• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

kunonabi

I find her comments about not making the same movie over again hilarious after TFA.

Interesting to hear that it wasnt just Kasdan and Kennedy that were happy to see them gone.

jelly

It couldn't have been that bad if Howard is only coming in for a little bit. If it was a complete mess the film would be delayed or started over again.

Monocle

At least we can all rest easy that this will be nowhere near as bad as any of the Prequels. That much is guaranteed.

Everyone wanted an Obi-wan movie. People were pretty okay with a Boba Fett movie. Very few wanted a young Han movie and most were actively against it.

They made the Han movie and now it's like watching a car crash.
tdiZFuh.gif

I still think Kennedy and Howard are good enough to pull it together into a passable product but I think everyone would be happier if it never happened.

And the reason why that's unfortunate is because they're deciding after much of the movie is already filmed that the performance needs work. Not a good sign for what's already been shot.

Like they said: It's fine when they hire one at the start of filming to keep things consistent. It's bad when you're bringing one in this late in the game.

Who are these "people" you polled?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ewan is practically standing there and they decide to make a Han Solo movie. Now it's all going to hell. Disney deserves this.

LOL this is true. I mean, they could have an entire Obi-Wan trilogy that I bet would be amazing and they refuse to do it.

Why did Lucasfilm hire Lord and Miller in the first place? Sounds like the first time they saw a Lord and Miller movie was when this footage was edited together.

Boke1879

Wasn't the script for this already written by Kasdan?

An Obi Wan movie pretty much would have started from scratch right?

I think the acting coach thing was Lucasfilm thinking Alden was the issue with the dailies, until Alden came forward and said it's how he was being directed.

Sounds more like they were doing all kinds of things to try to smooth things over with the directors and production before having to take more drastic steps.

Arttemis

"But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."
Damn, son.

Funny how many different angles one could take to present the Hollywood Reporter's story and the OP chose "THEY HIRED AN ACTING COACH FOR EHRENREICH."

Nothing wrong, but of all the tidbits.

Here's what I've been thinking, after reading this thing, and seeing the scuffles/scrapes LFL's gotten in with their current methodology of "This white man is young and semi-successful in the indie realm let's throw $200 mil at em and make a Star War"

Lucasfilm needs to start treating their Cinematic Universe for what it actually is: A big fat TV Miniseries

That's really all Cinematic Universes are, for the most part. You just subtract the TV and add $200 mil budgets. But this is what the studios are about now, this is how blockbusters work. Sequels aren't doing it anymore. You have to build these giant, multi-film narratives that can branch out and spin-off.

And in order to do that, you need to adopt the television production model, because TV's been doing it for years now, and some of the best filmed entertainment IN the past 20 or so years is coming out of television. Everyone knows this, it's not surprising or bold to say.

If film studios are increasingly biting the notion of a Writer's Room or "Story Group" or whatever they want to call the overseeing brain trust of a fictional universe, then they (and Lucasfilm specifically, it seems) need to go the next step and also adopt the notion of a Director's Bench.

Find the 5 or 6 directors you know fit the needs of your production, the specific blend of talent, creativity, ingenuity, leadership, organizational skills, and efficiency, and then lock 'em down. Rotate em through. (which gives them time to go off and make their own things, as well)

This is basically where we're headed already. People have been thinking about our entertainment entities as sports teams as it is for a pretty damn long time. Might as well lean into it, right? Studios getting into the cinematic universe game are probably gonna have to start building those benches. Drafting directors. Signing 'em to contracts.

Imagine a Lucasfilm where, no matter WHAT gets announced, you know that either

Rian Johnson
Ava DuVernay
Ryan Coogler
Susanne Bier
Edgar Wright
Joe Johnston
and/or JJ Abrams

is going to be making it. Boosts your confidence, right? It'll boost production's, too.

I dunno. Just seems to me like this is basically where we're heading anyway. Might as well get out in front of it. Filmmaking was already a collaborative thing that made "auteur theory" fit like David Byrne's suit. This sort of large-scale storytelling? Might as well make it a full on team sport.

We're heading back to the 40s & 50s, I think, in terms of how the sausage gets made.

Instro

Why did Lucasfilm hire Lord and Miller in the first place? Sounds like the first time they saw a Lord and Miller movie was when this footage was edited together.

Typical Hollywood style to hire hot new directors, and give them money without really taking a hard look. No idea who thought it was a good idea to hire slapstick comedy directors to handle something like this when there's nothing in their filmography to suggest they have the directing chops to handle a this kind of movie.

Lol at the Ace Ventura story. It sounds like they were just making another 21 jump street movie.

jelly

Wasn't the script for this already written by Kasdan?

An Obi Wan movie pretty much would have started from scratch right?

Well to be fair, they pulled Force Awakens out their arse and Rogue One was salvaged to something coherant. I don't think it matters too much. If this Han Solo is that bad they wouldn't just have Howard wrap it up.

I think an Obi Wan film is on the cards but the pipe was already loaded with VII, Rogue, VIII and Solo. Time will come.

Well to be fair, they pulled Force Awakens out their arse and Rogue One was salvaged to something coherant. I don't think it matters too much. If this Han Solo is that bad they wouldn't just have Howard wrap it up.

I think an Obi Wan film is on the cards but the pipe was already loaded with VII, Rogue, VIII and Solo. Time will come.
Watch it be an fucking boba fett spinoff.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why does the article keep referring to Lord and Miller as these big wig, established directors? They're both 41 year-olds who have been making films for less than ten years, and have only directed 4 films, 2 being animation and 2 live-action comedies. It looks like Disney cheaped out on the directors TBH. Ron Howard is the kind of heavy-hitter I'd expect.

The Prequels aren't even all that bad. They don't measure up to the OT but they aren't childhood ruining like some would have many believe.

This movie will be the same. If it's not good. Oh well. Move on.

For sure. I actually meant that this has a chance of being so much worse than any of the prequels.The basic concept of this movie has sounded terrible since the day it was announced.

If this is a trainwreck then I hope they ditch the side-films and just concentrate on proper episodes. Would much rather the story keeps going forward rather than wallow in prequel hell.

Boke1879

Eh TFA was good and most people believe so. RO is the same. Movie was fun and enjoyable.

This movie just needs to be that as well.

Busty

Banned
Why does the article keep referring to Lord and Miller as these big wig, established directors? They're both 41 year-olds who have been making films for less than ten years, and have only directed 4 films, 3 being animation and one live-action comedy. It looks like Disney cheaped out on the directors TBH. Ron Howard is the kind of heavy-hitter I'd expect.

elena16.gif

Typical Hollywood style to hire hot new directors, and give them money without really taking a hard look. No idea who thought it was a good idea to hire slapstick comedy directors to handle something like this when there's nothing in their filmography to suggest they have the directing chops to handle a movie like this.

Pretty much everyone thought it was a good idea. In no small part because a Han Solo movie is a bad idea, and Lord&Miller are known for turning bad ideas into great movies.

Top Bottom