but the dlc I think there's no chance, it's the best designed but also the most challenging part of the game.

I loved dark Souls 2. It's the only Souls game I've completed my second play through of.

When I tried playing Dark Souls the second time, I got to the tomb of the giants and just couldn't be bothered going through that section again after grinding my way through the catacombs which I didn't enjoy either. I wish those sections weren't back to back.

Second play through of demons Souls stopped after boletaria. I'd completely forgotten about world tendency for that game, and I really didn't enjoy that mechanic.

Playing through Bloodborne a second time now, mainly to play the old hunters dlc. I'm on new game+ and just got to the first boss of the dlc and it feels impossible to beat. So I'm hoping this isn't where my second play through of Bloodborne ends. I'm using the blades of Mercy for anyone that's interested with high Dex/arcane build.

I also played Lords of the Fallen through to completion 3 times. Does this mean that dark Souls 2 and Lord of the Fallen are my favourite Souls experiences?? I'll be such an outcast :(

Dark Souls 2 honestly gave me King's Field vibes more than the rest of the series ever did. The environments were more earthy/green and the world withering away and less "horror" like the rest of the series aside from a couple of areas and in that way felt more inspired by KF. I was disappointed with the game upon release but it has grown on me over time and the PS4 release with the redesign/fixes is making me like the game a fair bit more now too. Actually understanding what stats do what now helps a lot too. As does being a magic user, I think this game was built very much for magic users and enjoying much more now than when I went all in on a melee build on my first playthrough.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Playing through Bloodborne a second time now, mainly to play the old hunters dlc. I'm on new game+ and just got to the first boss of the dlc and it feels impossible to beat. So I'm hoping this isn't where my second play through of Bloodborne ends. I'm using the blades of Mercy for anyone that's interested with high Dex/arcane build.

The Old Hunters on NG+ can be rather brutal. I, too, used the BoM (Dex/Bloodtinge), and it was hard going for most of the bosses, so it's not just you.

The Old Hunters on NG+ can be rather brutal. I, too, used the BoM (Dex/Bloodtinge), and it was hard going for most of the bosses, so it's not just you.
Ok cool thanks. I might just start a fresh play through then. I wouldn't mind using a different build anyway, just to try some other weapons.

Mman235

Dark Souls 2 honestly gave me King's Field vibes more than the rest of the series ever did.

Yeah I played King's Field 2 and 3 (in non-US terms) in the lead up to Dark Souls 2's release and that made the more overt King's Field references obvious. In particular all the weird underground graveyard stuff in Undead Crypt is pretty much straight up a King's Field map.

psychotron

I beat the
smelter demon
tonight on my first shot, then the fucking Persuer showed up again and beat my ass twice. He's much harder this time.

Novocaine

No I don't think so. I'm currently rocking a +4 or 5 Dragon Parma. I'm also sporting upgraded Alonne Knight armor and Vangarle's Helm. I'm sure I spelled some of that wrong.

It's not a shield you want to use all the time, just when you want to spam parry.

Played through to drangleic castle twice but never finished the final boss on either run

Ran Miracle/str build first (pre nerf when lightning bolts were still good), then a Hex/magic build. IMO the vanilla game was very good, but not great. Very uneven. Some of the locations were a bit too generic and not memorable in relation to other Souls games. Same thing for the bosses; DSII had a lot of bosses but some felt cheap and the hit boxes never felt quite right.

I think the first half of DaS1+Artorias of the Abyss and Bloodborne+Old Hunters is the high water mark. Hoping DSIII can match that benchmark

Anon67

I started doing PvP at Iron Keep and man I suck lol. It's fun but I've only won 1 duel out of ~8. I feel like the twinblades that I use are too slow (as in, the slash animation is so long) so I guess I should try something a bit quicker?

RevenWolf

I just looked it up and I probably do have it in my inventory. So you recommend parrying his attacks?

Personally I just dodge to he left, side strafing his left side and rolling when needed destroys him.

Every time I see him I go "sweet free shit!" Lol.

Personally I feel that instead of partying just do those dodges, once he finishes one of his 3 hit combos you have time for 1-3 hits depending on weapon and stamina.

Just make sure you have enough stamina for one emergency roll at all times, once you start getting it, he'll be easier then the last giant and you'll beat him without a scratch forever.

Hoping this has a big 75% off sale before Dark Souls III, it has been £11 on Steam before but I must have missed it.

i got it for 7€.

Payment fee $ 0.57
P-WSG2P-16281 Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition STEAM CD-KEY GLOBAL 8-01-2016 $ 7.72
Grand Total $ 8.29

:)

g2a or kinguin sometimes have deals.

Ferr986

I started doing PvP at Iron Keep and man I suck lol. It's fun but I've only won 1 duel out of ~8. I feel like the twinblades that I use are too slow (as in, the slash animation is so long) so I guess I should try something a bit quicker?

Yeah twinblades are good for PvE but not so much on PvP. They're too easy to get parried.

If you want fast weapons look into Rapiers and Katanas IMO.

Yeah I played King's Field 2 and 3 (in non-US terms) in the lead up to Dark Souls 2's release and that made the more overt King's Field references obvious. In particular all the weird underground graveyard stuff in Undead Crypt is pretty much straight up a King's Field map.

Undead Crypt, Shaded Woods, Door of Pharos, Earthen Peak and Harvest Valley would all fit right in with a new King's Field game (they're very KF esque). If they ever decide to make KF (or game in that style) I think Yui Tanimura and the rest of the team who worked on Dark Souls 2 would be good candidates for sure to make it. It honestly seemed like at times it was odds whether it wanted to be a Dark Souls sequel or a KF game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
i got it for 7€.

Payment fee $ 0.57
P-WSG2P-16281 Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition STEAM CD-KEY GLOBAL 8-01-2016 $ 7.72
Grand Total $ 8.29

:)

g2a or kinguin sometimes have deals.

That's the first game.

psychotron

Made some real progress today.
Took out the Persuer after Smelter Demon, then beat the Old Iron King. Then said fuck it and took a shot at the Gargoyles ..... and got it on the first shot!
Damn happy tonight.

III-V

Undead Crypt, Shaded Woods, Door of Pharos, Earthen Peak and Harvest Valley would all fit right in with a new King's Field game (they're very KF esque). If they ever decide to make KF (or game in that style) I think Yui Tanimura and the rest of the team who worked on Dark Souls 2 would be good candidates for sure to make it. It honestly seemed like at times it was odds whether it wanted to be a Dark Souls sequel or a KF game.

I had no idea. Has anyone compiled lore references from KF to DaSII? I would be really interested.

Firebrand

How far do you have to play to get to the DLC (I've played vanilla DS2 before, quite a lot of it)? Not sure I should burn myself out on Souls this close to DS3...

RevenWolf

How far do you have to play to get to the DLC (I've played vanilla DS2 before, quite a lot of it)? Not sure I should burn myself out on Souls this close to DS3...

It's pretty late game stuff unless you are extremely good at it. You could have access to it before
drangleic castle
and if your souls lvl is 90-120 you should be fine.

Depending on how good you are you could reach it in about 9 hours or less (my time was about this anount to hit endhsmihg rushing).

If your not confident with that having a friend to coop the bosses and areas with will also greatly reduce the time to reach it.

Novocaine

It's best done at close to the end of the game. It takes a good chunk of the game to get access to the areas as well.

psychotron

It's pretty late game stuff unless you are extremely good at it. You could have access to it before
drangleic castle
and if your souls lvl is 90-120 you should be fine.

Depending on how good you are you could reach it in about 9 hours or less (my time was about this anount to hit endhsmihg rushing).

If your not confident with that having a friend to coop the bosses and areas with will also greatly reduce the time to reach it.

After I beat
the old iron King today, there was a room after the bonfire that doesn't seem to be there in vanilla DaS2. There was a snake fountain that took me to a snowy mountain.
Where am I? Lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
After I beat
the old iron King today, there was a room after the bonfire that doesn't seem to be there in vanilla DaS2. There was a snake fountain that took me to a snowy mountain.
Where am I? Lol.
That's one of the DLC areas. Do you mean an ashy mountain, rather than snow? That's the Crown of the Old Iron King, 2nd DLC.

RevenWolf

After I beat
Where am I? Lol.

Lol
you just entered a dlc area :p without finding the proper key everything will be super hard to see because of a storm :p if things look easy to see congratulations you have the key! But it's pretty hard you might want to try it later :)

as pointed out, it might be ash instead of snow a bit of a difference, but I would suggest coming back later all the same.

psychotron

That's one of the DLC areas. Do you mean an ashy mountain, rather than snow? That's the Crown of the Old Iron King, 2nd DLC.

Yeah that's more likely right, because there were these things that were planted firmly in the ground, that caused fire to burst from the ground all over.

Lol
you just entered a dlc area :p without finding the proper key everything will be super hard to see because of a storm :p if things look easy to see congratulations you have the key! But it's pretty hard you might want to try it later :)

as pointed out, it might be ash instead of snow a bit of a difference, but I would suggest coming back later all the same.

I can see! Lol. I'll come back later though.

RevenWolf

Yeah that's more likely right, because there were these things that were planted firmly in the ground, that caused fire to burst from the ground all over.

I can see! Lol. I'll come back later though.

Ah yeah the seeing is for the snow one :p and yeah those get important real fast to that level XD, where are you off to next? :)

I loved Demons and DaS1 and I nearly skipped this game because of the negativity expressed here. I'm glad I bought SOTFS this week, I'm sure some grievances were patched up at this point because the game is fine for me.

The Souls/Borne games are one of those series where it's difficult for me to rank the games. One thing I have to say I disliked about this is the graphics, but I'm enjoying it.

Top Bottom