• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario 3D World (AKA: GAF got it so, so right)

Well I played 3D world to completion single player and played a bunch of it multiplayer. There is no bubble mechanic in single player and I was comparing my experience playing both alone. As for blue star I aint even gonna get into it because that shit was never difficult or challenging and I dont wanna sit here and argue with someone saying it was.

You dont have to use the bubble mechanic in multiplayer though it auto kicks in if you separate too much. Yes it makes the game even easier. But in the grand scheme of making everything flow in multplayer I get it. Some of the levels are also basically impossible to play in multiplayer without it. (Holy shit jump switch levels)
The jump switch was such an odd mechanical change for me in 3D Land, and that they brought it back without balancing it for co-op was absolutely insane on Nintendo's part. Legitimately made me wonder what they were thinking.

Title's more than a little awkward; this is one of the most divisive games on GAF (the countless threads debating this game's quality two summers ago were hell).

Super Mario 3D World is great but I couldn't be happier EPD Tokyo is moving on from this style of Mario game.

Pretty much. Enjoyed it for what it is, but I'm ready for a new style and Odyssey is shaping up to be everything I wamted.

I'll always love Mario 64 more, but 3D World was a fun game. I really didn't care for the Galaxy games. They were great if you liked a purely linear 3d platforming experience, but I prefer a little more exploration and mystery. Mario 64 delivered such an amazing world, despite a fairly small hub, where you explored and worked your way through it all.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are like the 3d successors to Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES

Mario 64 is the 3d successor to Super Mario World on the SNES. I prefer both of these games to the former.

Mario 3D World is a weird cross between the two, which I enjoyed, but rank in between the other games mentioned for the same reasons mentioned above.

Super Mario 3D World is great but I couldn't be happier EPD Tokyo is moving on from this style of Mario game.

I hope both styles can coexist. Mario 64 is my favourite game of all time so I couldn't be more hyped for Odyssey and I've been waiting for a return to this form for... 15 years I guess? However, I still loved 3D World and its beautiful simplicity. Gimme both this gen, Nintendo.

I dunno... I bought 3D Land and 3D World six months ago... I just can't get into them.

For me, they just aren't fun.

The camera is horribly positioned for platforming. (Especially 3D Land)

The controls don't feel as tight as other Mario games...

I just really don't like them. I had decided that I would not buy any more 3D Mario games if this was the direction the were going to continue in.

I'm optimistic about Odyssey, though.

FWIW, Galaxy is my favorite 3D Mario title.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Has it been confirmed that Odyssey will be developed by EAD?

Every major 3D Mario title has been developed by Tokyo EAD going all the way back to Galaxy, and Sunshine was developed by most of the folks that ended up in Tokyo EAD.

It's been four years since Super Mario 3D World. No reason to think this isn't Tokyo EAD.

Every major 3D Mario title has been developed by Tokyo EAD going all the way back to Galaxy, and Sunshine was developed by most of the folks that ended up in Tokyo EAD.

It's been four years since Super Mario 3D World. No reason to think this isn't Tokyo EAD.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know that.

My girlfriend and I just played through SM3DW together, and it's some of the most fun I've had playing a video game in a good long while. Without thinking about it too much, it's a solid (surprise?) contender for the best Mario game I've ever played. It has all of the familiarity of digital cardinal direction Mario gameplay, but with an inventiveness, attention to graphics and sound, and overall freshness to it that the New SMB series has just been lacking after so many similar releases.

I was worried going in that with EAD Tokyo's games going in a more and more linear, simplified direction (Galaxy --> Galaxy 2 --> 3D Land --> 3D World picking up gameplay influence over time from the success of the NSMB series) that there wouldn't be the sense of wonder and open exploration that you got in 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, but the exploration is all there, you're just doing it with friends, under a time limit, which just encourages you to replay the levels more (with getting green stars feeling most of the way like exploring for secret stars/shines).

I've been playing a lot of Mario 64 lately as well, and while I've definitely been pining for another single-player-oriented, more exploration-heavy 3-D Mario game, we had SO MUCH FUN with Mario 3D World that I think I'll really miss it with Odyssey-forward if EAD abandons the SM3DW multiplayer D-pad 3-D approach and leaves 3D World as just lightning in a bottle on the Wii U.

(3D Land was great, but going back, it does lose something in comparison without 60 FPS gameplay and the D-pad option)

It's my favorite Mario game ever made and one of the best platformers of all time. Hyperbole to some but this game gave me exactly what I want from the 3D and 2D games combined in a truly special way.

Champion's Road with no tanooki suit is an experience I'll never forget.

jacobeid

Banned
I put 30 hours into 3D World last month with my cousin and we had an amazing time. The Switch presentation actually has me playing Galaxy 2 right now. I'm about 6 hours in and, man...that game is amazing too
though I still prefer one.

They're all just some of the best games ever made.

JaseMath

I dunno... I bought 3D Land and 3D World six months ago... I just can't get into them.

For me, they just aren't fun.

The camera is horribly positioned for platforming. (Especially 3D Land)

The controls don't feel as tight as other Mario games...

I just really don't like them. I had decided that I would not buy any more 3D Mario games if this was the direction the were going to continue in.

I'm optimistic about Odyssey, though.

FWIW, Galaxy is my favorite 3D Mario title.
This is my only qualm thus far. Compared to the Galaxy games and the NSMB series, Mario controls a bit too "floaty" for my tastes. Whether that's a byproduct of the kind of game SM3DW is, I don't know. Takes some getting used to though.

tkscz

Honest to goodness this felt like the actual sequel to Super Mario World. Where New Super Mario Bros games kept trying to capture the feel of classic Mario, SM3DW nailed it. The music, the level design, the controls, the content, it truly felt like where the Super Mario Bros. series was going.

maxcriden

Here are some hidden moves from a GameFAQs thread. I like the spin jump in particular. I think I missed some of these when playing the game.

--

Crouching Hop - Crouch then jump. This divides your height in half so you can fit into smaller spaces that are above ground level.

Back-Flip - Hold a crouch to "charge up," then jump.

Somersault - Jump after doing a sharp 180 turn.

Spin Jump - Rotate the stick until your character starts spinning, then jump. As far as I can tell, this is the highest jump possible from a standing position.

Long Jump - Running then crouch + jump.

Roll - While crouching, press the run button. This is slightly different with different power-ups. Small/Super/Boomerang/Fire... Just a standard roll that can break bricks (if you're not small). In the Tanooki Suit, you'll spin your tail in a crouching position without moving. (Run before doing it to do a "sliding tail spin.") In the Cat Suit, you'll "pounce," kind of like a sliding claw attack.

Roll Jump - Follow-up the roll with a jump. Can also break bricks that are above ground level. In the Cat/Tanooki suits, the jump can also damage enemies.

Ground Pound Bounce - Perform a ground pound and then jump about a second after impact.

Replaying it right now, on world 5.

Didn't dig it a whole lot 3 years ago, but warming up to it right now though I still have some qualms. Mainly the camera being zoomed out for multiplayer that gauging distance is a little hard sometimes, at least for me. I also replayed 3D Land but I didn't have this problem, with and without 3D.

I'm also still not a huge fan of the stiffer and restrictive controls. It doesn't bug me too much in 3D Land because the platforms and areas in general are very small so the simpler jumps and movement are preferable, but 3D World has wider platforms and levels generally being more spacious that I kinda feel it's a waste not having more ways to maneuver around, at least for single player. Cat suit is great though, I love it, almost as much as tanooki. The game isn't very shy about giving you power ups compared to 3D Land which I appreciate.

Simbabbad

It's a very good game, but the 8 direction mapping and the way speed is handled ruined it for me. I sold it after I finished it.

SM3DW > SMG

Fight me.

Ehh. In terms of actual quality, they are pretty close. I can see people preferring one over the other, but oftentimes they tend to be very hyperbolic about one being "wayyyyyyy" better than the other.

For me, Galaxy > 3D World > Galaxy 2, 3D Land

weekev

Banned
Game is incredibly easy and dull as a result. Co-op was a bad idea and poorly implemented.

It wasn't anywhere near the Galaxy games.
Always see this from folks who haven't completed the post game.

champions road is legit my favourite level of any game due to its fiendish difficulty.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good game, but disappointing final battle and it has probably the worst physics in any 3D Mario game. All the characters feel so sluggish and clumsy.

dh4niel

I did enjoy the game but later on I found there were too many instances were you needed a specific power up/suit to get a star rather than it being a test of skill. My only complaint though.

JaseMath

So I've made it to the last three levels.

The Captain Toad level wasn't too bad. So I moved onto...
The Marathon stage...well, I got half of the stars. The stage was making me panicky, so I thought, "I know, I'll try..."
Champions Road. I've wasted around 120 lives here thus far. I can't make it past the switch boxes in section two. I've mastered everything up until then. The amount of times I've died has made me reconsider my Mario no-item run, but Tanooki Mario would be of real help here...guess I'll keep trying.

XD

EDIT: Just watched a YouTube vid of the entire level. OMFG

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably my favorite game on the Wii U overall. My only complaint is I feel the level design got a little overly-reliant on having the Cat Suit. But then that's all been a reoccuring problem with a lot of the 2D Mario games.

Top Bottom