• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lyin' Ted Cruz crawls groveling back, endorses Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-rival-cruz-to-throw-support-to-gop-nominee-228584

Multiple sources close to Ted Cruz say the Texas senator is expected indicate his support for Donald Trump as soon as Friday.

It is unclear whether Cruz will say only that he is voting for the Republican nominee, as other lawmakers have done, or offer a more full-throated endorsement, but the idea of throwing any support to Trump is controversial within Cruzworld.

“If he announces he endorses, it destroys his political brand,” said someone who had worked for Cruz's campaign.

Steve Deace, a prominent conservative Iowa radio host who was a major Cruz backer, also tweeted Friday that the senator would endorse Trump. A spokeswoman for Cruz did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Trump’s former primary foe has so far refused to back him, going so far as to tell Republicans to “vote your conscience” at the Republican National Convention. Since then, Cruz, who may face a primary challenge in 2018, has come under mounting pressure to get behind Trump, though many Cruz loyalists see an endorsement as unacceptable.

Asked about a possible endorsement, Jason Johnson, Cruz’s chief strategist on the campaign, responded with a photo of himself, with his hand over his face.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Leunam

One of my coworkers idolizes Cruz, ran for local office as a Tea Party candidate, and hates Trump almost as much as Killary.

I'm going to enjoy this tremendously.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol the man insulted his wife and hes going to endorse him.

Republican candidates are a bunch of wusses.

Acorn

Lmao

So the only good thing he's did in his life he's undoing. Good going Ted. Glad the testicle removal went well.

Guevara

I think Trump's doing better than some people expected, therefore they have to fall in line.

If Trump were bombing, he'd be easier to spurn.

Poor, poor move. Was really thinking he could run in 2020 under the "I was the only one smart enough to reject Trumpism" gimmick but alas looks like Ted isn't as smart as I thought.

shamanick

I bet that Priebus is holding 2020 over Cruz's head, and Cruz has to play nice if he wants RNC backing in four years. You better believe that the RNC will have a whole lot more power in the next primary season.

Also, I would still prefer Trump to Cruz as president. Cruz is a scary mofo.

Blader

Fucking pointless. He already made his stand at the RNC by refusing to endorse, and the party went on with (mostly) coalescing around Trump without it. The only people who really give a shit about Cruz not endorsing Trump are his diehard supporters, who in turn are only to be the only people impacted -- and negatively! -- by this endorsement.

He's already damaged himself in front of most of the party at the convention, and now he's going to finish the job with the only people left around him. I don't get what he's thinking.

I bet that Priebus is holding 2020 over Cruz's head, and Cruz has to play nice if he wants RNC backing in four years. You better believe that the RNC will have a whole lot more power in the next primary season.

This came up a bit on Keepin it 1600 (though in regards to Kasich), so to basically parrot their point: what the fuck can Priebus do? Especially after this year cycle, when he proved quite publicly that he has absolutely no influence over the primary process?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Well, I didn't stop hating this scumbag when he pulled his stunt for his ego rather than actual principles so I'm not gonna stop now. Makes shit easy.

Fuck Trump and Cruz. Two sides of the same garbage heap.

rjinaz

Looks like his play failed. He thought Trump would sink the GOP, the GOP would have no choice but to drop their support for Trump, and he'd look like a wise sage.

Yes Trump is shit and will not be president, but the GOP fully embraced him more or less and things will likely continue as they were once Trump is an after thought, which is a damn shame.

kribz

lol the man insulted his wife and hes going to endorse him.

Republican candidates are a bunch of wusses.

Both parties do this. Bernie spent his whole campaign talking about how unfit Hillary is for presidency. When it was clear he was out he gave her his endorsement. I do understand that the circumstances are a little different though.

spookyfish

One of my coworkers idolizes Cruz, ran for local office as a Tea Party candidate, and hates Trump almost as much as Killary.

I'm going to enjoy this tremendously.

Okay, this made me laugh out loud at work. Please update if this happens.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Looks like his play failed. He thought Trump would sink the GOP, the GOP would have no choice but to drop their support for Trump, and he'd look like a wise sage.

Yes Trump is shit and will not be president, but the GOP fully embraced him more or less and things will likely continue as they were once Trump is an after thought, which is a damn shame.

A GOP that turns from Trump and turns toward Cruz is somehow SOMEHOW the only thing worse than just embracing Trump. Cruz isn't JUST a stupid greedy bigot. He is also evil.

BriGuy

Not sure how much this is going to help Trump. A lot of the people Cruz appeals to were going to begrudgingly vote for him anyway. Not to mention a huge swath of them probably reside in red ass red states to begin with.

Armaros

He sees the target on his back from Dems and GOP organizations. They all want him gone and he is trying to shore up some sort of support somewhere.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"now that Trump has finally aligned with me based on some vague shit he already agreed with me about and the danger of Hillary blah blah blah" shit finds shit as it rolls into the sewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom