• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 0. Why I have not played this before?

Aki-at

You've come just in time.

To see both the beginning and the end of the legend of Kazuma Kiryu :,(

Savour it whilst you can, the greatest gaming protagonist around.

I definitely intend to give it a try but not at full price. I still haven't be able to find the game at less than 50€ when others games like Nioh or Gravity Rush 2 have been under 20€.
It's frustrating.

Where did you see GR2 under 20?

And yes OP, Yakuza is awesome, you have one hell of a ride ahead of you.

Ekid

I heard Yakuza games hold their price better than most AAA. The game is HUGE, the main story itself is 25 hours, some people have put 90-100 hours including sidequests. You should give it a try, worth it full price

I'm just being wary since I'm not sure I will like the game at all. Maybe I will just go digital next time it goes in sales on PSN.

It was sold for 25€ at amazon.es and .de (iirc) at the beginning of the month =/

Well I missed those, and it definitely never went so low on .fr.

Also, where and when did GR2 go for sub 20€? I saw Ni-Oh for 24€ during the Days of Play sale, but the lowest i've seen for GR2 physical version was 30 GBP. I would have been all over GR2 for 20€.

Some hypermarket in France had it for as low as 14.99€ during the Days of Play sale.

Cess007

The picture in the OP reminds me that you can recruit the Oba-san from one of the substories as a hostess and seeing her do the bow is fricking hilarious with her normal clothes lol

StarPhlox

I'm currently in the final chapter (planning to finish the game tonight) and I absolutely love it.

0 is my introduction to the Yakuza franchise and it impressed the hell out of me. Definitely going to be in my top 10 at the end of the year and I look forward to Kiwami and more!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i'm just going to wait for yakuza kiwami since it's only like $24 to try out the series

Yeah, it's a really smart move of them to retain the lower price of sale from the Japanese version. It would make the barrier of entry even smaller.

Only concern I have is that for newcomers, they might not realize this is a full remake of the first game because of it's "Kiwami" labeling. Kiwami roughly translates to "Extreme" as in Yakuza: Extrme Edition but honestly how many people are gonna put that research into it.

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami will be next for me after I finish Persona 5 and Nioh! Saw the Started Guide thread but couldn't find an answer to my question: Will I be able to follow the plot of Yakuza 6 by only playing 0 and Kiwami? Only have a PS4.

I just finished the game a couple of nights ago with a total of 103 hours. And there's still more side quests and stuff to do if I want to go back into the game. Yakuza 0 has been one of my favorite experiences in gaming and everyone should play it honestly. Also don't be afraid to watch a how to video for properly fighting enemies. It helps haha

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami will be next for me after I finish Persona 5 and Nioh! Saw the Started Guide thread but couldn't find an answer to my question: Will I be able to follow the plot of Yakuza 6 by only playing 0 and Kiwami? Only have a PS4.

Good question, I want to know that. I do have Yakuza 3 and 4 on my PS3, but I am afraid it will be a significant downgrade in terms of visuals . Plus I don't have the yakuza 2 or 5

cordy

Banned
I packed so many hours into the game man and I'm glad that I did. It's crazy addictive in a simplistic way. It gives me that PS2/early PS3 era vibe but it's got that current gen gloss over it in what attracts you and keeps you grounded. Amazing game.

Second favoite game this year for me, so far. Just surreal. Missing some of the wacky humor found in other entries and carny moments like punching a tiger but still a majestic game.

It was truly a gem. I'm not sure if I'll buy Kiwami or 5, because it seems too soon. I just spent about 50 hours (you guys are probably thinking "ONLY 50 hours?") on Y0, and I dont want to play another one so soon.

I had a great time, and loved the writing. The last chapter was some of the best action I've seen in a game or movie.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Probably not. Yakuza 6 seems to have a very heavy focus on Haruka, her story is expanded through out the numbered games. You'll only see her as a small child in Kiwami. That and there may be a lot of returning characters and plot threads that won't make sense.

These games usually have in-depth 'previously on' videos, sometimes ranging 40~ minutes long. I don't know whether Yakuza 6 will have one but if playing the entire games isn't an option, watching these previously on .. videos will be a good alternative.

Or you can always look up some lore videos on youtube.

Trace

Banned
One of my favourite things in gaming this year has been seeing new people discovering and loving the Yakuza series.

Same with me. I only got into Yakuza around Yakuza 4s localization but it's been a hell of a ride since then, nice to see more people discovering it.

When the 2017 game of the year deliberations begin, this will be high up in my top ten no doubt. It's top-tier Yakuza. I haven't played an entry in the franchise this good since 2 came out.

Also, it's nice to see a last act in a Yakuza game that doesn't completely lose the plot and spill over into obscene melodrama. The ending is just brilliant (and bittersweet).

YmItNP4.gif

No words needed.

tvpivva

Neo Member
glad your'e enjoying it op i just finished my first play through of 0 a few days ago absolute masterpiece! Still debating if i should try and do the platinum before kiwami but the game is so fun to go back to!

I've been looking into the Yakuza franchise today and thinking, where to start. Might as well start here.

Shame there's not a demo on PSN.

I started playing Yakuza 5 recently but 0 has been in the back of my mind ever since I finished it. So fucking good, I wish I could play it for the first time all over again.

Dark_castle

Yakuza 0 did it. First game since in awhile I've played that actually has side quests that I actively seek out, because many of them are straight up hilarious, or at least interesting.

SephLuis

Good question, I want to know that. I do have Yakuza 3 and 4 on my PS3, but I am afraid it will be a significant downgrade in terms of visuals . Plus I don't have the yakuza 2 or 5

Probably not. Yakuza 6 seems to have a very heavy focus on Haruka, her story is expanded through out the numbered games. You'll only see her as a small child in Kiwami. That and there may be a lot of returning characters and plot threads that won't make sense.

These games usually have in-depth 'previously on' videos, sometimes ranging 40~ minutes long. I don't know whether Yakuza 6 will have one but if playing the entire games isn't an option, watching these previously on .. videos will be a good alternative.

Or you can always look up some lore videos on youtube.

Wait a second.

I haven't played the Japanese version of Yakuza 6 this time, but I did played the demo that contained the first few cutscenes of the game.

Y6 is more of a follow up to where Y5 ended and there are characters from previous games, especially Y4 characters that would become staples in the series.

IIRC, Y6 does have the videos for every game in the series from 0 to 5 as a catch-up for beginners. What I am not sure, since I didn't played this one, is if they are actually needed to understand the story.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. The first one I played was 3 and was hooked. Went back and bought 1 and 2 then 4, then dead souls and when I had no others left I started to import them like 5 and Ishin. Had to use an English translation guide but it was worth it. It's honestly tied for my favorite games series with MGS. Once you get a little past the first couple of chapters 0 gets even better!!

Amon37

I just finished the game and I'm hooked, even my wife was interested in watching me play which says a lot.

One question, what the hell is with everyone offering me pocket tissues?

Some of the story moments and characters won't be as impactful without having the full context but yes, you won't be lost by Yakuza 6's story if you go Y0 -> Y Kiwami -> Y6.

From what I've heard from people who have played the JP version of Yakuza 6, the game will even give you some context to characters and its story, at the beginning.

The general rule for Yakuza series is that, while the game and characters are connected, the story in each game is pretty much stand alone so you can pretty much pick up any of them and enjoy them for what they are. That being said, having the full context is always the best option.

Not just game of the year for me but game of the generation (yes, even above the mighty Bloodborne and all of these other fantastic games from Japan we've gotten this year like Nier: Automata, Tekken 7 and Gravity Rush 2).

This game made me even more hyped for the Yakuza 1 Remake (Kiwami), I have been a fan since the PS2 era but this rejuvenated my love for the series again. The story, music and gameplay are all top tier stuff.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Never has a game's story hooked me more than Yakuza 0. Literally every chapter had me at the edge of my seat. I literally didn't play any substories until after I finished the main game. That's how hooked I was. Of course the gameplay is rock solid. As expected from a game that was the brainchild of Toshihiro Nagoshi.

I think we can all agree that Yakuza 0 started off a year with Japanese games returning to form. This game, Nioh, Nier, Zelda, too many to list and still more to come!

Persona 5 was my most wanted game ever and it just so happens it's not even the best Japanese RPG of its respective year (game's is incredibly good, no hating). Yakuza 0 is mind-blowing.

IIRC, Y6 does have the videos for every game in the series from 0 to 5 as a catch-up for beginners. What I am not sure, since I didn't played this one, is if they are actually needed to understand the story.

Nope, the only recap kinda stuff you get is a bit at the beginning where you speak to important characters from the franchise where you get a very brief overview of them. You don't have recap vids like Yakuza 3/4 etc. had.

SephLuis

Nope, the only recap kinda stuff you get is a bit at the beginning where you speak to important characters from the franchise where you get a very brief overview of them. You don't have recap vids like Yakuza 3/4 etc. had.

Wasn't the recap videos on a option in the main menu ? Before hitting new game.

I could swear I have seen the option for this.

Wasn't the recap videos on a option in the main menu ? Before hitting new game.

I could swear I have seen the option for this.

I don't recall it for 6, I'll give it a check tomorrow if I remember, I've been meaning to finish off a couple of bits in the mini games anyway so I'll check that as well.

WoolyNinja

First game in a long time that even my wife enjoyed watching, and she's now looking forward to watching more craziness with Kiwami and 6.

Like the OP Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza but definitely won't be my last!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
0 is awesome

I have really fond memories of yakuza 1 (played thru the whole series back in 2015) and I'm super excited to play kiwami

just started Chapter 3, and finally met
Goro Majima

Man, the opening scene of the Chapter 3 is awesome. I wish I could go to
Grand Cabaret, although I don't like their "nontouching" policy lol.

Having a blast guys.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wish Yakuza 3 wasn't my first Yakuza game just because of the slow start. I did finish it though. I really need to dig out my PS3 and finish #4 and download #5. Will make an effort to tomorrow since I have the rest of the week off.

Yakuza is a series I've always wanted to get in to. Seemed like a more silly gta or even sleeping dogs. Is it close to that thought? These threads certainly help get me there.

Top Bottom