• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

wait - if someone quits on you during ranked match, you don't get the win?

Doesn't seem right to me but I don't play online ranked games against randoms anymore... I thought if someone quit, you'd finish the game against the CPU and get the W and they'd get a loss... but I dunno.

Anyone care to explain how ballhawk works? I just did the training thing and failed miserably.

When the ball is in the air, hit B (or circle on PS4) to switch players, and then when it's coming down near the target on the field, hit Y (or triangle)... Your defensive player will try to go for the interception. The key to this is hitting B at the right time. It will automatically switch you to the player with the best chance to make a play on the ball, so you usually don't need to do much to move to the target, they'll continue moving there for you (on all difficulties except for All Madden, where once you control the player you need to make his movements).

In this practice mode, if you hit it at the right time you're almost guaranteed to get an INT, in games though, it's much less.

I want to like this game.. .but something is just not clicking for me. I am really thinking of returning it and putting the money towards Fifa 15. I know I will play that more than anything this coming year.

However, part of me wants to keep Madden (just in case I get the itch to play someday)....

I find it very hard to complete passes in the game unless it is something out of the backfield.

I want to like this game.. .but something is just not clicking for me. I am really thinking of returning it and putting the money towards Fifa 15. I know I will play that more than anything this coming year.

However, part of me wants to keep Madden (just in case I get the itch to play someday)....

I find it very hard to complete passes in the game unless it is something out of the backfield.

If you want to keep with it, don't feel bad about playing on rookie or pro, there's no shame in pro this year, it's pretty competetive against the CPU. Do the Training Camp -> Concepts training. It's one of the best additions to madden in a while. Completing passes is mostly about knowing what to look for and which receivers to look for on a play, and less about really executing the play.

You don't have to go through all of the "concepts" training, but it really helps if you do. The most important ones to do are Cover 2, Cover 1, Cover 3, Cover 6, and Man to man (or cover 2 man, etc).

After you do those trainings, whenever you take the field on any play you should look for two things... Where are the safeties standing (the two players on defense who are near the middle of the field and positioned furthest from you), and then, where are the cornerbacks standing (the two defensive players who are matched up aaginst your wide receivers or tight ends). Based on where they're standing in relation to your players that will guide you on what receiving route to focus on on that play. Then, after you snap the ball, based on how other players move will guide you on who you should pass it to.

Passing really comes down to two things:
- What the defense looks like before the play
- What specific players on defense do once you snap the ball

If you have't played a lot of madden in the last few years here are the routes you should try first:
  • "Flood" routes. Three receivers flooding one side of the field, with the deep receiver being a decoy, the medium receiver (usually tight end or slot receiver) going towards the sideline for a solid ~15 yards, and a "flat" receiver who is your option if the medium receiver isn't open.
  • Crossing routes. If you have fast WRs, this will make a mismatch where your quick WR is crossing the field against a slow linebacker, if you hit them in the middle of the field it's a solid ~10 yard gain with opportunity for more.
  • Stick routes. This creates a mismatch where your tight end or slot receiver is open in the middle of the field, or another player is open near the sidelines.

With those 3 plays, you can do a lot of damage, and it simplifies your offense. WHat those plays don't do is stretch the ball downfield... but you don't have to do that. The most successful offense of the last 40 years in football is the West Coast Offense, which uses mismatches and short control passes to move the ball down the field... Only once in a while does it stretch the field with a deep play.

Honestly try the Skills Trainer mode before getting rid of the game. With the revamped defense this year the Skills Trainer mode although lengthy teaches you football concepts and such to make things easy to understand and you'll be more comfortable playing games after going through a round in the Skills Trainer. Just my advice that's all...

mbmonk

Xater

Is anyone else from Europe playing this on PS4? I'd like some buddies to try the online with. My friends list is not really playing it....

That sounds like fun but I doubt it's going to work out because of time zones. :(

Most people game at different hours here. with only two advances per week you'd be fine I'm sure. Regardless we just filled our last spot. I'm sure one or two of the owners may back out and you're more then open to take a spot if you're still up for it. Just leave a message on the thread and I'll add you to the waiting list. We will probably kick things off this weekend and I'm sure a spot will be open for you by then. It's your call man

forms

I'd like to thank the posters in this thread, especially The Albatross, for making my transition into a sports game/Madden player a whole lot easier.

Branson

Do you guys play on slow or normal? I see a lot of people saying slow but does that make the game more realistic or anything?

Do you guys play on slow or normal? I see a lot of people saying slow but does that make the game more realistic or anything?

You can play on either but I've always preferred slow because I think it gives the player more control, while also letting the plays develop more realistically -- IMO. May just be a preference though. Ever since you've been a

I've yet to tweak any other sliders yet... So far playing it out and seeing how it goes.

-- edit-
And thanks for my praise fellas. I do what I can

hlhbk

The best football blog I have ever found on the internet is Brophy. It's run by a coach, so the jargon is heavy, but the information and explanations are top notch. If you want in depth knowledge about football it's one of the best free sites out there.

That is awesome :)

No it was not awesome. No reason to go for it in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 14 inside of your own endzone. There is a reason he has not won an online game.

I'm having a bit of a problem you guys. I just bought the game and can't play online. When I went to play a online head to head game the game crashed and now whenever I try to go online I can't connect to EA servers.

I've tried signing in and out of psn and turning the system off and on. Nothing has worked so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Is it just me, or are the last gen versions of this game slow and lagging for anyone else? It's borderline unplayable. Passing feels unresponsive and loading times are ridiculous. Is it faster on current gen?

mbmonk

No it was not awesome. No reason to go for it in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 14 inside of your own endzone. There is a reason he has not won an online game.

I just watched the play. I didn't check the down and distance. Bad idea but awesome execution?

:)

Afrikan

I just played the PS3 version earlier today at my cousins...and to be honest, if anyone is just a Madden player...I really don't see a reason to upgrade to a whole new system.

it's not like you are going to get some super advanced next gen physics. Graphics "look" the same when you are playing.. (not the cut scenes or close ups)

and you don't have to deal with the *new* next gen playcalling menus...PS3 version sticks with the easy to choose plays and can sub your players in time.

I'll stick with the PS4 version because that's what I have...but I didn't have it in me to pressure my cousin to upgrade like I have in the past.

Afrikan

wait - if someone quits on you during ranked match, you don't get the win?

edit- updated with next post.

it might be the same like last year....where you just pull your cord or something. Or you close the application, and get back to the PlayStation home screen.

I wish someone would start a list where we all could add names of people who have done this.....sure anyone can throw anyone's name out there..but if many other gamers have had the same experience with the same player...it would stand out from the list.

They had since last year to fix this or find a work around... there has to be a way to handle this issue.

Afrikan

wow....three posts in a row..but I think need to update my previous post, especially how I went off last night.

so I logged back in and apparently they added me a win. So I don't know how long it took for it to update or what happened...it could've been 5-10 mins after my game (i turned it off soon after).. or hours after...but somewhere in there it credited me the win. I'm going to guess minutes after...and maybe it'll be updated sooner as time goes on and they optimize the servers.

Is this definitely 1080p native ? I'm playing it on PS4 and there's something ever so slightly off about the image quality (and no, it's not my TV). That's not to say it doesn't look good, just that it sometimes doesn't seem as sharp as I'd expect.

EA really has to patch in a setting to turn off the auto-recording Madden Moments with Game DVR. I don't think that ANYBODY wants that "feature." If you go to your friends activity feed, it's just Madden spam down the entire board. Your upload studio is filled with clips that nobody would want. It'd be one thing if it only recorded your touchdowns, but the fact that it records the CPU's touchdowns ... every touchdown and then auto-uploads them is just total spam, and nobody wants that. Nobody wanted this in M25, nobody wants this in M15. They need to patch in a setting to turn it off.

Here's a Xbox One feature request for it:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...e-allow-the-ability-to-disable-auto-recording

I encourage everyone to vote for this.

eznark

Banned
wow....three posts in a row..but I think need to update my previous post, especially how I went off last night.

so I logged back in and apparently they added me a win. So I don't know how long it took for it to update or what happened...it could've been 5-10 mins after my game (i turned it off soon after).. or hours after...but somewhere in there it credited me the win. I'm going to guess minutes after...and maybe it'll be updated sooner as time goes on and they optimize the servers.

A guy pulled the plug on me last night as my overtime field goal was going through the uprights. I got the win as soon as I went to a new screen. Unfortunately it said I won 7-7 instead of 10-7 but whatever.

As far as ps3/ps4...if it is anything like last year than there is definitely reason to upgrade, but all of the improvements are horsepower related. Blocking is better, coverage is better, just general football AI is about 1000x better on the new consoles (well, I've only played ps4 and xbox 360 but I assume xbone is the same). Madden 25 on 360 was an unplayable mess and I'm guessing ps3 Madden 15 is as well.

mbmonk

EA really has to patch in a setting to turn off the auto-recording Madden Moments with Game DVR. I don't think that ANYBODY wants that "feature." If you go to your friends activity feed, it's just Madden spam down the entire board. Your upload studio is filled with clips that nobody would want. It'd be one thing if it only recorded your touchdowns, but the fact that it records the CPU's touchdowns ... every touchdown and then auto-uploads them is just total spam, and nobody wants that. Nobody wanted this in M25, nobody wants this in M15. They need to patch in a setting to turn it off.

Agreed.

Yeah I've heard that FIfa is worse. Fifa auto records every time your goalie makes a save or punches the ball. So, you can have 10, 20 clips recorded a game. At least it's just your goalie. My clips is filled up with touchdowns scored by the CPU ... it's horrible.

Even worse is that it spams up your X1 friends activity feed so nobody will want to follow you because it's just all Madden spam. If you do put together 5 clips of interesting things, most people will figure it's just more Madden CPU touchdown spam. It's EA's fault for spamming this feature, but Microsoft should take some action on it and make auto-record clips optional... while still keeping Game DVR intact.

FWIW, you can turn off auto-recording, but it also turns off Game DVR which I don't want to do... I want to have Game DVR option available but just not have EA decide what to publish for me.

Made a quick video of three things that I'm glad to see in Madden 15 (really just two): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9Iz7SeOmM

• Nice to see an incomplete pass when the QB is under pressure in a key 3rd down instead of the ball being batted down or almost intercepted or dropped. IT's just nice to see a pass that missed the WR on a quick throw, while the WR tries to reach out to grab it.
  • Second pass is similar.. a rushed 3rd down pass to Vereen that he has to throw before Vereen has time to turn. In past Maddens, Vereen would probably warp to the ball and catch it, or catch it only to get tackled and drop it... But in this one, it just goes by him before he turns to catch it. It's pretty nice.
  • Third is a late hit out of bounds. I use hit stick to try to made a big tackle after he's close to a key third down conversion, ultimately end up hitting him out of bounds, give up 15 yards, and th Patriots went onto score on that drive... But only after Brady got injured and Ryan Mallett, soon to be cut by NE in real life, drove them down the field.

Dominator

44 seconds left in the 4th, I'm up by two touchdowns and he gets the ball. He just keeps holding the play clock for penalties which was annoying, but I figured I would just wait it out. He does it 3 times and I get a message saying he has been kicked. It boots me to the menu and I didn't get the win.

Dammit.

44 seconds left in the 4th, I'm up by two touchdowns and he gets the ball. He just keeps holding the play clock for penalties which was annoying, but I figured I would just wait it out. He does it 3 times and I get a message saying he has been kicked. It boots me to the menu and I didn't get the win.

Dammit.

But you know in your heart you won!

Anyone got any tips on running the ball on All-Pro? I can pass well enough, but regardless of the team I'm playing or playing against, it just feels like the line gets blown up on run plays every time and I can barely get back to the line of scrimmage most times, much less post a decent YPC.

Greg

Anyone got any tips on running the ball on All-Pro? I can pass well enough, but regardless of the team I'm playing or playing against, it just feels like the line gets blown up on run plays every time and I can barely get back to the line of scrimmage most times, much less post a decent YPC.
applies to all difficulties, but you have to stick with it even if you're getting stuffed - you'll eventually break one or at least the play calls will open up your passing game which will make them not crowd the line as much

wait for your blockers and don't be so eager to hold the sprint button because you won't win a 1v1 battle that often in the open field at higher difficulties. it's tempting to jam it when you see some daylight, but the CPU usually disengages or reroutes pretty fast from potential blockers once you start sprinting

flip the run to the other side if you see a better matchup (move the right stick to the side you want to change it to)

go into practice mode and put yourself on a run play and put the CPU on random play and just keep at it to see which of runs are effective against which defenses

mbmonk

The running game always begins with a basic numbers game. If the defense has two deep safeties then normally you have an equal number of blockers to the number of defenders in the box. So it's a preferable time to run. If you see one deep safety and they moved the other safety down in the box, then the defense has more defenders than you can block, and that is normally a prefered pass time.

I have to go and can't expand on this, but it's the starting point. Sorry if you already knew this.

Something has been up for several seasons now with team ratings in Connect Career mode. I felt like they all averaged out during the season last year, but I can confirm it for sure now. When you enter Connected Franchise good teams get reduced in overall rating and bad teams get bumped up dramatically... It doesn't make much of a difference on the field but it's weird.

For instance, in exhibition.. Patriots are rated 88overall. When you start Connected Franchise, they are 86 overall. This is fine, who knows maybe confidence drops their rating... but...

All other teams are boosted up. Miami is a 78 in exhibition, 84 in CF... Vikings are a 76 (or something) and then they boost up to an 82, Oakland is in the 70s, and they boost up to an 84. I've noticed this the last few years but thought maybe it was just like player's moving teams, etc., balancing out... But now I've started the year and not much has changed and this is the case. It's very odd.

Also... one thing EA Tiburon needs to be called out for... In Maddens and NCAA's of year's past you could hit Y or L2 or R2 ona player and it would bring up a menu where you could see all sorts of stuff about them: Ratings, season stats, and career stats. You could do it whenvever you hovered over a player name. EA removed that a couple years ago for no reason, and I really miss it. Occassionally, I want to hover over a guy and click his name and see his career stats... and you just can't do that anymore. It's a real bummer.

Also so far in connected franchise, 3 games and 3 crazy winds. I don't mind too much.. better than 70 and sunny which has happened in the past, but here's 3 straight games with winds ove 12 MPH in all three. It's not a big deal, but interesting.

Hold L2/LT as soon as the RB takes the handoff. This allows you to make agile cuts and be patient to wait for the line to create a hole.

Once you choose a lane let off L2/LT and just use the left stick. This will allow you a little speed without losing all agility.

Only use R2/RT on true outside runs or when you have a little daylight.

theWB27

So I gave Madden a rent after being away for about 6 years. Went in cocky thinking that since I'd played damn near every one before my hiatus I'd be just fine. Whoa, even on Pro I was throwing interceptions left and right.

After a day I'm settling in. Getting back to my pass first ways. They've done a helluva job with this game. The fluidity is there, visuals are amazing..especially the lighting.

I'm definitely going to try and buy this in a month or so. I guess it's time to hop back in the saddle full time again.

slapnuts

What's with the graphics in this game? This isn't the the best looking sports game I've seen on next gen. Still reminds me of PS2 graphics in HD.

At least try and make it believable bro...if you are gonna do it, do it right lol

On Topic: Surprised how nice this game looks and its gameplay is a nice nice step from last years effort.

Top Bottom