• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

Played it for like 3 hours on sunday, it did look good, but overall it still felt too much like Madden 12 which is the last one I played. Threw a screen pass that could've been a perfect TD but three of my linemen decide not to block one scrawny little cornerback at all. WTF?
Blocking still broken :(

m@cross

Decided to grab this on Redbox to try it before trusting EA.

Having not played Madden in several years; my thoughts after playing about 2 days

(Plus)
*Pretty stadiums
*Player models are improved
*Tutorial mode is well done and informative
*Community play-calling suggestions are cool
*Kick aim method is solid and well designed

(Minus)
*MUT is plastered all over the place and if you don't like it (me) it is annoying
*Commentators are still terrible and repeat the same lines all the time as well as making wrong statements. A 3 and out is not what happens when you convert a 3rd down EA.
*Commentator models are creepy and poor
*Body physics are off and seemingly every running play ends with a Katamari like sequence of 3-5 players.
*Despite their "emphasis" on the defensive side of the game, it still feels like defensive play-calling is nothing but luck and waiting for the AI to make a mistake.
*To make the most of progression you are forced to do multiple drills between games.
*Special teams still seems irrelevant and pointless; likely never going to block a kick/punt and good luck breaking out a long return.
*Game presentation still filled with mistakes such as showing the starting QB as the key player on a drive where the backup was playing.
*Sideline is still terrible and filled with lifeless statues
*Menu system in general, but more specifically in the ownership mode, is confusing and poorly thought out. Want to put your player on the trade block? Well you can't do that in the trade block menu, you have to go to the roster menu.

Overall I'd say it is a solid football game. Unfortunately if you have played any madden since 2007 or so, you won't find much new here and will encounter many of the same frustrations. With the immense amount of money this title makes EA year after year, this failure to correct so many consistent issues is insulting and unacceptable.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How is this game, any good?

Haven't played a Madden game in a few years and I am definitely a massive noob to NFL, I understand the basics. Would I enjoy this?

Bacon

How is this game, any good?

Haven't played a Madden game in a few years and I am definitely a massive noob to NFL, I understand the basics. Would I enjoy this?

Best Madden game in a good long while imo. It also has a rather robust skills trainer that goes into detail not only about the mechanics but also strategies and schemes. Its easily the best skill trainer I've ever seen in a football game, and it will certainly help you ease into the game even though you're a noob to the NFL.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Best Madden game in a good long while imo. It also has a rather robust skills trainer that goes into detail not only about the mechanics but also strategies and schemes. Its easily the best skill trainer I've ever seen in a football game, and it will certainly help you ease into the game even though you're a noob to the NFL.

Right, I'm going to order later today! Thanks bud.

sun-drop

i've been playing my mate recently,and he hasn't touched a nfl game since i bet him 50-0 some 4 years ago .... but he's loving M15 ... to the point where he's actually interested in the up coming nfl season now. he basically just watched super bowls till now.

has the player switch assist always been in madden? i know it's been in fifa ..but feels new in madden to me, i'm not getting killed deep any more when my safety would run back towards the line of scrimmage every so often when i lost rack of who i was switching to ... is way more fun now. i dunno ..maybe i just never turned that setting on before :/

well it happened ... UT has it's clutches in me again. i've bypassed it every year on madden, even though its my fav mode in fifa .....

as a offline mode is brilliant ...the solo challenges are keeping me occupied, hopefully by the time i'm done ill have a decent team to take online..

UT seems like the perfect mode for sports games, i mean with franchise mode ...conceptually ... the longer you play ... the more warped yr team becomes in comparison to the 'real' team you follow. i guess being filled with draft picks made up of randomised draft picks and players that aren't real ... right?

But UT ...you can progress y team, building it the way you want .. but at the end of the day what you end up with is a team full of real life super stars, the team still is based in reality .. thats kinda key to me.

that and the fact yr team is a living , evolving thing, that persists ... RPG styles. yr team represents yr progress...and you can take it online and pit it against others head to head .. UT is awesome like that

anyways, EA seem to have stream lined the menu this year, looked a bit overwhelming at first, but i think i've got it down now. time wll tell .... i haven't had to buy contracts yet .. i have about 20 games left before i have to ... will see if that becomes frustrating or not.

do players in madden UT get fatigued ? one of the things that pisses me off most with FIFA UT is having to run two separate squads solely for the facts i have to play my main team on the bench to avoid buying dam fitness cards. i end up using my B squad for the offline tunys ....so far it doesn't seem madden does the same thing .. thank god ...would be a ficking nightmare micromanaging that shit with a NFL sized squad/team...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
WAa46p.jpg

The Eli manning face. 2.
Lol

Honestly, Madden 15 doesn't feel like much of an improvement to me outside of the graphics. Most of the changes don't matter much and for some of them it can be argued that they're actually detrimental. I think the physics are a little bit better and I like how they nerfed certain plays like the screen pass and improved zone coverages, but the DLine is broken and getting interceptions is far too easy. I have multiple pick 6s in like very other game. At the end of the day Madden 5 doesn't feel much better than Madden 25 did for me, but I still enjoy it and don't regret the purchase because it's great fun with friends and I like what they did with Ultimate Team this year.

j-wood

When you download a roster update, is that only for online play? Are the rosters not updated when you play offline in just a head to head match?

I just bought the game, updated rosters, and did a quick match with the titans. The team still had all the players we have cut in starting position...

iamtheb

Hey guys. I'm on PS4 and I have a Sebastian Vollmer up on the trade block in MUT. He's got 18 contracts left. I'm really looking for any Elite guys on D or an Elite guy with a ground and pound boost on O. Look me up on MUT (iamtheb06) or message me on here. Thanks!

Anyone know when the next roster is updated?

Almost definitely to be released for Week 1. They've done a week 1 roster update every year for the last few years. But unsure of whether it'll drop on Thursday -- the official start of NFL Week 1 -- or sometime between Thursday and Sunday morning.

When you download a roster update, is that only for online play? Are the rosters not updated when you play offline in just a head to head match?

I just bought the game, updated rosters, and did a quick match with the titans. The team still had all the players we have cut in starting position...

It might not have the latest round of cuts from this week yet... They usually do a weekly roster release, and the beginning of the season usually drops around the start of week 1 (though, again, not sure if that'll be Thursday or Sunday). Normally, the game downloads the roster, you save it, and it should automatically load the latest rosters.. But if it dosn't, go to the Settings - File Management -> Load, and you can load the roster save file there. That roster applies to any modes, from offline single player to practice to online multiplayer franchise.

mbmonk

Playing online, I mud stomped a guy 23 - 0 after 3 quarters. He conceded at the start of the 4th.

When I picked the Dolphins and he picked the Niners he was talking so much trash about how garbage the Dolphins are ( I agree ), and how he was going to smoke me. Good times....

SonnyBoy

Madden has been a mixed bag for me so far...

- Some games come off completely fair, while others come off as being really phony.

- It just feels to me that the game forces certain situations to give the impression that one team is better than another.

- I don't feel as though you're rewarded enough by guessing/knowing run vs pass AND knowing the player that the call is designed for.

- The dev's did a good job of nerfing the outside runs but I ran into a Colts player last night that was breaking off outside runs with Trent Richardson with ABSOLUTE ease. Extremely frustrating.

- I hate that the linemen just stalemate each other, there's zero push.

- The zone play is definitely improved.

- Maybe my....Ok, I know my team sucks. But I'm tired of players dropping my user picks. I feel like they tweaked the settings because the 1st 6 games, I was rewarded for my efforts. But the last 4, I can't buy a pick.

Just today the commentary just completely stopped working.

All the other sounds are present just no commentary, this includes Pre/Half/Post and of course Jim and Phil.

Thought it was an audio issue with my Xbox One tried 2 other games, Hulu Plus, and Netflix audio works fine on everything else.

I hate that the linemen just stalemate each other, there's zero push.
I hate this too. It looks bad and it's totally remarkable how they've completely gimped the right stick. I mean, it does nothing now? You have to use buttons to disengage? Seriously wtf is that shit? Would be like if they took away the shot-stick from 2K or NHL, or took out right-stick juking on offense. Seriously baffling.

br3wnor

Absolutely killing me to wait until I get a PS4 in a few months to get this game. Glad to see positive impressions from those who have played it

Jarate

Banned
Just today the commentary just completely stopped working.

All the other sounds are present just no commentary, this includes Pre/Half/Post and of course Jim and Phil.

Thought it was an audio issue with my Xbox One tried 2 other games, Hulu Plus, and Netflix audio works fine on everything else.
This might be the best "bug" ever though.

It'd be like a bug that removed all 3 of the end of play celebrations

Okay, so I have become hopelessly addicted to Madden Ultimate Team, and now that I have gotten the hang of the gameplay I am absolutely loving every second of this game.

QUESTION!!!!

How exactly does the style boost work?
I select a SP style for my team, and each player that has an SP type gets a slight boost to each associated attribute. So my question is, if I have a coach that also has SP, and he also provides a boost, does the boost stack?

So say I choose SP for my style,
I have a RB with SP style, and a coach with SP style. Does the player receive 2 boosts?

mbmonk

I was wondering if people would share their thoughts on selecting defensive audibles. Many online opponents run the hurry up, so I am constantly having to use the defensive audible system.

So what are your thoughts on what audibles you like to have and why you pick those audibles?

I have the same audibles for most of my formations. I have:
1) Cover 1 In the hole - A deep, middle safety playing zone and a LB playing zone in the short middle of the field; with man to man outside. This allows me to get a safety down in the box as well as protecting the middle of the field in pass situations.
prorat.gif

2) Cover 3 - Standard Cover 3 Zone. In my mind it's a great mixup that looks like Cover 1 man I mentioned as my first audible. This lets me disguise to a degree if I am in zone or man, Allows me to get a safety in the box and is fairly safe with 3 deep zone defenders.
cover3.gif

3) Cover 0 blitz - The specific play depends on formation, but I have an all out blitz with man coverage behind it. I feel like I have to be able to bring pressure on 3rd or 4th and short, or if I just want to switch it up.
cover0blitz.gif

4) Cover 2 zone - Standard cover to zone. 2 deep safeties with 5 player playing the underneath short areas of the field. For me it's a nice zone play that deters quick routes, like slants, that are given up by Cover 1 or the all out blitz.
cover2.gif

A great article on understanding coverages located here, that I linked these pictures from.

mbmonk

I wanted to break out the link to this article because I didn't want others to miss it in my above post.
http://smartfootball.com/passing/attacking-coverages-in-the-passing-game#sthash.1Ls5po8l.t5LRfOBy.dpbs

This articles talks about the Pre Snap Read as a QB, and many of the standard defensive coverages ( Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 0, etc. ). Similar to the tutorials in madden but a bit easier to understand from both a defensive perspective and an offensive perspective.

I hope it provides some value to others. I enjoyed reading it and learned quite a bit.

ShaneB

I wanted to break out the link to this article because I didn't want others to miss it in my above post.
http://smartfootball.com/passing/attacking-coverages-in-the-passing-game#sthash.1Ls5po8l.t5LRfOBy.dpbs

This articles talks about the Pre Snap Read as a QB, and many of the standard defensive coverages ( Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 0, etc. ). Similar to the tutorials in madden but a bit easier to understand from both a defensive perspective and an offensive perspective.

I hope it provides some value to others. I enjoyed reading it and learned quite a bit.

Something I should definitely be reading, as well as eventually getting around to doing the tutorials in Madden itself.

Thanks for the links bud!

Smart Football is a great website. Thanks for the link!

Now I know why some of my old friends play just Madden. Its a real commitment to do the MUT and a lot of knowledge for the game of Football. Its fighting games or Dota levels of commitment.

I spent two hour last night just playing 3 or 4 games. Funny thing is is that its getting me excited about this NFL season now that I know more players.

Branson

So I rented this and enjoy it a lot. Especially coming from 2k5 I feel like they have finally at least hit that mark on presentation. It feels fine too. I don't know if I'll buy it though since I realized I'm not just itching to play it all night.

Tabris

So this has been posted before but too many pages to scour through.

PS4 or Xbox One? Which version should I get?

forms

Anyone in EU that bought this from the us psn? If so, are you able to purchase points from the store? All I get is a message that the item is not for sale, so I am asking that it just doesn't work. Anyone that bought an EU copy that can view what point packages are for sale?

Haha! That's... awesome and fucked up at the same time.

does it look like the E3 trailer yet

not buying a Madden until then

Madden has looked better than that trailer since like 2010.

that old E3 trailer looked like shit,

Anyone know what's going on here?

JvjXDDE.png

I've played a few snow games and it never looks like that (i.e., 100x better than the usual 2+ inches covering the entire field).

Random? XBone-only? (I'm PS4). Wtf?

Spinluck

Honestly, Madden 15 doesn't feel like much of an improvement to me outside of the graphics. Most of the changes don't matter much and for some of them it can be argued that they're actually detrimental. I think the physics are a little bit better and I like how they nerfed certain plays like the screen pass and improved zone coverages, but the DLine is broken and getting interceptions is far too easy. I have multiple pick 6s in like very other game. At the end of the day Madden 5 doesn't feel much better than Madden 25 did for me, but I still enjoy it and don't regret the purchase because it's great fun with friends and I like what they did with Ultimate Team this year.

The interceptions are ridiculous in this.

It has a lot to do with the passing still being terrible. Even skill trainer didn't quite walk you through how exactly the precision passing works. It's really inconsistent anyway.

I'm enjoying what little I've played so far. I probably won't buy it and just hang on to my GameFly copy for a couple months. I'm doing well on Offense, but getting my ass kicked on defense. Ryan Tannehill just lit me up for 320 yards, 3 TDs, and 85% completion. Any advice for good defensive schemes to stop the pass?

mbmonk

Just had a really satisfying win against a no huddle/hurry up Lions player. His main attack was run up the middle with Bush, if that was stopped he would throw the curl route to Megatron.

Luckily I spent some time today practicing on stopping curl routes. So I started playing Cover 2 Man and adjusted the coverage to "Underneath". So my CB's would play underneath the WR to stop the curl and I had safety help over the top to help on any deep routes. The problem is my CB's are so crappy and Megatron is so good that my CB would still overrun the WR when he made his curl move and thus be open.

Finally, in the 4th quarter my CB's wised up and finally played it right and got me 2 pick 6s and iced the game.

Very satisfying to beat no huddle players. It took me awhile to adjust, but I got there.

I ate his lunch with the Bunch formation. He had no clue what to do. :)

j-wood

Can anyone help me out with passing? Playing on all pro against my roommate. I complete some passes but more often than not a defender knocks it down or picks it. I think part of the problem is I feel I only have time to look at one receiver or I'm going to get sacked.

DesertFox

Anyone know what's going on here?

JvjXDDE.png

I've played a few snow games and it never looks like that (i.e., 100x better than the usual 2+ inches covering the entire field).

Random? XBone-only? (I'm PS4). Wtf?

You talking about the gradient effect going on towards the horizon? Not sure, but that is weird.

Also, love your avatar - Go Blue!

Can anyone help me out with passing? Playing on all pro against my roommate. I complete some passes but more often than not a defender knocks it down or picks it. I think part of the problem is I feel I only have time to look at one receiver or I'm going to get sacked.

What team and what playbook are you using? Not knowing much use alot of drag routes to move the ball and use clock. And don't sleep on using the o-line protection schemes.

mbmonk

Something I should definitely be reading, as well as eventually getting around to doing the tutorials in Madden itself.

Thanks for the links bud!

Smart Football is a great website. Thanks for the link!

My pleasure to provide the link. And I agree that Smart Football is a great site. It was the gateway to football strategy for me. I will always appreciate the man who runs that site.

With the limited amount of information provided, I can only give generic suggestions.

- It's really important to find out if your roommate is really blitzing you frequently, or if you are just perceiving that. I am not sure if this is the case for local versus, but after your offensive play is over, if you don't run hurry up, the game will show you the defensive call. If that happens on local versus that should give you a clue as to what is happening.

If he is blitzing you frequently then check out the tutorial on beating the blitz that is included in the game.

If he is not blitzing you and he is still getting pressure then that might mean your offensive line sucks. In that case you need to go to a short passing game or make a max protect offensive line adjustment if you want to try go deep down field.

Remember if he isn't blitzing you and you still feel hurried, he is getting the best of both world. He gets you playing fast and nervous while he gets to play very safe coverages because he doesn't have to blitz to make you feel uncomfortable or hurried.

Top Bottom