• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM (2016) - Hell sure is boring

Hoo-doo

Banned
I found it boring as well, still only have 3-4 hours in and it's already a struggle to keep playing. On PC by the way, game runs and looks fantastic.

I mean, the core gameplay is pretty good but is it really just combat arena after combat arena all the way until the end? It's already getting pretty stale and formulaic and I still have like eight more hours of this stuff ahead of me?

Okay, thanks. When I get back to it I'll crank it up to Hard difficulty to see if that makes the combat more enjoyable for me. To compare it to another recent shooter, Titanfall 2's campaign absolutely needed to be played on at least Hard otherwise the combat just felt brainless. Maybe that's what I got wrong with Doom as well.

i thought the game was pretty good but then every single boss fight in the game is a huge pain in the butt, those were so frustrating it was enough for me to not even put it in the top 5 games that i played last year

Sylas

I found it boring as well, still only have 3-4 hours in and it's already a struggle to keep playing. On PC by the way, game runs and looks fantastic.

I mean, the core gameplay is pretty good but is it really just combat arena after combat arena all the way until the end? It's already getting pretty stale and formulaic and I still have like eight more hours of this stuff ahead of me?

There's a fair amount of exploration. Not a ton, but enough. If you don't like the encounters you aren't going to like the game though. It's not like Titanfall where forward momentum gets you through firefights. They're literal puzzles on higher difficulties.

Honestly OP, I don't mean to sound rude by this, but if you couldn't tell that this game would be repetitive to you in a negative way after a couple YouTube videos, then I think you just did yourself a disservice in purchasing it.

This game is getting high praise because of the repetitive gameplay loop. It's satisfying, self aware, crunchy, gorey, fast, and brutal sci-fi horror cheeze. If circle strafing for hours while cycling through weapons with a good level of difficulty sounds like a snooze fest after a while, then it's simply not for you.

Also, the FOV can be changed, the difficulty can be changed, and the AI is more than serviceable for this style of game. It's actually quite excellent in the way they flank, chase, and retreat. The game is about aggression and in your face encounters. The AI does it's job admirably by constantly putting pressure on the player. Don't know what to tell you there.

No one, including ID software, has been vague about what this game offers. I feel like you duped yourself. Sorry it doesn't click with you though, I know how that feels when you don't like something a lot of people love. For me, it's the Witcher 3. I think that game is boring garbage. I'd rather shoot demons in the fucking face for hours. That return to simplicity and old school gameplay design is what makes this game so refreshing and special.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Horrible FOV?
Too much back track?
Lack of depth in the level design?
04lw8_s-200x150.gif

Ha!

I was a bit underwhelmed and then I realised I was playing it wrong, tippy-toeing around looking for secrets. I was playing too slow, conditioned by years of 'more complex' FPS stuff.

Play it balls to the wall like a madman, charge in and bunnyhop about all over the place, never stop moving, remember how to circle strafe, lob rockets everywhere and get right up in the beasties faces and it suddenly all comes together. Great game.

Pretty much this is exactly what I did.

Realised I was doing it wrong, turned up the difficulty and busted into rooms blasting and shouting FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!

benzopil

That's the most sad post I read in the gaming sections for quiet some time.
Time was quiet that's for sure

Bioshock is so bad from a gameplay perspective. To compare it to Doom is just insane amounts of lunacy.

I think Doom is one of the top ten best games of all time and I didn't even Platinum it. Holy crap.
Great that people have different opinions, I guess?..
I'm not trying to say that it's bad or something. It just didn't look like "back to the roots savior of FPS games" for me. But it's great if people like it and can have pure fun from time to time.

dralla

I played the demo and found the game difficult to play on a controller. I never have problems playing FPS on a controller but this game in particular, I felt constrained. I also thought the guns felt weak and lacked punch. The seemingly repetitious nature of the game also worries me. It's a game I'd pick up when it's sub-$20. I'm not sure it's really my thing but I'd like to give it a fair shot

Toxi

Banned
Topic reminds me of something that shooters need to do more: Primarily using projectile enemies instead of hitscan enemies.

Hitscan enemies usually don't work. Their danger is entirely dependent on the AI's aiming and the amount of cover, because you can't dodge a hitscan attack, nor can you react to one you see coming. So it's basically the luck of the dice whether you get shot or not.

NAPK1NS

So, I recently adopted the game for the same reasons you did. I love a good twitch shooter i.e. Quake, Painkiller and I assumed after much affirmation that this would be an excellent version of those kinds of games.

I was not fond of the introductory moments of the game. Running around completing 4/4 objective things was not compelling.

Several hours in and I'm still finding the color palette disinteresting and the labyrinthine level design can be hard to navigate or understand. The loop of smashing computer monitors, defiling cadavers and blowing away demons is hardly interesting but the moment to moment shooting is absolutely thrilling (at times).

The momentary skirmishes of thee Imps sacrificing themselves to your shotgun hole isn't compelling. However, when the game offers a well-designed area and the music begins to ramp up the shooting can become hypnotic. Once you learn the enemy attack patters and how best to deal with each demon the shooting becomes a slipstream of precision, platforming, equipment management and health regeneration. It doesn't hurt the the game is so unabashedly gross and angry in tone.

I've yet to complete the game. I don't think its an excellent version of yesteryears twitch shooter champions. But I think its a really good one. I'd say keep playing like I did and see where you land on it.

King Kye

Banned

I will admit that the game overstays its welcome a bit.

But I do find it a bit depressing that people find a focus on undeniably good gameplay loops to be a tiresome fault in this day and age.

Maybe people should consider their mind state before popping the game in? Do you want something with a razor-sharp focus on a moment-to-moment, high-adrenaline, gameplay experience? Play DOOM.

Do you want something that tries to blend that action with a structured narrative and diverse environments? Try Titanfall 2.

Problem with having so many options in the modern landscape is that I think people take the options they're not currently wired for for granted. 20 years ago, you'd embrace a game like DOOM wholesale not just because it was good, but because you didn't have nearly as much of a choice.

Griss

I tried the demo and knew it wouldn't be for me. When all the Doom fans were singing its praises I wasn't surprised - I hated the original Doom way back in the day, so if the fans like this one as a return to form its no surprise I wouldn't. Doesn't mean it's not good, but it's not my thing at all.

Same thing with me with Street Fighter. If I hated SF2, fans going bananas over the new games shouldn't mean much to me - I have to demo the game first to see if it has changed into something I might like.

UncleMeat

I picked up the game a few weeks ago and have played the first four of five levels, always just one at a time over a few days, and I'm really struggling to get the motivation to go back and finish. I think it's good but I just feel pretty "'meh" about playing it; it's not even close to Titanfall 2's campaign for me. Hopefully you get a chance to play Tf2's campaign, OP.

King Kye

Banned
I tried the demo and knew it wouldn't be for me. When all the Doom fans were singing its praises I wasn't surprised - I hated the original Doom way back in the day, so if the fans like this one as a return to form its no surprise I wouldn't.

Same thing with me with Street Fighter. If I hated SF2, fans going bananas over the new games shouldn't mean much to me - I have to demo the game first to see if it has changed into something I might like.

This is the right attitude. Thanks for not telling us how overrated or delusional the fans are in every thread regarding these games.

I get it, this is a ploy to attract everyone that didn't enjoy Doom into one thread, and then a mod is going to come in here and ban them.

That's right, yeah?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ha!

I was a bit underwhelmed and then I realised I was playing it wrong, tippy-toeing around looking for secrets. I was playing too slow, conditioned by years of 'more complex' FPS stuff.

Play it balls to the wall like a madman, charge in and bunnyhop about all over the place, never stop moving, remember how to circle strafe, lob rockets everywhere and get right up in the beasties faces and it suddenly all comes together. Great game.

Yep.

I hate that devs keep feeling compelled to hide a bunch of secrets and collectibles in games to try to pad things, get playtimes up and increase replay value.

The game is much more fun if you blaze through it destroying every enemy in your path. Putzing around levels looking for collectibles, checking the map a bunch for missed areas etc. kills that pacing.

If someone likes that type of gameplay, by all means play it that way. If they're getting bored like the OP, try just playing it linearly and focusing on the action and bumping the difficulty if they're finding it too easy. If you still don't like it, so be it, it's just not for them I guess.

DOOM was one of the most challenging and rewarding games of last year. I agree with other people on the difficulty thing. I played on the hardest available from the get go and I got my ass kicked constantly, but finally beating a hard arena felt amazing. Crank the difficulty and have fun! :)

Jito

Banned
ok so i've just tweaked the FOV, that is much better. Just finished scaling that argent tower jesus christ that was tedious. In hell now

How could you find platforming up argent tower tedious but love Bioshock Infinite which is chock full of tedious autopilot skyrail sections?

SkPa9W7.gif

zoukka

It's a shame they didn't go all out in the simplicity and flow of the game. There is too much downtime and non-killing in the game.

Ruff

This thread is reading like people are trying to crack the brain of a person conditioned by the decade long slew of trash FPS campaigns haha.

Why is difficulty always assumed to be the reason someone might not be enjoying a game? I enjoyed Doom but i also understand OPs criticism of certain aspects of the game. I don't think changing the difficulty will make it more or less fun with some of his complaints either.

Nameless

I liked Doom a lot when if I wasn't quite as high on it as some. It definitely overstayed it's welcome by a few hours, though. Also multiplayer is abysmal and Snapmap feels like a Beta of something that could be cool in a few years.

For my money Titanfall 2 is a superior, more complete shooter in almost every regard.

zewone

I thought it was pretty good, but I think i'm about halfway through the game and I feel like I've seen just about everything. The game doesn't really change much as you progress. Every 60 minutes they'll introduce a new enemy type and that's it.

Maybe the game gets more complex at the end, but it's basically run to the next monster closet.

Tell me it's worth continuing.

Jito

Banned
Why is difficulty always assumed to be the reason someone might not be enjoying a game? I enjoyed Doom but i also understand OPs criticism of certain aspects of the game. I don't think changing the difficulty will make it more or less fun with some of his complaints either.

The game really hits its groove on a higher difficulty where you're caught at times with super low health/armour/ammo requiring the use of glory kills and chainsaw finishers to survive through it. I imagine it is pretty boring on an easier difficulty with little threat posed and no real reason to use the full game mechanics.

King Kye

Banned
I thought it was pretty good, but I think i'm about halfway through the game and I feel like I've seen just about everything. The game doesn't really change much as you progress. Every 60 minutes they'll introduce a new enemy type and that's it.

Maybe the game gets more complex at the end, but it's basically run to the next monster closet.

Tell me it's worth continuing.

Play something else.

Come back if you ever have an itch to experience the gameplay.

After Wolfenstein, another severely overrated fps game here at GAF. This ice skating keep moving run and gun rip and tear? was fun in the first 5 hours or so though.

Can't remember the last time I played a single player campaign that came anywhere DOOM for me, up there with the greatest of all time FPS campaigns. The gameplay, the soundtrack, the level design, the atmosphere, almost everything was amazing and well put together. The only flaws I had was the sound mix wasn't very good in certain areas and the ridiculous game size of 80GB with patches I don't think you can skip, at least on the PC which I brought the game for, but the latter has nothing to do with the actual game. I loved DOOM 2016, one of the rare times I didn't want to put the controller down, gameplay was so addictive it never felt like a chore to play through.

MThDvWX.gif

i5xhN2d.gif

mKZPhVN.gif

Raptomex

To those who don't like or get it, do you like the originals? It was all about circle strafing and decimating hordes of demons.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

It's not assumed.

It's because one of their complaints was that the AI was dumb. The AI gets smarter and does more things on higher difficulty, so it's worth trying to address that complaint.

You're right that he may not like it still, and that's fine. But upping difficulty to make the AI tougher, changing the field of view (since they didn't like the default) and going faster and not searching for collectibles (if they were, since they were getting bored) are three things they can try as they could improve some of the specific complains they made about the game. If those don't work, game's not for them and move on.

To those who don't like or get it, do you like the originals? It was all about circle strafing and decimating hordes of demons.

I played every first person shooter from Wolfenstein to Quake 3 Arena, Heretic to Powerslave, strafing left and right, when I was just a small little boy. The good old days.

bender

What time is it?
I loved the combat in Doom save for the Glory Kills. Everything else (Challenges, Rune Trials, Weapon Mods, Weapon/Suit/Rune upgrades, Collectibles, etc) detracted from my enjoyment of the game. I can understand why they have those systems in place but I wish it were a more focused experience.

ghostjoke

Banned
I'm really not getting this weapon switching as mentioned earlier. I'm just emptying a gun and moving on to the next as i'm not great at using that weapon wheel

What's so bad with it? I used it for the higher number keyed weapons when the pinky finger couldn't reach reliably and it worked no better or worse than any other weapon wheel. You're definitely making the combat less interesting by just using whatever is in your hand. A lot of enemies are going to become tedious bullet sponges if not abusing their weaknesses, which will lead to more scavenging, taking time away from the parts people like about it. This isn't BioShock Infinite where where whatever gun is lying around in stockpiles is the optimal weapon, there are better suited weapons to situations in DOOM, which is where the depth you're missing lies.

It really does sound like you're trying to use BioShock and its ilks' systems in a game designed more around 90s principles. Neither is objectively superior, but you don't play one type of game like the other. If you're going to continue on the modern FPS principals route, I'd advise giving up, the game isn't going to improve for you.

Raptomex

I played every first person shooter from Wolfenstein to Quake 3 Arena, Heretic to Powerslave, strafing left and right, when I was just a small little boy. The good old days.
Same. I thought Doom 2016 was a near-perfect reboot. Circle strafing, tons of demons to blow away, the gameplay and formula is almost replicated from the originals with some modern touches, obviously.

Cdammen

I love how pure the gameplay loop is. How lean it is. Shoot, move, don't stop, repeat. I don't even search the nooks and crannies, I just want to get into the next fray.

From what I have played of it, there are still lessons they should have learned from the original. For example, having the enemies contrast well with the environments. Maybe I don't have the gamma or some setting set correctly, but it takes my brain way too long to recognize enemies. I say that in relative terms, as the game wants you to respond quickly and keep track of enemies.

Top Bottom