• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts: "Amazing news coming Monday [...] awesome news for our old school fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

LovingSteam said:
Hmm I just thought of it, what if their catalog will be put on GOG? Good old games/ old school fans?

Only cool if X-Wing/Tie Fighte works in Vista and I get the talkie version of Fate of Atlantis.

Minsc

Gold Member
It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...

It's not a new game people.
Which is probably for the best

epmode

I don't think there's a single developer who can do justice to Grim Fandango. Dialogue like that just doesn't exist anymore.

Minsc said:

FFFFFFFFFFFF

hopes raised and dashed all in the space of a few minutes.

ah well, perhaps it will be a rerelease of the old X-Wing games. Compatibility has been shit on more modern operating systems, and maybe they can put up new online servers now. Hell, if it sells, maybe it'll be enough to finally give Totally Games the go-ahead for a sequel. Not like they're doing anything else important...

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Sapiens said:
Oldschool point and click adventures available on WiiWare/DS.

No remakes. Just ports.

I was thinking about that. Classic LucasArts titles joining Virtual Console.

Gomu Gomu

igb4w6.jpg

PLEASE :)

Sapiens said:
Oldschool point and click adventures available on WiiWare/DS.

No remakes. Just ports.

Nah, after Broken Sword, I don't think we'll be seeing any more of classic adventure games on the Wii/DS.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hey LucasArts, how's that Wii Lightsaber game making progress by the way?

Still excited. We've already got Sam & Max and Monkey Island, so I expect Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SapientWolf said:
I would do unspeakable things for a Grim Fandango sequel.

I'll do unspeakable things to you and your loved ones if they fuck around with Grim Fandango.

The story is done.

El-Suave

If it is any one of their old adventure franchises, they would have wasted a big opportunity making people buy the new Monkey Island release(s). The old "if enough people buy this and show interest..." angle would have totally worked for Monkey Island marketing. I bet there would have been quite a few people who would have bought Monkey Island thinking it will get them some of the other awesome games.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
LucasArts on Steam? And then LucasArts Superpack on sale for $35 next weekend? And then I pop a boner so hard and fast that it punctures the fabric of spacetime and all that was, is, and will ever be is sucked into the Void?

One can only hope.

HUELEN10

HK-47 said:
I'll do unspeakable things to you and your loved ones if they fuck around with Grim Fandango.

The story is done.
Yeah right, there's a reason we have The Land Before Time 13! If it can make money, then the story is not over. Just pray that any sequel does not fuck around with the original, that's all anybody can do.

iammeiam

Back catalogue going back into print somehow has to be it.. The only other thing I could think that's not IP-specific would be the announcement that they're getting back into adventure games in general, and that seems unlikely given that they've just licensed out arguably their biggest adventure title.

Ideally, I'd like a series of Lucasarts Archives on DVD, but if DD is all we'll get, I'll take it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
I would do unspeakable things for a Grim Fandango sequel.

no! bad.

Lets never use the words "sequel" or "prequel" in the same sentence as "Grim Fandango" ever again.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
FULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLE

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
HUELEN10 said:
Yeah right, there's a reason we have The Land Before Time 13! If it can make money, then the story is not over. Just pray that any sequel does not fuck around with the original, that's all anybody can do.

Grim Fandango didnt make money in the first place. Its one the reasons the adventure game genre died.

MMaRsu

Banned
doomed1 said:
FULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLEFULLTHROTTLE

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!

This man knows

Please be the real sequel to Fate of Atlantis.

Fuck this Staff of Kings bullshit. They could do a new Indy adventure every year if they kept it old school and people would love it.

Please...please...please...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Maniac fuckin Mansion.

fuckin Maniac Mansion

Maniac Mansion fuckin

mclem

Minsc said:

Not a *specific* IP, but lots of general ones?

Night Shift 2!

Bingham's Environmentally-Active Solution for Toys can live once more!

FoneBone

:lol at the hype already getting out of control. All indications are that it's not a new game, or a new remake of an existing one.

Rlan

@lucasartsgames: Oh, Kotaku. Reading too much into what I wrote. I still love you guys though. The hint: Not a new IP, but a treat for our old school fans.

@lucasartsgames: At this point, is there even anything i COULD announce that would please all you people?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, did Staff of Kings do well then? I seem to remember them saying if it, and by proxy Fate of Atlantis, did well, they'd look into more such things.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hopefully a sequel to one of their famous P&C adventures. Doubtful of course that it would be a proper sequel to Monkey Island, when the other company is making MI game already.

I also hope it's one or more SCUMM games for Iphone, or why not handhelds and console download services. For Iphone, they would work really well on it (actually they already work well on it, but I don't feel like jailbreaking)

Twig

Banned
dgenx said:
Maniac fuckin Mansion.

fuckin Maniac Mansion

Maniac Mansion fuckin
The real question: does rule 34 apply to all three of these?

EDIT: Is The Land Before Time really up to movie 13 now? Jesus Christ. If it's all right with you, universe, I'm going to pretend only the first movie exists and let the good memories of my childhood rest in peace. )':

Sadly I don't think its them releasing their library on Steam. There are already more games coming to Steam before this announcement. However its possible I guess since people knew about EA before EA and Valve made their announcement.

Minsc

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:
So it seems that its not an announcement regarding putting their catalog on any downloaded service but rather announcing a new game based off an old franchise. This makes sense since my buddy told me that there are already more games from Lucas Arts coming to Steam. Ehh, I guess we will have to wait until George Lucas freezes himself before the library will be released on any service :(

How can this be an announcement of a new game when they said this announcement is not about any specific IP? An announcement of a new game is an announcement of a specific IP.

Unless maybe you are saying we're getting a spinoff series. Maybe a game from another PoV from an existing series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom