• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

TheXbox

One thing's clear to me: Larry played himself. You picked these dudes, these improv comedy directors, they do the thing those dudes have always done, and now you're pissed at them? Come on, son.

Since Bobby was bringing this up earlier about how Howard would only get official credit as the director of the film if his reshoots are massive, I think that's exactly what the film's in for, judging by how Lucasfilm gave Ron Howard this big announcement post on their website earlier today.

http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-ho...-the-untitled-han-solo-film?cmp=smc|946758536

As far as I can remember, Tony Gilroy never got this sort of announcement for helming the reshoots for Rogue One last year and the announcement outright calls Ron Howard the film's new director. Sooo yeah, looks like extensive reshoots are incoming if the plan is to give Howard the directing credits.

That said, I'm still really skeptical of that May 2018 release date. Especially if they are planning to reshoot a lot more in order to give RH the directing credits.
Can we actually say for sure that Gilroy 'helmed' the reshoots, as opposed to advising, rewriting, or co-directing? All I know is that the dude got a writing credit and a big fat fucking paycheck.

Blader

Edwards was still working on Rogue One, Lord and Miller are not still on this. I think if Edwards had been fired, Gilroy would've/could've been named director.

Since Bobby was bringing this up earlier about how Howard would only get official credit as the director of the film if his reshoots are massive, I think that's exactly what the film's in for, judging by how Lucasfilm gave Ron Howard this big announcement post on their website earlier today.

http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-ho...-the-untitled-han-solo-film?cmp=smc|946758536

As far as I can remember, Tony Gilroy never got this sort of announcement for helming the reshoots for Rogue One last year and the announcement outright calls Ron Howard the film's new director. Sooo yeah, looks like extensive reshoots are incoming if the plan is to give Howard the directing credits.

That said, I'm still really skeptical of that May 2018 release date. Especially if they are planning to reshoot a lot more in order to give RH the directing credits.

Edwards wasn't pulled though. While Gilroy headed up the reshoots, he was still collaborating with Edwards. And Edwards himself wrapped principle. It's different here because Lord & Miller are straight up gone, during principle.

I still don't think this will be enough to net Howard the director credit.

I meant Alden Ehrenreich. He precipitated the firing, apparently. Shoot would've gone on if he didn't snitch.

If that's true Alden might end up being the hero we needed.

I'm sure he already feels substantial pressure with it all to begin with for obvious reasons. Now imagine being on set, understanding fully these expectations and a lot of people downright saying you can't do this in addition to the direction you're getting not feeling like you even have a say in the matter.

aBarreras

yeah it is not like people are loving the casting choice, can you imagine if the movie turned to be bad?

Alden caree will probably finished.

(i know that hollywood likes to give white males several chances but still)

Blader

I meant Alden Ehrenreich. He precipitated the firing, apparently. Shoot would've gone on if he didn't snitch.

Yeah, I misread, sorry about that.

Still, whatever he was concerned about (and assuming that story is true) was clearly reflected in the footage that Kennedy and Kasdan were watching come in, so it's not as if they just acted on his word.

Yeah, I saw someone else bring that up as well: The wording in the press release definitely makes it sound like they kinda intend for this to be a Ron Howard movie now.

But if he's really only shooting for 3 weeks plus the 6 they have scheduled for reshoots, AND they're planning on sticking to that May date (which they repeated) I don't know how you manage to shoot enough footage to be able to give him the credit.

It's kind of a weird situation there.

People have been comparing it to Superman II, I've noticed, and superficially, that makes sense.

Donner got kicked off the film after having finished something like 75-80% of the footage needed for Superman II. They hadn't come up with an ending (since they moved it to Superman: The Movie in post) and some other things weren't grabbed yet, but that movie was mostly done. They brought in Lester, and essentially mandated Lester shoot just enough so that he could qualify for the Directed By credit and Donner wouldn't get it.

The major difference is that the split between the Salkinds & Pierre Spengler (producers on the film) and Donner wasn't really creative. They just didn't like each other. And the Salkinds were fucking crooks, for the most part. They were always having money problems, they were lying to people constantly, and at some point, as the relationship between Donner deteriorated (again, not based on the quality of the work, just based on how much it was costing) they began looking for whatever means they could to undermine him, and jettison him as soon as possible. The post-production on Superman: The Movie gave them that opportunity, and they took it.

Basically: Donner's getting cut out of Superman II was done as a malicious, cost-cutting endeavor primarily to fatten their own pockets via cheaping out on the sequel.

I have a hard time believing Kennedy & Kasdan are engaging in a similar sort of situation with Lord & Miller, and it doesn't make sense for them to ask Howard to come in and basically reshoot something like 50-60% of what Lord & Miller did for the sole purpose of getting their name off the credit block. It certainly won't be saving them any money to do so.

Especially not in the time frame they're apparently still shooting for. Yesterday I thought it was done deal they're pushing it back (maybe not December, but SOMEWHERE later down the calendar) but now I'm thinking they're really gonna stick to that May date.

And if they are, Howard simply isn't going to have enough time, even IF Lucasfilm had the will, to contribute to erasing Lord & Miller's name from the project.

Yeah, I've thought about all of this a lot. It all just raises a bunch of question marks to me. That press release is definitely worded in such a way as to indicate that the film is now Ron Howard's work, rather than Lord & Miller, but they've (yet again) reinforced that the release date is in May 2018.

Just feels weird to me.

Fisty

Honestly man it's something we've all been over so many times it would be damn near comedic to hit it up again. Not to be rude or anything like that, it's just not something I really care to argue about anymore.

Trust me I know, I was just curious if anyone had actually come up with anything yet. I was there on release day.

android

Theoretical Magician
If they were actually going for a 21 Jump Street esq Han Solo movie .. fuck that. glad they were removed. That sort of humor is the reason Space Balls was created. Keep it there.

aBarreras

Yeah, I misread, sorry about that.

Still, whatever he was concerned about (and assuming that story is true) was clearly reflected in the footage that Kennedy and Kasdan were watching come in, so it's not as if they just acted on his word.

i mean he is the one that have the most to lose. if the movie sucked...

emilia clark would be fine
donald glover would be fine
woody harrelson would be fine
Lord Miller would be fine, and people probably would have blame the story or script or anything except them both

Jarmel

Banned
If they were actually going for a 21 Jump Street esq Han Solo movie .. fuck that. glad they were removed. That sort of humor is the reason Space Balls was created. Keep it there.

Would most likely have been more entertaining than what we're going to get.

Whole lotta crystal balls in this thread wrt what the final product will be.

I remember hearing how Rogue One was going to suck, and it's the third best SW movie (not that there aren't a lot of bad ones).

liquidtmd

Banned
Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage (which is also a normal part of the production process, but this is where things get interesting).

Parse this sentence from the SWNN report

Led to her decision to look over existing footage? Yes they acknowledge it's a normal part of production but let's be real - Kennedy would have been reviewing the dailies periodically and is by all accounts absolutely hands on enough for it not need an opinion from Enrenreich to get back to her to go back and review this.

I take absolutely everything with a pinch of salt from both sides of this argument, but they've been shooting for a long time. If Lord and Miller were running around from day dot getting him to act like Jim Carrey, Im kinda sure she would have known from day 2 or 3 after the fact.

Trust me I know, I was just curious if anyone had actually come up with anything yet. I was there on release day.

It's not that people haven't come up with stuff, it's just a matter of disagreement.

I've explained many times here why I don't think it feels like a rehash or whatever.

jett

D-Member
I find the Ace Ventura shit easy to believe simply based on LM's previous work, heh. Zany is exactly how I would describe their style. I'm really not sure what KK was thinking when they brought this two on.

Regardless if that bit is true or not, it doesn't matter, they have been fired and replaced already, and Howard is certainly not gonna jimcarrey this thing.

sphagnum

Banned
The fact that the press release specifies how Lucasfilm wants to retain the spirit of the saga makes it obvious that L&M were veering way off into overly comedic territory.

The threat is that now that the brand is refreshed and relevant again it could easily be killed or damaged by a bad movie.

I imagine that the last few weeks of shooting combined with the reshoot time will end up all being used to reshoot most of the movie. No way is Ron taking someone else's dirty laundry putting it on. Why would they do reshoots against Rons own shooting on this schedule? It'll be as much of a Mulligan as they can take. If the tone is that far off base it is all they can do.

BTW, Irvin Kershner was historically a bad director as was Marquand. Both were effectively puppets. Did it matter? George ran those productions.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The fact that the press release specifies how Lucasfilm wants to retain the spirit of the saga makes it obvious that L&M were veering way off into overly comedic territory.

I mean, they've successfully managed to make me rather glad that they booted Lord and Miller off the project...so either way, excellent PR work.

Only if they tell the truth.

Even if they did, people would still go with their own fantastical narratives :p

They obviously sugar things up with appropriately-worded PR. And while it's not usually the complete truth, I think they're being earnest in what they're saying. When Lord and Miller say that they were simply having creative differences, I think that's absolutely straight up the case; and vice-versa with Kennedy's statement.

We'll never really know specifics, but the only actual thing that matters is how the movie turns out in the long run. I would be really interested in knowing more specifics, just completely out of interest and where things got dicey.

liquidtmd

Banned
I find the Ace Ventura shit easy to believe simply based on LM's previous work, heh. Zany is exactly how I would describe their style. I'm really not sure what KK was thinking when they brought this two on.

Regardless if that bit is true or not, it doesn't matter, they have been fired and replaced already, and Howard is certainly not gonna jimcarrey this thing.

Four good - very well received movies that have grossed over a $1 billion playing very well to a young - young adult demo, with some solid critical kudos thrown their way also.

It was a solid enough gamble to get them on, regardless of the differences that drove them apart.

Mariolee

Yes. I was interested in Lord and Miller, not Han Solo.

This is where I'm at.

The appeal of spin offs to me were that they could go in crazy new directions in the Star Wars universe with the big risk of it sucking. Because its a spin off they could drop it easily and act like it never happened, but at least we would have ended up with an interesting experiment.

One thing I know is that I don't want another by the numbers safe Star Wars, because I'm ALREADY getting that with the saga films.

One thing I know is that I don't want another by the numbers safe Star Wars, because I'm ALREADY getting that with the saga films.
It's a bit premature to say that when we've only had one post-Disney saga film thus far. Johnson's definitely going to provide something different.

Blastoise

Banned
I don't think anyone was happy about a young Han movie until Lord & Miller were announced to direct.

I remember the internet back then.

BTW, Irvin Kershner was historically a bad director as was Marquand. Both were effectively puppets. Did it matter? George ran those productions.

Describing Kersh's work on Empire as puppetry is horseshit. Lucas didn't run Empire's production. Kurtz did. It's why they fell out, and why George did what he did on Jedi.

android

Theoretical Magician

nah.... you really wanted to see the drug trip, wackey plush characters scene?? sight gags? its Star Wars.. I'm sorry there's a place, this isn't it.. Ron Howard might be "boring" or an Oscar chaser but he is solid. If the scripts is there, it'll be good.

I'm just glad we wont have to hear a stupid Han Solo catch phrase like Smoking or Groovy baby all year. That would have been the lamest shit ever. It's not Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks and those stupid droids are a prime example of why it does not work.

bill0527

If that's true Alden might end up being the hero we needed.

I'm sure he already feels substantial pressure with it all to begin with for obvious reasons. Now imagine being on set, understanding fully these expectations and a lot of people downright saying you can't do this in addition to the direction you're getting not feeling like you even have a say in the matter.

Even if his performance his shit, he knows there's a lot riding on his performance in this movie.

If L&M are making him look like a buffoon doing slapstick BS, I don't blame him at all for complaining about it. Snitches get stitches but in this case, snitches might get future big pay days.

Mariolee

Even if people debate its quality, I kind of feel this was what Rogue One was about.

Sure, I can see that.

Nope, Lucasfilm's position is that everything is canon, so that's why it has to fit within the framework of the rest of the series.

It can be canon, but it doesn't have to be acknowledged, if that makes sense. Like Jar Jar Binks is god awful and he's canon, but outside of a paragraph in a novel and the animated series they don't seem to have any obligation to refer to him in these new films at all.

It's a bit premature to say that when we've only had one post-Disney saga film thus far. Johnson's definitely going to provide something different.

I'm sure it will be, but as a saga film it seems like it's clear there are still very hard parameters to work within. I just thought the spin-offs would be a lot more different.

It can be canon, but it doesn't have to be acknowledged, if that makes sense. Like Jar Jar Binks is god awful and he's canon, but outside of a paragraph in a novel and the animated series they don't seem to have any obligation to refer to him in these new films at all.
We're talking about Han Solo here though. The idea of a prequel exploring his past is something a lot of people weren't keen on in the first place, especially after the prequels. If they get it wrong, it won't be forgotten easily.

Even if his performance his shit, he knows there's a lot riding on his performance in this movie.

If L&M are making him look like a buffoon doing slapstick BS, I don't blame him at all for complaining about it. Snitches get stitches but in this case, snitches might get future big pay days.

Yep. I like Lord and Miller but it seems they stepped over a pretty big line.

I imagine seeing Han Solo, iconic movie character, played like a wacky cartoon character would piss a lot of people off.

Especially not in the time frame they're apparently still shooting for. Yesterday I thought it was done deal they're pushing it back (maybe not December, but SOMEWHERE later down the calendar) but now I'm thinking they're really gonna stick to that May date.

If that May release date holds, they must feel somewhat confident they can salvage a lot of footage they already have.

On a related note, where do you weigh in on the quality of what Lord and Miller shot?

We have a Making Star Wars rumor that claims they were making Star Wars Ace Ventura, yet there is a Mike Sampson tweet mentioning everyone he talked to loving their take on the material.

I'm curious where you think the truth lies between those two rumors...

I thought Rogue One was a little different. Even aside from the actual film there was no opening crawl which annoyed a lot of people. It had a CG Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher. It killed off the entire main cast. I know some people that were like, there's no opening crawl? That's not Star Wars. Fuck this. I'd say it "took risks."

Though by the way some talk about taking risks, I think the bar for that around here might be a little ludicrous. Even with Last Jedi, if some people find anything in it that they can remotely correlate with Empire, they'll also try and claim that one wasn't risky and just a rehash of Empire.

I dunno, I'm just over the whole "they didn't take risks and it's just by the numbers" thing going around. A movie can feel similar and also have new ideas. Execution is the most important aspect of a film for me. I don't care what ideas or bold "risks" someone has; if the execution is off, or bad, I'm not sure why it matters. They're making a Han Solo movie. I think Han Solo should feel like Han Solo.

I'm not talking about "feels like" though, here's an article

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awakens-and-a-new-hope-comparison/

I know what you're talking about. I know all the similarities people have listed. I've only seen them six billion times. :p

btrboyev

Haven't like any L&M movie, and although Han definitely had a sarcastic tone and Harrison had great comedic timing, the movie in no way shape or form should be a comedy, which sound like it was shaping up as.

kevin1025

Banned
Honestly man it's something we've all been over so many times it would be damn near comedic to hit it up again. Not to be rude or anything like that, it's just not something I really care to argue about anymore.

It's best to just say, "sure, it's a remake," and to move on. I definitely don't think it is, but it's always funny to see some say it like it's meant to be such a reductive remark. Sure, let's call it a remake, if you want. It's a damn good one, then.

Was Han always miserable? Does he have to be? I feel like I'm not interested in a by the numbers Star Wars spin-off. The lighter tone of the project had my attention.

Even if it gets pushed to December I can't imagine Lucasfilm pushing the money needed to basically pay for an entire new principal photography run on the film to remake it damn near from scratch to get him the credit.

I think they just take the "loss" on this one, rather than throw an additional $50-60M in what I'm sure is an effects heavy movie in reshoots.

Mariolee

We're talking about Han Solo here though. The idea of a prequel exploring his past is something a lot of people weren't keen on in the first place, especially after the prequels. If they get it wrong, it won't be forgotten easily.

In canon, it can absolutely be forgotten easily seeing as how this particular story has never been brought up before so it can't be that important to the overall Star Wars universe.

In reality, I personally don't give a shit if fans forget or not. I just want to see what Lord and Miller could do with a Star Wars comedy, and now I can't get that. That's why I GET why Lucasfilm fired them, but I'm disappointed that they did.

And we keep acting like this would have been absolutely abysmal, but it would be strange if after all this time and several successful projects of turning bad ideas into amazing movies, this film would be L+M's first misstep. I just don't see it.

It's best to just say, "sure, it's a remake," and to move on. I definitely don't think it is, but it's always funny to see some say it like it's meant to be such a reductive remark. Sure, let's call it a remake, if you want. It's a damn good one, then.

I mean, I like conversation. It's just that this thing specifically is so tired to me and I fundamentally disagree with everything about it. I don't mind people thinking whatever, but when it becomes part of the debate-- it's just kind of a stopping point for me because it's the sudden realization that you're arguing from completely opposite sides so it may just be a waste of time for all parties involved.

Top Bottom