• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

Surfinn

Yes.

We will all simultaneously realize that we have just watched the best Star Wars film ever made and will spend 4 straight spoiler threads agreeing with each other about how amazing it was

For one week
Did you miss the teaser thread?

Though I agree that it could be one of the very best if not the best.

Between him, Ansel Elgort, and Emory Cohen, I was pulling for Cohen.

Then Elgort.

Ehrenreich was last place.

Did you miss the teaser thread?

And neglect the very cult I've endeavored so passionately to build?

(I mean, I probably missed something in there. Or caught it and dropped it. Because I'm old now)

I can't be the only one here that's kinda fallen out of love for Star Wars?

I owned/own lots of memorabilia and have the old tapes from the 90s and used to watch them ALL THE TIME. Now I have almost no interest in this movie and Last Jedi. It's strange.

Hype train left without me.

I can't even tell if you're fucking with me or if you actually believe that ever happened.

(pretty sure you're fucking with me tho)
Lol I did think your older avatar was a pic of a black dude. But closer looks revealed the truth.

Neff

At least we can all rest easy that this will be nowhere near as bad as any of the Prequels. That much is guaranteed.

That's right, it'll be much worse

zwHJEw.png

Now Star Wars has new wards who are committed to the health and image of the franchise.

I don't feel an ounce of inspiration, sincerity, truth, or commitment to integrity from Disney's take on Lucas' universe so far. Just a very polished and very practised approach to giving paying customers what they want.

Surfinn

Between him, Ansel Elgort, and Emory Cohen, I was pulling for Cohen.

Then Elgort.

Ehrenreich was last place.

And neglect the very cult I've endeavored so passionately to build?

(I mean, I probably missed something in there. Or caught it and dropped it. Because I'm old now)
Well like half of it was a shot for shot breakdown of how it copied TFA trailer..

So I don't exactly share your optimism on GAF reactions to TLJ

opoth

Banned

I owned/own lots of memorabilia and have the old tapes from the 90s and used to watch them ALL THE TIME. Now I have almost no interest in this movie and Last Jedi. It's strange.

Lol I did think your older avatar was a pic of a black dude. But closer looks revealed the truth.

Got started in 1983, ROTJ was one of the first films i ever saw in the theater.

That's how I felt after 2002 when I finally knew it would never again be the way it was. ROTS was a step in the right direction but TFA/R1 got me back in big time. High hopes for TLJ.

Well like half of it was a shot for shot breakdown of how it copied TFA trailer..

I guess I kinda remember that (he says like he can't just search the thread and skim it) but I remember it being more positive than anything?

People seemed excited.

Qui-Gon said some shit once about focus and realities, I guess.

Surfinn

I guess I kinda remember that (he says like he can't just search the thread and skim it) but I remember it being more positive than anything?

People seemed excited.

Qui-Gon said some shit once about focus and realities, I guess.
It was pretty mixed. But only because it was a teaser and "didn't show anything"

I just wanna see the zany shit they start doing in five or so years once they've "established" the brand being yearly and start pushing out multiple projects a year.

So that I can go "well shit Lord and Miller would be perfect for... oh".

Davide

Star Wars it at is best in 35 years though.

Only big issue I have with Ehrenreich's casting as far as resemblance goes is he looks nothing like Adam Driver while Harrison Ford does.

Surfinn

yeah no. Not a chance in hell. As long as someone remotely competent is in charge, no Star Wars movie will ever be as bad as the prequels again.
In agreement here. There's a team of filmmakers/storytellers leading the charge from now on. No longer are we subjected to George Lucas' shitty, one-sided direction.

In agreement here. There's a team of filmmakers/storytellers leading the charge from now on. No longer are we subjected to George Lucas' shitty, one-sided direction.

And when things are going south, Kennedy obviously has no problem in going okay guys this shit isn't working. People got really nervous and skeptical about the Rogue One dilemma (rightfully so) but the movie turned out pretty good (seems to be the general consensus, obviously not everyone loved it but it wasn't exactly a mess). I'm actually less concerned about Han Solo now that the problems were identified and they're going to extra lengths to try and rectify them.

Still, who can say how it'll turn out, but if everything so far has been remotely true, it sounds like Lord and Miller were directing this shit like hipsters and I'm pretty sure it'd have been much worse if they were allowed to keep it up. But that's just my stance based on relatively empty and unconfirmed information.rec

Monocle

That's right, it'll be much worse

zwHJEw.png
Yeah there's pretty much zero chance of this happening. The Prequels are as flawed as they are because people were afraid to tell Lucas "actually this is kind of shit." Everything from casting to writing to direction was compromised by his overbearing control.

The best Star Wars films were highly collaborative, with Lucas's weak areas delegated to or heavily influenced by qualified people who could rewrite dialogue, pull better performances out of actors, and generally execute Lucas's vision better than he could himself.

Now, under Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm can put the right people in the right creative roles without running afoul of a stubborn auteur.

I don't feel an ounce of inspiration, sincerity, truth, or commitment to integrity from Disney's take on Lucas' universe so far. Just a very polished and very practised approach to giving paying customers what they want.
That's very unfortunate, but it doesn't mean the new Star Wars movies actually lack those qualities. The implication that the Prequels are more authentic and worthy Star Wars films than TFA and Rogue One because the Prequels bear all the signs of Lucas's self-indulgence and critical poverty is frankly weird when you go back and actually look at the quality of those films. There's no way Kennedy would let stand the level of terrible acting and phony emotion we see in Anakin and Padme's love scenes, or Anakin submitting to Palpatine after the Mace Windu battle.

Maybe a little polish and discipline is exactly what the series needs after its standards were permitted to slip so low. It would be utter lunacy to suggest that TFA or RO damaged the franchise as badly as even one of the Prequels. (Do we want to compare the effect of TFA on Han's character to the effect of ROTS on Vader's?) And even on a subjective level, it's hard to see how anyone with even a rudimentary sense of how humans behave and how stories are told could believe the Prequels are better movies than the post-Lucas entries.

Because when I think authentic Star Wars I don't think re-use of props from ANH to tell a war story set as a direct predecessor to the original.

Nah I think "WHACKY ALIENS IN THIS 50'S DINER THAT'S HERE IN SPACE FOR SOME REASON"

Nah, people told him.

He just didn't really give a fuck.

But people did tell him. Maybe not as many as people might have liked, though.

The most telling featurettes on I can't remember what release of the prequels is a bunch of people around Lucas telling him "no this won't work" and he laughs it off and does it anyway. It's played up as a laugh as a "nah I was right" think on the discs but watching them I go "wow yeah no wonder these sucked"

Nah, people told him.

The popular thing to say was that he was surrounded by "yes men"

It's more like... he was paying for them, he was writing them, he was directing them. Nobody had any say. I'm sure he took a lot of suggestions, I know he got help writing Attack of the Clones, hell if I'm not mistaken I think he asked Fisher for advice when it came to the romance, but... yeah. Still didn't quite work out lol

Monocle

Nah, people told him.

What a shame. Who were these people? Surely not Rick McCallum?

I got the distinct impression from some of the behind the scenes docs and interviews for TPM that people were both cowed by Lucas and eager to please him. I wish the people who did speak up had insisted harder. It was painful to watch Lucas cast the wrong kid actor for Anakin, and pick inferior designs in his art department meetings.

Still, who can say how it'll turn out, but if everything so far has been remotely true, it sounds like Lord and Miller were directing this shit like hipsters and I'm pretty sure it'd have been much worse if they were allowed to keep it up.

Just out of curiosity, what in these rumors do you consider hipster directing choices?

Just out of curiosity, what in these rumors do you consider hipster directing choices?

They're young directors and the rumors are that pretty much nobody involved thought they were directing it properly, that their style was haphazard and they weren't getting a performance out of Alden that was very "Han Solo." As much as certain people scream about Star Wars needing to take "risks," if you're making a movie about Han Solo just prior to Episode IV, I think Han Solo needs to, ya know, feel like Han Solo. I'm not sure just how much I buy into the rumors that they were getting a performance out of him akin to Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura, but going by everything I've seen from these guys, and the fact that they're younger, I can see them trying to make it more "hip and cool."

I don't mind a slight deviation in style and I don't mind trying new things, but I doubt Kasdan wrote and envisioned this Han Solo to be some kind of overly quirky and tongue-in-cheek character. The Han Solo in Episode IV was funny through cool, mostly well-written dialogue and interaction with other characters. It sounds like they were going really overboard with their vision of the character to try and make him more slapstick than what Han Solo actually is-- which, by that, I mean not slapstick whatsoever.

It's fun to go after the throats of the producers and "old fogies" like Kasdan, but I trust Kasdan, the guy that co-wrote Empire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Force Awakens, etc over Lord and Miller. If Kasdan and Kennedy and Alden were against what they were doing, I'll take the "old fogy" opinions, who know that character through and through, over some younger guys that were apparently sending this movie down the highway to hell. But again these are all rumors, second-hand information, so it's hard to know exactly what went down, but we're all making comments and conjecture over said rumors.

They're young directors and the rumors are that pretty much nobody involved thought they were directing it properly, that their style was haphazard and they weren't getting a performance out of Alden that was very "Han Solo." As much as certain people scream about Star Wars needing to take "risks," if you're making a movie about Han Solo just prior to Episode IV, I think Han Solo needs to, ya know, feel like Han Solo. I'm not sure just how much I buy into the rumors that they were getting a performance out of him akin to Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura, but going by everything I've seen from these guys, and the fact that they're younger, I can see them trying to make it more "hip and cool."

I don't mind a slight deviation in style and I don't mind trying new things, but I doubt Kasdan wrote and envisioned this Han Solo to be some kind of overly quirky and tongue-in-cheek character. The Han Solo in Episode IV was funny through cool, mostly well-written dialogue and interaction with other characters. It sounds like they were going really overboard with their vision of the character to try and make him more slapstick than what Han Solo actually is-- which, by that, I mean not slapstick whatsoever.

It's fun to go after the throats of the producers and "old fogies" like Kasdan, but I trust Kasdan, the guy that co-wrote Empire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Force Awakens, etc over Lord and Miller. If Kasdan and Kennedy and Alden were against what they were doing, I'll take the "old fogy" opinions, who know that character through and through, over some younger guys that were apparently sending this movie down the highway to hell. But again these are all rumors, second-hand information, so it's hard to know exactly what went down, but we're all making comments and conjecture over said rumors.

I get where you're coming from on a lot of those points, ultimately it really depends on how many of those leaks are true, and unfortunately the deeper we get into this thing, the more the leaks conflict.

So far as Lord and Miller making this hip and cool for the sake of it, I don't see it like that. It's the same easy argument as "Kasdan is past his prime", just in reverse. The downplaying of their skills and accomplishments by referencing their age is as bad as trashing Kasdan for his age. Edgar Wright is young-ish as well, is his directing style legitimate, or is he trying to make things hip and cool?

How do we define what is "Star Wars enough" within a semi-comedic western spin-off origin story? The main saga films are easier to nail down, but these spin-offs are a bit tougher to define and it's likely even more subjective. It wouldn't surprise me to find out both Kasdan's version and Lord and Miller's version were likely equally good and valid, but might not be stylistically compatible with each other.

It took Marvel awhile to get comfortable enough start letting folks like Gunn and Waititi play in their sandbox, so some of this clash might just be that it is too soon for Lucasfilm to let a crazier Star Wars spin-offs happen.

On a vaguely related note:

What dialogue do you think would be better?

- Word for word Kasdan Lando?
- Donald Glover improv Lando?

It could be either or a mix of both, but Glover having the freedom to explore that with Lord and Miller sets up an interesting dynamic that the traditional Lucasfilm (as described by the leaks) way of doing things really doesn't seem to allow.

In today's conflicting leak news, via Screen Rant:

Per Star Wars News Net, a reel was shown to Disney licensees about a month ago, and the reaction was very positive. The outlet indicates Alden Ehrenreich’s turn as Han Solo and Donald Glover’s Lando Calrissian in particular were highlights

To add more fuel to the fire, from the Hollywood Reporter:

Returning to Twitter for the first time since he and his co-director were fired from the Han Solo Star Wars stand-alone film, Chris Miller tweeted a message that appears to be from A New Hope — and, if so, it says a lot.

"Situation normal," Miller tweeted.

The Disney licensees supposedly loved Ehrenreich’s performance, which calls into question the last minute emergency acting coach rumor. It looks like the Lord and Miller footage being "very usable" rumor appears to be true.

No clue what the tweet could mean, it could be nothing, or point to more drama going on behind the scenes.

Kadayi

Banned
It's almost like this was a bad idea from the start.

I suspect the intent is to get young actors on board, so in about ten years once they've milked the existing narrative, they can reboot the entire series from near scratch and remake Star Wars itself.

Dead

well not really...yet
This was never really going to be a real Han Solo movie, getting Alden to act more like Harrison Ford will just make for another glib facsimile at best.

Sounds like Lord and Miller had the right idea. Realized it was a shit idea for a movie and tried to make something fun and irreverent out if it. Shame.

Top Bottom