• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

And he pretends to be black!

Truly the Rachel Dolezal of NeoGAF.

image.php

Budi

I knew they fired the directors. Didn't know they got Ron Howard for it, this gives me new hope. I prefer his work much more.

Edit: He definitely has some duds too, I just haven't watched those.

Arttemis

I'm kinda disappointed at all the Boba Fett hate, particularly people saying he has no justification for his following. Up until the sand barge scene in RotJ, his character was the epitome of badass.

He was one of a handful of bounty hunters hand picked by Darth Vader.
He saw through Han Solo's trash chute getaway when no one else did.
He tracked them stealthily to Bespin, where he actually had the gall to broker a deal with Lord Vader to keep Solo for himself. Other than Tarkin, the Emperor, and Luke, anyone direcly speaking to Vader risked death by a force choke... and Boba Fett fucking makes a deal with him.
He was a regular at Jabba's palace, getting the A-list treatment.
He has a fucking jetpack, flamethrower, and giant missile as part of his suit.

It took decades for Darth Vader to get his own single-minute of kicking ass on the big screen at the end of Rogue One. I would absolutely kill for a western-vibed movie of Boba Fett solemnly tracking his targets.

tomtom94

As far as I can tell it looks like Lucasfilm, producers, whoever you want to call them, they and Lord/Miller were on the same page about the type of film they wanted but the process of getting there wasn't compatible. That actually makes a lot more sense and helps explain how they got this far into filming before it got shut down and suggests they will actually be able to keep quite a lot of the original footage.

As for Kasdan... yeah, writers can get quite picky about their dialogue. Obscure reference, but one of the writers on the British show New Tricks got into a fight with the two lead actors who claimed they used to rewrite the dialogue on set (because it was so rubbish)... he said every episode he wrote ended up on the screen word for word.

Lord and Miller will bounce back but they're not getting a big-budget tentpole any time soon... which is probably a good thing, tbh.

All the talk in here about Lucasfilm being control freaks is directly contradicted by basically everything we've heard about Rian Johnson and Episode VIII.

All the talk in here about Lucasfilm being control freaks is directly contradicted by basically everything we've heard about Rian Johnson and Episode VIII.

Not necessarily. Maybe Johnson is making exactly the movie Kennedy wanted and expected him to make so there's simply no need for conflict. Or maybe he does have a lot of freedom, we don't know. But either way, there's no contradiction here.

jett

D-Member
I have no idea why Disney doesn't just try a reimagining of the 1st KOTOR game's story. That's like easy money right there. Or hell, I make a tv show. There has to be be some expanded universe stuff that makes them go, 'That's not a bad idea.'

That's too far away from the nostalgia mines that is the OT.

Unit 33

This.

Boba Fett is the mysterious and bad-ass looking character that you always wondered the mystery behind.

Just because Lucas took a shit on that with RotJ and then the prequels is not relevant to my headcanon.

Less is more innit.

You want to know the mysterious backstories of characters, and when they give it to you, it just isn't what you have in mind.

I think retroactively adding back stories to some Star Wars characters is very difficult.

Han Solo is a very good example.
The main arc of Solo is that he's a standard rogue who develops some sentimentality, after being challenged by a naive farm boy and a passionate leader figure.

I guess the only thing to be explored in a younger Han is 'why is Han so cynical by the beginning of ANH?'

Beyond that it's box-ticking crap like, 'gee how did he meet Chewie', and 'gee I bet that thing with the parsecs was cool right'?

Not necessarily. Maybe Johnson is making exactly the movie Kennedy wanted and expected him to make so there's simply no need for conflict. Or maybe he does have a lot of freedom, we don't know. But either way, there's no contradiction here.
I don't think it would be fair to assume Rian is lying. I think it is very reasonable to assume it goes both ways at Lucasfilm when it comes to giving directors freedom.

I think the difference lies in vision and who is executing that vision. For the Saga films, the directors are also the ones who come up with the stories. They have more creative control over executing their own vision. If the Saga movies are falling apart or start falling behind I'm sure Kennedy would step up management. For TFA Abrams was doing his usual thing and it absolutely comes through, but he also has a lot more pull than most directors so it's hard to tell if it's just his power that gave him the ability to push back (like the release date) or if it's a sign of the degree of control they are wiling to give the directors.

On Solo, Lord and Miller were hired to execute Kasdan's vision. It sounds like there was a mismatch in how to execute that vision (and maybe the ability to manage production) that ultimately led to a breakdown and loss of creative control.

On Rogue One, there were half a dozen writers and rewrites halfway through, and it sounds like there really wasn't a singular vision going in so creative control was by committee, and Edwards ultimately shared directing duties (without bowing out).

I don't think it would be fair to assume Rian is lying. I think it is very reasonable to assume it goes both ways at Lucasfilm when it comes to giving directors freedom.

I think the difference lies in vision and who is executing that vision. For the Saga films, the directors are also the ones who come up with the stories. They have more creative control over executing their own vision. If the Saga movies are falling apart or start falling behind I'm sure Kennedy would step up management. For TFA Abrams was doing his usual thing and it absolutely comes through, but he also has a lot more pull than most directors so it's hard to tell if it's just his power that gave him the ability to push back (like the release date) or if it's a sign of the degree of control they are wiling to give the directors.

On Solo, Lord and Miller were hired to execute Kasdan's vision. It sounds like there was a mismatch in how to execute that vision (and maybe the ability to manage production) that ultimately led to a breakdown and loss of creative control.

On Rogue One, there were half a dozen writers and rewrites halfway through, and it sounds like there really wasn't a singular vision going in so creative control was by committee and Edwards ultimately shared directing duties (without bowing out).

I'm not saying he's lying and I don't presume to know what's going on behind closed doors. His comments are probably genuine but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has as much freedom as he says he does. If we assume that everything is going well with Episode 8, it's probably because Kennedy and the powers that be are pleased with his work and that his vision of Star Wars lines up with theirs. And it still feels like his movie to him. Again, I'm speculating, but Johnson's tweets should be to be taken with a gain of salt, that's all. But other than that, we seem to be in agreement.

Phamit

OP title is like not even the worst thing in the article and even says that it's normal just not this late. So isn't actually a mistake by Lord and Miller, that they waited way to long to hire a coach to help the actor bring the performance they want, because they weren't able to get him act in a way they wanted?

There were even rumors that Ehrenreich wasn't happy about how the directors wanted him to play Solo.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That's too far away from the nostalgia mines that is the OT.

Also, for a setting that was thousands of years before the movies, KOTOR stunted a lot of things that already happen in the mainline SW universe so what the fuck is the point.

The Old Republic, as it stands now with its non-canon ass, is useless.

Pandy

All this arguing about Boba Fett is getting us nowhere.

Let's meet in the middle, and do the same films but with pre-Prequels Jango Fett instead.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
KOTOR would actually be a really fun thing to adapt, in my opinion. The base story is pretty solid and it takes place far enough in the past that you don't really have to worry about tripping over any other continuity stuff. KOTOR is also probably the best thing that came out of the EU that wasn't Thrawn

This was pretty much my first thought when they confirmed standalone SW movies. My (unlikely) hope is that they will go back in time when the trilogy is over for the next series of movies.

All this arguing about Boba Fett is getting us nowhere.

Let's meet in the middle, and do the same films but with pre-Prequels Jango Fett instead.

Tem's getting on a bit. They should create Jango's father; Fango Fett, the Butcher of Concord Dawn.

7814118.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
it's a post-Lucas Star Wars movie, so in all likelihood we're just getting another muddled nothingness in line with the other modern SW output. Like Marvel (Avengers 2), they can produce a big dumb and successful crowd pleaser movie on autopilot regardless of the script or directors or other outside factors involved and people will go see it and regard it as a masterpiece. They have the formula down, the IP and the budget, you'd have to go as far as to get Lucas involved to really fuck it up

Pandy

Tem's getting on a bit. They should create Jango's father; Fango Fett, the Butcher of Concord Dawn.

https://static2.stuff.co.nz/1350158852/118/7814118.jpg
This is indeed the compromise solution we've been looking for.

Any Fett film works for me, really. There's a lot of uncovered territory, and I think that outside of being punk'd when fighting against the will of the Force, any Fett could still convincingly be bad-ass in most situations.

There is still time Lucasfilm/Disney, cancel this and make an Obi-Wan movie instead. This guy is ready to go:
vanityfair_toronto-international-film-festival-ewan-mcgregor-fargo.jpg

Find it funny that people keep saying have no one wants a Han Solo yet at the same time keep clamoring for an Obi wan film, ever though both have the same fundamental problems

Top Bottom