• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls 2

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dex kind of gets screwed over in Dark Souls 1 and Salt and Sanctuary too. It's viable but probably the "weakest" overall. It's only in Demon's Souls and Bloodborne that it's the best/strongest build. :D

Also, damn, the ignore feature doesn't work when the ignored person gets quoted by others. Haha oh well. xD

ZangBa

Dex kind of gets screwed over in Dark Souls 1 and Salt and Sanctuary too. It's viable but probably the "weakest" overall. It's only in Demon's Souls and Bloodborne that it's the best/strongest build. :D

Also, damn, the ignore feature doesn't work when the ignored person gets quoted by others. Haha oh well. xD

Pretty powerful in DeS, and even though I do Dex as my primary build most of the time, I can't say no to the Dragon Bone Smasher. It's so ridiculously good against everything. Dual katana push combos were pretty dirty in PvP, though.

Also, Ludwig's Holy Blade is probably the best for Bloodborne PvE. Everything just feels so easy with it. Didn't help that Bloodborne kept giving away Strength based weapons like candy during a normal playthrough, while Dex weapons are a bit more difficult to come across. :/

III-V

DaS2 is a great game and SOTFS w/DLC makes it better. The lore was good as well, although not as cohesive as DaS1.

I am hoping that DaS3 will not abandon the game world of DaS2 in terms of lore, but instead tie the trilogy together.

RevenWolf

Pretty powerful in DeS, and even though I do Dex as my primary build most of the time, I can't say no to the Dragon Bone Smasher. It's so ridiculously good against everything. Dual katana push combos were pretty dirty in PvP, though.

Also, Ludwig's Holy Blade is probably the best for Bloodborne PvE. Everything just feels so easy with it. Didn't help that Bloodborne kept giving away Strength based weapons like candy during a normal playthrough, while Dex weapons are a bit more difficult to come across. :/

Pretty much, and the dlc for it didn't fix it at all since it's so late game :/

Basketball

Now that I am almost done with Dark Souls 3

I can say for sure Dark Souls 2 is garbage compared to it and the rest.

B fucking Team ... not a bad game but definitely the worst of the souls

Spoilers there is barely any references to 2 compared to 1/Demon in DS3

RevenWolf

Now that I am almost done with Dark Souls 3

I can say for sure Dark Souls 2 is garbage compared to it and the rest.

B fucking Team ... not a bad game but definitely the worst of the souls

Spoilers there is barely any references to 2 compared to 1/Demon in DS3

Wow do I need to make a bingo card for this post lol.

No actual criticism outside of insults - check
"B-team" comment- check
Unwanted ds3 minor spoiler that was called a spoiler by poster and yet still not tagged- fucking check

If you have a problem with it that's fine, but coming into a thread that was asking for advice and literally doing nothing but trash the game the op is enjoying is poor form.

Anon67

Nice post OP. It's pretty amazing you beat the game the first time with unupgraded weapons, I was actually hoping some youtubers I watch would have tried that. There are a few weapons that do pretty decent damage even unupgraded, I've had my main weapon almost break on strength builds and I'll use the Greatsword or for pure magic builds I'll use the dagger to backstab.

Thanks.

Also: ????? People keep saying that they are suprised or impressed that I didn't upgrade anything but damn despite that, most of the bosses are totally manageable. Yes I used magic at times but I didn't use it because it was stronger than melee; I used it to prevent being hit. Magic on average was about as strong as melee damage for certain great swords, axes, the amazing key of the embedded, etc. If I wanted to, I could have exclusively used +0 melee weapons and I would have completely the game without too much of a problem.

I also want to point out that I completed Dark Souls 1 with +0 weapons too. Ended up using a +0 Black Knight Halberd towards the end of the game, which helped a ton :).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People always bring up the kats, and yeah they rocked... but in PvP, the mightiest weapon of them all was really the estoc, which few except the die-hard SL 120 PvPers of 4-1 really realized. In fact, shield + estoc (especially purple-cursed estoc) could destroy everything, especially dual kats! xD

True, but the threaded cane, blades of mercy, and of course the Rakuyo are all incredibly good weapons, plus the fact that a higher Skill stat makes your Visceral attacks way stronger, I dare say Skill is top-tier in Bloodborne. Not that BB has many tiers of builds since it has, what, like 4 possible builds... xD

borderline-spoiler shitpost about DS2 and DS3
No one asked you.

RevenWolf

Thanks.

Also: ????? People keep saying that they are suprised or impressed that I didn't upgrade anything but damn despite that, most of the bosses are totally manageable. Yes I used magic at times but I didn't use it because it was stronger than melee; I used it to prevent being hit. Magic on average was about as strong as melee damage for certain great swords, axes, the amazing key of the embedded, etc. If I wanted to, I could have exclusively used +0 melee weapons and I would have completely the game without too much of a problem.

I also want to point out that I completed Dark Souls 1 with +0 weapons too. Ended up using a +0 Black Knight Halberd towards the end of the game, which helped a ton :).

I can honestly say it's very impressive what you did op :) I've put unreasonable hours into both and can honestly say I never wanted to do a +0 weapon run, it would frustrate me too much haha

ZangBa

True, but the threaded cane, blades of mercy, and of course the Rakuyo are all incredibly good weapons, plus the fact that a higher Skill stat makes your Visceral attacks way stronger, I dare say Skill is top-tier in Bloodborne. Not that BB has many tiers of builds since it has, what, like 4 possible builds... xD

I agree, it just sucks your stuck with the cane for a long time before you start finding other Skill weapons. Blades of Mercy being tied to a questline I didn't know about until I was nearly done with the game, and Rakuyo also hidden behind a really annoying encounter all the way at the end of the DLC. :C

I guess there's the Rifle Spear, but that's only like half Skill, half Bloodtinge and kinda boring. Well, at least for me.

RevenWolf

I agree, it just sucks your stuck with the cane for a long time before you start finding other Skill weapons. Blades of Mercy being tied to a questline I didn't know about until I was nearly done with the game, and Rakuyo also hidden behind a really annoying encounter all the way at the end of the DLC. :C

I guess there's the Rifle Spear, but that's only like half Skill, half Bloodtinge and kinda boring. Well, at least for me.

Yeah, tbh I find that most of the interesting weapons are either late game or in the dlc which is also late game :/ makes it hard to figure out a build when I want to try them first :(

Nev

Banned
I get through DaS by basically backstabbing absolutely everything. It's easier to backstab in that game.

Yeah. At least there's some timing involved in DaS2. In DaS1 you just hold the stick to the right lol.

This has to be trolling at this point, right? The undead knights are ridiculously easy to fight and backstab, way more than the DS2 invaders. Even the Black Knights can very easily be backstabbed.

Normal enemies can roll in DaS/DeS? Which version of the game did you play 'cause it's definitely not the one I played. Some NPC/NPC invaders do (and they do the same in DaS2), but normal enemies don't. And I don't get how they are less predictable, they are extremely predictable.

Most enemies don't have infinite stamina in DaS2 either but you've been talking a whole lot of nonsense for the past few posts so at this point I'm starting to assume you're just trolling.

The more you talk more i'm convinced you didn't play either of the games?
DS1 is notoriously easier to backstab. The backstab "window" is bigger. Some of the enemies can basically be backstabbed from the side and the game will reallign you automatically.

And what "normal enemies" are you talking about? The only ones that roll are human NPCs and invaders... so the same as DS2...

I'm the one trolling but people can't remember early game trash mobs in the undead burg doing Bloodborne sidestepping or just literal rolling like the skeletons in shrine of the storms.

Let's see how much harder it is to backstab in Dark Souls II and how it doesn't realign enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHQL9IwCus&feature=youtu.be

So, basically 2 legit missed backstabs because the enemies get out of range, with plenty of other missed or just not executed due to inconsistent hit detection because of different elevation, despite being directly behind the enemy and having performed backstabs when I wasn't even behind his back just seconds before.

Still manage to get through a whole section of a late game DLC area with bonfire ascetic used. Oh and by the way there's no rolling, sprinting or locking on, I didn't want to make it 100% trivial. On the other hand I tried getting to the gargolyes in Dark Souls doing the same no sprint, no roll, no lock-on run and every mob except the crossbow users was hitting me at least once before I could backstab them, I didn't even get to the gangbang upstairs.

"But you got hit here too!!" Yeah, by one guy I couldn't backstab because he was in a different terrain elevation and the game doesn't work consistently. And I too got hit once by another guy who rushed at me, that makes like two out of fifteen enemies, including alledgedly high level enemies like the lance and shield ones that are supposed to have good AI and be challenging alone, while literally walking only and trying to backstab only, no rolling or sprinting. In a late game area. I guess they should've put those in hordes too like everyone else.

Don't worry if you don't want to watch the video, here you have some realigning highlights in gif form:

11ptrs.gif

11pujp.gif

My favorite:
11puet.gif

Glorious improvement indeed. Backstabbing was bad in Dark Souls, but to say it's somehow harder or less reliable in Dark Souls 2 is ridiculous when it's more than ever the best thing to do in basically every encounter, considering the fact that you can barely attack twice at a time if you want to be able to roll away from the horde of non-staggerable enemies and that it makes you invulnerable to the inevitable succession of enemy attacks.

aravuus

Mate backstabbing is not hard in ANY of the games. In fact none the games are hard if you understand how they play. Why are you even arguing such a miniscule detail?

Because he hates Dark Souls 2 with passion and feels the need to tell everyone, especially in positive DkS2 threads like this, I'd wager

Hypron

And you're persevering with that nonsense... Going as far as taking videos to "prove" your point as if we don't know how those games play and how to backstab enemies (hint: after >300 hours playing each one I know them pretty well). I could take videos to show how your more complex "AI" in Dark Souls is incredibly dumb and can't do shit against circle strafe backstabs... But since you're literally the only person I have ever seen that's actually trying to argue backstabbing is easier in DaS2 it'd just be a giant waste of time.

You're completely blinded by your dislike of the game.

Off to the ignore list because it's getting tiring.

I don't understand the hate people have for Dark Souls 2. I initially didn't love it on launch, but when SoTFS came out it drew me back in. The DLC areas are some of the best, and I enjoyed it just as much as Bloodborne.

Lum1n3s

I don't understand the hate people have for Dark Souls 2. I initially didn't love it on launch, but when SoTFS came out it drew me back in. The DLC areas are some of the best, and I enjoyed it just as much as Bloodborne.
Same here this game topped Bloodborne for me not in terms of combat but the environments. I'm also a big fan of the stat leveling the game has and am almost on my ng++ run. I think I've put 700+ hrs in and haven't regretted any of it.

aravuus

I totally understand why someone would dislike the game, but I just don't understand what it is that makes these people fill every single Souls thread with their hate. Almost like it's a personal crusade for some.

Manu

I totally understand why someone would dislike the game, but I just don't understand what it is that makes these people fill every single Souls thread with their hate. Almost like it's a personal crusade for some.

Try being a Resident Evil fan who likes all eras of the series.

Nev

Banned
Mate backstabbing is not hard in ANY of the games. In fact none the games are hard if you understand how they play. Why are you even arguing such a miniscule detail?

Because people who claim to have played 300 hours of each game and can't remember enemies movesets were saying it's harder to do it in DS2 while calling me a troll, and it's simply not true, as I have just proved with visible facts. I didn't say it's hard in either game, I said I dislike it in both.

I'm getting out of space to keep all the salt from those who instead of bringing factual evidence to back their claims like I do, go on juvenile mode and accuse people of trolling, claim to ignore me like I could give a damn about it and just get aggressive in general. Oh and just so people know, a LTTP thread isn't made so the posters can't have an opinion that differs from the OT, that's what "appreciation threads" are for, go ahead and create one if you don't want to hear criticism about the games you like.

aravuus

Oh and just so people know, a LTTP thread isn't made so the posters can't have an opinion that differs from the OT, that's what "appreciation threads" are for, go ahead and create one if you don't want to hear criticism about the games you like.

Of course not, it's a very personal sort of thread in the sense that it's all about OP's experiences and questions. Which is why the constant negativity in every single DkS2 LTTP thread baffles me - unless the OP is directly calling out the haters or whatever, exclaiming your dislike for the game in a thread like this is literally just saying "I hate the thing you like". What's the point? Life is much more fun if you're not being negative all the fucking time.

e: also please someone make a Dark Souls 2 appreciation thread, let's see how fucking negative that'll get lol

Try being a Resident Evil fan who likes all eras of the series.

I can only imagine

MUnited83

For you.
I'm the one trolling but people can't remember early game trash mobs in the undead burg doing Bloodborne sidestepping or just literal rolling like the skeletons in shrine of the storms.

Let's see how much harder it is to backstab in Dark Souls II and how it doesn't realign enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHQL9IwCus&feature=youtu.be

So, basically 2 legit missed backstabs because the enemies get out of range, with plenty of other missed or just not executed due to inconsistent hit detection because of different elevation, despite being directly behind the enemy and having performed backstabs when I wasn't even behind his back just seconds before.

Still manage to get through a whole section of a late game DLC area with bonfire ascetic used. Oh and by the way there's no rolling, sprinting or locking on, I didn't want to make it 100% trivial. On the other hand I tried getting to the gargolyes in Dark Souls doing the same no sprint, no roll, no lock-on run and every mob except the crossbow users was hitting me at least once before I could backstab them, I didn't even get to the gangbang upstairs.

"But you got hit here too!!" Yeah, by one guy I couldn't backstab because he was in a different terrain elevation and the game doesn't work consistently. And I too got hit once by another guy who rushed at me, that makes like two out of fifteen enemies, including alledgedly high level enemies like the lance and shield ones that are supposed to have good AI and be challenging alone, while literally walking only and trying to backstab only, no rolling or sprinting. In a late game area. I guess they should've put those in hordes too like everyone else.

Don't worry if you don't want to watch the video, here you have some realigning highlights in gif form:

11ptrs.gif

11pujp.gif

My favorite:
11puet.gif

Glorious improvement indeed. Backstabbing was bad in Dark Souls, but to say it's somehow harder or less reliable in Dark Souls 2 is ridiculous when it's more than ever the best thing to do in basically every encounter, considering the fact that you can barely attack twice at a time if you want to be able to roll away from the horde of non-staggerable enemies and that it makes you invulnerable to the inevitable succession of enemy attacks.
Lol, thats amazing , first because your definition of "normal enemies do rolls" seems to be literally one kind of enemy, and second because all your GIFs show how the backstabs are not as easy as DS1 by any stretch. You could literally backstab someone from the side in DS1 and the game would vacuum them to place.

saturnine

Because people who claim to have played 300 hours of each game and can't remember enemies movesets were saying it's harder to do it in DS2 while calling me a troll, and it's simply not true, as I have just proved with visible facts. I didn't say it's hard in either game, I said I dislike it in both.

ahah what facts? you cherry picked knight enemies from one of the DLC areas. I remember quite clearly how one of the first comment people made when the first DLC dropped was how easier enemies were to backstab because they were no longer on roller skates.

Ferr986

Meanwhile I can stagger the shit out of them with my Chaos Blade or Dragonrider Twinblade, to put an example.

And backstabs were more reliable on 1, no one that played extensively the two games could say otherwise.

Novocaine

I'm getting out of space to keep all the salt from those who instead of bringing factual evidence to back their claims like I do, go on juvenile mode and accuse people of trolling, claim to ignore me like I could give a damn about it and just get aggressive in general. Oh and just so people know, a LTTP thread isn't made so the posters can't have an opinion that differs from the OT, that's what "appreciation threads" are for, go ahead and create one if you don't want to hear criticism about the games you like.

Well you brought it all on yourself by coming in to the thread and shitting on the game. You're welcome to your opinion just as much as other people are welcome to call you an idiot for having it. You already wrote a giant wall of text on why you hate the game in your own LTTP thread, I'm not sure why you need to revisit it.

ZangBa

I like how literally one enemy type in Demon's Souls that rolls is proof the AI is more advanced. The AI invaders alone in DS2 are more impressive. But to be honest, all of the games have some very exploitable AI, especially Demon's Souls.

I'm not really sure what the GIFS are aiming at, I've done the same thing with backsrabs in all the games. You reminded me how cool the animation is on that Greatsword backstab, though.

If you want to nitpick bad AI/Animations, at least pick a good one. Like, those soldiers in the Shaded Woods before the Shrine of Winter. They are clearly buggy, and something is wrong with them.

Amadeusz

Neo Member

Dex is screwed over? Great Scythe may be the best PVE weapon (insane range, versatile moveset - multiple wide AoE sweeps, bleed buildup), and have you ever tried 40DEX/30FAI Falchion build?

DEX weapons, while very comparable in DPS, are also significantly lighter which makes going for fast roll easier. They also are better fit for weapon buffs, since the attack speed is often much higher.

My point is, I disagree, DEX in Dark Souls 1 was very viable.

Dex is screwed over? Great Scythe may be the best PVE weapon (insane range, versatile moveset - multiple wide AoE sweeps, bleed buildup), and have you ever tried 40DEX/30FAI Falchion build?

DEX weapons, while very comparable in DPS, are also significantly lighter which makes going for fast roll easier. They also are better fit for weapon buffs, since the attack speed is often much higher.

I don't see how it gets screwed over either. Even a basic Falchion, which people claim is obsolete because of the Gold Tracer, can completely take apart bosses with 2-handed R1. Damage output gets pretty underwhelming by NG+2, I guess.

Since the guys come out of a door they already go through a nice convenient funnel for you, you can use that to your advantage (it's quite similar to the undeads on the way to the gargoyles). That, and it's easy to just down the stairs and take the ladder to get to the boss without fighting anyone.

The multiple bosses are not new to the series though (and you don't fight all the gargoyles at the same time if done properly, it's like saying the 4 kings is a fight against 4 enemies).

I agree with the dog area being a pain in the ass (haven't done it in a long, long time though so I'm not sure what it's like anymore).

It's easy to run past basically every single enemy in both games, so that hardly matters. They can't really be funneled effectively, they'll push past each other.

The multiple bosses is a problem because it's done so poorly in Dark Souls II. It doesn't matter if the previous games had multiple enemy boss fights because they were done in a specific way. The first fight in Dark Souls that used the same boss twice was Gargoyles, except the second gargoyle 1. Starts at half health, 2. Always starts with flame breath, giving you a chance to do significant damage to it or the first gargoyle, 3. Doesn't have a tail, giving it less attack options. Whereas Dark Souls II gargoyles is just a stream of them. You simply race to kill them, same as Four Kings, except there are 6 of them so you'll end up fighting 3 at a time. It doesn't work. There are 3 enemies coming at you nonstop and beating them is a simple matter of patience, attrition, and luck. Sometimes the AI will act in a way that makes the fight, without a ranged weapon, simply impossible, at least not without repeatedly taking damage.

Same problem with Throne Guardians. They're essentially the same enemy. They behave almost exactly the same, and they're both large enemies with swords. All you can do is wait for one to leave themselves open without the other one being nearby, or hope that they attack at the same time. Contrast with Ornstein and Smough; Ornstein and Smough can occasionally be a luck-based fight depending on the AI. However, Ornstein and Smough are two relatively easy bosses who, when fought together, form a much tougher one. They're meant to complement each other, they aren't simply two bosses stuck in the same room. They each have their own weaknesses and exploitable habits.

RevenWolf

I don't see how it gets screwed over either. Even a basic Falchion, which people claim is obsolete because of the Gold Tracer, can completely take apart bosses with 2-handed R1. Damage output gets pretty underwhelming by NG+2, I guess.

It's easy to run past basically every single enemy in both games, so that hardly matters. They can't really be funneled effectively, they'll push past each other.

The multiple bosses is a problem because it's done so poorly in Dark Souls II. It doesn't matter if the previous games had multiple enemy boss fights because they were done in a specific way. The first fight in Dark Souls that used the same boss twice was Gargoyles, except the second gargoyle 1. Starts at half health, 2. Always starts with flame breath, giving you a chance to do significant damage to it or the first gargoyle, 3. Doesn't have a tail, giving it less attack options. Whereas Dark Souls II gargoyles is just a stream of them. You simply race to kill them, same as Four Kings, except there are 6 of them so you'll end up fighting 3 at a time. It doesn't work. There are 3 enemies coming at you nonstop and beating them is a simple matter of patience, attrition, and luck. Sometimes the AI will act in a way that makes the fight, without a ranged weapon, simply impossible, at least not without repeatedly taking damage.

Same problem with Throne Guardians. They're essentially the same enemy. They behave almost exactly the same, and they're both large enemies with swords. All you can do is wait for one to leave themselves open without the other one being nearby, or hope that they attack at the same time. Contrast with Ornstein and Smough; Ornstein and Smough can occasionally be a luck-based fight depending on the AI. However, Ornstein and Smough are two relatively easy bosses who, when fought together, form a much tougher one. They're meant to complement each other, they aren't simply two bosses stuck in the same room. They each have their own weaknesses and exploitable habits.

I agree that most of the multiple bosses were done poorly in ds2, I think the only one that was better thought out was the twin dragon riders, and only because he was an easy boss to begin with, and they made the second one literally have less health than your character :p

Alexm92

I'm about half way through SotFS now and I cant put it down. I dont really get the hate, sure, it's not as good as DS1 but it's still better than most modern AAA games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

1) I don't count hybrid builds. If you need a 30 FTH investment for your damage to shine it doesn't make a pure dex build OP.
2) I never said it wasn't viable, lol. But it wasn't as strong as in Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. The Great Scythe was a great weapon, I agree.
3) I played most of my Dark Souls PvE pre-patch, where dex scaling was such dogshit that making your iaito or uchi as lightning or chaos was usually better than taking it to +15, so this may colour my perception of dex somewhat.

Anyway I never said dex was bad, only that it wasn't the top-tier build like it is in Demon's Souls.

Honestly in Dark Souls, I feel like the best pure melee build is going with the black knight weapons, particularly the black knight greataxe. That thing is fast for a big weapon, doesn't have such high strength requirements, requires no buff to do monstrous damage, has strong staggering power... it's ridiculous, lol.

RevenWolf

Im focused on strength and have a longsword and shield. Pretty much the same build I use for all souls games. I'd like to try out some magic some time aswel though

You really should, they balanced magic really well, and there's quite a few sub builds you can make doing so.

What I really liked about it was they tied your agility stat to atunement (to a lesser degree) so that you can focus more on atunement than adaptability and still have good roles later in the game.

Neoweee

You really should, they balanced magic really well, and there's quite a few sub builds you can make doing so.

What I really liked about it was they tied your agility stat to atunement (to a lesser degree) so that you can focus more on atunement than adaptability and still have good roles later in the game.

Yeah. Another thing about Attunement: Faith and Pyro gain much, much more in terms of spell casts as a % than Sorc and Hexes, so a Faith/Pyro build really gets a lot of benefit from that little extra Attunement.

Neoweee

After beating Dark Souls 3 and waiting for the English release, I started another run of Dark Souls 1, gave up, and started up Dark Souls 2 again. It's holding me, again.

Sorcerer into Hex, Company of Champions, Dragonrider first so I could rush the Hex merchant.

6th character, still interestng, still challenging. I forgot how much Company of Champions changes the math with regards to spell usage and optimal early upgrades.

Novocaine

Im focused on strength and have a longsword and shield. Pretty much the same build I use for all souls games. I'd like to try out some magic some time aswel though

There are several Soul Vessels in the world per run you can find that allow you to respec, so it let's you basically try everything without having to re-roll a new character.

Alexm92

There are several Soul Vessels in the world per run you can find that allow you to respec, so it let's you basically try everything without having to re-roll a new character.

Cool. I have one soul vessel but I'll probably wait until I have two so that if I dont like the magic I can go straight back to melee.

psychotron

I just made it to Iron Keep. I have nearly 30 hours in. Figured I was near the end, but apparently I'm half way if that, lol. Fuck me this game is long! That's not including DLC.

Top Bottom