• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy 7

Kalkano

Banned
I played through it for the first time a couple years ago, still a great game.

Nostalgia is the reason why people consider it the GOAT though. Not that it doesn't deserve to be in the conversation but I think Chrono Trigger/FF6 are better

Ridiculous. I'll never understand why people need excuses for why people disagree with them...

Enjoy the experience as much as you can... it will stick with you for a life time.

And yeah, get Yuffie and Vincent ASAP.

...... Damn I can't wait for the PS4 version :(

-Ryn

Banned
1. The translation not bothering you don't mean it wasn't bad. Many items were mistranslated (including collecting a 'final ether' in the snow mountain area), many scenes were quite hard to read and made little sense (examples include when you're first introduced to the honey bee inn).
I didn't say it didn't bother me.
It just wasn't that bad for me. I saw the quality and yes it had problems, but for the most part I had no trouble understanding what was going on or what it meant.

2. The in-game models were a train wreck then and haven't aged better today. It's clear they were trying to go with a 3D 'chibi' style akin to 2D FF games like FF6... but the results are horrid and there is no doubt why such a style was never tried again... anywhere... by anyone.
This is a subjective matter of course but I think they looked great and even now have a charm to them.

3. The cutscenes are a matter of personal preference I guess.
Can't really disagree here
But you're totally wrong :p

4. The story remark IS a legitimate one... It's tropey and does little that wasn't done elsewhere and better previously. I didn't even touch on the characters which range from decent (Cloud and Tifa especially feature a lot of growth) to terrible (Cait Sith and everything that has to do with him, his 'sacrifice', etc) And Sephiroth as a villian is just... well...
The greatest hero/villian in the universe is a gigantic mama's boy that wants to become God because... well... He does love Jenovah so much! But that's okay, Cloud will come in the end, do an Omnislash and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.
Tropes aren't bad. No story has ever not used tropes and some of the greatest works around are overflowing with them. What matters is how they're used which in this case I thought they were used extremely well.

I'm not really sure what your issue was with Cait Sith.

Sepiroth was a fallen hero (which was expanded upon greatly in Crisis Core) who had gone mad after a series of revelations about his nature and origin. The whole mother thing is just him doing what he thinks his purpose is. Continuing what she started. He doesn't even talk about his mother very much throughout the game if I recall correctly but I could be completely wrong.

5. As for Cloud being fine....
He went from a know it all, over confident, playboy to a broken shell of a human being, so finally coming around and becoming a well rounded and balanced character. Immediately afterwards Square did their best to play up the side of him which all the tweens and girls liked... The emo pretty boy. The Final Fantasy 7 movie had Cloud be so angsty it literally hurt to watch... And nothing has improved with future renditions or blips he's been in other games or segments... They broke the most interesting and well rounded character in FF7 and turned him into a 1 dimensional whiney pretty boy... I think that's pretty shitty personally.
I... can't really disagree here.
His regression in Advent Children was very
excessive. I didn't mind the concept that Cloud's guilt eventually caught up with him (he had a LOT of issues he never came to terms with in FF7 due to the fact that he didn't even remember most of them existed until 2/3 into the game). It sounded interesting.
If they had eased off and not made everything about his character so gloomy I think they could've easily pulled off a broken hero who seeks redemption. His development later on in the movie was nice to see and I still enjoyed it overall but it could've been better.

Later works he's appeared in such as Crisis Core weren't even close to his AC iteration in angst. Though it didn't stop them from playing up his guilt ridden persona a bit in stuff like Dissidia. I agree that his extreme regression was a major disappointment though. If there's a way they could fix it that would be... very nice (unlikely to happen of course).

But to each their own... As I said, FF7 is far from a terrible game... but as far as best game ever? As I said, it's not even the best Final Fantasy on PS1, let alone the best Final Fantasy/RPG/game ever.
Gotta disagree but as you said to each his own. There are certainly other games and RPGs that are brilliant master pieces though.

Junahu

I liked keeping Fury on all my characters so they use their limits more often. The damage increase wasn't that bad since the game's not too tough in the first place.

The penalty for Fury isn't actually increased damage, it's reduced accuracy. People don't realise that, because accuracy is never an issue in-game unless they use Death-Blow

Enjoy the experience as much as you can... it will stick with you for a life time.

And yeah, get Yuffie and Vincent ASAP.

...... Damn I can't wait for the PS4 version :(

It's sad how I was freaking pissed at what Square pulled at the PlayStation Experience, and now I'm anxiously waiting for the game.

AgeEighty

Not my favorite FF, but probably 2 or 3. I'm going to be replaying it for the first time in 15 years when the PS4 version hits.

Jenks

Banned
When i first witnessed FF7`s FMV running on a demo PS1 stand in a game shop the FMV blew me away, played it recently on the PS3 and the FMV made me chuckle he he.

Bought the game purely on the FMV alone i didnt even know what type of game it was, JRPG was something i was unaware even existed, never made it past the first disc found the random encounters and turn based combat repetitive.

I will give it another shake as im currently 60hours into DQVIII and really loving it, for some reason it feels a more enjoyable game then FF7.

When i first witnessed FF7`s FMV running on a demo PS1 stand in a game shop the FMV blew me away, played it recently on the PS3 and the FMV made me chuckle he he.

Bought the game purely on the FMV alone i didnt even know what type of game it was, JRPG was something i was unaware even existed, never made it past the first disc found the random encounters and turn based combat repetitive.

I will give it another shake as im currently 60hours into DQVIII and really loving it, for some reason it feels a more enjoyable game then FF7.

Somewhat unrelated I remember playing FFVIII over at a friends house and his older brother came in and made us turn it off because it was boring him and he wanted to watch something on TV.

Him being the older brother, he got what he wanted and we resorted to playing pokemon on our Gameboys while he watched some sports game. Then a commercial for FFVIII comes on that strictly shows cutscenes. Mainly the run from the spider tank and the assassination attempt. I'll never forget when my friend's brother turns to us and said, "Why don't you guys play games like this, this looks fucking awesome."

And my friend just turned and said, "Thats the game you just made us turn off you jackass."

Synless

I was thinking about this the other day, but often at work for many years now I find myself whistling Yuffie's theme song. I don't know why, but it's a damn catchy song to whistle.

antitrop

Yeah, you surely fought de Demon Door without leveling or any Strategy. The guy who one-hits any Party-member.

Can't you kill the Demon Door with a Phoenix Down?

Due to the PS1's popularity and it being the first console for a lot of gamers, they f.eel that FF7 is "the best in the series/game ever"

For someone who was gamer before the PS1, FF7 while fun, it isn't "the best".

If you want to go for story it's probably FF6. If you want to include other Square games it's Chrono Trigger by miles.

Not saying FF7 is "bad" by any means. But a lot of rose colored glasses where it's concerned.

Final Fantasy 1 on the NES was my first RPG, and Final Fantasy VII is still my favorite game ever, with Chrono Trigger a close second. I don't disagree that FF6 has a better story than 7, though.

wintermute181

Neo Member
I wish this game were a bit more challenging though, you can basically beat the entire thing with regular attacks and cure all with no grinding. The materia system while deep is never really necessary except for Ruby and Emerald weapon.

I... can't really disagree here.
His regression in Advent Children was very
excessive. I didn't mind the concept that Cloud's guilt eventually caught up with him (he had a LOT of issues he never came to terms with in FF7 due to the fact that he didn't even remember most of them existed until 2/3 into the game). It sounded interesting.
If they had eased off and not made everything about his character so gloomy I think they could've easily pulled off a broken hero who seeks redemption. His development later on in the movie was nice to see and I still enjoyed it overall but it could've been better.

Later works he's appeared in such as Crisis Core weren't even close to his AC iteration in angst. Though it didn't stop them from playing up his guilt ridden persona a bit in stuff like Dissidia. I agree that his extreme regression was a major disappointment though. If there's a way they could fix it that would be... very nice (unlikely to happen of course).
From the glimpse of him, his characterization in Dirge of Cerberus seems much better. Too bad about the rest of the game, though.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I wish this game were a bit more challenging though, you can basically beat the entire thing with regular attacks and cure all with no grinding. The materia system while deep is never really necessary except for Ruby and Emerald weapon.
This is honestly my only complaint. Your only reward for putting some planning and strategy into the Materia system is an even easier game.

Enemy Skill alone is good enough to 1-shot practically any random encounter for low MP cost.

-Ryn

Banned
From the glimpse of him, his characterization in Dirge of Cerberus seems much better. Too bad about the rest of the game, though.
That's actually the only one I haven't played but I've always wanted to. I'll have to pick it up somehow thanks :)

Is the rest of it awful?

Blablurn

I love how stupid I was back then. Even though I knew this game had several discs I was surprised as fuck when I could leave Midgar. I think no other game ever game me that feeling again.

Marceles

All I had was the demo disc from Tobal No. 1 and a 3 page preview article of the game on GamePro to go by and I was sold. The commercials didn't even play where I lived until weeks later.

Jamaro85

I'm still ashamed that I've never actually beaten this. Played it when it came out, got towards the end, and
didn't use the pocket save point in time. I exited the cave and got wrecked by the first boss.
I was so irritated that I spent hours and had nothing to show for it, not to mention that I was clearly under leveled. I can't believe I came that far and never did finish it off.

To think I was 12 when I played it and haven't played it since. I'm looking forward to getting back to this for the first time since then, when it comes out on the PS4. I never did come close to doing everything in the game, such as
defeating Emerald underwater as I didn't have the item that allowed you to breath underwater, nor did I have KOTR to possibly work him before the timer expired (I think this was possible?). Heck, I never even bred a gold chocobo.
I fully plan on getting everything I can out of the game this time around, and hope that all the time that has passed will allow me to have a fresh experience with it.

This is honestly my only complaint. Your only reward for putting some planning and strategy into the Materia system is an even easier game.

Enemy Skill alone is good enough to 1-shot practically any random encounter for low MP cost.

I think this is a bit easier to say in hindsight though, or if you had a guide at the time. If you want to learn a lot of the "tricks" for yourself, there's quite a bit of trial and error to go through first.

2445525-youtube+thumbnail.png

Time to wheel out these posts again!

02-11-2014 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100367645&postcount=64
08-22-2014 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126554585&postcount=143

The trailer below is one of the best I have ever seen for anything. It's right up there with Kubrick's trailers for Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut. No stupid voice over, displays a mix of cinematics and battle scenes that are actually edited properly. And that fucking music. God-fucking-damn that music.

Final Fantasy 7 Trailer Ps1 HQ*

On a serious level, pretty serious subject matters raised.

Prostitution, pimping, exploitation of the poor, substance addiction, sexual harassment.

Edit: I forgot Martin Heidegger turns up

Yes, a thousand times this.

I remember playing the first FF on NES back in the day but I never got very far in it (if I remember right, I never got through the Marsh Cave and got the Herb successfully). FF7 was the first game in the series I actually beat. I still term that feeling you and I got "The Midgar Effect", and it's the singular reason I didn't like FFXII,
because we never got that in XII, and I kept waiting for it to happen and then it just...kinda...ended.

Tbf a similar thing happened to me with the Gold Saucer. The idea that there was this theme park resort available for me to explore was amazing. In hindsight, there wasn't that much to do there but that doesn't really hamper the feeling of wonder and possibility at the time.

That's actually the only one I haven't played but I've always wanted to. I'll have to pick it up somehow thanks :)

Is the rest of it awful?

I didn't mind DoC when I played through it. The only thing that bugged me was some translation efforts.

"Russo the Red" for instance...

I felt like Vincent got a bit more character. Cait Sith
Reeve
got a ton more character, and the supporting cast got some nice cameos.

Also, as much as I hated the emo cloud, the older I've gotten, the more I've come to accept that it wouldn't be that far fetched.

After all the shit that went down in Mideel, he had like zero time to figure out who he was. He just knew he had a mission and that mission needed solved. In the end he thought he probably failed. Since after the game is over, they knew that Holy was going to judge the human race, and with all the deaths coming about that lead up to Advent Children, he probably assumed that what he did wasn't enough.

On a serious level, pretty serious subject matters raised.

Prostitution, pimping, exploitation of the poor, substance addiction, sexual harassment.

Edit: I forgot Martin Heidegger turns up
FFVII actually has a lot of points on some serious subject matter throughout, especially if you look at the game from a 1997 perspective. Ill only mention 1 (corporate power on civilization and economics) but there is a lot more that would be a bit spoilery to mention. The best part is that it never forces you to think about them, it just has them there are part of the world and you can roll it around in your head if you catch on.

I've finished this game only once....by cheating. Back then I had a cheating hardware device that plugged in the back of the PSX
Still want to play this game again, and complete it without any tricks.

Vorg

Banned
Beat this for the first time last year. Overall I liked it but all the shit minigames and the completely nonsensical story bring it down a bit. I also beat final Fantasy vi gba last year and thought it was a much better experience, tbqh.

I wish they would retranslate the game so that I could tell if the story really is that bad/vague. Sephiroth is also a ridiculous villain and his motivations are laughable at best. At least kefka was genuinely evil/psychotic and just wanted to watch the world burn. Sephiroth is an emotional child having a tantrum.

antitrop

Beat this for the first time last year. Overall I liked it but all the shit minigames and the completely nonsensical story bring it down a bit. I also beat final Fantasy vi gba last year and thought it was a much better experience, tbqh.

I wish they would retranslate the game so that I could tell if the story really is that bad/vague. Sephiroth is also a ridiculous villain and his motivations are laughable at best. At least kefka was genuinely evil/psychotic and just wanted to watch the world burn. Sephiroth is an emotional child having a tantrum.

I mean, Kefka was an emotional child having a tantrum, too. He's comically evil... he's a freakin' court jester.

Vorg

Banned
Well yeah, but
kefka is not all emo over his mom. He's more like the joker. He wants to watch the world burn And he actually gets his wish.
kefka is not a perfect villain but sephiroth? We don't even get to understand where all that stupid angst comes from tbqh.

Junahu

We don't even get to understand where all that stupid angst comes from tbqh
Hojo is his father. He was born simply to experiment on. He has the cells of an ancient alien that exists for destruction, festering inside him, warping his mind. He was raised as a soldier. These things would break anyone. He's not just a man that got angry one day.

Top Bottom