• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MADDEN XBOX LEAGUE VOTE THREAD: cone or no cone??

Should we use the cone in the league?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah cos it's real easy to adjust to the cone when you can barely play the original game :p

Don't worry, I'll still play in the league cos I don't need to win to have fun in a league setting. Plus I think I can take Shadow at least :lol

PS: That doesn't mean the cone isn't a cheap "fix" meant to delude consumers into thinking they're getting something new :D

guys just practice. im telling you if you practice with it, you will be good. i still dont understand why those who understand the offensive plays and are quick enough to make the reads SHOULDNT be given an advantage. why bring it down to the lowest common denominator? if you want to be a successful passer hit the practice field, try out some new plays. so far playing random games i rarely see people run short routes or run many timing routes. do you know how many timed button hooks i have seen even ATTEMPTED in the past 5 games i've played? i can count them on one hand i bet

p.s. guys, if you aren't going to be in the league why are you voting here? (cerrius voted no, who the fuck is cerrius?)

Andokuky

Banned
I'm starting to hate precision passing more than the vision, I actually think the cones are pretty cool. But I swear every game I play online is just people throwing jump balls all game. I played a guy using the KC Queefs and all he did all game was throw jump balls to Gonzo left and right. I'd have him doubled AND cover him manually with Al Wilson and he still catches them, it's ridiculous. It's like half the time your players might make a play on the ball but when 75% of his pass plays are those plays, that pretty much garauntees a first down every 3 plays.

Fifty

Well don't play him then. I haven't played a random person in 2 years of Madden and I have no complaints like that. I see hardly any jump balls thrown, and when they are it's realistic...you know why? Because I play good people from GA.

hgplayer1

you guys really need to stop debating with konex. it will just go on forever :lol.

oh and as for his run/pass ratio its 43% run 56% pass

scrambles on pass play 9.3%

Andokuky

Banned
Fifty said:
Well don't play him then. I haven't played a random person in 2 years of Madden and I have no complaints like that. I see hardly any jump balls thrown, and when they are it's realistic...you know why? Because I play good people from GA.

That's good for you but not everyone has found a forum with dedicated people who don't cheese. My friends list has loads of people on it but 90% of them are ESPN fanboys.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Cloudy said:
Cone is a decent idea but the implementation is clunky and counterintuitive. Why do I have to fumble around with buttons when I have a guy WIDE open on an out pattern and end up getting sacked? It might be better for folks with star QBs who see the whole field but it's retarded to have to switch views for an open guy parallel to and running in stride with the QB.

My play style is rinky-dink sidearm passes while running out of the pocket (with Jgar) and there's just no way to get into an offensive rythm since I can't scramble, make my reads and fumble with buttons simultaneously. And that's when guys aren't blitzing every down!

Matrix said I run PA too much but that's cos I can hardly get time to pass in regular sets :lol IMO, it's a cheap way to lower the passing stats without changing the game engine.

I don't think cone is fun AT ALL but I'll suck it up and go with the majority, I guess -_-

This man speaks the truth. This is just EAs way to appease all the people who complained that it's too easy to pass. It's easier to come up with some convoluted control scheme than it is for them to program a decent AI. Why not keep the cone but implement a two tap passing method for passing. If you want to pass you tap the button for that receiver to look in his direction then the button again to pass. They almost got this right with the R trigger method but it fails because you have to hold the trigger with makes it harder to pass especially with the white and black buttons. The long and the short of it is the game should be fun to play and it isn't with the trigger method or the right analogue stick. They at least could have added a way for each individual to choose for themselves if they want to use the cone or not rather than forcing everyone to use one or the other.

no offense silent death but i really dont give a crap whether you think it's a gimmick or not. this is for our madden online league, so until you are part of that please stay out of these threads and keep your opinions on madden and the passing cone in the official madden impressions thread

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
FrenchMovieTheme said:
no offense silent death but i really dont give a crap whether you think it's a gimmick or not. this is for our madden online league, so until you are part of that please stay out of these threads and keep your opinions on madden and the passing cone in the official madden impressions thread

Preach

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys against the passing cone: why is it that some players are having great success with the passing cone? if the system is so broken and terrible, how can anyone succeed? i think you know the answer

Some people have greater hand speed and dexterity than others that's why. The cone doesn't help it hurts people as if I see I have a guy wide open I have to hold a trigger/ remove my finger from the buttons. Swing a cone/ tap a button, then move my finger back to the correct button, then press it/press the button a second time, to initiate a pass. None of that has anything to do with reading plays or strategy it's based on who has better hand speed and dexterity. A person can suck at this game not because they don't know the fundamentals of football but because they are older and thus have slower reaction time or have a hand injury or just isn't as coordinated as their opponent. Again the game should be fun for everyone not just those who are double/ triple jointed.

Some people have greater hand speed and dexterity than others that's why. The cone doesn't help it hurts people as if I see I have a guy wide open I have to hold a trigger/ remove my finger from the buttons. Swing a cone/ tap a button, then move my finger back to the correct button, then press it/press the button a second time, to initiate a pass. None of that has anything to do with reading plays or strategy it's based on who has better hand speed and dexterity. A person can suck at this game not because they don't know the fundamentals of football but because they are older and thus have slower reaction time or have a hand injury or just isn't as coordinated as their opponent. Again the game should be fun for everyone not just those who are double/ triple jointed.

that's like saying it is unfair for someone to play as a defensive back. hey, why should they be able to patrol the secondary just because they have quick reaction time! they should have to play the defensive line and let things progress as they may!

bottom line is it doesn't take lightning quick reflexes to be successful at passing. i know because i don't have fast reflexes, and i have the worst team in the game.

people are still playing madden like years past. hike the ball, "see what happens" and then immediately throw to wherever you want. when i see people doing crappy w/ the cone is when i see this:

* hike... drop back... drop back... drop back...

the ball should be OUT of your hands in 2-3 seconds, thats it. that is how you have to play. i understand that some people are frustrated w/ it because i was (and am sometimes still!), but i want those with quick relflexes and football smarts and those who put the practice time in to be best at the game. that is how it should be. why should it be like espn football or maddens of the past when average joe can say "hey i played 10 minutes of madden so far, let me carve up your defense". that shit aint going to fly in the league, if you dont spend time with the game you're going to get pounded, and that is how it should be. that might not sound like fun to some, but that is what i consider fun (probably because im on the other side of the fence :D )

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
okay...it clicked today. I played 3 games, and I actually go the cone deal down, some what. But passing to the white and Black receivers is a beeyatch!!!!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
ive started to ignore the cone after i snap the ball and wait until i see an open reciever, then quick switch to the reciever and throw it to him qucikly, i find its better. Unless im going for a swing pass to a Back or certain plays where im relying on timing

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ramirez said:
Can I revoke my vote?! :lol

Not so much the cone I hate,but the precision passing is garbage and needs to go.

I want to revoke my vote,I think both suck! :p I might not hate it as much if I had a decent O-line and hotblocking actually worked.I also wouldnt mind not having to deal with the shit ass white and black buttons.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
My vote was already a revoke vote, I voted No to be ahead of the TREND. I'm the Great Vote picking Guy! Even though I'm actually doing alright with the cone (at the moment).

Fifty

I'm doing great with the cone! But I would be willing (not that it matters since we have to use it) to change my vote, just out of pity for all the rest of you poor souls who face the Ravens D.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:
I'm doing great with the cone! But I would be willing (not that it matters since we have to use it) to change my vote, just out of pity for all the rest of you poor souls who face the Ravens D.

What I find funny is how easy your guys can catch the ball in single coverage and my Texans WR's cant this year.I've pretty much made up my mind that if I throw towards whoever you're defending Ill get picked off,but when I have one of my men in single coverage against cpu,the cpu either ints it ,drops the ball or even if I catch it,it gets knocked out as soon as any contact occurs.I said earlier when I do complete passes its atleast 75% luck.Ravens passing game aint better than the Texans,they took Carrs arm this year and made it worse than Bollers,he cant even hit a man on a deep streak.Like I said earlier to you the cone just gives great D teams an even bigger advantage against the pass cause it gives you an idea of where I'm throwing and if I look away and dont get it off quick enough I'm sacked do to hotblocking not working for shit.Last year you picked me off atleast twice a game after you got real good at CB,this year its doubled cause of the cone.

I know I sound like a broken record,but I love Madden and its just bothering me so much to not be able to compete 90% time with my Texans this year...I truly dont want to use other teams.

Ramirez

Hehe, I was right from the start. You EA fankids are finally starting to come around

Learn to read Kotex,I said the precision passing,not the cone.I'm not having trouble with "people camping my cone" :lol

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what is the point of revoting? we can't turn the cone off online anyways, even if we wanted to.

It will make Konex feel better.

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
matrix, get on AIM real quick

Why dude?,I'm in the middle of watching the Stros :(

Top Bottom