• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MADDEN XBOX LEAGUE VOTE THREAD: cone or no cone??

Should we use the cone in the league?

Results are only viewable after voting.
guys since we've all had the game (or will have soon enough) and played it, let me take a vote. please don't give the pros/cons of using vision cone or anything else. all i want in this thread is the people interested in the online league to say either "yes" for using it, or "no" if you are against using it in league.

remember, one word posts! yes or no on vision cone??

p.s. i vote yes

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm still 50-50 on it. At times it's just too much to handle, and it gets frustrating. I'll vote tomorrow. O'DOYLE RULEZ.

Fifty

Yep......the vast majority (basically everyone) says yes now, and we'll only get better as we play moer. DM just reminded me that the premium pass wasn't up until mid-september last year, so we'll have tons of time before this starts.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I say use it for one season, but know that several leagues have dropped the cone or made it optional in games. I am kind of leaning towards the camp that it probably could have been left out of the game totally. I mean, when I complete a pass at this point, I feel like it was totally luck. I need more hours with the game online, but right now the cone just seems like a hinderence to a fun game.

Ramirez

but right now the cone just seems like a hinderence to a fun game.

Couldn't disagree more personally...

Last year,I practically knew what was gonna happen against everyone of you,and Im sure you knew me just as well,with the cone,it's like you know people are making reads and stuff and not just doin a play where they know what WR will be open and what have you.It takes time,but once you really get a feel for it,it's just awesome.I also feel that it actually adds the pressure aspect to the game,when I see the blitz coming I freak just like I would in real life :lol

R Stick Cone Passing 4 lyfe friends ;)

i dont know if i would ever want to go back to normal passing. i mean what is the problem with vision passing? you think without it on you're going to have more time or something? when the blitz is coming at you its coming at you. you aren't magically going to throw for 300 yards just because vision cone is turned off. it just keeps your head in the game more and makes for a more challenging game. also like ramirez stated, just as in real life the guys who keep their cool under pressure (like joe montana and steve young, but unlike neil odonnell and ben roethlisberger) are going to reap the benefits of the cone passing.

ill stand by you cone passing... ill staaaaaaaaaaaand by you, wont let nobody hurt you!

Fifty

I love cone passing. I've never felt cheated (It's harder yes, but fair!) and the sense of satisfaction is much higher if you pull of a great play.

KingV

Fifty said:
I love cone passing. I've never felt cheated (It's harder yes, but fair!) and the sense of satisfaction is much higher if you pull of a great play.

it's also like 10 times more frustrating than usual when you finally nail some wide open guy in the chest and he drops the ball like a jack ass.

DCX

DCX
KingV said:
it's also like 10 times more frustrating than usual when you finally nail some wide open guy in the chest and he drops the ball like a jack ass.
I agree with that. It's hard enough to get a groove with the vision passing then you got someone wide open and he drops it....then proceed to throw 10 straight incomplete passes :)

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DCX said:
I agree with that. It's hard enough to get a groove with the vision passing then you got someone wide open and he drops it....then proceed to throw 10 straight incomplete passes :)

DCX

I'm having the same problem with the cone,but why dont you play Fifty and those incomplete passes will turn into user ints on his part :p

B

BigZep

Unconfirmed Member
wait...none of you guys user catch? I figured all the pretty good madden players did that, so they control the outcome of the ball being caught.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just a question, have any of you played without the cone?

To answer your question FMT, it is different without the cone, when someone is open, you just throw it to them, not move a cone, and then throw it. Without the cone, I have actually had some offensive rhythm going, was able to use strategy because I could actually count on my passing game. I am still going to work on the cone, but right now I am not a fan of it at all. The game flows so much better without it, IMO.

Cloudy

Banned
Cone is a decent idea but the implementation is clunky and counterintuitive. Why do I have to fumble around with buttons when I have a guy WIDE open on an out pattern and end up getting sacked? It might be better for folks with star QBs who see the whole field but it's retarded to have to switch views for an open guy parallel to and running in stride with the QB.

My play style is rinky-dink sidearm passes while running out of the pocket (with Jgar) and there's just no way to get into an offensive rythm since I can't scramble, make my reads and fumble with buttons simultaneously. And that's when guys aren't blitzing every down!

Matrix said I run PA too much but that's cos I can hardly get time to pass in regular sets :lol IMO, it's a cheap way to lower the passing stats without changing the game engine.

I don't think cone is fun AT ALL but I'll suck it up and go with the majority, I guess -_-

Konex, don't forget that you still can make passes outside the cone. It's not an all-or-nothing thing. Screens don't require you to have the receiver under your cone. Passing accuracy (as it was last year) seems to be more about QB stats, being set on his feet before passing, arm strength, etc. The cone is a way of cutting down on throwing willy-nilly with little fear of missing.

Slo

Not to blindly defend the cone, because I currently don't like it, but they did "just fix the engine" to make those passes impossible to complete. But they have to make the user aware of the change. Casual gamers often don't realize that Peyton Manning can't throw from one end zone to another off his back foot and rolling to his left. They wouldn't understand if Peyton just started throwing knuckle-balls on them.

How exactly should the engine decide whether or not to alter a pass because it is 'willy-nilly', and how does the user know that the reason their pass went 40 yards out of bounds is that the game decided for that the pass was 'willy-nilly'? There's got to be a concrete method of determining what passes are bogus, and there needs to be a way for the user to control it. Like a beam of light that highlights the legit areas field or something...

Oh wait. :)

Cloudy

Banned
We're not casuals and we all know not to fling a bomb across the field off one foot, right? In that case, why don't we play without the cone since it makes no difference and those crazy passes won't work..

In other words, I'm calling BS on that :)

Matrix

Fifty said:
Why don't we play without the cone? Probably because the vote is 26 to 3.

:lol

Hey Konex its not just your passing dude,you need to work on your run game.As much as you bitch about the cone,and I do see some of your points,cause I'm having some minor issues with it to as of now,you still cant count on the PA pass woking against me when you cant even establish a running game.I pretty much know what you're going to run,why do you think I beat you 29-0 last game? I'd also like to point out to everyone that Konex is f-ing cursed in this game,he gets screwed a lot by the refs and fumbles way too much.....THE EA GODS have cursed him for hating on their games.

So much for this just being a "yes" "no" thread :p

Ramirez

It might be better for folks with star QBs who see the whole field

Dude,Rothlisberger's cone is smaller than Jgars and I have no problems,the cone is weeding out the weaksauce friends! :lol

Cloudy

Banned
you cant even establish a running game

Look up my stats and I bet it's 50-50 run/pass. That's just the way I play. The problem is since I can't complete any passes, why would you stop jamming up the line? :lol

Matrix

Cloudy said:
Look up my stats and I bet it's 50-50 run/pass. That's just the way I play. The problem is since I can't complete any passes, why would you stop jamming up the line? :lol

Try some screen passes,I rarely ever see you try those.

guys against the passing cone: why is it that some players are having great success with the passing cone? if the system is so broken and terrible, how can anyone succeed? i think you know the answer

Top Bottom