• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

Toa TAK

Banned
Brian Tyler wouldn't kill me either since he's done good themes, but I think there's waaaay better choices out there. Hell, give Thomas Newman a crack at it.

I think Bryan Tyler is a good guy, I like hearing him talk about scores, I like his enthusiasm, his energy, I like basically everything about him... but his actual film scores.

He's okay. Just never clicked. I dunno.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think Bryan Tyler is a good guy, I like hearing him talk about scores, I like his enthusiasm, his energy, I like basically everything about him... but his actual film scores.

He's okay. Just never clicked. I dunno.
That's how I feel, generally.

I have yet to hear something that really launches him, from his work in film and games combined.

As if they're not just going to reuse the Rebel motif for the umpteenth time.

That and the Star Wars Main Title tend to be the pieces of music that go with Han doing something heroic in the Original Trilogy. It's kinda weird. The Main Title is Luke's theme, and for a lot of Star Wars Han isn't even a rebel, so the fanfare doesn't quite fit, either.

But yeah, the Rebel Fanfare will likely get a lot of workout.

I guess it's possible whoever they hire just.. won't write a Han theme. In which case maybe they will get Zimmer, and have him provide the sort of tonal underscore that doesn't rely on adding to what Williams already built the way Giacchino did.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The most offensive thing to me in this video is that the lyrics are about being free from carbonite while dancing in the very place he gets frozen

Ruining the metaphorical attempt the entire song is built on

You literally do not know what you're talking about. Han dancing just outside of the carbonite chamber works on a variety of levels, both literal and metaphorical. By utilizing the chamber as the primary dance environment for the lavish Cloud City dance-off competition, the creators establish key visual signifiers in the background to subtly remind the audience of Han's past confinement within the carbonite itself, and as such....by allowing us to watch him dance so freely and gracefully around the staging area, as well as with such confidence, Han Solo' new found freedom is emphatically emphasised as the primary central theme of the entire show-number throughout its duration. Symbols of trauma within the tragic location are reinterpreted as symbols of growth and personal rebirth. Through keeping the chamber in view....for both the characters and we as the audience ourselves, the dance attains a far greater metaphorical power in reminding us just how far Han has come, by expressly reminding us just why he feels so "good he feels tonight" and that now because "the carbonite has gone", our hero will finally be able to begin the process of "movin on".

They could just repurpose all of his Toy Story songs. I feel like most of them would work.

I really enjoyed Newman's scorework for We Need To Talk About Kevin.

So what's this about Alden having concerns about the movie now?

Well, that keeps getting complicated.

I think the first we heard was that part of the reason Production started seriously coming down on Lord & Miller was due to Ehrenreich notifying the higher ups that he was worried about the tone of both his performance as directed by L&M, and the tone of the movie in general. So he's being cast as the whistleblower in some narratives, basically.

But then it was revealed that his performance was apparently being judged "wanting" enough by Lord and Miller AND apparently the production that an "emergency acting coach" (wha?) was approved and then brought in to help get his performance in line with... someone's vision, I guess.

So right now, he was apparently great in the audition, and at some point (someone in the know namedropped Ace Ventura as a comparison) the performance started getting really broad and not Solo-y, so he told the producers, who apparently brought on an acting coach?

I think?

A lot of this doesn't make much sense, really.

Typically though: An acting coach isn't a big deal. It's not a sign of no-confidence in your actors. Acting coaches/dialect coaches - those are jobs that are needed on a set on a lot of films, and if your production can afford one, you spring for one, because if you can help massage the performances to their best potential, why wouldn't you, right?

The mere presence of an acting coach isn't a bad thing, same as the knowledge that reshoots are happening doesn't mean the movie is irreparably harmed. But why the coach was hired ,and why the reshoots were scheduled.. that's a li'l different.

I think Joss Whedon would have been a great fit for this film. Surprised he went to WB.

Maybe he doesn't want to do a blockbuster with a white male lead though lol

I just watched 21 Jump Street for the first time last night and now I'm sad I'll probably never get to see the Lord & Miller cut of this movie.

Had GAF existed in 1968 there would be just as many of you bitching about how they should end the James Bond movies without Sean Connery.
Ok

You can find another guy like Harrison Ford in theory. As culture changes and the world changes it gets harder as time goes on. But they won't choose that person.

No reason in acting like you do cause you want to be right and disagree with people. You also aren't right. But you can if you want. I am me, I'm not gaf btw and I hardly ever have a popular opinion to even be near gaf majority.

I think it's simply a matter of taking the plunge and hoping the interpretation you provide is good enough that people will simply... get used to it.

It's what happened with Pine/Quinto, really.

Solo

This might be shocking to you, but some of us are actually not that concerned about building a cult of personality around our presence on a videogame forum

caNvezA.gif

Schlorgan

I think the best thing for Lucasfilm and for this movie would be to put it out of it's misery. I don't see how this does anything but damage the brand.

I can't see Lucasfilm just eating the $200mil and an entire movie if it doesn't turn out exactly the way they wanted it, or even like 60% of what they were aiming for.

I can't imagine Disney allows them (YES, I SAID "DISNEY ALLOWS" in a sentence and MEANT IT) to punch a big hole in their release schedule (and potential revenue) by just yanking a finished film and burying it.

No way that happens.

zsynqx

Disappointing.

I'm still very excited for episode 8 but after that, I'm not expecting much from these new Star Wars films.

Tobor

If anything they delay it and reshoot a lot more.

But from everything I'm reading it's salvageable. Ron Howard will pull it together.

I can't see Lucasfilm just eating the $200 and an entire movie if it doesn't turn out exactly the way they wanted it, or even like 60% of what they were aiming for.

I can't imagine Disney allows them (YES, I SAID "DISNEY ALLOWS" in a sentence and MEANT IT) to punch a big hole in their release schedule (and potential revenue) by just yanking a finished film and burying it.

No way that happens.

If Hollywood still shoved Alien 3 through after its clusterfuck production Han Solo should be a no-biggie for them.

Surfinn

I can't imagine Disney all-
LUCASFIL- oh

I can't imagine they'd cancel the thing unless they felt it was so incredibly offensive to the SW/Han brand they felt it would actually do more harm than good following through with salvaging the film.

In which case they wouldn't have just hired another director to finish this thing up, I'd think.

yeah, if it was that unsalvageable, they woulda never undergone the rigmarole in getting Ron Howard. They'd have just shitcanned everything once they started assembling footage.

Tobor

yeah, if it was that unsalvageable, they woulda never undergone the rigmarole in getting Ron Howard. They'd have just shitcanned everything once they started assembling footage.

Same the other way around. I can't imagine Howard taking the job if the movie was unsaveable.

Toa TAK

Banned
This might be shocking to you, but some of us are actually not that concerned about building a cult of personality around our presence on a videogame forum
What the fuck happened in this thread this point on? I'm laughing but why.

Makes the Homecoming thread look sane.

Does this mean I can get a cult, too?

What the fuck happened in this thread this point on? I'm laughing but why.

I bring it out of people, I guess.

Anyway, if I have a cult, and I'm part of your cult, and Bronson's cult encompasses all those cults, and we're all in thrall to the cult of K-Swiss, I'm not sure what all that means, but I'm also not sure it's necessarily a bad place to be, either.

Tobor

In my opinion, this was never going to be good (at least not as a movie). This is the sort of thing that you make a novel of or a comic book of, not a film. They just need to kill it and move on.

Not to single you out, but you were the last one to express this particular opinion.

You can't imagine a single scenario where watching Han and Chewie and Lando smuggling and stuff in the Millenium Falcon might be enjoyable? It's that impossible of a movie to make?

To me this is as obvious as it gets. Firefly was practically this same concept and it was awesome.

Not to single you out, but you were the last one to express this particular opinion.

You can't imagine a single scenario where watching Han and Chewie and Lando smuggling and stuff in the Millenium Falcon might be enjoyable? It's that impossible of a movie to make?

To me this is as obvious as it gets. Firefly was practically this same concept and it was awesome.

I think for most people, the hold up is recasting Ford.

But also, I'm fear that giving Solo a character arc may take a little enjoyment away from it all, making it feel contrived or 'demystified'. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I can say I've had no interest in seeing it attempted.

But since it's happening, I hope to god they somehow pull off wonders.

Tobor

I think for most people, the hold up is recasting Ford.

But also, I'm fear that giving Solo a character arc may take a little enjoyment away from it all, making it feel contrived or 'demystified'. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I can say I've had no interest in seeing it attempted.

But since it's happening, I hope to god they somehow pull off wonders.

There was a series of three books written in the 70's called the Han Solo adventures. They weren't bad at all and had this same premise. Han and Chewie tearing up space before A New Hope. I liked them a lot as a kid, and it always stuck with me that it would make a great series of movies or a tv show. Firefly only reinforced that opinion.

So I guess I'm on Kasdan's side here. There is a great Han Solo movie waiting to be made. If it fails, it won't be the concepts fault.

Those Brian Daley novels are pretty fun. I don't know how "star warsy" they are considering they were written before that concept really got solidified, but Brian Daley knew how to make those characters fun. He did it in the Radio Dramas, too.

I think the best thing for Lucasfilm and for this movie would be to put it out of it's misery. I don't see how this does anything but damage the brand.

I'd be ecstatic if this movie was cancelled, but cmon there's no way they would do that this late into the game.

I bring it out of people, I guess.

Anyway, if I have a cult, and I'm part of your cult, and Bronson's cult encompasses all those cults, and we're all in thrall to the cult of K-Swiss, I'm not sure what all that means, but I'm also not sure it's necessarily a bad place to be, either.

Doesn't Slayven have the biggest GAF cult?

Lol what does this even mean

You were trying to insult me and you instead insulted everyone else who has ever interacted and or talked to me, Lace. And again - since you're the only one who actually even sees a cult of personality built around me (or that I'm trying to build one - what the fuck would I even do with it, dude?) it really does seem like you're way more concerned with it than I've ever been.

Like, look: If you're approaching a forum as if it's a thing you can... "win" or whatever, that's weird. The whole point is to have fun bullshitting with each other over the things we like (and dislike). If you're catching feelings because other people pay attention to me and I pay attention back, or because I disagree with your opinion on a thing, that's not my fault man. That's on you. And if you think my having fun talking with the group (and them yapping back) about all manner of meaningless star fights bullshit is being done to serve some weird ulterior motive - that says more about how you see this place than it does about how I use it.

You blew a whistle and a whole bunch of sensitive boys lined up behind you, and it was weird.

You made the thread weird, Lacey.

Doesn't Slayven have the biggest GAF cult?

Yeah, there's people here going back like 15 years or whatever. Naturally people who have been around for awhile are going to recognize their personalities and respond/react accordingly.

molnizzle

You blew a whistle and a whole bunch of sensitive boys lined up behind you, and it was weird.

You made the thread weird, Lacey.

...you're the one making it weird now.

He was just poking fun at you for trying to be the grandmaster of every Star Wars thread. As was everyone else. The fact that you've gone and made these elaborate defense posts proves that his little remark cut deeper than you'd care to admit.

Just take the L and move on.

Top Bottom