• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: inFAMOUS Second Son and First Light (UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR ALL INFAMOUS GAMES)

Both were good, for what they were. I went into both feeling kind of tepid about them, as I'd heard mixed things, especially about First Light. Ultimately however they both exceeded my expectations (though both were still flawed!). I might be biased - in fact I definitely am - as inFAMOUS was the first HD console game I'd ever played (came bundled with Batman: Arakham Asylum in my PS3). It was an open world I could tolerate, and the superhero stuff was fun and interesting. The story wasn't groundbreaking, but it helped propel the experience along pretty decently. I also don't think I'd played a game that really dealt with the good/evil path concept (not that I can think of), so that was a neat experience too. Of course in hindsight you realize that it's just "be a normal person or be a villain", which seemed to persist across all three of the main games. inFAMOUS 2 is still my top game of the series - a lot of neat stuff goin' on it, I enjoyed The Beast, I enjoyed Bertram (thought he was Michael Rooker!), and I really enjoyed that Nix, the "evil" partner, worked with you in the good mission, and Kuo, your "good" partner, joined The Beast out of fear of dying if The Beast does not succeed in his plan. I also give props to them for being able to actually kill off Cole, who was bankable as a recognizable character (I mean he wasn't a great character, but I think a lot of people recognize him as the face).

Ultimately though, while inFAMOUS 2 is a better game than Second Son, I liked Second Son's story and characters more. Delsin is a great protagonist - not a brooding asshole, not a paragon, just kind of a brat; Reggie's fantastic, great older brother type, and I enjoyed that he was kind of a bigoted asshole (I seriously wanted to give him a shot to the foot when he was doing his "Conduit impersonation"); Augustine was a pretty great villain I'd say; Hank I felt was a little one-dimensional and predictable but not bad; Fetch is great (and I'll elaborate later); and Eugene is also pretty good, but unfortunately doesn't get to develop quite as much as Fetch does. What I liked about the inFAMOUS games still rings true here - it's fun to fly around cityscapes, jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Everything feels on point, except it felt like the snapping technology wasn't as good (ie, the mechanic that pulls you towards something you can hang onto when you're near). It also might just be that a lot of things have weird designs that make grabbing a little harder. The introduction of various mobility options, including (and especially) Neon's is pretty awesome - they're super fast and they let you get up buildings super fast, which severely reduces this game's level of busy work. As far as superpowers go, I'd rank them...

1. Neon (My default pretty much)
2. Video (Great for sneaking in and subduing people)
3. Concrete (Haven't used it much since I've not done much after beating the game, but it seems good)
4. Smoke (Meh)

Neon is just fantastic. Super fast, super effective projectile attacks, slow-mo, and zoom. It makes it way easier to build up your super attack and your good karma (or bad karma fufufu). Video didn't get much play unless it was required or unless it seemed like the best power definitively, and Smoke? I barely used it after I got Neon. It's too slow, it doesn't feel like it has as many neat options, and ascending buildings is tougher because you have to find specific spots that take you to specific spots on top of the building. It's extra disappointing because I was so excited to have it. The ending was pretty good. Taking down Augustine - especially with the help of my buddies Fetch and Eugene - was super satisfying (as was seeing the two D.U.P. members drop to the ground and play dead). It was made especially satisfying given that she killed my brother, and I gotta say, that affected me. I was really taken aback when he died. I was actually kind of expecting it - he was being given a bit of an arc right before a dangerous situation - but not only does he die, but he dies because I (Delsin) didn't listen to him, so it doubly sucks. At least it didn't happen the way I thought it would, with some Walking Dead "save Fetch/Eugene or Reggie!" shit. I also really dig the super classy graffiti of Reggie at the end.

As for First Light, I liked it, but I am definitely glad I got it through PS+. Festival of Blood is probably a better game ultimately, but I think I liked First Blood better because I liked Fetch as a character and Neon is just fantastic. Shane wasn't the best villain either, but Laura Bailey did a pretty great job as Fetch in both games, so I felt for her when bad shit happened to her. Ultimately, I got to blow Shane up, and I was very happy. If I had to say, Fetch is definitely my favourite character in the series, and I'd love it if the next game stars her (or if not that much, at least features her prominently).

(this post was a lot longer than intended)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Hope you take time to do that manga/paper sidequest.

Some pretty solid effort went into that viral campaign.

Oddly enough, I decided to pick up and start a new playthrough of Second Son earlier this evening. I liked it! It's a good game for sure. I've liked all the games to be honest. They're all just decent, well made, fun action games. Second Son gets a lot of crap, and while it does have flaws, it's by no means a poor game. I'd definitely recommend it to any PS4 owner looking for an action game to blast through.

LakeEarth

Smoke is actually pretty great if you go the bad route. The bad karma upgrades make you feel really powerful. Meanwhile, Neon is stronger on the good route.

Chase17

I found the bad route ending unintentionally funny (in an over the top sense). Sort of disappointed with the story as a whole. Game looked great and played well!

Can't wait to see what Sucker Punch does next!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Smoke is actually pretty great if you go the bad route. The bad karma upgrades make you feel really powerful. Meanwhile, Neon is stronger on the good route.

Dat smoke shotgun tho cue banderas.gif

Had a lot of fun with Second Son and got two seperate games to the end as both good/evil so my daughter could jump in as either side whenever she wants to tool around SeaTown. You are on point with the Neon though... as far as function goes it's hands down the best for getting things done based solely on how quickly you traverse the city.

When you get the chance play around with concrete. There isn't much for a skill tree (at all? I don't remember now...) and it's complete shite that i can't charge up the power just by standing on a concrete surface (you have to suck it out of DUP guards...) but the running animation where he is solid concrete is like a mini game where you turn into a cool version of the Thing and just wreeeeeeeeeck house. Pretty fun!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If another InFamous game were to happen (which I hope for Sucker Punch's sake they don't because they should start doing other things), the Karma system needs a complete overhaul.

It's just way too "black n white" for my tastes and in addition to that, the "bad" path in all three games so far have been pretty lame in development.

lt519

I completely enjoyed the ride and would rank the powers:

1. Video
2. Neon
3. Smoke
4. Concrete

I loved going invisible and just causing havoc when appearing out of nowhere. Also those homing missiles. It was huge on Hard mode when I was under powered since I was speed running to get the Platinum. It turned out to be my greatest asset in a lot of battles. The game deserves a lot more credit than it gets, Photo mode was beautiful and spurned so many copy cats (thankfully). It may have been short and the side quests shallow, but the core traversal and combat was excellent and it is still one of the best looking games this generation. Concrete was cool but getting it after beating the game and already having 100% didn't give me much of a reason to use it. The brother dying also hit me pretty hard, for people shitting on the story a lot, I really thought that was well done. The writing was on the wall but the emotional impact was still there.

First Light exceeded all expectations I had. The arena mode was incredible along with all the challenges involved in the Platinum. I hope all Infamous games have an arena mode from here on out. The arena mode with the challenge of sustaining multipliers and getting the power ups was incredibly addicting to me.

My favourite power was Video, loved to appear, give some kick butt and dissapear again, always running in circles around my enemies.

Even though I liked the game when I played it, it left a bad taste in my mouth over time, I feel the same way on this game as with The Order, it's like they have the potential to build anything they want and they end up with some super bland story and characters (I mean super heroes and villains).

Edit: Glad I played it when it came out, couldn't do it today, for intance I hated First Light, didn't do anything for me.

PaulloDEC

Second Son is probably still my favourite PS4 game. Even after all the story stuff was done (which I really enjoyed) I spent a ton more time just tearing around the city knocking down DUP gear and taking our patrols. Just running around in that game feels great.

I'm a sucker for Smoke, too. I try to switch up a lot during combat, but I always go back to smoke in the end.

First Light was great too, if a little less fresh by the time it released. Arenas aren't my favourite thing in the world, but they were a fun little diversion from Fetch's main story (which was great too).

Literally just beat this game yesterday! It was good, but the infamous formula has gotten really stale. I miss Cole's powers. I feel like neon was was better than any of the other powers you get, and even then they should have provided more upgrades for the player.

lt519

Just running around in that game feels great.

I haven't played Just Cause or Sunset Overdrive (really want a Xbone for it) but I think the Infamous games have always had the best open world traversal of any game. It is just so fluid. Then capturing something like neon in photo mode was just so cool.

OP you visit the photo contest thread?

I don't know why, but I kinda want Cole back and not because Delsin was a bad character, he was pretty cool protag I just don't know where they are going to take franchise after the second son endings.

HardRojo

The inFAMOUS games are among my favorites ones from the PS3 era, so naturally, I was eager to play Second Son as soon as I got my PS4 (in fact I got both together). I really enjoyed it, it was a good game, but just like you OP, I believe inFAMOUS 2 is the better game of the bunch.

If another InFamous game were to happen (which I hope for Sucker Punch's sake they don't because they should start doing other things), the Karma system needs a complete overhaul.

It's just way too "black n white" for my tastes and in addition to that, the "bad" path in all three games so far have been pretty lame in development.
I don't mind it being black and white since it's a superhero game, I just wish the asshole route had a bit more branching/reactivity.

Falchion

Are you me? I literally just played Second Son and First Light this past week for the first time and absolutely loved both. Seattle rivals Gotham in Arkham Knight for most fun next gen open worlds for me.

I agree that neon was my favorite by far but video was fun and felt a little more offensively powerful. Also Fetch was such a great character and I loved getting to play through her origin story.

Are you me? I literally just played Second Son and First Light this past week for the first time and absolutely loved both. Seattle rivals Gotham in Arkham Knight for most fun next gen open worlds for me.

I agree that neon was my favorite by far but video was fun and felt a little more offensively powerful. Also Fetch was such a great character and I loved getting to play through her origin story.

This is entirely possible. I actually finished Second Son last night and First Light just a couple hours ago.

Strangely, I thought the Nyx vs. Kuo thing in Infamous 2 was kind of lame. They spend long enough establishing that the two hate each other and that one is "the good one" and the other "the bad one" that when you get to the end and they swap positions, it's not particularly revelatory. I guess you could also see that as a good thing, though, in that their decisions at the end game remain consistent with what you know of their characters even though the game paints them in a different light by the end. In hindsight I think I might actually like 2's story more than I did right after finishing it, but I still prefer Second Son in that respect.

I might need to revisit Second Son and 2 to decide, but I actually remember Second Son playing better in terms of traversal than 2. Maybe it was just because it doesn't take long before you can execute pretty big leaps and run up the sides of buildings, but I felt like I struggled a LOT more with climbing up structures in Infamous 2 than Second Son.

infous 2 is my least favourite in the series due to how much they hyped the beast (and how hyped i was to fight him) in the first game

I enjoyed second son quite a bit despite its flaws and i think most agree that video was the best power

Fisty

Severely lacking the best part of the series, unfortunately: Zeke! The evil ending of 2 was gut-wrenching for me. Zeke is the best.

Second Son was a pretty neat look at the world after the good ending of 2. But now we need to see what happens after the evil ending of 2....

Second Son was a great game. Sure it's not as good as inFamous 1 + 2, but it was fun to play.

Lately I've been getting a craving for another inFamous. The series has so much potential. Bring back UGC, keep the awesome graphics, innovate a la inFamous 2 and viola, you've got a great sequel.

I might be in the minority, but I hope they go back to having just one power that you refine as you play through the game. Electricity was incredible! And by the end of the game, you could do some pretty cool stuff. Water power anyone?

Dereck

What the fuck is Sucker Punch doing, they haven't announced shit. Are they contemplating scrapping the Second Son series because it's a little rote or are they going to make a Second Son sequel that's going to change the whole fucking industry? Who knows

pottuvoi

Banned
What the fuck is Sucker Punch doing, they haven't announced shit. Are they contemplating scrapping the Second Son series because it's a little rote or are they going to make a Second Son sequel that's going to change the whole fucking industry? Who knows
Perhaps they wait until the game is in properly playable and ready to launch within a year before announcing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'd rather they spend more time focusing on making the new powers different compared to the old one.

Nothing more disappointing than 'Well Cole has lightning grenades and lightning rockets and lightning push so Delson has.... smoke grenades and smoke rockets and smoke push'

I'd rather they spend more time focusing on making the new powers different compared to the old one.

Nothing more disappointing than 'Well Cole has lightning grenades and lightning rockets and lightning push so Delson has.... smoke grenades and smoke rockets and smoke push'

I'd like to see the next protagonist focus on some of the talked about powers, like glass and wire. Further, I'd also like to see the player-character given the ability to eventually create a giant shell like Augustine had for instance. Imagine how cool it'd be to basically have Godzilla-like matches.

I haven't played Just Cause or Sunset Overdrive (really want a Xbone for it) but I think the Infamous games have always had the best open world traversal of any game. It is just so fluid. Then capturing something like neon in photo mode was just so cool.

I enjoy getting around in Infamous, but my big issue with them is that they typically wind up being "mash X to climb" or "press circle to dash/run/fly". That's really cool, but then you miss out on a lot of the scenery because the game's movement mechanics let you move over it, instead of around and on it. Smoke was really cool in this way, because it rewarded exploring the city streets with quick access to the rooftops when you wanted (or needed) it. But once you get neon? All you need to do is pretty circle, and you're running up walls. Video felt like it was absolutely trivializing the game for me.

I'm not saying Sunset Overdrive is perfect, but I really did like how its movement system was built around skill-based movement and clever use of the environment to your ends. I feel like I really know Sunset City, because the game's world design brilliantly pushes you to take advantage of its unique architecture. I especially dug the later powers you get in the game, like being able to hang-grind and quickly sling your self up into an extra-high jump.

For the record, I adore Second Son's gameplay. It's awesome. But the Seattle in-game is not the Seattle I know. For one, it's not flat. At all. Two, there aren't even remotely that many trees on the city. My friend joked that Second Son takes place in an alternate universe where Seattle and Brier are one and the same, hence the prevalence of flat terrain, post-modern building construction, and the inexplicably located forest.

I'd like to see the next protagonist focus on some of the talked about powers, like glass and wire. Further, I'd also like to see the player-character given the ability to eventually create a giant shell like Augustine had for instance. Imagine how cool it'd be to basically have Godzilla-like matches.

Glass seems like the kind of ability that Sony would market the shit out of. Done right, that could be a graphical knockout that would wow everybody.

Skittles

I have soooo many beautiful photos of faith from first light. Such a photogenic character, delsin on the other hand...

inFAMOUS 2 did it real nice in that a lot of the places you went to were lower buildings, so you still got to appreciate the setting from there.

Honestly, I'd almost be intrigued to see Sucker Punch really bring it to the open world genre, and make it a country-wide game that you can actually explore (not to scale). It'd be a great way to introduce mechanics that let you basically create a "vehicle" out of your power. Imagine having a glass mech too - hits hard, but goes down quickly.

inFAMOUS 2 did it real nice in that a lot of the places you went to were lower buildings, so you still got to appreciate the setting from there.

Not to mention you could grind on power lines and train tracks as Cole. That never got old, and it still let you take the time to appreciate the scenery. I think it's really a testament to the worlds Sucker Punch crafts, that my main issue with Second Son is that the game constantly encourages for you to move faster than you can look at the pretty stuff. I'm okay with the whole "this isn't Seattle" thing, because frankly, I can accept there are limitations in creating a city. It's just weird that Sucker Punch's vision of the city is so... I dunno how to put this--narrow? Seattle is broad, hilly, and huge. Second Son's didn't feel that way.

mabye e3 with a release date that isn't too far off? i certainly hope so...

Moobabe

I felt like Second Son was a really great base for a game. The writing is good, acting is well done, it looks and sounds fantastic - but I felt that there wasn't quite enough to do in it.

There was, maybe, 4 per district (iirc?) but they were the same in each one. With more events, maybe some more unique side story stuff as well it could have been fantastic.

I would definitely appreciate if they used the next inFAMOUS to expand the size and reach of the game's world, but they definitely need to work on perfecting the formula more.

Also, I hope that they bring back Delsin, Fetch, and Eugene as a trio of main character protagonists. Granted their arcs are pretty much finished, but they could perhaps basically represent a group that serves as a "good D.U.P." that's trying to protect Conduits from the government and from civilians.

Top Bottom