• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0. Why I have not played this before?

Ok Gaf, I finally decided to give Yakuza series a try. I am not a big fan of open world games like GTA, although I LOVED red dead redemption.

I always wanted to try Yakuza, but I was always busy with another game. Yesterday amazon had Yakuza 0 on sale for $42, and I was able to price match at bestbuy and started playing yesterday.

I have put only 3 hours in, but I absolutely LOVE IT.

WOW, what a game.

The story is really well constructed, and I am already really interested on what is going to happen next. It is awesome, gangster-crime type of story, really interesting. The game take place on late 80s, so I love the little nuances about clothing, music, etc..

In terms of graphics, it is not bad, but not fantastic either. It is ok, but that does not really bother me. Tokyo at night looks awesome.

Gameplay wise, it is REALLY Fun. beat n up gameplay, but with some depth. It is really fun to beat people up, and once you start learning more moves and level up your character, you can do great combos. They added 3 modes (beast, rush, brawler) that changes your fighting style and damage, and this is great. you need to change between modes to progress without taking a lot of damage. requires some strategy, but don't expect anything like Demon's soul or Ninja gaiden in terms or difficulty or complexity, but that is fine, because the gameplay is FUN!

The side stories are awesome, and you can really do a bunch of different , funny quests.

The game is very JAPANESE, meaning you will see a lot of "weird" and funny situations and characters, which is one of t he reasons why I love this.

Yakuza feels like a spiritual successor of Shenmue in terms of open world games. If you loved shenmue, give yakuza a try.

Bottom line is: Yakuza is a hidden gem, a underrated masterpiece. I loved this game so much I can't wait to go back home after work and start playing again. I already preordered Yakuza Kiwami steelbook edition so I can play the first remastered version of the game on ps4.

PLEASE, GIVE YAKUZA a try!

2007514_0.jpg

Ekid

I definitely intend to give it a try but not at full price. I still haven't be able to find the game at less than 50€ when others games like Nioh or Gravity Rush 2 have been under 20€.
It's frustrating.

I definitely intend to give it a try but not at full price. I still haven't be able to find the game at less than 50€ when others games like Nioh or Gravity Rush 2 have been under 20€.
It's frustrating.

I heard Yakuza games hold their price better than most AAA. The game is HUGE, the main story itself is 25 hours, some people have put 90-100 hours including sidequests. You should give it a try, worth it full price

My GOTY 2017. And there have been a LOT of great games released this year.

I'm making it my retroactive GOTY 2015 (JP release) so I have room for Persona 5 to be GOTY 2017.

Edit: Oh and I should probably make Persona 5 my retroactive GOTY 2016, so I have room for BotW to be GotY 2017.

Roubjon

Picking up a handful of nails, shoving them in someones mouth, and then punching their face was one of the greatest moments of 2017.

Always warms the heart to see someone discover and want to share the joys of Yakuza. It's been a long road for the series from relatively small sales outside of Japan for the earlier titles, but seeing the momentum the series now has, is a joy in itself.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm about 6 hours into the game, and yeah shit is BONKERS. I can't wait to keep playing this and I already preordered Kiwami.

Shahadan

It's frustrating.

It was sold for 25€ at amazon.es and .de (iirc) at the beginning of the month =/

Peroroncino

Ok Gaf, I finally decided to give Yakuza series a try. I am not a big fan of open world games like GTA, although I LOVED red dead redemption.

That's probably the biggest mistake any yet-to-play-Yakuza people often make, thinking it's a japanese GTA, when in fact it's something entirely different.

Glad you like it OP, if 0 won't be enough after you're done with it, remember that there's Kiwami that comes out soon. ;)

Hag

best setting (music is so fucking good) and best yakuza for me so far (still have to play Isshin and 6)

That's probably the biggest mistake any yet-to-play-Yakuza people often make, thinking it's a japanese GTA, when in fact it's something entirely different.

Glad you like it OP, if 0 won't be enough after you're done with it, remember that there's Kiwami that comes out soon. ;)

already preordered at BB

SoCoRoBo

Picked it up on a whim earlier in the year, discovered it might be my favourite game of all time. It's also fantastic to see a game from Japan where the characters are recognisably Japanese.

Skulldead

each freaking time i saw a Yakuza 0 thread, the only that came from my mind is: "i have to finish yakuza 5","i have to finish yakuza 5","i have to finish yakuza 5". stop it !!

My GOTY 2017. And there have been a LOT of great games released this year.
Same. Persona 5 is a close second followed by Horizon at the moment.

Yakuza 0 was my first plunge too op and it's amazing. At 3 hours in you haven't seen anything yet. The story, characters and voice acting are so good. I got the platinum then pre-ordered Kiwami off the back of playing it.

Lucentto

Banned
This was also my first Yakuza game, I finished it a few days ago. Good lord what a game, I am in it now. I cannot wait for Kiwami.

danmaku

Fantastic game, but if you get OCD in games with loooong checklists of boring stuff to do, be warned: Yakuza has a metric ton of that. On the other hand, it's never required and you can easily complete the game ignoring all side activities you don't like.

alt27

This year has been insane for great games. HZD, Nier, P5 etc, but Yakuza 0 has probably been my favourite so far. Loved the story, the humour, the sidequests and the minigames. That cabaret club was genius!

Really looking forward to kiwami and 6 early next year.

Absolutely wonderful game and part of one of my favorites series of games. I'm considering buying another PS3 because I haven't been able to play 4 and 5 yet. I wish they were on PS Now =(.

On the topic of Yakuza 0, though...I found myself spending waaayyyy too much time with the hostess club minigame. Definitely fantastic fun.

Absolutely wonderful game and part of one of my favorites series of games. I'm considering buying another PS3 because I haven't been able to play 4 and 5 yet. I wish they were on PS Now =(.

On the topic of Yakuza 0, though...I found myself spending waaayyyy too much time with the hostess club minigame. Definitely fantastic fun.

rumors say that if Kiwami does well, Sega might remaster the other yakuzas to Ps4.

Raw64life

Played through it a couple of months ago. Loved it, but don't regret waiting until now as this seems like the most polished one yet and it's also a prequel so it seemed like the perfect time to jump in.

Kiwami being $25 with Amazon Prime is just a steal and an easy pre-order. With everything else coming out between Kiwami and 6 though I might just read up on the story between now and then. Not gonna have time or energy to play through 4 more Yakuza games with worse graphics between now and then.

Strings

I'm playing through it too at the moment, and I'm really floored by some of the cutscene construction. Something like Majima's first visit to Godhand's clinic is just fantastic.

I heard Yakuza games hold their price better than most AAA. The game is HUGE, the main story itself is 25 hours, some people have put 90-100 hours including sidequests. You should give it a try, worth it full price

I have played over 200 hours of it. XD

It's frustrating.

Those fast price drops are often the result of retailers getting rid of excess stock due to overshipping, i wouldn't be surprised if Sega played it safe with a low print run on Y0, due to the historically low sales of the series in the west.

Also, where and when did GR2 go for sub 20€? I saw Ni-Oh for 24€ during the Days of Play sale, but the lowest i've seen for GR2 physical version was 30 GBP. I would have been all over GR2 for 20€.

stryke

Playing through it right now and I'm enjoying it myself.

One of few games where side missions/stories are actually interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Welcome to Yakuza GAF OP.

Just based on the OP I can tell you'll have a great time here. Also great to see you've already pre ordered Kiwami. Hopefully Yakuza 2 gets a Kiwami treatment but don't hesitate to pick up the PS2 version to get going with the franchise.

Enjoy !

LAM09

Absolutely loved it. Best game I've played this year thus far.

Great to see the series getting alot of love in recent months. Kiwami is just around the corner and 6 at the start of 2018.

It's frustrating.

You don't deserve to play this game if you don't pay full price.

A friend got it used for really cheap a few days after release when I had no money and I have "borrowed" it from him :p I can't find it anywhere (in Budapest, Hungary) now even for full price.

Can't find my copy of 2 though and I really wanted to replay it after this :-(

Top Bottom