• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM (2016) - Hell sure is boring

foxdvd

I really enjoyed Doom..not game of the year, but a solid 8 out of 10 for me...

Reading this thread...points I noticed

Please RAISE the difficulty. No joke on this one.

The game IS on a loop...as such I would only play one or two levels a day. That is all I could do when I played it.

Titanfall 2 does have an amazing campaign every bit as good as Doom...but different and VERY short. I felt like I got worth out of Doom SP alone, but if you don't plan on playing MP..skip Titanfall 2 until it is cheap.

Thaedolus

I absolutely have no idea what game Doom 2016 supposedly calls back to in people's heads. It plays absolutely nothing like the original, seriously. The way enemies, level design, and even movement work is totally different. FFS you couldn't jump.

Callbacks != clone of the original. It's a reimagining of the old games in many ways while also updating the game mechanics to modern times. Most people think id blended the old with the new at a perfect ratio.

It's also self aware like the original games in a way DOOM 3 was not. While I chided the OP in fun, I honestly do think id hit it out of the park here.

Hero

It actually is fairly short, I finished it in a single day in 2 sittings over the weekend. Traded it in shortly thereafter. Absolutely no interest in the MP.

Game has a very solid arcadey campaign. Some of the combat scenarios later are very fun and hectic. Game looks and runs beautifully on consoles oo.

Yeah, I appreciate everything the developers did with the game and if I feel if I were younger and hadn't played the other games I would be over the moon happy with the game. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea but I totally respect it and am glad that this got made in a market of CoD/Battlefield.

Apathy

I'll agree with glory kills op, like at first you think "so cool" but by the millionth time to do it it's lost any semblance of fun at all because you've seen then all so many times.

I really enjoyed Doom..not game of the year, but a solid 8 out of 10 for me...

Reading this thread...points I noticed

Please RAISE the difficulty. No joke on this one.

The game IS on a loop...as such I would only play one or two levels a day. That is all I could do when I played it.

Titanfall 2 does have an amazing campaign every bit as good as Doom...but different and VERY short. I felt like I got worth out of Doom SP alone, but if you don't plan on playing MP..skip Titanfall 2 until it is cheap.

I agree with all this, apart from the last paragraph because I've never played Titanfall 2 (and never will).

It's a fun game, but nothing mindblowing. Got pretty darn repetitive by the end as well. Also, I really shouldn't have played it on medium difficulty. Game offers zero challenge on medium.

I liked it. People say it was a lengthy campaign, but it didn't feel that long to me. It got way too much praise though compared to Wolfenstein, which I thought was the better game.

I absolutely have no idea what game Doom 2016 supposedly calls back to in people's heads. It plays absolutely nothing like the original, seriously. The way enemies, level design, and even movement work is totally different. FFS you couldn't jump.

For me its the logical progression of the series. We already have Doom 1 and 2 we don't need to remake them endlessly. Neither do we need another CoD with a Doom theme. For me it encompasses the spirit of the original games will feeling back to date as a modern game. Its not what I was expecting at all and I love it.

I feel like I'm almost backseat modding or something when I try to get people to do so but seriously it aggravates the shit out of me how many times I see people just go "nah I disagree with you" and leave.

"Wind Waker was the best Zelda"

*someone quotes him and changes it to some other title * "FTFY"

Like are we even attempting to have a discussion or are we screaming into the void here?

You know that nerdy guy you know who just bellows out how things always suck and takes his opinion to be self evident?

Gaming forums are where those guys hang out.

Callbacks != clone of the original. It's a reimagining of the old games in many ways while also updating the game mechanics to modern times. Most people think id blended the old with the new at a perfect ratio.

It's also self aware like the original games in a way DOOM 3 was not. While I chided the OP in fun, I honestly do think id hit it out of the park here.

I agree the game is self referential and calls back to the originals but I'm responding more to this idea that it's just a retread of older games, older games which literally didn't have any of what makes up the core of this game. I like the game because it wears its past on its sleeve but isn't really held down by it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lacking in depth ..... compared to Bioshock.

giphy.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I thought the game was great but id really dropped the ball in the last 3-4 levels. You can really tell they ran out of time and just assembled the last levels in speed mode.

Everything before that was amazing though. Loved the shooting and the plattforming. Got crazy Metroid Prime vibes.

Hope the improve on the level design with the next game and expand on what they have already done here.

Woo-Fu

Banned
But if you're limited for time, the next one up might be too frustrating for you as the penultimate act has some bits you'll be restarting over and over because they're that hard (the bit when you arrive into the arena on the monorail, and two Hell Knight's immediately assail you from distance, and you're surrounded by nearly every enemy in the game.

I found a spot
under the stairs where most stuff couldn't shoot at me. I felt dirty, but alive.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have a hard time getting into it but for a complaint i seem to be the only person to have; the movement controls are garbage. You literally are forced to crawl through the envoronments or sprint at super human speeds, there is no inbetween. Exploring the beautiful areas is painful and jarring between these two extreme movements. Its enough to give me motion sickness. I cant fathom how im the only one saying this either.

Bioshock infinite is the last FPS game i played that i really loved. I just find the combinations between the vigors and weapons is more interesting than strafing in circles with the crosshair pointed in the middle of the screen.
And I find the switching around of weapons in Doom a lot more interesting than vigors that aren't particularly differentiated strategically. The shooting and weapons feels weak, very bullet spongey too. There is very little enemy variety. The grenade launcher is such a wet fart in terms of impact. The level design for combat encounters (too many of them don't even include the rails) leaves much to be desired compared to Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAVoaZcN6Y#t=57s

Bioshock Infinite has dumb AI, way worse than Doom's enemies. At least Doom's enemies are all about incentivising movement.

Jito

Banned
I agree the game is self referential and calls back to the originals but I'm responding more to this idea that it's just a retread of older games, older games which literally didn't have any of what makes up the core of this game. I like the game because it wears its past on its sleeve but isn't really held down by it.

It's not that the core of the game (gonna assume you mean gameplay here) is similar to older FPS games it's the structure of the levels and the pacing that is so similar to older FPS games. FPS games these days are cutscenes and follow this guy to the next set piece laden affairs while DOOM is reminiscent of shooters that just let you explore a level and kill shit with zero interruptions.

I kind of get what OP is saying. My only issue with DOOM is constantly getting lost. I wish there were waypoints with a glowing path to them or something.

Probably the most overrated title of 2016. It's still pretty fun but damn people really got high off of 90's nostalgia.

The entire charm of the game is that it's a simple kill fest shooter with 90's level design, a welcome refrain from the open world design that is so en vogue these days, but if you don't like that style it's completely understandable.

SomTervo

If you're bored you're playing on a difficulty setting that's too easy. If you still don't like it your opinion is wrong and you need to think about how you've failed in life and seek help.

So true.

Re difficulty if not the other stuff. :p

The gameplay loop becomes intense, dynamic and full of movement and speed if you play on the correct difficulty. Every enemy type needs different weapons and evasion tactics or you will die in seconds (literally).

On a difficulty too easy it's just a brain dead shoot fest.

patapuf

I'll agree with glory kills op, like at first you think "so cool" but by the millionth time to do it it's lost any semblance of fun at all because you've seen then all so many times.

Glory kills are about having to be aggressive to get health/ammo back. With the upgrade they are so quick you barely notice them.

If you feel no need to get health back through glory kills you need to up the difficulty.

Fitts

I too found the gameplay loop boring, OP. The only thing that really stood out for me was the sound design.

vio

My biggest issue with the game is level design. Still a good game, great in a sea of mediocre open world games.

SomTervo

Glory kills are about having to be aggressive to get health/ammo back. With the upgrade they are so quick you barely notice them.

If you feel no need to get health back through glory kills you need to up the difficulty.

Yep. Again, on Hard+, Glory Kills shine.

It becomes a regular occurrence that you have < 10 HP and one shot will kill you so you go for clutch glory kills to scrape HP back and fight another few seconds.

Great game.

GOOCHY

I enjoy the combat, although I agree the gameplay loop doesn't keep my attention for more than 60 min straight. I simply play it now and then and expect to be done with it eventually.

It does get fatiguing. I'm playing on the highest difficulty.

I love the game but I do agree with this. I would get fatigued playing it and have to put it down for a couple of days. Come back to it, repeat. It took me awhile to finish it.

shandy706

Play Titanfall 2 next. It's pretty darn good. I played through it on a weekend and loved every second of it, had to force myself to stop for once in a game (due to priorities). It's too short in fact...but it's fun. Reminded me of Metroid Prime mixed with Crysis mixed with a Mech Shooter.

Doom isn't bad, but I'm still working my way through the single player little by little. The audio is excellent.

R3TRODYCE

That game is pretty but legit boring and feels dated. They should use that engine on a good game because damn it runs great on my pc.

Eh, Doom is one of those games that I think get a bit overblown and then people go into with unrealistic expectations.

Its a fantastic throwback to shooters of old, probably the best Ive ever played. HOWEVER, if thats not your bag, then you probably wont enjoy it much.

Also, I found this game to be slightly a slow burn for me at first. It seems pretty unremarkable until about an hour or so in when it finally 'clicks'.

GAF seems to enjoy DOOM in general but that doesnt mean the game is for everybody.
Personally I hated Bloodborne, which is sacrilege around these parts.

I guess some people don't like fun.

GAF has been pumping this game up so much the enevitable GAF backlash was going to happen. Overwatch is probably next.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It plays great, but somehow I felt like it outstayed its welcome. Probably after my first visit to
hell
I started to feel like they were just escalating difficulty by bringing in bigger more spongy enemies.

It's hard. It really feels like a true sequel to classic Doom, but it is (was) 2016.

Edit:
Shit, forgot the spoiler tag. Really sorry if that affected anyone.

GonzoCR

DOOM for me was a breath of fresh air, first "pure" (as in, the main mechanic is shooting) FPS I've really enjoyed in a while. The high level of mobility, arena and level design and the feel of the weapons made for a great experience IMO. It does get a little stale towards the end, I think Barons of Hell should have been made much more dangerous and rarer, as near the end you're fighting like three of them at a time while surrounded by Cacodemons and Imps and it feels boring because you've killed so many of them at that point. My only other complaints are that it's ridiculously big, especially for my shitty 2 Mb/s connection, and sometimes the character would freeze up on me, like I could move the camera but couldn't do anything else. This happened even in the middle of fights and it got really annoying real fast.

Hoping its a sequel that can give it a little more variety.

I skipped doom due to the multiplayer beta being absolute garbage, but then due to some errors I managed to get the collectors edition for free. Played through it in december.

Easily the best shooter campaign I've ever played. Outside of one poorly designed encounter in the penultimate chapter it was sublime. Outside of games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry you rarely get the chance to spend fights doing cool shit and get rewarded for it. I cant believe they managed that in an FPS. Constantly swapping weapons, moving constantly, and not just strafing. Tactically moving around a battlefield to avoid enemy swarms and get advantageous positions. Finding strategies for killing different enemies with different weapons out of necessity due to ammo limitations, and all of the learning and adapting is so fucking organic to the playing experience that its fucking brilliant.

I'm so glad I came around on getting this game, and I really hope the sequel makes the multiplayer not total fucking garbage. Need multiplayer gameplay like the singleplayer, without the shitty loadouts

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bioshock is so bad from a gameplay perspective. To compare it to Doom is just insane amounts of lunacy.

Played on hard, didn't find it fun. Arena after arena after arena...

Platinumed it because I platinum everything and forgot about it forever.

I think Doom is one of the top ten best games of all time and I didn't even Platinum it. Holy crap.

BadWolf

Granted I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but after hearing so much positive about it and its gameplay I picked it up and...yeah...couldn't see what's special about it.

I think I was somewhere close to the end but it just felt like I was playing it to finish and that was it, so ended up selling it.

Top Bottom