• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Luxury" music festival organised by Ja Rule turns into Lord of the Flies sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The folks interviewed by the Buzzfeed woman who were willing to talk about how much they paid all said something around $2k.

Still, no one is in danger, no one's been killed, I think it's OK to have some fun at their expense.

Kaladin

A $500 early bird music festival isn't just for the 1%.

$500 early bird is news to me, but that does fall into too good to be true. Flight, luxury food, and a music festival for $500? I probably spend $500 over a weekend at a cheaper music festival in the sticks.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Many people paid $500 early bird price for a round-trip flight and 3 days accommodations.
That's a fucking steal and sounds way too good to be true when compared to other festivals within the US. Definitely not just a bunch of rich kids if this is the case. Really sucks for those who saved their hard earned cash for this garbage and had the rug pulled from under them.

This is what they thought they were getting:

tumblr_inline_nr6t0929bk1t1k0l9_500.gif

This is what they got:

giphy.gif

Kaladin

My top 2 rules for Music festivals, especially those that involve camping:

1 ) Never trust a first year festival run by someone who doesn't have a history doing festivals

2 ) If pricing and or features seem too good to be true, it probably is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My top 2 rules for Music festivals, especially those that involve camping:

1 ) Never trust a first year festival run by someone who doesn't have a history doing festivals

2 ) If pricing and or features seem too good to be true, it probably is.

Is this really that common?
Especially with notable names?

Kaladin

Is this really that common?
Especially with notable names?

Yep, if they have no prior experience doing a festival, pass. Read reviews if your interested and wait till next year. If it's good, there will be a next year and they'll fix everything people didn't like.

JFC, this festival made Dashcon look competent, which is a feat in itself.

Edit: I do feel sorry for those who had things stolen from them. I would have a panic attack if someone stole my passport.

$500 early bird is news to me, but that does fall into too good to be true. Flight, luxury food, and a music festival for $500? I probably spend $500 over a weekend at a cheaper music festival in the sticks.

I believe the $500 was a one day thing I thought. You flew back

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yep, if they have no prior experience doing a festival, pass. Read reviews if your interested and wait till next year. If it's good, there will be a next year and they'll fix everything people didn't like.

Interesting, I would have thought the bands would have more awareness of branding and this would be very rare. Especially the headliner of the event. I personally would blame a large degree of a disaster like this on them.

This particular event being in a isolated location is probably what's making it so notable in it's shitiness.

Kaladin

Interesting, I would have thought the bands would have more awareness of branding and this would be very rare. Especially the headliner of the event. I personally would blame a large degree of a disaster like this on them.

This particular event being in a isolated location is probably what's making it so notable in it's shitiness.

At that level, the bands would often get booked for festivals by agents, and with the names attached to it, you'd think it would run smoother, so that's probably why they were booked.

Knowing someone who does music festivals for a living, there is a lot more than you think involved in putting one of these things on. Especially out of the country.

Armaros

At that level, the bands would often get booked for festivals by agents, and with the names attached to it, you'd think it would run smoother, so that's probably why they were booked.

Knowing someone who does music festivals for a living, there is a lot more than you think involved in putting one of these things on. Especially out of the country.

Yup, it's like those big -Cons, the same contractors generally are running or supplying and supporting it. Because if it's not a one-off you need to reliable contacts to do it year over year.

Syriel

It was on an island in the Bahamas. With a resort.

It's not like this was in BFE, Nowheresville.

Only reason for something like this to fail is no planning or prep.

The promoters (this includes on-site folks, biz folks, instagram folks, etc.) were obvs all just in it for the fast cash and didn't really put effort into making it work.

It reminds me a bit of a Dutch festival they were trying to sell, except there was a bit more competent (but naive) and honest organizer behind it. It was also promoted as a luxury musicfestival with food from topchefs and luxury yurt accomodations. A month before it would took place, they cancelled it, because only 340 tickets were sold. Partly because one of the reasons to go to a music festival, the music, completely sucked. Simple Minds would be the headliner and the rest were some mid tier Dutch bands and a Coldplay cover band.

Kaladin

It sounds like this festival was put together by Ja Rule trying to make a fast buck. He did everything he could in the US and trusted it to locals who did minimal for him there, probably wasn't even on site. He just didn't plan for how badly that could go wrong.

red731

It sounds like this festival was put together by Ja Rule trying to make a fast buck. He did everything he could in the US and trusted it to locals who did minimal for him there, probably wasn't even on site. He just didn't plan for how badly that could go wrong.

Really the most probable cause.

Oppo

Does no one bother to proof these type of statements???

I love that "ITS NOT MY FAULT" ... "but I take full responsibility". lol

of fuck off Ja, you stick you name on this nonsense and take a cheque, you own up, that's part of the whole fucking point of having a name attached at all.

that said

when you wonder why you still browse GAF, remember this thread. too funny. it makes ridiculous events like this one have a little extra cherry on top

Ceej

Good lord this thread is the gift that keeps on giving... this is easily the most interesting, hilarious thing I've read in weeks... I feel bad for the people getting scammed, but damn if it isn't better than fiction

Jealousy. If a person has money it's okay for them to be screwed over.

Mr. tough guy over here. Classify thousands of people as idiots without any sort of evidence.

:thenking:

Everyone "has money" to a degree, some more than others. That's not what we find funny. What's laughable is that there are people in this world who will drop $500-$2000+ to see a show with Ja Rule's name attached to it because they believed Instagram models who told them it would be the party of the century.

Yes, they are idiots. Don't worry about them and their money. They would have just as easily have bought a Juicero instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom