• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Ron Howard frontrunner to take over directing Han Solo film

Kin5290

So a hack who hasn't made a single good big budget film since 1995. Jesus, it really is Ant-Man 2.0. Maybe even worse since Star Wars>Marvel.
Ant Man was good, though. Maybe a little forgettable, but a freaking Han Solo movie isn't exactly a featured attraction.

Grinchy

Banned
Why do they want to put this movie out in May, anyway? Isn't that just 5 months after Episode VIII? I would have thought they'd put this out a year later so they could have a Star Wars movie out every holiday season.

Oozer3993

I kinda hope Joe Johnston gets it, who's also in the running apparently.

As much as I like Ron Howard (and it's a lot; the dude made Apollo 13), I think I'd prefer Joe Johnston too. The Rocketeer and Captain America are excellent character introductions, and he has more experience with Star Wars than any director not named George Lucas.

*jumps back into thread*

This is true

*runs out of thread again*

tumblr_o8fmvp1fCj1uy0ssdo1_500.gif

Again, whoever they get isn't putting their stamp on this thing. It pretty much doesn't matter which of those two hyper-competent shooters they grab to finish the last 3 weeks + reshoots. It just needs to be someone who will hit the pages the way Kasdan wants 'em hit, and will work w/ the editor. Either one of them can get that done. Howard's probably got a better sense of comic timing than Johnston does, so that's probably why they're looking at him.

And I really, really don't think it's making that May release. We're probably gonna hear that it's hitting December in the next month or so. Maybe D23.

Well on the one hand you have Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon and Rush.

On the other you have The Da Vinci Code and The Dilemma.

Who knows which Ron Howard you might get?

You'll get neither, because it won't be a Ron Howard movie. He'll wrap principle and do reshoots to match Kasdan's vision, and will massage the remainder of what's been filmed to try and make it as cohesive as possible.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Howard is a damn fine choice. Not every director has a spotless record, but it's not like Howard hasn't proven himself to be a great director.

The Argus

Howard is a damn fine choice. Not every director has a spotless record, but it's not like Howard hasn't proven himself to be a great director.

Agreed. People in this topic are dog piling on the RH hate train. The man has made some great movies. He knows how to make things feel fast. He knows how to pull off great space scenes. I think this is a great choice.

What were you all expecting? David Lynch to take over? Jeesh.

Top Bottom