• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal next week

Alienous

now that i think about it...many people are speculating that these 4 are all protagonists

but remember mafia 2 artwork had 4 characters, and we all know only vito was protagonist

28050.jpg

so mafia 3 protagonist could just be the tall guy on the second to left..what do you guys think?

do you expect 1 protagonist or multiple protagonists like gta 5

Lots of artwork has multiple characters. The Mafia 2 one was the protagonist walking ahead of the rest, so he is marked as the main character. No one person seems distinct in the Mafia 3 artwork. There is the tallest guy that sort of stands out. The person in the foreground also stands out, and you could make the argument that he is the protagonist and the others are crime bosses.

To me the immediate conclusion to draw is that it's CO-OP of some sort. Multiple protagonists in the way GTA V handles them really balloons at more than three characters. Instead of 6 'connections' (each character's connection with the other two characters) there would be double that (12, each character's connection to the other three characters). That seems like a complicated narrative to try to weave, and because of that I think it's more likely that to be a cooperative game where each player controls a single protagonist.

Lots of artwork has multiple characters. The Mafia 2 one was the protagonist walking ahead of the rest, so he is marked as the main character. No one person seems distinct in the Mafia 3 artwork. There is the tallest guy that sort of stands out. The person in the foreground also stands out, and you could make the argument that he is the protagonist and the others are crime bosses.

To me the immediate conclusion to draw is that it's CO-OP of some sort. Multiple protagonists in the way GTA V handles them really balloons at more than three characters. Instead of 6 'connections' (each character's connection with the other two characters) there would be double that (12, each character's connection to the other three characters). That seems like a complicated narrative to try to weave, and because of that I think it's more likely that to be a cooperative game where each player controls a single protagonist.
so in mafia 3...do you think all those 4 will be protagonists?

You're getting all that from a shadowy piece of artwork that's meant to be a teaser to the main reveal?

It could just easily be a revenge story and those are the four bosses you need to take down throughout the story.

What is interesting about Louisiana? In True Detective, it looked like Velen.

It's just uncommon in games. There's nothing about Louisiana — or any American location, at this point — that objectively warrants that reaction. If you don't personally like Louisiana, then it's just a backdrop.

Alienous

You're getting all that from a shadowy piece of artwork that's meant to be a teaser to the main reveal?

It could just easily be a revenge story and those are the four bosses you need to take down throughout the story.

I did mention that possibility.

You can get a lot of information from a "shadowy piece of artwork". Then you can leapfrog using what you know. It's safe to say it isn't a kart racer. It's safe to say it doesn't take place on the moon.

The creator of the poster obviously wasn't ignorant of the elements in the game. Choosing this as a teaser means that it likely has something to say about the game.

Too bad it was pulled from steam. I would love to check it out.

Was it song licensing? Hoping that the mafia announcement will come with a mafia 1 remake/remaster announcement. It is firmly the better entry in the series, when 2K Czech was not all about chasing GTA, and it's actually an entirely unique game. Still one of my GOATs :)

There are ways ;)

Anything legal? I really don't want to rip it - and my physical copy is damaged.

GeoramA

I want to be able to shake down store owners, like in the Godfather games. It was so fun smacking them around until they finally gave in.

Shredderi

Hopefully only one playable protagonist. GTAV did the whole switching between characters and I didn't like it since it doesn't allow the characters to get enough
character development. I'd rather follow the story of one character and have that one story be as developed as possible.

Walpurgis

Banned
It's just uncommon in games. There's nothing about Louisiana — or any American location, at this point — that objectively warrants that reaction. If you don't personally like Louisiana, then it's just a backdrop.
I wouldn't really mind it because, as you said, it's just a random spot in America. However, I think that there are better places to tell a Mafia story. I haven't played the first two games in the series but places like Chicago and Las Vegas seem like better choices.

I wouldn't really mind it because, as you said, it's just a random spot in America. However, I think that there are better places to tell a Mafia story. I haven't played the first two games in the series but places like Chicago and Las Vegas seem like better choices.

Mafia 2's city was already a combination of 5 major cities, including Chicago. They probably wanted something notably different from past games and competition.

Say what you want about Louisiana, but it has only showed up in 1 other open world game lately (Infamous 2) and it's vastly different than most typical VG locations.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Mafia set in Louisiana is very odd, especially in the 70s. But I'm all for it if they keep it interesting.

Well that's the question. Is it even gonna involve proper Mafia, or just standard gangs/criminals.

If it's the latter, awesome. Northern Louisiana and certain parts of New Orleans can be pretty fucking scary/shady places. Perfect for an open-world crime game. Dumping bodies in the swamp n shit.

Louisiana? I'm thinking airboat chases through the bayou! :D I wanted GTA5 to go back to Vice City for airboat chases in the everglades, but this will do nicely.

Whatever they do I just hope Mafia 3 is better than 2, which I found pretty disappointing.

Walpurgis

Banned
Mafia 2's city was already a combination of 5 major cities, including Chicago. They probably wanted something notably different from past games and competition.

Say what you want about Louisiana, but it has only showed up in 1 other open world game lately (Infamous 2) and it's vastly different than most typical VG locations.
I thought inFamous 2 was New Orleans (New Marais). I never liked that place but I guess the swamps would be good for hiding dead bodies. :p

I thought inFamous 2 was New Orleans (New Marais). I never liked that place but I guess the swamps would be good for hiding dead bodies. :p

Well yeah, New Orleans is the largest city in Louisiana. Going by the last 2 games it will probably be a fake city that draws from New Orleans and Baton Rouge(Capital of Louisiana). Though who knows, they might do away with fake stuff and just have a real city this time.

Kabouter

Assassin's Creed: Liberation (HD) was set in Louisiana.

Amir0x

Banned
What is interesting about Louisiana? In True Detective, it looked like Velen.

Louisiana as a setting is amazing if it was used for the right purpose. It's basically one of the "hearts" of the Southern Gothic genre with its misty swamps, weeping willows encroaching menacingly over the gilded pediment and intricately carved columns of the grand plantation manors. Old Cajun swamp men spitting tobacco while they glare at you through the veil, their unruly beards bouncing about at the slightest turn of the head. Shafts of moonlight penetrating the dense Cypress Tree wall.

mmmm

MattyG

Banned
New teaser pic;

CLkCOdgXAAAX7-M.png

The light chromatic abberation makes me think the trailer will be in-game. Seriously though, this looks achievable for a next-gen only game, so why bother with a CG trailer?

Top Bottom