• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal next week

Always wondered what the devs who made the first game are doing now? I loved Illusion Softworks games - Hidden & Dangerous, Vietcong, Mafia. Was very interested in their game Enemy in Sight before Atari took the i.p after IS became 2K Czech.

Daniel Vavra was director and lead designer on Mafia 1 and also worked on Mafia 2. He's now developing a CryEngine game Kingdom Come.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I enjoyed the last one, hope this one is even better. Lots of potential for greatness here.

Just a quick glance at Linkedin shows that dozens of 2K Czech employees relocated to Novato in 2013. Designers, artists, programmers. It's hardly a clean break. Haden is the studio head, Matthias Worch is the design director.

If the mains are not there its not the same and you know it. A team is important as videogames are not usually one man does everything type of things, but that doesnt mean that a captain or various captains can make a game be amazing or fail even with a talented team behind.

sn00zer

Mafia 2 had some of the best mission design last gen and was one of the best shooters....
Im excited

Also there is a snowball chance in hell of the playboy collectible coming back

Tainted

Let's hope Mafia 3 becomes the game Mafia 2 was supposed to be ....so much cut content during development of that game. It still turned out great nonetheless

This is pretty sweet, but it'd be sweeter if they remake/remaster the first game... still think the first game outclasses the grand theft auto series

Gamescom? MS? DX12 support seems more likely than any sort of console exclusivity. When's the last time 2K/Take-Two put out a game that was exclusive to one console?

Mr. Tibbs

If the mains are not there its not the same and you know it. A team is important as videogames are not usually one man does everything type of things, but that doesnt mean that a captain or various captains can make a game be amazing or fail even with a talented team behind.

I never said it was the same. I said it wasn't a clean break, which it isn't. There's a huge number of people who have carried over to Mafia 3, including some of the leads. It's similar to how Kingdom Come isn't made by the exact same team that made Mafia 1 & 2, and Bioshock Infinite wasn't made by the exact same team that made Bio 1.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. That said, if the developers website is anything to go by, Mafia 3 is going to be a departure from Mafia 2. They're building their own tech for the game.

Goldrusher

Where is this Louisiana talk coming from?
7lF7Diu.jpg

Stiler

Hmm Louisiana.

I'd REALLY love if they had some Cajun/Creole accents in the game. Seriously those accents are great and so underused in films/games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnFvcl23qg

However really, another "back from the war" story? Why do we need that, they don't need to re-tread the steps from the second game with him returning from WWII and now this guy returning from Nam

Also would be nice if they had an Appalachian accented person.
https://youtu.be/03iwAY4KlIU?t=1m18s

I think a 1920's era setting in the deep south with moonshiners/bootleggers would have been interesting, set around the rural areas of the deep south as opposed to the more city setting of the previous games.

Kiko

70s? Louisianna? I'm in.
I totally forgot about the series tbh. Nice and came out of nowhere for me. Hope it is not too far away.

ekim

Forgive me my ignorance: what is typical for Louisiana outside of swamp? Genuine question - as an European, I don't know much about the single states in the US. :p

Warablo

I wonder if the free-roam will be any fun in this one. I know Mafia 2 had great linear missions and stuff, but the free-roam was worthless. Though driving around LA Noir, Mafia and Godfather was special.

Mr Swine

Banned
I hope they have Some of the gameplay stuff that made Mafia 1 so fantastic together with Mafia 2.

Like:

Red lights
Speed limit, cops stop you if you drive to fast
Driving on the wrong side of the road, cops will stop you (I think)
Reloading a half full weapon will lose that amount of ammo

There is probably some other stuff I'm missing from Mafia, but that wasn't in Mafia 2

kanuuna

I hope they have Some of the gameplay stuff that made Mafia 1 so fantastic together with Mafia 2.

Like:

Red lights

There is probably some other stuff I'm missing from Mafia, but that wasn't in Mafia 2

If you shot up a place in Mafia II, it would later be closed as a crime scene (taped over), and if the police saw you return they'd try to apprehend you.
Unless this was just a crazy dream I had.

Mr Swine

Banned
If you shot up a place in Mafia II, it would later be closed as a crime scene (taped over), and if the police saw you return they'd try to apprehend you.

Yeah that happens in Mafia II and made a world of difference compared to other games!

R1CHO

Also please less driving

I was playing GTAV the other week, and while overall I enjoy the story and characters, I ended up tired of driving around and looking for the next mission start point.

Don't get me wrong, these are open world games and all that, BUT I think that an option for a more linear approach would be an improvement on the experience for a lot of people.

I would like to be able to turn an option on, and then just automatically jump from character to character and mission start to mission start in the case of GTAV for example; while of course being able to just roam around for a while when I so decide.

The thing is, nowdays there are a lot of open world games with very fast movement, stuff like saints rows, prototype, infamous, just cause etc. So going back to the more "realistic" titles like GTA, LA Noire or Mafia can be a pain in the ass sometimes... specially when the setting just doesn't do it for you, like L.A. for me in the case of GTAV.

Coflash

Hopefully they don't dumb it down even further with crap gameplay and cringe-worthy characters/dialogue.

The differences between Mafia and Mafia 2 were polarising.

ekim

Mafia 2 was just perfect for me in terms of being linear but also open. If I wanted to, I could go for a ride or walk but there were no distracting fetch quests or side missions. I also loved the fact that you woke up in your ever-changing apartment after each mission. And the city was perfectly designed - I still have the save game for the winter setting, just to cruise around.

This is true.

I played the demo more than 20 hours only seeing how the AI interacted with the city.
You can also do a shoot out on the middle of the street and the police will come eventually, if they dont see you gun someone and see an NPC trying to shoot you, they will go after the NPC. If that NPC is black they will tell him to surrender, while the guy will put his gun back on the floor and his arms in his head, the cops will talk to each other while pointing him with the gun. The NPC will get up when they are not looking and try to escape (with no gun) and the police will shoot him unmercifully.

The physix destruction was also amazing. Loved destroying oil stores.

Lug Nuts

Banned

Like:

Red lights

Such cool additions that sets the game apart from others, don't forget the simulation driving physics too! I really hope they don't water this down for bigger sales, everyone i know hates the speed limits but for me it helps immerse myself in the realistic world they created. I honestly think if they water this down to be another GTA type game it won't stand out in the crowd as much and will probably flop. Keep it true!

Emedan

I'm psyched about the location and time period! Goodfellas here we come!

I loved Mafia II; thought it was a real underrated gem. Never played the first though.

Looking forward to this reveal.

The first one is simply amazing, I played it so much!

I absolutely enjoyed the first one on pc, second game is still on the backlog.
It wasn't as good right? I could use a remaster too as I'm not really playing on pc anymore.

if mafia 3 is doing multiple protagonists (4 of these characters)

the i rather have it be a sort of linear system where you switch at different points more so than a GTA V system

i loved the GTA V switch system, but im not sure it would fit in mafia 3

now that i think about it...many people are speculating that these 4 are all protagonists

but remember mafia 2 artwork had 4 characters, and we all know only vito was protagonist

28050.jpg

so mafia 3 protagonist could just be the tall guy on the second to left..what do you guys think?

do you expect 1 protagonist or multiple protagonists like gta 5

Top Bottom