• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Ron Howard frontrunner to take over directing Han Solo film

4pbzgVA.gif

I missed this before.

This is good.

rekameohs

Banned
This isn't going to magically become a Ron Howard movie, just like Rogue One didn't become a Tony Gilroy movie

They're getting a pro to line shit back up with the screenplay the way Kasdan/Kennedy want. Whatever Howard does is likely not going to be enough to either take Lord & Miller's names off the credit block, or get his name put on it.

If they get him, they're getting Opie to coast this over the finish line and into the editing room where they can cut things into the shape they want. That's it.
So he's just a hop-on?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Can we get Clint Howard in as young Han? He'll be great in the scene where a Wookie tears the arms of Hans jacket off before Han looks down and goes "Hey not half bad!"

Fevaweva

People acting like Ron Howard isn't good enough for a Star Wars film. Man. Yes he has some clunkers, but he can still direct the shit out of a film when needed.

Z was three weeks into production before recasting. This movie has three weeks left and on a bigger budget with sharks of shareholder's drooling from the mouth.

I know it is unlikely. It isn't often movies have this sort of thing happen to them either. Usually it is a sign that things are majorly wrong and with things this wrong it is interesting to see the fallout.

This isn't going to magically become a Ron Howard movie, just like Rogue One didn't become a Tony Gilroy movie

They're getting a pro to line shit back up with the screenplay the way Kasdan/Kennedy want. Whatever Howard does is likely not going to be enough to either take Lord & Miller's names off the credit block, or get his name put on it.

If they get him, they're getting Opie to coast this over the finish line and into the editing room where they can cut things into the shape they want. That's it.

Agreed, but no way in hell Howard's not getting an AD credit on a fucking Star Wars.

It's the closest they'll get to Speilberg.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There is a director I think is far more qualified than Ron Howard who knows the same nostalgic era. He's the director of the two cult classics THX-1138 and American Graffiti. George Lucas, before he turned to the dark side, would be perfect for this project.

I've never liked Ron Howard as a director but there are worst choices I guess. Still, he's an established and respected director, I fail to see what he would have to gain from rescuing somebody else's movie. Aside from a giant paycheck of course, but I doubt he's hurting for money.

Ehh, seems like a reasonably serviceable choice for a movie that's already 4-5 months into shooting. You could do worse for a guy being that's just being brought in to land the plane.

Fliesen

in these kinds of threads i always wait for the inevitable Bobby Roberts take, to put things in perspective.

I woke up to be super worried about the Han Solo flick ... now i'm somewhat ... less worried. I'd have loved to see Lord / Miller's take, but so far i'm very much okay with the trajectory of the Star Wars cinematic universe, so i'll give the decisionmakers at Lucasfilm the benefit of the doubt. Ron Howard is a very capable director, so the movie would at least be in good hands, if this rumor were true.

pretty dull choice but its not like this movie was a good idea anyways.

if he's actually on his a-game though maybe this turns out kinda decent. i like Apollo 13 and Parenthood quite a bit. and more recently Rush was aiight.

What was his last good movie? Beautiful mind?

You should probably see Frost/Nixon.

He's an interesting director and has a pretty varied career in directing, from Hard R rated thrillers, fantasy epics, historical dramas, period films, some classic comedy and big budget tent pole movies.

Dude, directed Ransom! Come on, that movie was great! Willow and Apollo 13 will always be some of my favorite movies.

I actually haven't seen Rush or In the Heart of the Sea. It does seem lately, he hasn't had any box office success.

Edit: Wait, he directed The Dilemma? Ewww, man he does have some duds.

Well good thing they are not relying on GAF Casting #1 criteria: looks

I never said that was the most important criteria. Still I don't think for the sake of continuity that consistency is not important. Han in the movies is not very old, so it's a question about reducing the disconnect.

Weird, not a very exciting choice. Also a little surprising if true, didn't think he was the type who would be okay with coming in and directing a movie someone else practically already finished.

Weird, not a very exciting choice. Also a little surprising if true, didn't think he was the type who would be okay with coming in and directing a movie someone else practically already finished.
Could be much worse. They could have got Denis Dugan of pretty much every bad Adam Sandler movie ever.

Could be much worse. They could have got Denis Dugan of pretty much every bad Adam Sandler movie ever.

lol, well yeah when you put it like that, of course it could be worse :p

I'm not saying Ron Howard is bad, he's obviously a competent and accomplished director, which I guess is exactly what they're looking for at this point. Just feels like a boring replacement considering he would be replacing Lord & Miller.

If I remember correctly Howard was one of the directors Lucas approached to potentially direct Episode One before he decided to do it himself? If so:

darth-vader-a-new-hope-the-circle-is-now-complete.jpg

Skinpop

Probably the mainstream director I dislike the most. He completely lacks the ability to make his movies interesting and stimulating. He is the kind of director whose movies you just know what will happen for the next twenty minutes at any point in the film. I can't think of a worse crime than that to the art.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yes guys, they're really going to decide to suddenly recast the actor playing the lead with 90% of the filming finished after about six months of shooting.

Top Bottom